Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking back @ 2013 it was obvious

Started by Dumb ole famrboy, November 11, 2017, 04:40:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumb ole famrboy

It was obvious - 3-9 and 0-8 in the SEC.  Until this year I ranked it as the 4th worst job of coaching in my lifetime of Razorback Football. (Behind - JLS, Jack Crowe and Houston Nutt 2003).

OFFENSE
QB:
1) Brandon Allen (6-3, 218, So.)
2) A.J. Derby (6-5, 245, Jr.)
RB:
1) Jonathan Williams (6-0, 222, So.)
2) Alex Collins (5-11, 206, Fr.)
FB:
1) Kiero Small (5-10, 242, Sr.)
2) Patrick Arinze (5-11, 245, Jr.)
WR:
1) Julian Horton (6-1, 205, Sr.)
2) Keon Hatcher (6-2, 210, So.)
WR:
1) Javontee Herndon (6-1, 197, Sr.)
2) Eric Hawkins (6-0, 185, RFr.)
TE:
1) Mitchell Loewen (6-4, 272, So.)
2) Hunter Henry (6-6, 250, Fr.)
OR
Jeremy Sprinkle (6-6, 250, RFr.)
LT:
1) David Hurd (6-6, 318, Sr.)
2) Dan Skipper (6-10, 317, Fr.)
LG:
1) Mitch Smothers (6-4, 315, So.)
2) Austin Beck (6-7, 305, So.)
C:
1) Travis Swanson (6-5, 315, Sr.)
2) Luke Charpentier (6-4, 316, Jr.)
RG:
1) Brey Cook (6-7, 330, Jr.)
2) Cordale Boyd (6-3, 310, RFr.)
RT:
1) Grady Ollison (6-5, 307, So.)
2) Denver Kirkland (6-5, 345, Fr.)

DEFENSE
DE:
1) Chris Smith (6-3, 270, Sr.)
2) Brandon Lewis (6-5, 260, RFr.)
OR
JaMichael Winston (6-5, 262, RFr.)
DT:
1) Robert Thomas (6-3, 325, Sr.)
2) Demarcus Hodge (6-1, 345, So.)
DT:
1) Byran Jones (6-2, 318, Sr.)
2) Darius Philon (6-3, 300, RFr.)
DE:
1) Trey Flowers (6-4, 265, Jr.)
2) Deatrich Wise Jr. (6-6, 275, RFr.)
SLB:
1) Braylon Mitchell (6-3, 230, Jr.)
2) Martrell Spaight (6-0, 226, Jr.)
MLB:
1) Austin Jones (6-2, 237, Sr.)
2) Brooks Ellis (6-2, 230, Fr.)
WLB:
1) Jarrett Lake (6-3, 235, Sr.)
2) Daunte Carr (6-3, 235, Sr.)
CB:
1) Tevin Mitchel (6-0, 180, Jr.)
2) Carroll Washington (6-0, 180, Jr.)
OR
D.J. Dean (5-10, 190, Fr.)
SS:
1) Rohan Gaines (5-11, 195, So.)
2) Tiquention Coleman (5-10, 195, Jr.)
FS:
1) Eric Bennett (6-0, 200, Sr.)
2) Alan Turner (6-0, 200, Jr.)
CB:
1) Will Hines (6-1, 190, So.)
2) Jared Collins (6-0, 175, RFr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
K:
1) Zach Hocker
2) Sam Irwin-Hill
OR
John Henson
P:
1)Zach Hocker
2) Sam Irwin-Hill

That's all.

BentonvilleJeff

I've been thinking about that season lately too. Looking back at the talent of that team how in the world did they go winless in the SEC? Agreed that is one of the worst coaching seasons in our history.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Yep hindsight is a great teacher as is a larger data pool and context. 3-9 was excused due to the "mess" he inherited. Now it looks like he's been underachieving since the get go
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Copenhagen Kid

Dang 5 of the Dline are playing in the nfl

Wants2Win

terrible hire from day 1. Fire Cbb and Jeff long.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The Copenhagen Kid on November 11, 2017, 05:00:47 pm

Some were Fr in 2013.  Not the players they became. 

BA hurt for some of the season. No backup.

Most of our opponents were much better.  SEC very deep that season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

OP makes a good point in just looking at the roster. I'd trade ours now for that one.

