Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long wouldn't fire Bret, so they fired him

Started by bigpigpimpin, November 15, 2017, 09:57:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jmark

Quote from: HogFoo on November 15, 2017, 10:31:15 am
i'll tell you what happened.. doesnt matter now.. Long lost the job when he was told by jerry jones that he'd pay the buyout and he wanted to help find a new coach.  And Long basically said to jerry  "who said i am getting rid of Bielema?? and who says i need your help?"  Thats when the movement to get rid of Long went into overdrive.  Long should have been watching his back at that point.  Because any and every excuse whether it comes out or not was gonna be used to get rid of him.  And, looks like they settled on one that stuck.  bye bye Long.. 

i may have to become a dallas cowboy fan
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

LZH

I am not so sure about that. When Bielma got here, he either failed to tell Jeff that he had been in rehab with a drinking problem or, he did tell him and promised him he was through with the bottle and all would be well. I think Jeff has been royally pissed at Bielma for quite some time but didn't want to fire him because he wants everyone to believe in this stability idea.

Jeff put his little boy parts on the line for Bobby during that week he gave Bobby a chance to return, knowing full well of what all had happened. And now he has done the same for Bielma and it is blowing up in his face. Long may have been ready to go on his own for sometime now, who knows. Guess we will find out in an hour or so.

rljjr

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 15, 2017, 10:32:05 am
the Pirate said he'd come.  He will 100% be out of Wazzou this year. Would be a great fit for us. Certainly better fit than Gus with all his built in divisiveness.

Do you have one small, tiny morsel to support this claim? I think it's complete Hogwash. We need somebody younger and hungrier, and Leach hasn't won anything anywhere he's ever been. His team's have not been known for playing defense. There are better options out there. But that's my opinion.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

elksnort

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 15, 2017, 10:01:22 am
No, there's not more than that.  Stop believing stupid message board BS planted by prj and his roving band of shills for the GOBN.
Do you work for Long? I guess you can't answer, but I am just curious.

HogFoo

Quote from: LZH on November 15, 2017, 10:37:30 am
I am not so sure about that. When Bielma got here, he either failed to tell Jeff that he had been in rehab with a drinking problem or, he did tell him and promised him he was through with the bottle and all would be well. I think Jeff has been royally pissed at Bielma for quite some time but didn't want to fire him because he wants everyone to believe in this stability idea.

Jeff put his little boy parts on the line for Bobby during that week he gave Bobby a chance to return, knowing full well of what all had happened. And now he has done the same for Bielma and it is blowing up in his face. Long may have been ready to go on his own for sometime now, who knows. Guess we will find out in an hour or so.
Actaully, that was an idea i had heard was being tossed around to get rid of Bielema without paying the buyout.  was using a similar type clause related to his drinking.  i was even told that he has bad health.  you can look at him and see how red his face is, that he is an alcoholic.  that's obvious.  Of course, Anderson is his big drinking buddy.  probably explains why he hasnt been fired yet too.  haha.. but, oh well.. on to brighter things now, like, perhaps hopefully, a winning team!  And something to look forward too, like going to a bowl!   Or perhaps someone who will not play favorites with players, and someone who maybe will hire great recruiters, or when some leave, maybe replace them with an equal or better recruiter!  ya know, just things a winner does.  Keeps winners around him.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hogeration

Quote from: grayhawg on November 15, 2017, 09:59:32 am
A lot more than that, it will all come out eventually.
Are you sure?  Reporting a $4.5m buyout for Long.  If you got something on someone, you don't give them that much money to go away.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: cram224 on November 15, 2017, 10:06:42 am
I have one question. Who's going to walk the big donor through the A before game?

I'm coming up for the game...let me know if I need to bring a tie.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

elksnort

Quote from: Malvin on November 15, 2017, 10:05:40 am
He lost the job when he said that winning wasn't a priority.  I know it's a play on words, but football is a win at all costs sport and when you state that you aren't interested in winning at all costs then it basically means that you aren't willing to do what it takes to win.. which Razorback football has been a shining example of over the last 5 years.

