Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 10, 2024, 07:26:44 pm

Apologies to Senator Pryor

Started by kellyc1925, November 15, 2017, 03:46:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kellyc1925

Last year when BOT was talking about bonds for the expansion it was widely reported on here that Pryor was against it.  He was nervous about not have sustained success yet.
On here there were a ton of folks talking badly about Mr. Pryor.
Seems to me that he was not quite all of the things being said about him.  He was something else though. 
Right.
Long is gone and my guess is that expansion is probably a big part of the reason why.

HoggyCat

Not "probably". And there are numerous other reasons.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

ricepig

So, the other 8 guys didn't know what they were doing? The expansion is fine, lol.

Atlhogfan1

Still believe he was wrong.

Pryor also has stated: "I think we have higher priorities than a football stadium, I just do not think this is the right time to do it."

He was right about higher priorities.  But if you want to compete in this region of the country in football, keeping up is necessary. 

Since RRS was expanded and renovated:

Ole Miss expanded twice
MSU expanded
Ok St expanded
OU expanded
LSU expanded
TCU built essentially a new stadium
A&M built essentially a new stadium
Mizzou expanded
Texas Tech expanded
Bama expanded
Uga expanded

Just some of the many we compete against. 

No issue with the small amount seats being added.  Smart way to do it for Arkansas.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

moses_007

I respect David Pryor.  I have met him and talked to him at length, and he's one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2017, 03:55:35 pm

Pryor also has stated: "I think we have higher priorities than a football stadium, I just do not think this is the right time to do it."

He was right about higher priorities.  But if you want to compete in this region of the country in football, keeping up is necessary. 

Ole Miss expanded twice
MSU expanded
Ok St expanded
OU expanded
LSU expanded
Mizzou expanded
Texas Tech expanded
Bama expanded
Uga expanded

No issue with the small amount seats being added.  Smart way to do it for Arkansas.

I agree.  Everyone wants to be competitive but when we do the things necessary to remain competitive people whine and complain about that.  If we want to be a big time football program in the SEC this is what it takes to stay competitive from a facilities standpoint.   

jcbville

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 03:50:11 pm
So, the other 8 guys didn't know what they were doing? The expansion is fine, lol.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: moses_007 on November 15, 2017, 03:57:29 pm
I respect David Pryor.  I have met him and talked to him at length, and he's one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

I know a lot of nice people that I respect, but that doesn't stop them from being wrong or me from disagreeing with them when I think they are.

FineAsSwine

He tells some really great stories too.

jcbville

November 15, 2017, 04:12:44 pm #9 Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:22:54 pm by jcbville
Where in the hell does the idea that the AD and Jeff Long in particular have all this super secret unsupervised un checked ultimate power come from? That there isnt anyone else involved in any of these decisions? It boggles the mind. Common sense alone tells you that its impossible.

NuttinItUp

People who disagree/agree with him are probably breaking down along the R/D spectrum.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: kellyc1925 on November 15, 2017, 03:46:43 pm
Last year when BOT was talking about bonds for the expansion it was widely reported on here that Pryor was against it.  He was nervous about not have sustained success yet.
Seems to me that he was not quite all of the things being said about him.  He was something else though. 
Right.
Long is gone and my guess is that expansion is probably a big part of the reason why.
At the time, I posted here saying he was only one making any sense. But everyone was all up in arms about making more $ and competing with rest of the SEC. Well, we can't compete with top 8 programs in SEC and spending that kind of $ per seat seemed insane. Still does.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 15, 2017, 04:14:02 pm
At the time, I posted here saying he was only one making any sense. But everyone was all up in arms about making more $ and competing with rest of the SEC. Well, we can't compete with top 8 programs in SEC and spending that kind of $ per seat seemed insane. Still does.

$46m of the expansion is directly related to seating. $40m is for current suite and club level updates, $7m+ for two elevators/towers to help with upper deck and congestion, $6m+ for additional big screen, the rest was to rebuild the BAC,  new game day locker room, team meeting room, and media room.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 04:21:45 pm
$46m of the expansion is directly related to seating. $40m is for current suite and club level updates, $7m+ for two elevators/towers to help with upper deck and congestion, $6m+ for additional big screen, the rest was to rebuild the BAC,  new game day locker room, team meeting room, and media room.

You'd think with all that money floating around, somebody'd put in a Coke vending machine somewhere...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 15, 2017, 04:29:16 pm
You'd think with all that money floating around, somebody'd put in a Coke vending machine somewhere...

