Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Ties

Started by twistitup, November 16, 2017, 07:12:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

J Long forgot the importance of having ties to the home state. I heard on JB this morning that 1 out of 18 administrators working under J Long was from Arkansas. I guess he truly cleaned house upon arrival...didn't sit well w the Ark 💰 folks

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: twistitup on November 16, 2017, 07:12:50 am
J Long forgot the importance of having ties to the home state. I heard on JB this morning that 1 out of 18 administrators working under J Long was from Arkansas. I guess he truly cleaned house upon arrival...didn't sit well w the Ark 💰 folks

I hope they hire the best person for the job regardless of where he/she hails from. 1/18 sounds strange though. I am sure we have a lot of qualified admins in Arkansas, so it sounds like some kind of agenda.

Inhogswetrust

I always wondered why he made a complete total break from the past. He had every right to establish himself as the boss and all but dang not to keep some of them is baffling when you have to deal with so many things. I do know at the time some boosters were not happy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawginj

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 16, 2017, 07:19:06 am
I hope they hire the best person for the job regardless of where he/she hails from. 1/18 sounds strange though. I am sure we have a lot of qualified admins in Arkansas, so it sounds like some kind of agenda.
truth great post.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 16, 2017, 07:19:06 am

Agree.  Hire the best person for the job no matter where they are from. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hawg IQ

go hogs go !

rhog1

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 16, 2017, 08:25:07 am
Agree.  Hire the best person for the job no matter where they are from. 
It should be this simple. Unfortunately too many want to stick us with Arkansans only no matter what. 

DeuceHawg

He probably wanted to distance himself from the Broyles administration.  Especially since he was still working with the university.

ipigsooie

This guy has arkansas razorback ties

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Long didn't care about ties or relationships with Arkansans. His priority was milking boosters and donors of everything he could get out of them.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Salted Pork

Because it's simple: Most Arkansans don't have the specific skills required to run a quarter billion dollar operation. This isn't your grandpa's machine shop we're talking about. You do need to bring in outsiders who know how to get stuff done. This whole "Arkansans know best" mentality is how we had a 60% athletic graduation rate pre-Long.

hoglady

Quote from: DeuceHawg on November 16, 2017, 08:31:57 am
He probably wanted to distance himself from the Broyles administration.  Especially since he was still working with the university.

Understandable.
But should have kept a few folks on that understood the state and the traditions - it would have served him well while still moving the athletic department forward.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

IF the Hogville archives go back that far, go look at how many people posted they wanted the new AD, whoever it was going to end up being, to clean house to rid the school of the influence of the good ole boy network. Now, it seems everyone wants the gobn back.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Seebs

Would you like to tie me up with one of your ties, Ty?
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

East Clintwood

With one of these, all of your ties can be Arkansas ties.

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

BadHog

We do need a candidate that will spread good will through out the state and beyond. There is the perfect candidate whose name has not been mentioned much but brings every qualification to the table:
Smart, business guy
People person
Management skills
Insight into athletics
Actually played for the Hogs, QB
Understands the monetary responsibilities
GREAT speaker
Kevin Scanlon
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: Salted Pork on November 16, 2017, 08:42:30 am
Because it's simple: Most Arkansans don't have the specific skills required to run a quarter billion dollar operation. This isn't your grandpa's machine shop we're talking about. You do need to bring in outsiders who know how to get stuff done. This whole "Arkansans know best" mentality is how we had a 60% athletic graduation rate pre-Long.

This.

dhizzle

The new AD just needs more than one person from Arkansas working for him. By looking at post on this board and listening to the radio that was Jeff Longs biggest downfall.

dfwalumdad

do you know why they call a prostitute a professional or a "pro"? because she has  no emotional attachment to her client. no passion.

we want people who have an emotional attachment to the razorbacks and we also would hope those people who would have the integrity to not cross the line ethically in pursuit of their passion for the razorbacks.

right now we have a lady from Indiana who's been in the department for a little over a year, with no ties to arkansas what so ever. who's primary function now is to bring in her replacement  who will likely fire her.

good luck with that, but hey she's a "pro" she a virgin i swear joe, she love you long time!

go hogues

This desire to keep it all "in the family" has always been the state of Arkansas' achilles heel.

From the national perception of inbred hillbillies to being skeptical of outside people and businesses, this state has a long history of xenophobia.

Bobby Petrino and Nolan Richardson weren't Arkansans or even southerners and they did ok here...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BigBrandonAllenFan

Brad Teague is doing a great job at UCA.  He is from Tennessee and is a former NASCAR driver.  All the sports programs at UCA are solid right now.

twistitup

Quote from: go hogues on November 16, 2017, 09:20:50 am
This desire to keep it all "in the family" has always been the state of Arkansas' achilles heel.

From the national perception of inbred hillbillies to being skeptical of outside people and businesses, this state has a long history of xenophobia.

What country did you want to hire an AD from?

xen·o·pho·bi·a

ˌzenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēa
noun

intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MountieDawg

SEC!

hogsanity

what, exactly, does " understands Arkansas" even mean?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grag T

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 11:04:10 am

Ya know...our culture...the way we do things...our people...