Do we want to get in trouble by the NCAA?  Absolutely not, but it doesn't mean that we can't bend a little bit here and there.  Do you think LSU, Alabama, Auburn don't bend the rules a little from time to time?  Do you thinking the Patriots have been squeaky clean while they won all their Super Bowls?  Do you thinking Jimmy Johnson was always sparkling clean?  NO.  You have to be willing to brave and take some chances to win, Long didn't want to do this and the results on the field speak for themselves.
Very good post.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogeration on November 15, 2017, 10:46:46 am
Are you sure?  Reporting a $4.5m buyout for Long.  If you got something on someone, you don't give them that much money to go away.

Depends.  If it's bad PR for UA then $4.5m may be the cheap way out.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 15, 2017, 10:48:39 am
Depends.  If it's bad PR for UA then $4.5m may be the cheap way out.
If there is something that bad it will come out.

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on November 15, 2017, 10:10:03 am
So, something 99% of the posters here seemed to want to happen, Long being fired, appears to have happened, so now said posters are going to argue about the reason Long was fired............................
Yes, and you are following along to sensor it.

jkstock04

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 15, 2017, 10:09:19 am
Man, stop lying.

Leach was never going to be our coach.

this is Jeff Long refusing to cut Bielema loose before his 6 years (promised) was up.  The GOBN is using this to make a power play Hog fans are falling right in it.
You have been dead wrong about everything from the get go. I love to see you on here still spouting your hate...just twisting in the wind with "I've been wrong about everything" tattooed to your face.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LRrazorback

Quote from: HogFoo on November 15, 2017, 10:31:15 am
i'll tell you what happened.. doesnt matter now.. Long lost the job when he was told by jerry jones that he'd pay the buyout and he wanted to help find a new coach.  And Long basically said to jerry  "who said i am getting rid of Bielema?? and who says i need your help?"  Thats when the movement to get rid of Long went into overdrive.  Long should have been watching his back at that point.  Because any and every excuse whether it comes out or not was gonna be used to get rid of him.  And, looks like they settled on one that stuck.  bye bye Long.. 

This^^^

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hogeration on November 15, 2017, 10:46:46 am
DING DING DING DING!
All Gas, No Brakes!

Mr Jade

Where is this magical 4.5 coming from? Long's contract was not extended.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

snoblind

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 15, 2017, 10:09:19 am
Man, stop lying.

Leach was never going to be our coach.

this is Jeff Long refusing to cut Bielema loose before his 6 years (promised) was up.  The GOBN is using this to make a power play Hog fans are falling right in it.

Leach is PIP's deal, but you're wrong - there were/are other issues.  Watching you folks who kept saying nothing will happen twist in the wind is amusing.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 15, 2017, 10:53:53 am
You have been dead wrong about everything from the get go. I love to see you on here still spouting your hate...just twisting in the wind with "I've been wrong about everything" tattooed to your face.
Dude, all I've ever asked people for was intellectual honesty.  I think most of you wouldn't know good football if it bit you in the ass, though.  So you can't be honest.  You all claim "just win" but what you mean is "just throw the ball enough and score a lot of points while we lose 76-74". 

Everything I've ever said about Jeff Long has been true.  He FOUGHT to keep Petrino.  Went to the mat for him.  Petrino's refusal to STOP LYING is what got him fired.

He promised Bret 6 years because of the absolute steaming pile he was walking into.  The buyout everyone gets so verclempt about was his way of proving it.

Jeff Long has improved Razorback sports.  He's hired the biggest "name" coaches Arkansas has ever hired.  He's raised more money and built more facilities and ushered in an era of prosperity we've never imagined before.  He's considered a top AD nationally for a reason.

The failures of the two coaches he hired, one morally the other on the field, are not his fault and he is now paying for them because the GOBN wants there power and access back.