There's one in the AD's office, he doesn't drink that Pepsi crap.

Birminghog

David Pryor is one of the finest human beings anybody is ever going to know. When he was 4th district congressman, then governor, then senator, the people of Arkansas could hold their heads high at the level of respect that he engendered. I only wish that were true today, either in Arkansas or in Alabama.

Seebs

When I was a bellman Senator Pryor stiffed me when bringing his car around. He said he would get me next time. He never did. Pryor is lower than whale crap in my opinion.

That was in 1988.  Funny what you remember.  Stiffing POS
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

dfwalumdad

Right.

you understand that was all about keeping games in little rock not being fiscally responsible but it's cute that you thought it was.

bphi11ips

Mr. Long won the battle. Mr. Pryor won the war. No apologies necessary.

Beware of nice politicians.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Speaking of Basic Chain of Command.  Almost all chain of command decisions are rubber stamped based on the commander on the ground and his report.  Two good reasons for this and its always the same.  As the information goes up the chain, its usually approved at the next levels based on what the person immediately under each level reports.  1.  Most important folks don't have actual time to go and know what is happening on the ground. 2.  The thought is I don't really know, say, Jeff Long, but my Guy has been my Guy for 40 years and we've been through the wars together and he never wavers.  If he says Long is gold, its true, period.  So everyone of power was awed by Long firing Petrino and getting the NCAA and every AD in America slobbering all over Longs private parts.  He is basically turned loose.  Now the crap is coming home and Jeff is the scapegoat.  Jeff likely screwed up about everything he touched and was never even questioned.  Now, its pay the fiddler time and the big Guys don't intend to pony up their admission to ignorance.  Wasted money is one thing, admitting stupidity is just not going to happen.  You fire and blame the [CENSORED] who cannot duck.  Today, that was Long, and bless their little hearts.

The byline is, we gave Jeff the job he reportedly knew how to do.  We gave him the leeway to go do his job and when we clearly saw he could not do the job, we made those changes necessary to correct the mistakes.  And then you must finish by saying, now folks, to be fair, we gave Mr. Long every opportunity to do his job, and it was a big job, and we certainly were not intending to be hasty in our decisions to make changes.  Of course, one can only proceed so far before making course corrections and when that time came, those decisions were made and acted upon.  THE TRUTH:  We stumbled in circles likely 4 to 5 years too long with Jeff because we didn't pay attention to detail and let him get, way the hell in, over his head.  Once we couldn't hide from the facts any longer, we fired his ass.  We pray as a group that we've cleaned up the mess so no one can directly find fault with any of us.  Its never about being right, its always being sure you have your ass covered and it looks like our Guys may have handled that part right.

Troll-ingmotor

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

factchecker

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 15, 2017, 04:55:07 pm
you understand that was all about keeping games in little rock not being fiscally responsible but it's cute that you thought it was.

Correct.

Feigned concerned over the campus and students at The University of Arkansas despite us being the only instate program that doesn't steal from their students via mandatory fees.  We are the only self-sufficient instate athletic program but he's worried about how we spend our money.

Funny how you don't hear one peep from Pryor in regards to jonesboro state's stadium renovation despite them taking government money and student fees.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gangstaback

Quote from: factchecker on November 15, 2017, 07:51:03 pm
Correct.

Feigned concerned over the campus and students at The University of Arkansas despite us being the only instate program that doesn't steal from their students via mandatory fees.  We are the only self-sufficient instate athletic program but he's worried about how we spend our money.

Funny how you don't hear one peep from Pryor in regards to jonesboro state's stadium renovation despite them taking government money and student fees.

I would sincerely like to know your opinion of where "donation" money comes from? And where it would go if it weren't "donated" to an athletics program?

Also, if you can share, what is the jonesboro deal worth and is it all state money?

Hoggish1

Right.

Correct.

Hoggish1

Ole Miss expanded twice
MSU expanded
Ok St expanded
OU expanded
LSU expanded
Mizzou expanded
Texas Tech expanded
Bama expanded
Uga expanded

TAMU essentially built a new stadium for 320 mil more than we paid to add 3,500 seats.  That, alone should have gotten Long fired but there was so much more he did that made the expansion the frosting on the firing cake.

factchecker

Quote from: gangstaback on November 15, 2017, 09:30:16 pm
I would sincerely like to know your opinion of where "donation" money comes from? And where it would go if it weren't "donated" to an athletics program?