Am I on track?

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 16, 2017, 11:06:03 am

Am I on track?

You mean still fighting the civial war, fat, undereducated, always thinking someone is out to get us, the man is always trying to keep us down----stuff like that?

Broadway Rob

This is complete BS.  There are tons of educated and well-versed individuals who could work well within the athletic directors office.  When Long was hired, it was a concerted effort to block out Arkansas folks. 

That was his prerogative, and I neither agree or disagree with it. 
Although, it seems as if that was ultimately the cause of his demise.   
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Grag T

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 11:27:05 am
You mean still fighting the civial war, fat, undereducated, always thinking someone is out to get us, the man is always trying to keep us down----stuff like that?

No, that's BLM
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Roy Bacon

Quote from: BadHog on November 16, 2017, 09:08:01 am
We do need a candidate that will spread good will through out the state and beyond. There is the perfect candidate whose name has not been mentioned much but brings every qualification to the table:
Smart, business guy
People person
Management skills
Insight into athletics
GREAT speaker
Kevin Scanlon

interesting ... what is he doing now ?
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

ricepig

26.2Hog

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 16, 2017, 09:16:36 am

right now we have a lady from Indiana who's been in the department for a little over a year, with no ties to arkansas what so ever. who's primary function now is to bring in her replacement  who will likely fire her.

Uh, no. She won't be hiring the new AD.

rljjr

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 16, 2017, 09:09:16 am
This.

No. Not that. Most people don't have the ability to run multi-million dollar companies. It is not just an Arkansas thing. Stop downgrading the state -- even if that wasn't your point.

There are tons of successful business people in Arkansas. The trick is finding the right balance of smart business people with the common sense of an everyday understanding of the needs and desires of the people of Arkansas, the University, the Alumni base and the students. Culture counts.

I completely ynderstand what he was trying to do. It just didn't work. A more moderate approach is what the people need.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: BadHog on November 16, 2017, 09:08:01 am
Smart, business guy
People person
Management skills
Insight into athletics
GREAT speaker
Kevin Scanlon

I have seen a lot of really dumb posts in the last few days but this is definitely not one of them.  I agree that he would be a good fit and matches really all the necessary criteria.  People may not like him because he's a Yankee though.   

BadHog

Can she go ahead and fire Bielema?
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 11:04:10 am

I typed out a few paragraphs and realized...it's a waste of time.  We'll always have simple minded fans who want to have simple minded folks in positions of power, making the decisions. 

Just take one example.  JL comes in to clean up, rid the UA of the unhealthy outside influence that was impacting internal decisions, and promptly hires CBP.  It looks like a brilliant move, things are going great, and fans are showing up in droves.  Then Petrino screws up, and he gets himself fired by the UA (Again, don't kid yourself people, Jeff didn't fire him autonomously). 

A series of poor football hires ensues, even though many felt they were good on paper, and he's on the outside looking in. 

Now...we are subjected to all of the "other" things that he was doing wrong, which had ZERO to do with CBB not winning football games, beyond Jeff Long hiring him. 

I have a LOT of other rational thoughts on it, but rational doesn't seem to be the theme of the day.  We can't move on amicably on Hogville...it cannot happen.  :-) 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: BadHog on November 16, 2017, 12:25:36 pm
Can she go ahead and fire Bielema?

I'll tell you what...she can fire CBB without about as much authority and lack of influence by the UA as Jeff Long was able to fire CBP.   ;)   ZERO.  No AD makes that decision without the UA's support, and or being dictated to. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 16, 2017, 12:29:14 pm
I typed out a few paragraphs and realized...it's a waste of time.  We'll always have simple minded fans who want to have simple minded folks in positions of power, making the decisions. 

Just take one example.  JL comes in to clean up, rid the UA of the unhealthy outside influence that was impacting internal decisions, and promptly hires CBP.  It looks like a brilliant move, things are going great, and fans are showing up in droves.  Then Petrino screws up, and he gets himself fired by the UA (Again, don't kid yourself people, Jeff didn't fire him autonomously). 

A series of poor football hires ensues, even though many felt they were good on paper, and he's on the outside looking in. 

Now...we are subjected to all of the "other" things that he was doing wrong, which had ZERO to do with CBB not winning football games, beyond Jeff Long hiring him. 

I have a LOT of other rational thoughts on it, but rational doesn't seem to be the theme of the day.  We can't move on amicably on Hogville...it cannot happen.  :-) 

Basically they want whatever they do not have. Have some good ole boys in charge, they want that gone. Have outsiders in charge, they want them gone.

sickboy

Quote from: twistitup on November 16, 2017, 10:50:18 am
What country did you want to hire an AD from?

xen·o·pho·bi·a

ˌzenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēa
noun

intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

In context though, xenophobia kinda works. In the sense that you understood what he was saying. Maybe we should come up with a word that means you have a strong distrust of any person out side of your local communities. Maybe... Xylophobia. Although that sounds like you're afraid of Xylophones. That could be a thing actually. Xylophones can sound creepy.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 16, 2017, 12:40:16 pm
Basically they want whatever they do not have. Have some good ole boys in charge, they want that gone. Have outsiders in charge, they want them gone.