Glad you guys got what you wanted.  The people who destroyed the program to begin with are back in charge.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 15, 2017, 10:30:33 am
Yep. Even his new "super secret (lol) home run hire" couldnt save him. Maybe Leach was asked and said, "I'll come with or without Jeffie" LMAO!!! Im still on cloud 9 regardless. I havent even suffered these last 6 weeks. I've been just basking in the glory of knowing Fatty is gone and a beast coach is incoming. Now that Long got wrecked, too, and it's all back in the air, Hell, Im STILL super stoked b/c NO MATTER WHAT we will get-

Leach or Gus or Norvell or Venables . List wont be longer than that. BE HAPPY BAWZ.
2 of those I like-Venables and norvell, 1 I can tolerate-Malzahn.  If they hire leach they just lost my donation.  No friggin way!!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Mr Jade on November 15, 2017, 11:03:04 am
Where is this magical 4.5 coming from? Long's contract was not extended.
Contract is not up until 2022.
All Gas, No Brakes!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 15, 2017, 11:09:14 am
Dude, all I've ever asked people for was intellectual honesty.  I think most of you wouldn't know good football if it bit you in the ass, though.  So you can't be honest.  You all claim "just win" but what you mean is "just throw the ball enough and score a lot of points while we lose 76-74". 

Everything I've ever said about Jeff Long has been true.  He FOUGHT to keep Petrino.  Went to the mat for him.  Petrino's refusal to STOP LYING is what got him fired.

He promised Bret 6 years because of the absolute steaming pile he was walking into.  The buyout everyone gets so verclempt about was his way of proving it.

Jeff Long has improved Razorback sports.  He's hired the biggest "name" coaches Arkansas has ever hired.  He's raised more money and built more facilities and ushered in an era of prosperity we've never imagined before.  He's considered a top AD nationally for a reason.

The failures of the two coaches he hired, one morally the other on the field, are not his fault and he is now paying for them because the GOBN wants there power and access back.

Glad you guys got what you wanted.  The people who destroyed the program to begin with are back in charge.

It great day to be a Hog fan , That nasty Yankee is gone.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 15, 2017, 10:49:50 am
If there is something that bad it will come out.

Maybe, but it probably won't be confirmed...just rumors.  And they go away.  Kinda like SMU and they turned out alright!  ;)

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 15, 2017, 09:57:50 am
its that simple.

Is it deeper than that? 

What if the firing of Bielema was a forgone conclusion but Long wouldn't agree to hire (or try to hire) the guy the BOT wanted? 

forrest city joe

its that simple.
Does not matter to me. i wanted them both gone.so it all worked out.fresh start for everyone.

Danimal

Quote from: hoglady on November 15, 2017, 10:06:50 am
Wonder what kind of power plays will be going on up on the hill for the next couple of weeks.
More like the next several years if Malzahn's brought in as coach..

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Danimal on November 15, 2017, 11:26:04 am
More like the next several years if Malzahn's brought in as coach..

Good.  Iron sharpens iron.

Danimal

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on November 15, 2017, 11:18:46 am
Is it deeper than that? 

What if the firing of Bielema was a forgone conclusion but Long wouldn't agree to hire (or try to hire) the guy the BOT wanted?
Good point, and one of the things that concerns me (Gus)..

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on November 15, 2017, 10:10:03 am
So, something 99% of the posters here seemed to want to happen, Long being fired, appears to have happened, so now said posters are going to argue about the reason Long was fired............................
Not me. Long is fired as he should be.and coach B needs to be the next one fired.WINNING IN FOOTBALL MATTERS!

elksnort

You are likely correct on your post, EXCEPT for "he improved Razorback sports".

CMA was a no brainer. DVH was here already, right? The other sports are holding serve and maybe some better.

BUT

Football is king and the king is has been fat, drunk, dumb and limping badly.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: HogFoo on November 15, 2017, 10:44:46 am
Actaully, that was an idea i had heard was being tossed around to get rid of Bielema without paying the buyout.  was using a similar type clause related to his drinking.  i was even told that he has bad health.  you can look at him and see how red his face is, that he is an alcoholic.  that's obvious.  Of course, Anderson is his big drinking buddy.  probably explains why he hasnt been fired yet too.  haha.. but, oh well.. on to brighter things now, like, perhaps hopefully, a winning team!  And something to look forward too, like going to a bowl!   Or perhaps someone who will not play favorites with players, and someone who maybe will hire great recruiters, or when some leave, maybe replace them with an equal or better recruiter!  ya know, just things a winner does.  Keeps winners around him.   
They wouldn't want to use the alcoholism because it's a very gray area in regards to it being a protected health condition.  it would have to be blatant use on company time, that interfered with his ability to perform his work functions or poorly represented the UofA (not a lawyer, but understand how it works)

forrest city joe

Quote from: elksnort on November 15, 2017, 11:32:44 am
You are likely correct on your post, EXCEPT for "he improved Razorback sports".

