Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On A Positive Note

Started by The NewEra, September 25, 2017, 11:11:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

I know the haters don't want to hear anything positive.  That's fine, then stay away from this thread.  For those like me who are content to take the rest of the season one game at a time, let things play out and continue my support for the PLAYERS, here are some things I see that are promising.

Defense:   This is the 3-4 defense everyone said would take one or more years to install.  By that measure we are ahead of schedule.  The front line played well.  Our breakdowns came on a handful of plays from the safety and linebacker positions.  Shore those reading keys up a bit more and fewer big plays.  The secondary played decent most of the game.  We have more defensive talent and depth than we've had in the past despite the loss of Pulley.

Offense:  Enos off week showed that if we utilize some of the newer skilled people in exotic roles we can keep defenses on their heels.  I like the utilization of Cole Kelley and hope they expand his role.  He's not easy to bring down and he's a much better runner than Allen.  He brings some unique skills to the table.  Hayden is a early round NFL draft pick in the making.  His utilization at the Wild Hog formation could completely change the win loss outcome of the year.  T.J. Hammonds has true playmaking ability and if they can use him more it will again help to keep defenses off balance and honest.  David Williams has emerged as a real threat in his own right.  He's big, physical, can block and catch the ball and he runs with a passion.

If we line up and play offense they way we have in the past, then everyone has our number and we don't have the line capable of playing that style.  But, if Enos gets real creative as mentioned above and takes some of the pressure off the o-line then we could witness some fun games and the emergence of some talented young players.

Special Teams:  We have someone who can make a PAT.

I'll spend the rest of this season supporting the young men wearing Razorbacks on their helmet.  Regardless what happens in the coaching carousel those young men came to Arkansas because of the passion of the fanbase and I believe they deserve my support.  Plus, they will still be here no matter what happens.

hawg66

September 25, 2017, 11:24:13 am #1 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:34:31 am by hawg66
Good luck keeping the haters out.

I thought the changes offensively were good. They fixed short yardage and they were much better in the red zone. I think they need to find ways to get the young WR'e more involved. If you have to simplify things do it. Jones was electric when he got the ball. Bubble screens and quick throws at the line maybe.

Now we need to see Rhoads step up and fix some things defensively.  Different problems. The talent at OLB limits some of what he wants to do. He's got to get out of his comfort zone, get a little exotic.

I'm not giving up on the season. There's still time to get better.

The NewEra

Quote from: Agent S on September 25, 2017, 11:23:12 am
Didn't read: hey man, Coach B don't have a clue, that's reality homie.

If homie means supporting the players then yep, that's me.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: The NewEra on September 25, 2017, 11:11:03 am
I know the haters don't want to hear anything positive.  That's fine, then stay away from this thread.  For those like me who are content to take the rest of the season one game at a time, let things play out and continue my support for the PLAYERS, here are some things I see that are promising.

Defense:   This is the 3-4 defense everyone said would take one or more years to install.  By that measure we are ahead of schedule.  The front line played well.  Our breakdowns came on a handful of plays from the safety and linebacker positions.  Shore those reading keys up a bit more and fewer big plays.  The secondary played decent most of the game.  We have more defensive talent and depth than we've had in the past despite the loss of Pulley.

Offense:  Enos off week showed that if we utilize some of the newer skilled people in exotic roles we can keep defenses on their heels.  I like the utilization of Cole Kelley and hope they expand his role.  He's not easy to bring down and he's a much better runner than Allen.  He brings some unique skills to the table.  Hayden is a early round NFL draft pick in the making.  His utilization at the Wild Hog formation could completely change the win loss outcome of the year.  T.J. Hammonds has true playmaking ability and if they can use him more it will again help to keep defenses off balance and honest.  David Williams has emerged as a real threat in his own right.  He's big, physical, can block and catch the ball and he runs with a passion.

If we line up and play offense they way we have in the past, then everyone has our number and we don't have the line capable of playing that style.  But, if Enos gets real creative as mentioned above and takes some of the pressure off the o-line then we could witness some fun games and the emergence of some talented young players.