I'm reporting this second hand...but from a reliable source.  Take it for what it's worth.  When Nolan was on the hot seat, and went bonkers in that press conference daring us to fire him, I was told that John Tyson was in Broyle's office within hours insisting he be canned immediately.  Frank told him it wasn't that easy, and that there was also some big retirement guarantees and other things that the UA would be on the hook for paying.  JT pulled out his checkbook and said, "How much?" 

Now...I wasn't standing there, but that's the type of influence that we are talking about back in the GOBN days.  I don't see how that can possibly be healthy for the UA moving forward.  If the Stephens come forward and say, "We'll offer x in funding and help with funding a WMS remodel, if you'll keep one conference game in WMS a year," then that's fine.  Weigh that out...what makes sense?  But if it turns into, "I'm not sending a penny more to the school unless you fire coach A, hire contracter B for the construction project, and put player x,y, and z on scholarship," then that's a different story.  That was absolutely going on back in the day.  It takes a lot of savvy and business knowledge to know how to appease that many people, and you can't just hire anyone to do it.     

You can entertain offers...but you can't cower to threats.  I think JL was charged with eliminating that element from the UA athletics, and now people want to crucify him for it.  Did he potentially go overboard?  I think probably so, but again...if CBB was winning, we aren't even typing right now.   

jvanhorn

do you know why they call a prostitute a professional or a "pro"? because she has  no emotional attachment to her client. no passion.

we want people who have an emotional attachment to the razorbacks and we also would hope those people who would have the integrity to not cross the line ethically in pursuit of their passion for the razorbacks.

good luck with that, but hey she's a "pro" she a virgin i swear joe, she love you long time!

This is an interesting rant.  It doesn't make much sense and rambles all over the place, but it is kind of interesting, lol.

aloha_kid

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 16, 2017, 11:06:03 am

Am I on track?

Interesting take.  I wonder how many people in NW Arkansas moved there in the past 20 years.  I wonder if they understand the culture, or do they understand business.  Seems to me, NW Arkansas is a shadow of what it used to be.  One need only visit Bentonville, Rogers or any other town in NW Arkansas to realize, it isn't what it used to be and that the culture shifted drastically.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 16, 2017, 12:53:29 pm
This is an interesting rant.  It doesn't make much sense and rambles all over the place, but it is kind of interesting, lol.

Ha
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: sickboy on November 16, 2017, 12:48:00 pm
In context though, xenophobia kinda works. In the sense that you understood what he was saying. Maybe we should come up with a word that means you have a strong distrust of any person out side of your local communities. Maybe... Xylophobia. Although that sounds like you're afraid of Xylophones. That could be a thing actually. Xylophones can sound creepy.

I have always appreciated the way you think

311Hog

i don't understand the Arkansas Ties part. I mean our Chancellor doesn't have Arkansas ties is he the next to go?  are we about to purge anyone and everyone that works for the UofA that doesn't have a tie to the state?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 11:54:54 am
Bureau of Land Management?

Must be, surely he is not so casual a bigot as to have meant anything else.

Athog

Better hire best people for the job not worry about the
Inbreeding! Only the insecure would want people just from
Arkansas. We do not want just players just from Arkansas ..do we?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 16, 2017, 12:48:58 pm
I'm reporting this second hand...but from a reliable source.  Take it for what it's worth.  When Nolan was on the hot seat, and went bonkers in that press conference daring us to fire him, I was told that John Tyson was in Broyle's office within hours insisting he be canned immediately.  Frank told him it wasn't that easy, and that there was also some big retirement guarantees and other things that the UA would be on the hook for paying.  JT pulled out his checkbook and said, "How much?" 

Now...I wasn't standing there, but that's the type of influence that we are talking about back in the GOBN days.  I don't see how that can possibly be healthy for the UA moving forward.  If the Stephens come forward and say, "We'll offer x in funding and help with funding a WMS remodel, if you'll keep one conference game in WMS a year," then that's fine.  Weigh that out...what makes sense?  But if it turns into, "I'm not sending a penny more to the school unless you fire coach A, hire contracter B for the construction project, and put player x,y, and z on scholarship," then that's a different story.  That was absolutely going on back in the day.  It takes a lot of savvy and business knowledge to know how to appease that many people, and you can't just hire anyone to do it.     

You can entertain offers...but you can't cower to threats.  I think JL was charged with eliminating that element from the UA athletics, and now people want to crucify him for it.  Did he potentially go overboard?  I think probably so, but again...if CBB was winning, we aren't even typing right now.   

This last sentence needs to be stamped on all these threads. Every single one.

HawgWild

Because it's simple: Most Arkansans don't have the specific skills required to run a quarter billion dollar operation.

I'm guessing this statement is true in all states. It only takes a couple though. Right Sam? Don? JB?

buldozer

This has to be the stupidest post I have ever read on this board. Total BS by an non-arkansan who knows nothing about Arkansas obviously.