Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My take on BB and what is happening with Razorback Football

Started by lakecityhog, September 25, 2017, 11:52:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

There are a multitude of personalities involved in the coaching world. Most of them are TYPE A guys and some above that. BB is not in that group, BB is the personality that requires a STRONG hand guiding him. Someone to keep him on track, to help him with roster management, someone to actually push him to excel. He had that at Wisconsin and he doesn't here.

Much like a teenager with a strong handed father he sought for the freedom to do things "his" way. Thus the flip-flops and reggae music, the low key practice regimen and the lack of attention to detail. And much like the rebellious teen he is too stubborn to admit that "Dad" was right. He may have to hit rock bottom before he comes around and he may never come around.

If you look at our team objectively you should realize that we really aren't inconsistent, we are doing the exact same things in year 5 that we did in year 1. I call that consistency! I'm not sure that I can remember over 1 or 2 games since he has been here that we didn't give up a HUGE play without laying a single finger on the opponent. I can't think of a single season where we did not have a HUH??? type of loss. I cannot remember us ever having truly good special teams play. I cannot remember a single season without at least 1 head scratcher starter.

Maybe for BB's sake he will reassess his career and in his next job he will do things the right way, maybe he won't.

Mo_Better_Hogs

code red

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 25, 2017, 11:52:39 am
There are a multitude of personalities involved in the coaching world. Most of them are TYPE A guys and some above that. BB is not in that group, BB is the personality that requires a STRONG hand guiding him. Someone to keep him on track, to help him with roster management, someone to actually push him to excel. He had that at Wisconsin and he doesn't here.

Much like a teenager with a strong handed father he sought for the freedom to do things "his" way. Thus the flip-flops and reggae music, the low key practice regimen and the lack of attention to detail. And much like the rebellious teen he is too stubborn to admit that "Dad" was right. He may have to hit rock bottom before he comes around and he may never come around.

If you look at our team objectively you should realize that we really aren't inconsistent, we are doing the exact same things in year 5 that we did in year 1. I call that consistency! I'm not sure that I can remember over 1 or 2 games since he has been here that we didn't give up a HUGE play without laying a single finger on the opponent. I can't think of a single season where we did not have a HUH??? type of loss. I cannot remember us ever having truly good special teams play. I cannot remember a single season without at least 1 head scratcher starter.

Maybe for BB's sake he will reassess his career and in his next job he will do things the right way, maybe he won't.
Agreed and these are aspects beyond losing football games.  I think Razorback fans have always understood its not about winning.  But, when the same mistakes are made over and over.  When the same players are used in the same positions (even after multiple fumbles.)  It make no sense.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I think that defines the current situation with Kurt Anderson. He realizes he made a mistake in the hiring but admitting that would also be admitting that he couldn't "easily replace pittman" like he said he could
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Redhogs

I swear..Bert's favorite presser line " everything we saw out there today is correctable"..you just can't make this stuff up.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Redhogs on September 25, 2017, 12:16:47 pm
I swear..Bert's favorite presser line " everything we saw out there today is correctable"..you just can't make this stuff up.

I've said for years we have a weak media.  Someone with a spine should step up and say, well when will you correct it because we've heard this before. 

Lakecityhog, I do not have the ability to explain my feelings in less than a 2 page rant.  You said exactly my feelings in 3 paragraphs and one sentence.  Bless your soul and thank you.  Exactly what you said.  I agree.

lakecityhog

September 25, 2017, 12:34:39 pm #7 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:03:41 pm by lakecityhog
Guys, my post was not meant as an indictment or a defense of BB. But, as a matter of common decency I really feel like this board should do a better job of moderation when it comes to the head coach, players and even the assistant coaches. We must be better than all of the personal insults!

Comment on his failures but lay off the fat jokes. Call him Bret, Bielema or BB just be decent to another human being. I am sure of this, he is a good man and doesn't deserve the name calling.

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 25, 2017, 12:22:25 pm
I've said for years we have a weak media.  Someone with a spine should step up and say, well when will you correct it because we've heard this before. 

And his honest answer should be " when ever this states starts producing football players like Bama, Ga, La, Miss, Sc, and Fla " cause no one is fixing it until that time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 25, 2017, 12:34:39 pm
Gus, my post was not meant as an indictment or a defense of BB. But, as a matter of common decency I really feel like this board should do a better job of moderation when it comes to the head coach, players and even the assistant coaches. We must be better than all of the personal insults!

