Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Explanation from Chancellor

Started by RexMentor, November 15, 2017, 11:54:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RexMentor

I am not a Foundation donor, but this was made available by one

Chancellor Steinmetz Announces Leadership Change in Athletics

Julie Cromer Peoples has been appointed to serve as interim vice chancellor and director of athletics.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – University of Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz announced today that Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long will no longer serve in his position effective today and that he has appointed Associate Vice Chancellor for Athletics and Senior Associate Athletics Director Julie Cromer Peoples as interim director of athletics.

The university will honor the provisions of Long's contract, which currently runs through June 30, 2022.

"The decision to change leadership in our Athletics Department is not an easy one, and was made after great deliberation, discussion and thought, after consultation with the Board of Trustees and President Bobbitt," said Steinmetz.  "Since coming to Fayetteville in 2008, Jeff has led our department with character and integrity and helped move us forward in so many ways.  However, over the past year, Jeff has lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters, and members of the university leadership, support that I believe is critical in our pursuit of excellence. I want to thank Jeff for his commitment and service to our University and to the State of Arkansas and, on behalf of the Razorback Family, I want to wish Jeff and his family all of the best in the future."

Peoples brings extensive experience to the interim director of Athletics role.  She came to Arkansas in 2014, after successful tenures at Indiana University and the NCAA. Among other duties, as a member of the department's executive leadership team, Peoples directs the sport administrator group responsible for day-to day administration of 19 varsity sports and serves as liaison to the Southeastern Conference.  She has been recognized for her outstanding work at both the institutional and national levels.  A native of the region, Peoples holds a master's degree from Indiana University and a bachelor's degree from Missouri State University.

The university will identify and announce members of a search committee, representative of the university, to assist Chancellor Steinmetz in the search for a new vice chancellor and director of athletics.

go hogues

"However, over the past year, Jeff has lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters, and members of the university leadership, support that I believe is critical in our pursuit of excellence."

When was the last time we've seen this level of honesty from leadership at the UA? Usually UA firings are shrouded in bs and ass kissing. This line is refreshing.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: go hogues on November 15, 2017, 11:58:44 am
"However, over the past year, Jeff has lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters, and members of the university leadership, support that I believe is critical in our pursuit of excellence."

When was the last time we've seen this level of honesty from leadership at the UA? Usually UA firings are shrouded in bs and ass kissing. This line is refreshing.

It's still BS.  The fact that a search committee hasn't even been formed leads me to believe there was some serious poop going on behind closed doors.  Poop we will never know about.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 12:00:54 pm
It's still BS.  The fact that a search committee hasn't even been formed leads me to believe there was some serious poop going on behind closed doors.  Poop we will never know about.

My hypothesis would be that they told Jeff to fire Bret.  Jeff declined. They fired Jeff.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Mellon Collie on November 15, 2017, 12:03:22 pm
My hypothesis would be that they told Jeff to fire Bret.  Jeff declined. They fired Jeff.

Could be, but JL doesn't strike me as one to fall on his sword.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

And if so, JL out-played everyone in the room.  He comes out looking like a saint and UA left scrambling to hire an AD and a football coach--all while trying to finish a $200M building project.

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 12:08:40 pm

Remember, Bret wrote Jeff a heartfelt letter. They bonded over their mutual appreciation of handwritten correspondence.  Those ties run deep.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: go hogues on November 15, 2017, 11:58:44 am

True. This is likely referring to about 6 big donors though, not much of the fanbase.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HogFanOSU

To me this all sounds like Jeff didn't play well with the "Good Ole Boy Network" and wouldn't let them control him.  All the talking heads say the university wants to put "Arkansas back into athletics" with someone with Arkansas ties, meaning the good ole boys will be back in charge.  Heaven help us all!

hawgball40

Well thats a good nugget of info, however, about a week ago you were defending long and saying he wouldn't be fired and acting as if it was absurd for someone to think he deserved to be canned over his grievous mistakes as AD. Curious what, besides the wind, changed your tune?

Tortfeasor

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 12:10:31 pm
And if so, JL out-played everyone in the room.  He comes out looking like a saint and UA left scrambling to hire an AD and a football coach--all while trying to finish a $200M building project.

This is our problem now. Not a good time to be looking for a coach, much less and AD as well. Appoint Van Horn as AD and call it a day.

hawgball40

Quote from: HogFanOSU on November 15, 2017, 12:22:04 pm
To me this all sounds like Jeff didn't play well with the "Good Ole Boy Network" and wouldn't let them control him.  All the talking heads say the university wants to put "Arkansas back into athletics" with someone with Arkansas ties, meaning the good ole boys will be back in charge.  Heaven help us all!
just stop with your false narrative. The GOBN is long gone from the athletic department. Jeff was fired with cause over multiple missteps that have been hashed and rehashed on this board ad nauseum. RMPL

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 12:08:40 pm
No Seppuku for Jeff-san?   :)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 15, 2017, 12:17:09 pm
True. This is likely referring to about 6 big donors though, not much of the fanbase.