Lady Razorback

This is why I hate it when I hear that Bielema inherited a dumpster fire, that it took time to fix the situation he inherited 

Hawg414

all that terrible Petrino crootin' we always hear about

JonesboroHogFan

Yes it is very obvious.  That team was loaded with NFL players yet the coaching was below average.  Hopefully, the BOT will not let Long make the next hire and whoever is calling the shots will make the right hire.  Such as Gus.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 11, 2017, 05:09:38 pm
This is why I hate it when I hear that Bielema inherited a dumpster fire, that it took time to fix the situation he inherited
Exactly, there are morons on here who said that Petrino left Bielema nothing. They claim it was a total rebuild.  As you can see from that 2013 roster, the idea that Petrino left the UA a dumpster fire couldn't be further from the truth. But you'll still have the morons, and they know who they are, who'll come in here and say that Petrino wasn't recruiting worth a damm. Horse manure.

ad: for proof positive of what I posted above, look one post above me and there you'll find of whom I speak
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Atlhogfan1

Opposing coaches size up the Razorbacks: 

"They are going to be terrible. What they are doing now, it's the product of bad recruiting. They have a long way to go. That's nothing against the new coach (Bret Bielema). But they are going to be terrible in Year 1." ...

"They are really going to struggle. What happened was they had eight starters who got injured, and they were fighting an uphill battle all of last year. I think they'll struggle up front, they'll struggle in the secondary, the linebackers should be average." ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2013%3famp
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:07:14 pm
Some were Fr in 2013.  Not the players they became. 

BA hurt for some of the season. No backup.

Most of our opponents were much better.  SEC very deep that season.

People are talking about not winning a angle conference game though. No way that should have been the expectation.

If you remember, they didn't just lose, they weren't even competitive for the most part.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:14:30 pm

"They are going to be terrible. What they are doing now, it's the product of bad recruiting. They have a long way to go. That's nothing against the new coach (Bret Bielema). But they are going to be terrible in Year 1." ...

"They are really going to struggle. What happened was they had eight starters who got injured, and they were fighting an uphill battle all of last year. I think they'll struggle up front, they'll struggle in the secondary, the linebackers should be average." ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2013%3famp

Lol

I like how you parsed your quote and left out that the coach said there was no NFL talent on the roster. There is NFL talent all over that roster.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 11, 2017, 05:16:32 pm
People are talking about not winning a angle conference game though. No way that should have been the expectation.

If you remember, they didn't just lose, they weren't even competitive for the most part.

We were competitive those last 3 games.  Could have won a couple.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 11, 2017, 05:19:31 pm
Lol

I like how you parsed your quote and left out that the coach said there was no NFL talent on the roster. There is NFL talent all over that roster.

On phone. All I could get to copy.

NFL 2014 Draft?  No.  Why your statement is misguided (ignorant really)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BentonvilleJeff on November 11, 2017, 04:48:40 pm
I've been thinking about that season lately too. Looking back at the talent of that team how in the world did they go winless in the SEC? Agreed that is one of the worst coaching seasons in our history.
Even John L went 2-6.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bville_hog

but everyone here said what a pile Petrino left us with, that no one could win with those players, right?

Gonzo

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:14:30 pm

“They are going to be terrible. What they are doing now, it’s the product of bad recruiting. They have a long way to go. That’s nothing against the new coach (Bret Bielema). But they are going to be terrible in Year 1." ...

"They are really going to struggle. What happened was they had eight starters who got injured, and they were fighting an uphill battle all of last year. I think they’ll struggle up front, they’ll struggle in the secondary, the linebackers should be average." …

Keep beating that drum.

That team was definitely missing the needed talent in one essential position. The main reason they were winless in conference.

Go Hogs!

rtr

The OP is right on, no way that team should have been winless in SEC play.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Gonzo on November 11, 2017, 05:27:55 pm
Keep beating that drum.

That team was definitely missing the needed talent in one essential position. The main reason they were winless in conference.

Go Hogs!

Maybe should have won the LSU and/or MSU games.  Missing talent and certainly depth at almost every position. 

Bebop

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 11, 2017, 04:54:22 pm
Yep hindsight is a great teacher as is a larger data pool and context. 3-9 was excused due to the "mess" he inherited. Now it looks like he's been underachieving since the get go

We all bought the narrative that it was a rebuild when clearly there was more talent than what was let on. Thankfully, the light shone through in year 3 for me. I felt like it was enough time to gauge where we were going as a program and we underachieved that year.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:21:17 pm

I remember the article. The coach was claiming that the current roster had basically no players who would sniff the NFL.

Time has shown him to be a fool. Trying to change the meaning of his statement to apply to 2014 is more dishonest than only using part of the quote to begin with not to mention you constantly link this article and now try to claim you are ignorant of its content because you used your phone this time.

rtr

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 11, 2017, 05:31:56 pm
I remember the article. The coach was claiming that the current roster had basically no players who would sniff the NFL.

Time has shown him to be a fool. Trying to change the meaning of his statement to apply to 2014 is more dishonest than only using part of the quote to begin with not to mention you constantly link this article and now try to claim you are ignorant of its content because you used your phone this time.
Always take what opposing coaches say with a huge helping of salt.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 11, 2017, 05:31:56 pm

Not trying to change any statement. This is about the 2013 season only.  Because a few players developed after this season into NFL players doesn't mean they were close in 2013.  You and others trying to revise history. 