Comment on his failures but lay off the fat jokes. Call him Bret, Bielema or BB just be decent to another human being. I am sure of this, he is a good man and doesn't deserve the name calling.

lakecityhog,

It's good to see that there is some great and compassionate OP's / Blogger's still out there.  Two post you have eloquently  expressed your concern and issues with the HBC, coaching staff and team without one insult, derogatory name calling, internet bullying or anything of the sorts.  I was all in with the CBB hire because of his work at Whisky and the relationship of HBC and AD (Alvarez).  I really wanted CBB to have the Razorbacks known for the big mean nasty machine that teams would hate playing because of the Bama-esqe sized OL / DL recruits that he would be able to recruit from the Midwest, the speedsters, bruising RB's and capturing all the in-state talent would be a yearly staple.  I just don't see how with former HBC's as coordinator's, NFL experienced position coaches and the high monetary funding that Arkansas boosters provide continually field a team that's not competing for championships or winning more games against other programs in the SEC. 

It's definitely mind boggling but you hit the Nail-Head moniker to a "T"...Here's to hoping the season can be salvaged and the boys can make a run to keep us Hog Fans happy and proud to support the Arkansas Razorbacks Football Team!!!  Kudos buddies!!!

Hoggie17

You best post, ever. You hit the nail on the head.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRHawg

Well said.

Further reinforcing your point, when he first got here he could not keep his foot out of his mouth, or his wife's out of hers. Reminded me so much of me at age 18-20 when I left home and was in college on my own. I said so many things that, looking back, were foolish, unwise, and short-sighted. I admit, I thought he was a solid hire, but was a little wary since the b1g was down while he had those good seasons. It certainly appears we have paid top dollar for a guy to get some tough life-lessons at our expense. I do fault JL for the one-sided buyout but am willing to wait and see how he handles this post-season. Right now, it certainly looks like we are off the track and CBB is lost trying to find a way to turn it around. I think step one would be to see a psychiatrist, get with a personal trainer, and start eating right and exercising. I'm not kidding. What we see physically with him right now is, in my opinion, a product of what's going on in his head. It may require a year off from coaching and a fresh start somewhere else to get his health/life turned around.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Redhogs on September 25, 2017, 12:16:47 pm

Here we are in year five and the problem with that is he's had four years to correct those correctables.......it hasn't happened. The bigger issue is why not? There has been improvement from year one and two. However improvement appears to have come to a halt last year and this year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lakecityhog

Sanity, if your take is correct then maybe we should just take the recruiting rankings and proclaim division, conference and National Champions in the proper order. We would consistently finish around #25 in the country.

But the truth is that recruiting is only one small part of college football. Teams have to not only recruit great talent, but great talent that fits the team's philosophy. Teams have to be certain that the ranking of recruits is correct and that those recruits haven't "topped out" in High School.

Coaches also need to be able to develop recruits to their utmost potential. Coaches must also be responsible to create matchups favorable to his players.

Recruit better is a way too simplified response, there is soooo much more to college football than just recruiting.

LRHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 25, 2017, 01:11:42 pm
Here we are in year five and the problem with that is he's had four years to correct those correctables.......it hasn't happened. The bigger issue is why not? There has been improvement from year one and two. However improvement appears to have come to a halt last year and this year.

I think his assistant coach management has had a lot to do with this.

YourMom

Quote from: LRHawg on September 25, 2017, 01:18:41 pm
I think his assistant coach management has had a lot to do with this.

It absolutely does.  Rhoads was known for playing aggressive defense at Iowa State.  We hardly saw a blitz called Saturday, against a Freshman QB no less.  Same prevent nonsense we've seen the last few years with a different scheme and coordinator. 

Bielema needs to get out of the way and realize when you play not to lose, you typically end up losing.

bphi11ips

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 25, 2017, 01:14:23 pm
Sanity, if your take is correct then maybe we should just take the recruiting rankings and proclaim division, conference and National Champions in the proper order. We would consistently finish around #25 in the country.

But the truth is that recruiting is only one small part of college football. Teams have to not only recruit great talent, but great talent that fits the team's philosophy. Teams have to be certain that the ranking of recruits is correct and that those recruits haven't "topped out" in High School.

Coaches also need to be able to develop recruits to their utmost potential. Coaches must also be responsible to create matchups favorable to his players.

Recruit better is a way too simplified response, there is soooo much more to college football than just recruiting.

Good points.

A&M's average recruiting ranking the last five years has been 11. Arkansas's is 27.  I used Rivals because the website is user friendly.