I'll spend the rest of this season supporting the young men wearing Razorbacks on their helmet.  Regardless what happens in the coaching carousel those young men came to Arkansas because of the passion of the fanbase and I believe they deserve my support.  Plus, they will still be here no matter what happens.
I don't think there is a team outside of Bama with a secondary fast enough t ostop Christian kirk. Only problem they will run into is a young QB unable to get the ball to him
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Poker_hog

Biggest positive of this season:  stadium expansion + low fan demand = great opportunity to upgrade season tickets.

We won't suck forever. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

robs4516

I laughed when I read that. Pretty much the definition of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".
First of all, I didn't start it...
Second of all, they were all still alive when I walked out

hobhog

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 25, 2017, 11:31:22 am
Biggest positive of this season:  stadium expansion + low fan demand = great opportunity to upgrade season tickets.

We won't suck forever.

There you go. I plan on going to most of the rest of the games and seeing where chips fall. If it's a spoiler role so be it.

But I don't see many season ticket holders dropping off because of this season. It's not worth the drop in ticket priority to do it these days, plus season ticket holders are typically pretty loyal.

Kevin

there were some positives. at the end of the day, it is a loss. 4 in a row to p5 conference schools
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HoggyCat

Defense:   We were playing a PATHETIC A&M team.  PATHETIC

Offense: We were playing a PATHETIC A&M team. PATHETIC

Defense is ahead of schedule giving up half a hundred??  Glad you feel that way.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

The NewEra

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 25, 2017, 11:31:02 am
I don't think there is a team outside of Bama with a secondary fast enough t ostop Christian kirk. Only problem they will run into is a young QB unable to get the ball to him

Kirk will be a challenge for everyone.

1highhog

Quote from: hobhog on September 25, 2017, 11:37:11 am
There you go. I plan on going to most of the rest of the games and seeing where chips fall. If it's a spoiler role so be it.

But I don't see many season ticket holders dropping off because of this season. It's not worth the drop in ticket priority to do it these days, plus season ticket holders are typically pretty loyal.

Hopefully we can play spoiler this weekend and beat NMS. 

niels_boar

The performance of the offense in the fourth quarter was impressive.  The defense was lousy, but A&M is probably a good offensive team.  It shouldn't be forgotten that the D's performance against TCU is holding up.  Can the holes be plugged?  We'll see.  USC isn't nearly as explosive on O as A&M.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Hogdomer

Quote from: robs4516 on September 25, 2017, 11:32:23 am
I laughed when I read that. Pretty much the definition of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

It's not even true.  Hedlund has never missed a PAT.

gchamblee

Ya I really wasn't disappointed in the D, outside of a few mess ups. It looks like moving to the 3-4 was a solid decision and I feel good about CPR being the DC. Our offense finally started clicking a bit in the 4th which was promising. Hopefully that is enough to build on as we go. I was also happy to see us score points in the second half and not just fold. We fought back which is something we have been missing recently. CK looked good behind center, but he is raw. I look forward to him becoming the man.

1highhog

I to liked the fact that the coaches used Kelly in some form of way because we really need to get him on the field just for next season.  But they need to continue to expand his role and soon because now every opposing DC will have tape on what to do when he enters the game and for all those posting about us having this new dual threat QB and using CK like Auburn used Cam will be brought back down to reality and see just how slow of foot Cole really is.  Right now as is our Oline will get Cole killed because by the time he steps back to steps he'll be picking turf out of his mouth.  AA is a faster runner than Cole but after getting ate alive last season he's hearing steps everytime and who can blame the kid.  Even Mike Irwin was a little critical of AA's play Saturday and then stated how he then came back in the 4th with some really great throws, and then wondered how throwing that int. might effect him going forward.  If AA can't get a control on his mental game, we are going to really struggle even more than most want to let on.

STLhawg

Defense:   This is the 3-4 defense everyone said would take one or more years to install.  By that measure we are ahead of schedule. 
Are you high?  I'm being completely serious!  I just don't understand how any with a brain thinks our defense is "ahead of schedule" after giving up that many yards to a really young TAMU team that was lead by a TRUE freshman QB (that looked very lackluster against other teams ).  You act as if the coaching staff expected to give up 700 yards this game -- do you realize how absurd that sounds?