You and I can agree on this, the key words, "key supporters" ....

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 12:22:44 pm
Well thats a good nugget of info, however, about a week ago you were defending long and saying he wouldn't be fired and acting as if it was absurd for someone to think he deserved to be canned over his grievous mistakes as AD. Curious what, besides the wind, changed your tune?

I for one think this is an incredibly short-sided with terrible timing decision that puts us at a severe dis-advantage while trying to find a new coach, you now have to also find a new athletic director and I am of the opinion that no coach in high demand is going to step into a situation where he doesn't know hat kind of AD he is going to be working for.   

Granny fan

Quote from: RexMentor on November 15, 2017, 11:54:20 am
I am not a Foundation donor, but this was made available by one

Chancellor Steinmetz Announces Leadership Change in Athletics

Julie Cromer Peoples has been appointed to serve as interim vice chancellor and director of athletics.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – University of Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz announced today that Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long will no longer serve in his position effective today and that he has appointed Associate Vice Chancellor for Athletics and Senior Associate Athletics Director Julie Cromer Peoples as interim director of athletics.

The university will honor the provisions of Long's contract, which currently runs through June 30, 2022.

"The decision to change leadership in our Athletics Department is not an easy one, and was made after great deliberation, discussion and thought, after consultation with the Board of Trustees and President Bobbitt," said Steinmetz.  "Since coming to Fayetteville in 2008, Jeff has led our department with character and integrity and helped move us forward in so many ways.  However, over the past year, Jeff has lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters, and members of the university leadership, support that I believe is critical in our pursuit of excellence. I want to thank Jeff for his commitment and service to our University and to the State of Arkansas and, on behalf of the Razorback Family, I want to wish Jeff and his family all of the best in the future."

Peoples brings extensive experience to the interim director of Athletics role.  She came to Arkansas in 2014, after successful tenures at Indiana University and the NCAA. Among other duties, as a member of the department's executive leadership team, Peoples directs the sport administrator group responsible for day-to day administration of 19 varsity sports and serves as liaison to the Southeastern Conference.  She has been recognized for her outstanding work at both the institutional and national levels.  A native of the region, Peoples holds a master's degree from Indiana University and a bachelor's degree from Missouri State University.

The university will identify and announce members of a search committee, representative of the university, to assist Chancellor Steinmetz in the search for a new vice chancellor and director of athletics.

This is refreshing!  I was expecting "Golden Handcuffs!"

cjack

But I thought the BOT was powerless?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

PorkRinds

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 15, 2017, 12:29:44 pm
I for one think this is an incredibly short-sided with terrible timing decision that puts us at a severe dis-advantage while trying to find a new coach, you now have to also find a new athletic director and I am of the opinion that no coach in high demand is going to step into a situation where he doesn't know hat kind of AD he is going to be working for.
I agree.

Ex-Trumpet

This.

Or, there's a lot of crap we are not privy to that might further damage UA if he stayed.  We will probably never know.

okrazorback

I believe the only thing a new coach is looking for is How much money will I get.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Tortfeasor on November 15, 2017, 12:22:52 pm
This is our problem now. Not a good time to be looking for a coach, much less and AD as well. Appoint Van Horn as AD and call it a day.
And so with this additional work load you propose that either Van Horn give up his coaching of the baseball team or he try to juggle both responsibilities at once? Either way it's a totally moronic "quick fix" that will likely result in the botching of both.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 15, 2017, 12:24:26 pm
just stop with your false narrative. The GOBN is long gone from the athletic department. Jeff was fired with cause over multiple missteps that have been hashed and rehashed on this board ad nauseum. RMPL
Jeff Long was fired because the football program is a pitiful disgrace right now.and the decisions he made is the reason.he was fired because of FOOTBALL!

BRHogfan

So, as someone that pays money to the Foundation, I don't really get a say in any of this.  I can pull my funding and lose my tickets for next year.

I was planning on not renewing if Bielema remained coach, but now even if(when) they replace him, I'm a little concerned because I think firing Long was very short-sighted. 

dfwalumdad

well we've tried it the other way for 9 years now, we fired bobby, and won 11 sec games over the last 5 years.

having the "adults" in charge really worked out well now didn't it?

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Mellon Collie on November 15, 2017, 12:03:22 pm
this ^^^
Long has been successful in many other avenues of the job. We just didn't win football games.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DeltaHog66

I want coach van horn to still be coaching baseball here, when he's using a walker to make mound visits.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: BRHogfan on November 15, 2017, 12:45:31 pm
So, as someone that pays money to the Foundation, I don't really get a say in any of this.  I can pull my funding and lose my tickets for next year.

I was planning on not renewing if Bielema remained coach, but now even if(when) they replace him, I'm a little concerned because I think firing Long was very short-sighted. 
I agree
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Mellon Collie on November 15, 2017, 12:10:42 pm
Remember, Bret wrote Jeff a heartfelt letter. They bonded over their mutual appreciation of handwritten correspondence.  Those ties run deep.

