Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the Man we Need

Started by WilsonHog, November 15, 2017, 04:49:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

WilsonHog

Quote from: RebHog on November 15, 2017, 06:17:50 pm
WRONG! I don't give a chit if he couldn't point out Arkansas on a map as long as he could come here and win! Cultivate a relationship with fans....really its a simple answer....WIN! I mean hell if BB was winning we wouldn't be saying he looks dumbfounded with those looks on the sidelines we would be saying that's Socrates thinking up his next genius idea!

I expect you will see that our next AD at the very least has Arkansas connections, and probably will be a former Razorback.

By the way, if Long possessed the characteristics I outlined, he likely would still be our AD.

RebHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 15, 2017, 06:25:40 pm
I expect you will see that our next AD at the very least has Arkansas connections, and probably will be a former Razorback.

By the way, if Long possessed the characteristics I outlined, he likely would still be our AD.

Well as long as he is the right man for the job I am all for it. I just hate to tie a string that it must be an Arkansas guy. I want THE BEST guy we can possibly get.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: a0ashle on November 15, 2017, 05:19:51 pm
Why do people think that Arkansas is some super special snowflake that only people from Arkansas can comprehend. Lived and grew up in Arkansas and now live in CO, and I don't see it being all that unique, to be honest.

Actually, you've completely missed the whole point.

It's not about understanding the people of Arkansas that matters.  Or whether they are all that unique.  It's about CONSIDERING all the people of Arkansas when football and basketball decisions are made by the athlete director.

Whatever you think of Long, it's hard to argue that he has closed more doors on the people in east, SE, and south Arkansas with some or maybe even a lot of his business decisions involving the Razorback football program.

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 15, 2017, 06:08:12 pm
LOL, isn't that like hiring a high school football coach to be the next Razorback coach and telling he can learn how this all works when he get here.

Yep. We go from ditch to ditch so that feels about right.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

jdelo77

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 15, 2017, 04:49:12 pm
We need an athletic director who understands what the Razorbacks mean to our State as a whole, from Fayetteville to Marianna, from Piggott to Foreman, and all points in between.

We need an athletic director who understands Arkansas, our culture, and values that we are really three or four States in one.

We need an athletic director who understands and appreciates the history of our program, our traditions and rituals.

We need an athletic director who can walk into Community Grocery in Osceola one afternoon and into a $1,000 a plate dinner in Bentonville that night and make both groups of people feel equally important.

We need an athletic director who understands the critical nature of cultivating relationships with all Razorback fans.

Find that man, and then let's go hire our next football coach.

Alright I'm ready .shared this by the way

Boardon Hamsay

After carefully rereading the OP, I have concluded that OTR, or Overtheroadtruckdriver for the newer folk, should be our next AD. Native Arkansan. Knows folks all over the state. Loves the Hogs. And, as some of you know already, he was the best basketball player Logan County ever produced. This should happen ASAP.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

RedRock

Athog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 15, 2017, 05:39:28 pm
Scott Varady. From Little Rock, attorney, currently leads the Razorback Foundation.  Arkansas Grad.  Hand on the pulse of boosters and common fans alike. 

Good choice!

KA-BLAM

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 15, 2017, 04:50:49 pm

Sounds like Dr. Sean Rochelle to me.

Quote from: TebowHater on November 15, 2017, 05:28:55 pm
He's not a hog.

Look, I don't post much and I have not spoke to Sean in a while, but I've got to stick up for family. Our grandfather made sure we were going be to Hogs no matter where we went to school. I have no idea whether he would be interested or not, and granted he didn't play at Arkansas, but you won't find a bigger Hog. I know he put his heart and soul into his time at the Foundation.
Whole Hog, Half Ham, ARKANSAS BY DAMN!!!

elviscat

Hooter, nowhere near the program. Tom Bowen, Memphis would be a great hire.

ricepig

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 15, 2017, 06:40:04 pm

It's not about understanding the people of Arkansas that matters.  Or whether they are all that unique.  It's about CONSIDERING all the people of Arkansas when football and basketball decisions are made by the athlete director.

Whatever you think of Long, it's hard to argue that he has closed more doors on the people in east, SE, and south Arkansas with some or maybe even a lot of his business decisions involving the Razorback football program.

How's that?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 15, 2017, 06:40:04 pm

Like Wilson (err, the Arkansas Traveler said) this guy has to be someone who can directly relate to the fans all over the state, be a politician at the same time and be an effective businessman on behalf of the University. That is what good AD's are made of. Long was a good businessman, he just wasn't good with the people. You have to be able to make folks think and buy-into, that what you are doing is for the best of the University and the people, otherwise you lose support. You have to be able to kiss the babies while stealing their candy and everyone thinks it is the right thing to do, while leaving your options open. Difficult job.
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Varady or Hill from names mentioned.  Quinn flunked coach hiring.  Will concede that was 20 years ago.

redeye

We need an athletic director who understands what the Razorbacks mean to our State as a whole, from Fayetteville to Marianna, from Piggott to Foreman, and all points in between.

We need an athletic director who understands Arkansas, our culture, and values that we are really three or four States in one.

We need an athletic director who understands and appreciates the history of our program, our traditions and rituals.

We need an athletic director who can walk into Community Grocery in Osceola one afternoon and into a $1,000 a plate dinner in Bentonville that night and make both groups of people feel equally important.

We need an athletic director who understands the critical nature of cultivating relationships with all Razorback fans.

It sounds like you're describing Forest City Joe.  ;D

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 15, 2017, 06:25:40 pm

I think you are probably right about that, and to the point they will choose an almost unqualified candidate if he is from here. That and the candidate will not run the department unencumbered. They will look for someone who will look to them for approval. As someone stated GOBN 2.0.