Also, if you can share, what is the jonesboro deal worth and is it all state money?

Donation money comes from fans like me who are members of the RF and who wish to support their favorite team and/or alma mater.  There are also corporate donations that are given exchange for suites and advertisements.

The money would go wherever the donor wanted it to go if not the athletic program.  You can't automatically designate that the money would go to the campus or students seeing that a decent amount of our fans are non alumni.  There are also a good portion of our fans who live out of state so the money coming in could go to other states if not for the athletic program.

I don't care what the jonesboro deal is.... similar to Conway or little rock college any money used to renovate or expand their stadiums is idiotic considering that they take millions from their students and taxes while making much less in donations and ticket sales.

Example:

jonesboro state collected $5,027,521 via student fees in 2016.  They only made $1,666,852 in ticket sales.

conway collected $4,925,356 via student fees.  They only made $431,731 in ticket sales. :puke:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DeltaBoy

No need he is wrong! We need to build to keep up!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Seebs on November 15, 2017, 04:51:12 pm
When I was a bellman Senator Pryor stiffed me when bringing his car around. He said he would get me next time. He never did. Pryor is lower than whale crap in my opinion.

best post in this thread

screw him and his lying son

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: factchecker on November 15, 2017, 07:51:03 pm
Correct.

yep

amen

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 15, 2017, 09:37:10 pm
TAMU essentially built a new stadium for 320 mil more than we paid to add 3,500 seats.  That, alone should have gotten Long fired but there was so much more he did that made the expansion the frosting on the firing cake.

For a scant 320 million more? Why would that be a reason to fire him? It's for more than 3,500 seats. Either you didn't read any of the news about it or you are being willfully ignorant but the information is public you can see how the money is allotted.

ricepig

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 15, 2017, 09:46:11 pm
For a scant 320 million more? Why would that be a reason to fire him? It's for more than 3,500 seats. Either you didn't read any of the news about it or you are being willfully ignorant but the information is public you can see how the money is allotted.

$46m of the cost is attributed to cost of the seating, but people don't wish to read that.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 09:49:10 pm
$46m of the cost is attributed to cost of the seating, but people don't wish to read that.

Correct.

They'd rather complain about the difficulty of getting to their seat = despite the expansion will improve access (360 degree concourse) and add elevators.

They'd rather fuss about concessions = despite the expansion will build new kitchens and make it easier for the food to get to the fans.

People spent years griping about the old and ugly Broyles Athletic Center facade = despite the expansion improving the locker room and BAC.

The only people who have a legit gripe about the expansion are the EOC ticket holders and people who were bumped from their parking spot.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Birminghog

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 15, 2017, 09:43:10 pm
best post in this thread

screw him and his lying son

Have you ever met David Pryor? Have you ever talked with him or been around him? If you dislike a position he took or decision he made, fine. I likely wouldn't agree with all of yours or you with all of mine, but the man was a statesman and a shining representative of my home state. I cannot speak for his son, as I have never met him nor been around him. I suspect we can both give examples of great people whose progeny don't measure up.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on November 15, 2017, 04:29:16 pm

How would a vending machine dispense a white powder?  What sizes or amounts would be available for purchase

gangstaback

Quote from: factchecker on November 15, 2017, 09:40:48 pm
Donation money comes from fans like me who are members of the RF and who wish to support their favorite team and/or alma mater.  There are also corporate donations that are given exchange for suites and advertisements.

The money would go wherever the donor wanted it to go if not the athletic program.  You can't automatically designate that the money would go to the campus or students seeing that a decent amount of our fans are non alumni.  There are also a good portion of our fans who live out of state so the money coming in could go to other states if not for the athletic program.

I don't care what the jonesboro deal is.... similar to Conway or little rock college any money used to renovate or expand their stadiums is idiotic considering that they take millions from their students and taxes while making much less in donations and ticket sales.

Example:

jonesboro state collected $5,027,521 via student fees in 2016.  They only made $1,666,852 in ticket sales.

conway collected $4,925,356 via student fees.  They only made $431,731 in ticket sales. :puke:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

1. So, maybe some money is donated by Arkansans and Arkansas based companies?

2. So, maybe some of this money might possibly go back to the University of Arkansas in some incomprehensible way?

3. I don't care either ... you brought it up. And a quick search says the project is not approved yet. This may explain why "not a peep" was heard?