More likely he wanted out, and this gets him the golden parachute.

But I doubt it went down like this.

ColinRagan

Could be Jeff was told if he wanted to stay he wouldn't be involved in hiring new coach, he balked at that so was let go

Razorbackers

Agree.

The OTR

No more smokescreens. No more crushing boosters hands during handshakes with his iron grip in an effort to prove he is in charge.  No more talking about the track team or golf team on the football pregame show.  No more meeting CBB down at Ben's apartment to drink expensive vodka and BS about the dumb hillbillies in Arkansas and how we don't appreciate the great leaders of men we have running things at U of A.  And the dossiers he was keeping on Deltaboy and Hoginmemphis was burning up in his fireplace last night. 

I'm going to miss having Jeff Kong to kick around.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Gonna be a hoot-n-nanny...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

1highhog

It will all work out well in the end as long as they don't hire someone as asinine as Nutt, which is highly unlikely despite many on here clamoring for him, and I believe the AD will be hired in the next 2 weeks before BB is fired, so that when our new coach is hired, he will know who his AD will be.  And for the 1,000th time people, Gus is not going to be our next coach, please give it a rest.

snoblind

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 12:36:53 pm
I agree.
Sometimes it is best to just sit back and let things unfold rather than jumping in to agree with folks who don't know what they are talking about.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Granny fan on November 15, 2017, 12:33:40 pm

This is refreshing!  I was expecting "Golden Handcuffs!"

I'd say that owing him a little over 1 million a year for the next 5 years is pretty golden!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

RexMentor

All I can say is that in this novel, Ahab got the whale.

The Kid

Quote from: RexMentor on November 15, 2017, 11:54:20 am

This doesn't necessarily mean JL gets ALL the money possible in his contract. PROVISIONS within the contract will likely make a BIG difference in the monetary payout.
Let's get the train back on the tracks.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Tortfeasor on November 15, 2017, 12:22:52 pm

Unless the PTB have been working behind the scenes putting things in motion for some time.  Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean things aren't happening.

go hogues

The only hope there is that there is a plan in place, ready to be announced after the Mizzou game.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

go hogues

Quote from: TulsaHawg on November 15, 2017, 01:26:01 pm
Unless the PTB have been working behind the scenes putting things in motion for some time.  Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean things aren't happening.
Ha! beat me by 58 seconds.

Pig in the Pokey

some folks will always scream "wo is me, poor lil arkinsaw"
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

DeltaBoy

Long was WRONG for the money we're spending we want to WIN DAMIT!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BearsBisonsBoars

I started to agree that it's short sighted, but it occurs to me that it might be worse to have Long make the hire, and then piss off the new coach by canning the AD who hired him.

It's bad either way. Best hope is they have someone lined up and move quickly.

HogScoutMaster

2022 geez this is going to be expensive
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

netteltonhog

This wasn't a from the hip decision. This drama has been unfolding for a couple of years and the U of A isn't left holding an empty bag.  There have been plenty of discreet conversations with both AD and coaching candidates.  Time to be patient for a couple weeks until formal announcements are made.

WoePigSooie

Quote from: 1highhog on November 15, 2017, 12:54:43 pm
It will all work out well in the end as long as they don't hire someone as asinine as Nutt, which is highly unlikely despite many on here clamoring for him, and I believe the AD will be hired in the next 2 weeks before BB is fired, so that when our new coach is hired, he will know who his AD will be.  And for the 1,000th time people, Gus is not going to be our next coach, please give it a rest.

I hope you are right and I am less full of woe

Boarcephus

Mitch Roberts came on with a special report, interrupted The Chew which pissed the wife off, but he basically said (I'll paraphrase here) Long never had the support of the LR $$.  He's not exactly a "people person".  They didn't like him jerking games from WMS.  They were there to build the program but felt like Long didn't need them.  They didn't have to write as large a check as they'd been writing.  The north end zone project was all Longs.  He went to the PTB, them about all the revenue it'd generate but as the losses pile up, fans become disenchanted and were backing out of paying what he was asking for the privilege of sitting there.  Attendance keeps going down as did donations, etc. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 12:00:54 pm

Get to know Mike Norvell.

DeltaBoy

A friend told me that this had been brewing for the past 3-4 years and that Longs personality had rubbed money folks and die hard fans the wrong way.  Add his stupid statement about Football and the Mess Bret made no wonder they canned him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

goneal

Just my 2 cents. Long was a miss from the beginning. He was a "great interview", but not much else. Being in the SEC, we don't have to have a super smooth aggressive money collector. From SEC proceeds, large donor funds and the year to year donors, we'll be fine. We always have been. He evidently rubbed a lot of influential people the wrong way, not to mention the every day Razorback fan. He thought he could bluff his way out of fans expectations concerning football by touting success in lower tier sports and he badly mis-judged the siituation. I'm glad he's gone and certainly glad he's gone before Bert. I sure didn't want this clown making another important hire. Don't sweat this or the eventual new coaches search. There are plenty of good qualified candidates out there for both positions. We'll be fine.
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.