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on November 11, 2017, 04:40:13 pm

OFFENSE
QB:
1) Brandon Allen (6-3, 218, So.) NFL
2) A.J. Derby (6-5, 245, Jr.) NFL TE
RB:
1) Jonathan Williams (6-0, 222, So.) NFL
2) Alex Collins (5-11, 206, Fr.) NFL
FB:
1) Kiero Small (5-10, 242, Sr.)
2) Patrick Arinze (5-11, 245, Jr.)
WR:
1) Julian Horton (6-1, 205, Sr.)
2) Keon Hatcher (6-2, 210, So.) NFL
WR:
1) Javontee Herndon (6-1, 197, Sr.) NFL
2) Eric Hawkins (6-0, 185, RFr.)
TE:
1) Mitchell Loewen (6-4, 272, So.)
2) Hunter Henry (6-6, 250, Fr.) NFL
OR
Jeremy Sprinkle (6-6, 250, RFr.) NFL
LT:
1) David Hurd (6-6, 318, Sr.)
2) Dan Skipper (6-10, 317, Fr.) NFL
LG:
1) Mitch Smothers (6-4, 315, So.)
2) Austin Beck (6-7, 305, So.)
C:
1) Travis Swanson (6-5, 315, Sr.) NFL
2) Luke Charpentier (6-4, 316, Jr.)
RG:
1) Brey Cook (6-7, 330, Jr.)
2) Cordale Boyd (6-3, 310, RFr.)
RT:
1) Grady Ollison (6-5, 307, So.)
2) Denver Kirkland (6-5, 345, Fr.) NFL

DEFENSE
DE:
1) Chris Smith (6-3, 270, Sr.) NFL
2) Brandon Lewis (6-5, 260, RFr.)
OR
JaMichael Winston (6-5, 262, RFr.)
DT:
1) Robert Thomas (6-3, 325, Sr.) NFL
2) Demarcus Hodge (6-1, 345, So.)
DT:
1) Byran Jones (6-2, 318, Sr.)
2) Darius Philon (6-3, 300, RFr.) NFL
DE:
1) Trey Flowers (6-4, 265, Jr.) NFL
2) Deatrich Wise Jr. (6-6, 275, RFr.) NFL
SLB:
1) Braylon Mitchell (6-3, 230, Jr.)
2) Martrell Spaight (6-0, 226, Jr.) NFL
MLB:
1) Austin Jones (6-2, 237, Sr.)
2) Brooks Ellis (6-2, 230, Fr.)
WLB:
1) Jarrett Lake (6-3, 235, Sr.)
2) Daunte Carr (6-3, 235, Sr.)
CB:
1) Tevin Mitchel (6-0, 18r.) NFL
2) Carroll Washington (6-0, 180, Jr.)
OR
D.J. Dean (5-10, 190, Fr.)
SS:
1) Rohan Gaines (5-11, 195, So.)
2) Tiquention Coleman (5-10, 195, Jr.)
FS:
1) Eric Bennett (6-0, 200, Sr.)
2) Alan Turner (6-0, 200, Jr.)
CB:
1) Will Hines (6-1, 190, So.)
2) Jared Collins (6-0, 175, RFr.)

SPECIAL TEAMS
K:
1) Zach Hocker NFL
2) Sam Irwin-Hill
OR
John Henson
P:
1)Zach Hocker NFL
2) Sam Irwin-Hill

That's all.

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:33:47 pm
Not trying to change any statement. This is about the 2013 season only.  Because a few players developed after this season into NFL players doesn't mean they were close in 2013.  You and others trying to revise history. 
Someone invented a story, you continue to believe it after it has been shown to be false. 

Atlhogfan1

Atlhogfan1

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: The Copenhagen Kid on November 11, 2017, 05:00:47 pm
Actually 6 Dline NFLers. Look at the TE 2 deep. 

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:21:17 pm

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:39:17 pm
How does that compare to our SEC competition from that season?

Arkansas had 4 players taken in the 2014 NFL Draft, which was tied for the 3rd most in the SEC.

rtr

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on November 11, 2017, 05:41:25 pm
Arkansas had 4 players taken in the 2014 NFL Draft, which was tied for the 3rd most in the SEC.

I'm asking about all of the drafts for this players which is what some of this thread is touting.  You had NFL by more than 4.   Which argument is it? 

Gonzo

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:31:25 pm
Maybe should have won the LSU and/or MSU games.  Missing talent and certainly depth at almost every position. 

Haha, ok. Nevermind the posts within this very thread pointing out the players from that team earning a Sunday paycheck.