In spite of the recruiting gap, A&M needed a field goal to get to overtime Saturday. In fact, the Aggies have needed OT in 3 of the last 4 games to get by the Hogs.

If not superior coaching, what accounts for Arkansas closing the talent gap at gametime? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogdomer

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 12:53:08 pm
And his honest answer should be " when ever this states starts producing football players like Bama, Ga, La, Miss, Sc, and Fla " cause no one is fixing it until that time.

Broken record.  Those same recruiting services you rely on over and over have us as a more talented team than TCU, Texas Tech, Mizzou and Toledo.

bphi11ips, remember they played by total necessity, the A&M 3rd string freshman QB and 9 of the 10 other offensive starters were freshmen.  They do outrecruit us annually but our main string against their freshman team, in my opinion, takes the recruiting out of this particular loss to A&M.

Its my opinion that good coaching could have won this A&M game for us.  Actually good coaching did win the game, just not for us.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 12247 on September 25, 2017, 01:49:59 pm
bphi11ips, remember they played by total necessity, the A&M 3rd string freshman QB and 9 of the 10 other offensive starters were freshmen.  They do outrecruit us annually but our main string against their freshman team, in my opinion, takes the recruiting out of this particular loss to A&M.

Its my opinion that good coaching could have won this A&M game for us.  Actually good coaching did win the game, just not for us.

I don't think you're right about 10 of 11 starters on offense being freshmen. I just checked A&M's two deep and watched A&M's first series Saturday.  You probably misinterpreted Allison Williams comments during that series. She said ten freshmen have played for A&M on offense this season. A&M's latest two deep showed Ausbon as only freshman starter, but we know Mond made two. 7 others are in two deep - 4 true freshman and 3 RS FR.

hogsanity

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 25, 2017, 01:14:23 pm

Except for that #25 in the nation is still only maybe 10th or 11th in the SEC in the recruiting rankings each year. So, if we follow that out then a team with the 10th or 11th best class every year is probably going to lose 4 or 5 games in conference and that keeps you out of the top 25.

Look, I get that recruiting is not all of it, but it is a large part of college football, and all of what you listed goes into recruiting.  I do not care how good the coach supposedly is, give him lesser talent 4-6 times a year and he won't be winning any titles.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 25, 2017, 01:46:11 pm
Broken record.  Those same recruiting services you rely on over and over have us as a more talented team than TCU, Texas Tech, Mizzou and Toledo.

I do not rely on the recruiting services. And people view recruiting too simplistically. Take TCU, how are their DL and lbs rated compared to the Hogs OL, because that is who they matchup with. I could not care less if my WR's are better than yours. I care if My wr's are better than your db's. Are my Ol better players than your dl players.

Also, lets just use the two qb's from Sat. I do not know which Qb was rated higher out of HS, the classes were 4 years apart, and was the Qb class stronger one year than the other? Plus, it does not matter. What matters is the defense better than the Qb and his receivers?

When Green Bay plays New England, Tom Brady is not defending against Aaron Rogers and vise versa. Tom Brady is playing against the Packer D and AR againts the NE D.

Last Sat the problem again was with team speed on D and being out of position 3 times. The offense put up 43 pts, despite AA being assaulted, AGAIN, because the Ol can't block for more than 1.5 seconds.

MJ2

We shouldn't pay $4M+ per year for him to go to coaching kindergarten.

hogsanity

Quote from: MJ2 on September 25, 2017, 02:56:48 pm
We shouldn't pay $4M+ per year for him to go to coaching kindergarten.

It's the going rate in the SEC. If they went and hired a HS coach to do the job he'd get 4mil simply because that is the market rate.

LRHawg

I remember editorials from Wisconsin saying Alvarez was the main driver behind CBB's success. Wonder if Jeff Long actually talked to people up there or he had already made up his mind after the "Sincerely, BB" at the end of the letter to Long.

Telling (from earlier this year):
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-barry-alvarez-arkansas-wisconsin

They didn't talk for a while after that. But they began communicating again in December 2015. Bielema even called Alvarez for coaching advice this spring.

Here's even more ammo for LakeCityHog's point. The wheels were falling off, so CBB finally reconciles. Quite the prodigal son.

Redhogs

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 25, 2017, 01:34:59 pm
Good points.

A&M's average recruiting ranking the last five years has been 11. Arkansas's is 27.  I used Rivals because the website is user friendly.

In spite of the recruiting gap, A&M needed a field goal to get to overtime Saturday. In fact, the Aggies have needed OT in 3 of the last 4 games to get by the Hogs.