CMA was a no brainer. DVH was here already, right? The other sports are holding serve and maybe some better.

BUT

Football is king and the king is has been fat, drunk, dumb and limping badly.
The bottom line to all of this. the last the reminace of John White is gone.and that's a good thing.

Tony Perkis

Where did the Bielema was in rehab stuff come from? And when? I think I missed that one.

LZH

Quote from: HogFoo on November 15, 2017, 10:44:46 am

Well I wasn't suggesting that BB be fired for alcoholism, more along the lines that Jeff has stuck up for him and BB has continued to run further off into the ditch. His record alone is enough to get him fired.

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 15, 2017, 11:40:58 am
Where did the Bielema was in rehab stuff come from? And when? I think I missed that one.
Hogville made it up...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pigdiana Jones

Whatever
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

razorbackfaninar

I have to say I think this is a good assessment and I think the fan base may be cheering right now, but I am afraid we are well and truly screwed. 

elksnort

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 15, 2017, 11:37:57 am
are you talking about the program or the coach?
The football program. It does not make me fell good about calling him names. Hell, I am 20lbs over weight and I like to drink.

PorkRinds

He's right, you know.  Be careful what you Wish for.

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 15, 2017, 10:32:05 am
the Pirate said he'd come.  He will 100% be out of Wazzou this year. Would be a great fit for us. Certainly better fit than Gus with all his built in divisiveness.
You have to be elated that Long was fired and bails you out of your "Leach was already hired" nonsense.

Paul

Quote from: snoblind on November 15, 2017, 10:08:38 am
Nope, not the reason.
throw us a bone.  does it have to do with perceived private use of UA jets?

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Total BS, I don't even have to pick a section of this post.  You don't know what you are talking about
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Mike Irwin

its that simple.
No it is not that simple. There were a bunch of reasons. At no point did he tell anyone that he would not consider firing Bret Bielema. It never got to that point. They didn't want him hiring Bielema's replacement. In the coming weeks you will see big changes in the athletic deapartment and I'm not just talking about a new AD and a new head football coach.

isavedjazz

More than just that. Until the past two years Long had done a pretty great job. The way he has handled this football season couldnt have helped. He has been hiding from the media for months... He was in over his head this year
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

Jimbob111

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 15, 2017, 10:01:51 am
No. It isn't. He's done something we don't know about yet to get fired.

You mean something besides circumventing the hiring process as a favor to Petrino then firing Petrino for the hire?  I NEVER understood how he got out of that one unscathed.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

EastexHawg

Quote from: snoblind on November 15, 2017, 11:06:46 am
Watching you folks who kept saying nothing will happen twist in the wind is amusing.

Yep.  I'm not interested in retribution, but it wasn't just a matter of people saying nothing would happen.  It was more like anyone who suggested it would was an idiot and they were the geniuses, indignantly pointing out the stupidity of those who even mentioned such things.

woodhog14

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 15, 2017, 01:20:23 pm
No it is not that simple. There were a bunch of reasons. At no point did he tell anyone that he would not consider firing Bret Bielema. It never got to that point. They didn't want him hiring Bielema's replacement. In the coming weeks you will see big changes in the athletic deapartment and I'm not just talking about a new AD and a new head football coach.

This is exactly what happened when he left Pittsburgh. They went back to many things they did previously. Jeff changed thier "brand" and logo...now they have changed back to their old logo because fans were ticked that Jeff Long changed it.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 15, 2017, 01:20:23 pm
Are you saying Worf Hog is going away?  Tickets without donations?  Do tell. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

LZH