I think it's absolutely hilarious you keep trotting out that tidbit right on cue for years now as if it proves anything.

One, as an anonymous comment you have no idea the motivation or sincerity behind it.

Second, even if it was a good faith evaluation, these coaches clearly aren't infallible, as that one's claims clearly showed. The "experts" knew Hillary was going to be living in the White House again this year. The "experts" thought BB knew what he was doing when he took the Hog job.

But you keep telling us how barren that team was, maybe you'll change someone's mind.

Go Hogs!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Gonzo on November 11, 2017, 05:44:13 pm
Haha, ok. Nevermind the posts within this very thread pointing out the players from that team earning a Sunday paycheck.

I think it's absolutely hilarious you keep trotting out that tidbit right on cue for years now as if it proves anything.

One, as an anonymous comment you have no idea the motivation or sincerity behind it.

Second, even if it was a good faith evaluation, these coaches clearly aren't infallible, as that one's claims clearly showed. The "experts" knew Hillary was going to be living in the White House again this year. The "experts" though BB knew what he was doing when he took the Hog job.

But you keep telling us how barren that team was, maybe you'll change someone's mind.

Go Hogs!

And you keep trying to revise history

Players who eventually made the NFL.  All of competition had the same and most more. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on November 11, 2017, 05:41:16 pm
Actually 6 Dline NFLers. Look at the TE 2 deep.

Mitch Loewen and Fr HH?   Wow.  Impressive.  Should have dominated SEC with that depth. 

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:42:47 pm
I'm asking about all of the drafts for this players which is what some of this thread is touting.  You had NFL by more than 4.   Which argument is it?

Had 5 in 2015, tied for 4th in the SEC.

Had 5 in 2016, tied for 3rd in the SEC.

Gonzo

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:46:00 pm

Players who eventually made the NFL.  All of competition had the same and most more. 

Haha, we're the ones trying to revise history? Funniest thing I've read all day.

Go Hogs!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:33:47 pm

You are using only bits of an article to back your point. The coach quoted in that article wasn't talking about the 2014 draft and you know it by it didn't stop you from trying to move the bar though.

There was plenty of talent to win a single conference game with.

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:46:00 pm

No revision at all, hindsight has shown what a false narrative this was and continues to be.  You are inventing facts to suit your biases and belief.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on November 11, 2017, 05:48:05 pm
Had 5 in 2015, tied for 4th in the SEC.

Had 5 in 2016, tied for 3rd in the SEC.

2 7th rounders and 3 6th rounders in 14 and 15 drafts.  That was just loaded NFL talent.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 11, 2017, 05:49:33 pm
You are using only bits of an article to back your point. The coach quoted in that article wasn't talking about the 2014 draft and you know it by it didn't stop you from trying to move the bar though.

There was plenty of talent to win a single conference game with.

I agree we could have and maybe should have won a couple. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on November 11, 2017, 05:50:07 pm
No revision at all, hindsight has shown what a false narrative this was and continues to be.  You are inventing facts to suit your biases and belief.

Have not invented or changed a fact.

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:53:11 pm
Have not invented or changed a fact.
The Rutgers game was a preview of what was to come.  Pitiful.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:51:12 pm
2 7th rounders and 3 6th rounders in 14 and 15 drafts.  That was just loaded NFL talent.

Over those three drafts, Arkansas was alone in 4th in the SEC in draft picks.

A 6th or 7th round draft pick is better than a undrafted player, which is what the other teams in the league had, hence Arkansas being ranked higher than them.

Man I'm gonna need a Gatorade. I'm getting winded chasing you all around this discussion lol

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on November 11, 2017, 05:55:28 pm
The Rutgers game was a preview of what was to come.  Pitiful.

Frustrating loss.  Too many of those before this season even started. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on November 11, 2017, 05:55:51 pm
Over those three drafts, Arkansas was alone in 4th in the SEC in draft picks.

A 6th or 7th round draft pick is better than a undrafted player, which is what the other teams in the league had, hence Arkansas being ranked higher than them.

Man I'm gonna need a Gatorade. I'm getting winded chasing you all around this discussion lol

Not chasing anything.  I am right here.  Trying to tout 2013 Fr and So who eventually made the NFL as making the 2013 team talented is a dumb reach. 

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:58:39 pm
Not chasing anything.  I am right here.  Trying to tout 2013 Fr and So who eventually made the NFL as making the 2013 team talented is a dumb reach. 
You doth protest too much.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 11, 2017, 05:58:39 pm

Already established Arkansas was T-3rd most draft picks that season though.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on November 11, 2017, 06:02:05 pm
Already established Arkansas was T-3rd most draft picks that season though.

Two 7ths a 5th and a 3rd.  A kicker FB Center and DE.  Wow.  That is loaded with talent to win in the SEC in 2013.  A 7th round kicker!