There were positives from this game but not really on defense (as we still appear to have all the same problems we did prior to the switch).

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 25, 2017, 11:42:56 am

Defense is ahead of schedule giving up half a hundred??  Glad you feel that way.

Another bombastic post by a petulant fan brought to you courtesy of Hogville. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

code red

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 25, 2017, 11:42:56 am

I agree there was absolutely nothing positive to report about that defense and or scheme.  It was quite obvious in the off season we didn't have the studs to run a 3 front and now it is coming to light.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

gchamblee

Funny watching a guy try to discuss the game instead of "Fire EVERYONE!!!" and the usual crowd is in here brigading the thread because it offends them.

Inhogswetrust

I know the haters don't want to hear anything positive.  That's fine, then stay away from this thread.

Once a thread is started it becomes fair game for discussion within the rules of no bashing players, other posters and coaches families.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 25, 2017, 12:10:44 pm
Another bombastic post by a petulant fan brought to you courtesy of Hogville. 

In the immortal words of Marion Michael Morrison.....................better know as John Wayne................Petulance Becky?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

There is NO POSITIVE NOTES WHEN YOU LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bret never beat BAMA or TAMU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Gentlemen, The Freshman A&M QB, Mond, was the 3rd string QB 3 games ago.  QBs 1 and 2 got hurt.  Remember FRESHMAN QB:::::::::::The A&M offense started 10 thats ten freshmen on offense.  Now you only play at anyone time, legally 11, so 10 of 11 starters were freshmen, including the 3rd team QB who, let me remind you, is a freshman. 

NewEra, This is a well rounded thread you started.  You manage to label anyone who disagrees with the current coaching situation as haters.  You manage to get in a dig indicating back handed, that many do not support the PLAYERS.  You manage to order the exclusion of haters from your thread.  You outline those things you see as positive, though we haters, by your definition, believe any HC would know and see these things you see and already have them implemented.  You point out the Special Teams of which we don't have, actually.  You seem to see ways we could improve by utilizing different players and maybe formations, but we haters see that too and have for nearly 5 years.  You are willing, it appears, for the good of the players, to take it one game at a time this season so I ask you, after 50+ one game at a times, how far are you willing to go, you know, for the good of the players and, have you ever considered how much this poor coaching has harmed these players you care so much about.  Doing what is best for the players is very big on my list of what should happen.  So as a defined hater, yet a concerned human for the players, I see a coaching change as necessary, you know, for the players benefit.  What say you.

The NewEra

Quote from: 1highhog on September 25, 2017, 12:01:36 pm
I to liked the fact that the coaches used Kelly in some form of way because we really need to get him on the field just for next season.  But they need to continue to expand his role and soon because now every opposing DC will have tape on what to do when he enters the game and for all those posting about us having this new dual threat QB and using CK like Auburn used Cam will be brought back down to reality and see just how slow of foot Cole really is.  Right now as is our Oline will get Cole killed because by the time he steps back to steps he'll be picking turf out of his mouth.  AA is a faster runner than Cole but after getting ate alive last season he's hearing steps everytime and who can blame the kid.  Even Mike Irwin was a little critical of AA's play Saturday and then stated how he then came back in the 4th with some really great throws, and then wondered how throwing that int. might effect him going forward.  If AA can't get a control on his mental game, we are going to really struggle even more than most want to let on.

I too think Allen's mental game needs to step it up.  What he was showing was finger pointing that game and not leadership.  I don't want to see him lose the team's support.  I expect him to correct that.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 12247 on September 25, 2017, 01:36:42 pm
Gentlemen, The Freshman A&M QB, Mond, was the 3rd string QB 3 games ago.  QBs 1 and 2 got hurt.  Remember FRESHMAN QB:::::::::::The A&M offense started 10 thats ten freshmen on offense.  Now you only play at anyone time, legally 11, so 10 of 11 starters were freshmen, including the 3rd team QB who, let me remind you, is a freshman. 