As for your original list, nothing on that list requires having even driven through the state to do all those things. I think Jeff did what he thought was asked of him. Get the tentacles of the GOBN out of the department. It remains to be seen whether doing so caused the failure to connect with the state, or if it was just this personality, but not being from Arkansas didn't prevent him from connecting. A smart manager would have consulted someone to help guide him in how the state works and the particular quirks of the state. Where the Dr. was standing when he slapped his hiney at birth is not nearly as important as can he connect and also do a good job. Having said that I am not naive. I know that the first qualification for those doing the hiring was slapped on his butt at birth by a doctor wearing Razorback red gloves at the time. ;D 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

BOAR_N2BWILD

I heard Kevin Scanlon's name mentioned today.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

moses_007

Steve Sullivan from KATV.  He's all-Hog... just like his predecessor, Paul Eells.

jnhogs

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 15, 2017, 05:56:49 pm
Dilly! Dilly! I vote for this one.  This committee could vote on themselves and we would get a Blood Red Razorback.

This

Hawgphat

Quote from: jcbville on November 15, 2017, 04:50:55 pm
Tall order. And what if all those traits exist in a woman?

Keep looking.

::)

bennyl08

Plenty of people can meet those requirements and not have a clue how to manage a budget, what to look for in hiring a coach, and not be able to bring in money either.

What we need in an athletic director is somebody who can bring in the money, who can spot and recruit good coaches, who can schedule games, manage compliance of the rules, promote the athletic program, and mange the budget and facilities.

Long was excellent at all of those except arguably one, the hiring and firing of coaches. Even then, 95% chance that Auburn would have hired Bielema if they knew he was in play over Gus in 2013. Who wouldn't want to hire a coach that went to 3 straight BCS bowls?

I could not care less if the AD can even correctly pronounce Arkansas before the press conference if they can do the job well. I don't want our program to go back to when we had some of the crappier facilities in the conference because we couldn't afford better. When we couldn't afford to hire coaches or were afraid of relatively small buyouts even. Sure, all else being equal, yeah, I'd rather a guy who already knew about our state and program. Otherwise, I'd rather somebody who is a complete stranger to the state that is slightly better at being an AD than somebody who meets all of your needs to a T but isn't as skilled at actually performing the job of being the AD.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

forrest city joe

We need all that. but the main thing we need is an A.D. who tells all his coaches that their man job is to win.WIN GAMES! that is the main reason they were hired.no excuses,just win.

HBTHogs

Hogaholism

007 License To Squeal

I think someone from the Camden area would be great.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

WorfHog

No, we just need to go find the best AD we can.  ;)

swineology

Obvious choice, Kevin Trainor

moses_007

Might be the perfect time for Jimmy Johnson to come back home.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: elviscat on November 15, 2017, 05:40:54 pm
We need to start with a selection committee: Jerry Jones Chair with Ken Hatfield, Jim Lindsey, Terry Don Phillips, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and other great Razorbacks to bring back the hog tradition to the program. I think Terry Don would be a great starting place for AD until we can hire the special person we are looking for.

Jim Lindsay does not need to be anywhere close to the process

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 15, 2017, 05:45:57 pm
That OP is Rick Schaefer or he listened to the buzz around 4:15 this evening. Exactly what he said. Almost verbatim.

Lol

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: rickm1976 on November 15, 2017, 05:49:11 pm
I'd be happy with either.

Please stop with the Fitz Hill stuff

He's a good guy. He was a mediocre coach.

So what?

bennyl08

You literally just described Houston Nutt through and through.

When Houston Nutt checks every single box on the list, you've made a faulty list.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: 247Hog on November 15, 2017, 05:52:47 pm
I'm not in any way saying it needs to be him but doesn't Tommy T. fit that well?

No

Nice guy, good coach, so what?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 15, 2017, 08:08:25 pm
Jim Lindsay does not need to be anywhere close to the process
Seconded and thirded

bphi11ips

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 15, 2017, 04:56:14 pm
Sounds like we are looking for a politician instead of an administrator 

A politician can hire administrators.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogindasticks

Chip Kelly would be a definite fit....I think that would be exactly what the program needs...TCU is very good this year.

Rudy Baylor

This thread "Gave America Herpes Again"

HogPhilosophy

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 15, 2017, 08:12:34 pm
You literally just described Houston Nutt through and through.

When Houston Nutt checks every single box on the list, you've made a faulty list.

You obviously don't know Houston Nutt.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razortrack

It's McDonnell, not McDonald!  Hell no to Hootie. He's a scumbag!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 15, 2017, 05:45:57 pm
That OP is Rick Schaefer or he listened to the buzz around 4:15 this evening. Exactly what he said. Almost verbatim.

Hmm....better get a mod on his trail then...

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 15, 2017, 08:21:21 pm
You obviously don't know Houston Nutt.

He a used car snake oil salesman who spent a lot of time in Arkansas.

That's what the OP is apparently looking for.

BILLYBOB

Oh dear God this is such a bunch of bull$hit. Look, fella, the only damn thing we need is someone who will deliver SEC Championships in football and basketball. No one gives a damn if the AD "understands" our values and culture.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

TebowHater

Quote from: swineology on November 15, 2017, 08:03:58 pm

Obvious choice, Kevin Trainor

Another good pick.

Top four for me would be
Varady
Scanlon
Kevin Trainor
Derrick Gragg

snoblind

WilsonHog

Quote from: BILLYBOB on November 15, 2017, 08:35:49 pm
No one gives a damn if the AD "understands" our values and culture.

The people orchestrating (and I use that word purposely) this thing definitely do.

bennyl08

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 15, 2017, 08:48:44 pm
The people orchestrating (and I use that word purposely) this thing definitely do.

Difference between being the person we actually need vs what some snowflakes want.