If not superior coaching, what accounts for Arkansas closing the talent gap at gametime?
A&M played 18 true freshmen according to the announcers?

Redhogs

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 25, 2017, 01:46:11 pm
Thank you.

cj_sez

At Wisconsin, Bielema was handed a program by Alvarez who as a former coach may have been able to assist him in ways Long is incapable of doing. The level of oversight and guidance may have been key to his "success" there. Long is an administrator and I think lacks an instinct for assessing coaches ability and skill. This is simply an opinion, but I think Bielema had an hyper-inflated view of his competence and sought a job in the SEC to "show em how it's done" and the Peter Principle came into effect.  It states that the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role, thus a candidate rises to the level of their own incompetence. Long should have looked for a coach with a KNOWN ability to build a program and he did not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Redhogs on September 25, 2017, 03:23:05 pm
Thank you.

They also had OSu as a more talented team than TCU. Maybe the recruiting services are not very accurate?

LRHawg

Quote from: cj_sez on September 25, 2017, 03:23:48 pm
At Wisconsin, Bielema was handed a program by Alvarez who as a former coach may have been able to assist him in ways Long is incapable of doing. The level of oversight and guidance may have been key to his "success" there. Long is an administrator and I think lacks an instinct for assessing coaches ability and skill. This is simply an opinion, but I think Bielema had an hyper-inflated view of his competence and sought a job in the SEC to "show em how it's done" and the Peter Principle came into effect.  It states that the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role, thus a candidate rises to the level of their own incompetence. Long should have looked for a coach with a KNOWN ability to build a program and he did not.

Did Long learn this lesson? I for one hope that we aren't required to wait and find out.

buldozer

+1, Its time for him to move on to that next job and own up to his failure in the SEC

cj_sez

Quote from: LRHawg on September 25, 2017, 03:27:27 pm
Did Long learn this lesson? I for one hope that we aren't required to wait and find out.

Hopefully, the BOT learned this lesson.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Redhogs on September 25, 2017, 03:21:37 pm

Here's an A&M depth chart:

https://texags.com/aggie-football/depth-chart

Not sure how accurate it is.  Couldn't find one on the A&M homepage, just a roster.

Allison Williams, ESPN sideline reporter, said during A&M's first offensive series that A&M had played 18 freshmen during the season prior to the Razorbacks game.  She didn't say true freshmen. 

The 2 male announcers announced that 10 of the 11 starters were freshmen and i will admit I could have misunderstood exactly what was meant by that.  i also believe that a team so depleted that it had to start 10 freshmen on offense would likely be in more trouble than A&M was.

bphi11ips

I just watched A&M's first play on offense. Here are the numbers:

75, 77, 64, 70, 86, 78, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11

According to the roster, that's 2 seniors, 4 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 3 freshman. 

Here are Arkansas numbers on first play on offense:

8, 85, 44, 33, 34, 63, 72, 51, 74, 66, 1

That's 4 seniors, 3 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 1 freshman.

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on September 25, 2017, 03:21:37 pm

The same ones that said Bielema was undefeated after a bye week at Arkansas, except he wasn't, started 0-3??

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: LRHawg on September 25, 2017, 03:15:41 pm
I remember editorials from Wisconsin saying Alvarez was the main driver behind CBB's success. Wonder if Jeff Long actually talked to people up there or he had already made up his mind after the "Sincerely, BB" at the end of the letter to Long.

Telling (from earlier this year):
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bret-bielema-barry-alvarez-arkansas-wisconsin

They didn't talk for a while after that. But they began communicating again in December 2015. Bielema even called Alvarez for coaching advice this spring.

Here's even more ammo for LakeCityHog's point. The wheels were falling off, so CBB finally reconciles. Quite the prodigal son.

This is what I've been thinking for a while. Alvarez was and still is the main force of Wisconsin's success. Bielema at Arkansas just looks like he doesn't know what to do or how to fix our problems. Alvarez ain't here to turn to for him. What we have is a HC in his fifth year that is still learning how to be a HC on his own. That's not good for Arkansas in the SEC.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 05:12:59 pm
The same ones that said Bielema was undefeated after a bye week at Arkansas, except he wasn't, started 0-3??

What happened to good old graphics?

jvanhorn

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 12:53:08 pm

Well then it is never going to get fixed because the Waltons, the Republicans and the Charter schools are destroying the public school system, especially in Little Rock or, as the previous supt.had the honesty to say before getiing fired, lol.  Little Rock schools will look just like Detroit in 10 years if we don't stop this.  We are right on schedule.