NewEra, This is a well rounded thread you started.  You manage to label anyone who disagrees with the current coaching situation as haters.  You manage to get in a dig indicating back handed, that many do not support the PLAYERS.  You manage to order the exclusion of haters from your thread.  You outline those things you see as positive, though we haters, by your definition, believe any HC would know and see these things you see and already have them implemented.  You point out the Special Teams of which we don't have, actually.  You seem to see ways we could improve by utilizing different players and maybe formations, but we haters see that too and have for nearly 5 years.  You are willing, it appears, for the good of the players, to take it one game at a time this season so I ask you, after 50+ one game at a times, how far are you willing to go, you know, for the good of the players and, have you ever considered how much this poor coaching has harmed these players you care so much about.  Doing what is best for the players is very big on my list of what should happen.  So as a defined hater, yet a concerned human for the players, I see a coaching change as necessary, you know, for the players benefit.  What say you.

yawn
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Everyone have a bowl of Wheaties and Go Hogs Go!!!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 25, 2017, 02:43:12 pm
Everyone have a bowl of Wheaties and Go Hogs Go!!!

Naw Just Smile ole Jeffery Long got our subpar Coach tied up with a pair of 15 million dollar handcuffs.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The NewEra

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 25, 2017, 02:45:08 pm
Naw Just Smile ole Jeffery Long got our subpar Coach tied up with a pair of 15 million dollar handcuffs.

DeltaBoy, I've heard you calling into the talk shows.  You don't have any room to make fun of anyone.

STLhawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 25, 2017, 02:40:07 pm
yawn
Does all the losing make you tired or something?  BB is 10-23 in his SEC games; just how bad does it have to get for you to agree we need a change?  Are you good with a SEC record of 13-27 under BB?  What about 16-32?

The NewEra

Quote from: STLhawg on September 25, 2017, 02:48:09 pm
Does all the losing make you tired or something?  BB is 10-23 in his SEC games; just how bad does it have to get for you to agree we need a change?  Are you good with a SEC record of 13-27 under BB?  What about 16-32?

These players will still be here no matter what the coaching situation is.  They deserve our support.

Dropkick

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 25, 2017, 11:51:36 am
It's not even true.  Hedlund has never missed a PAT.
No, it was worse, he missed field goals from basically PAT distance.

gchamblee

He was yawning at 12247. Dude just hammers away on his keyboard posting what appears to be a can of alphabet soup that exploded against a white wall. After 2 minutes of reading it a few times, you realize he didn't actually say anything.

bphi11ips

Quote from: 12247 on September 25, 2017, 01:36:42 pm

I corrected this in another thread with an explanation so won't repeat it here. A&M has 6 FR and 3 RS FR in two deep. They didn't start 10 on offense. I think Mond and Ausbon were only two.

Are you familiar with IMG?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

KlubhouseKonnected

How many weeks of the same repeated statements. It's boring. The OP at least wants to talk about things that aren't simply rehashed whines.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

The NewEra

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 25, 2017, 03:38:59 pm
How many weeks of the same repeated statements. It's boring. The OP at least wants to talk about things that aren't simply rehashed whines.

My faith in hogville is restored.  Finally someone gets it.

Hogdomer

Quote from: Dropkick on September 25, 2017, 02:50:11 pm
No, it was worse, he missed field goals from basically PAT distance.

True.  And that's what he should have said.

Godfather

The whole argument is OK, if we were playing a powerhouse, but this was (about to fire THEIR coach) Texas atm.  A dumpster fire of a team.
WPS to the end.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 25, 2017, 02:52:45 pm
I corrected this in another thread with an explanation so won't repeat it here. A&M has 6 FR and 3 RS FR in two deep. They didn't start 10 on offense. I think Mond and Ausbon were only two.

Are you familiar with IMG?

We even have a player from there.

Uberanubis

Quote from: hobhog on September 25, 2017, 11:37:11 am

well then that's gonna make a lot more people mad because it means tickets are still sold and it wont be sign that fans are mad because the wanst a new coach
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.