The University issued a bond of $120 million dollars on top of $687 million of debt. That is significant. And the man asked legitimate questions about assuming this much debt on behalf of the University of Arkansas ... not the Foundation and any of its proud donors.

factchecker

Quote from: gangstaback on November 15, 2017, 10:33:31 pm
The University issued a bond of $120 million dollars on top of $687 million of debt. That is significant. And the man asked legitimate questions about assuming this much debt on behalf of the University of Arkansas ... not the Foundation and any of its proud donors.

Where are you seeing this $687 millon dollar debt?

The athletic department had only a $56.5 million dollar debt prior to the stadium expansion:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DWRRS-Renovation-and-NEZ-Addition-BOT-Presentation.pdf

Page 5 and 6.

Some of that debt is nearing being paid off as well.

ADD:  IF you are talking about the total debt of the campus then you are talking about a different issue.  The athletic department pays off it's debt AND gives money back to the university.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Razorback Athletics give money back to the university:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/academic-and-athletic-leaders-dedicate-champions-hall/

QuoteFAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — University of Arkansas academic and athletic leaders together dedicated Champions Hall, the first new classroom building on campus since 2007, in a ribbon cutting ceremony at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 15.

The 62,000-square-foot structure cost $26.5 million to build and equip. A significant amount of the funding was made possible by the U of A Athletics Department, which committed a portion of the university's annual share of Southeastern Conference revenues to the project. Those funds will be used to pay off approximately $18 million in bonds that were issued to build the Champions Hall.

"Our growing student population here at the University of Arkansas made a new building for classrooms absolutely essential," said interim Chancellor Dan Ferritor. "But every new building on campus presents a funding challenge, and it was the support of the Athletics Department that made this building possible. That's why it's named Champions Hall — to honor our athletic champions and the ways our athletics department gives back to this university."

The four-story building houses nine general purpose classrooms, 12 biology labs, and the Math Resource and Teaching Center. The center includes a testing center, office space for many of the math teaching faculty and a teaching center where students can study and get help with mathematics. Nearly all U of A undergraduates are required to take introductory math and biology classes to meet core curriculum requirements. An estimated 8,000 students will take math classes in Champions Hall this semester, with another 3,000 students using the biology labs. An additional 2,700 students will use the general purpose classrooms.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

razorback44

Right.

Lol. There were so many holes and misinformation in Pryor's complaints that is was laughable that folks actually believed them. This changes nothing at all about that process.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Athog

Right.

LOL! What??

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Birminghog on November 15, 2017, 10:18:27 pm
Have you ever met David Pryor? Have you ever talked with him or been around him? If you dislike a position he took or decision he made, fine. I likely wouldn't agree with all of yours or you with all of mine, but the man was a statesman and a shining representative of my home state. I cannot speak for his son, as I have never met him nor been around him. I suspect we can both give examples of great people whose progeny don't measure up.
They are both good people. I was around Sr a lot during summer of 84 while working in DC. I roomed a semester with Mark in college in the SAE house. Both good people. Career politicians, yes. But still good people.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

younghog

Pryor also has stated: “I think we have higher priorities than a football stadium, I just do not think this is the right time to do it.”

Ole Miss expanded twice
MSU expanded
Ok St expanded
OU expanded
LSU expanded
Mizzou expanded
Texas Tech expanded
Bama expanded
Uga expanded

TCU built essentially a new stadium = FALSE

Just saying as I live here in DFW

~but I feel ya
GO HOGS

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: younghog on November 16, 2017, 10:39:01 am
TCU built essentially a new stadium = FALSE

Just saying as I live here in DFW

~but I feel ya

Renovation/Reconstruction[edit]
In August 2010, TCU announced a $105 million renovation of the west side and north end zone of Amon G. Carter Stadium to better enhance football fans' experience, upgrade amenities, and transform the historic Fort Worth icon into the "Camden Yards" of collegiate football stadiums.
The planned renovation quickly expanded into a rebuild of the entire stadium above ground level, and partially below. Only the below-ground-level playing field and lower seating bowl were retained. Everything else, including much of the subterranean infrastructure, was rebuilt. The West-side stands were imploded on December 5, 2010, and the East-side stands were demolished during the early winter 2011. The stadium reconstruction was funded completely by donor support (no bonds or debt). The project was fully completed in 2012 at a total cost of $164 million.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Seebs on November 15, 2017, 04:51:12 pm

I literally laughed out loud!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?