Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Half Full or Half Empty?

Started by bphi11ips, September 24, 2017, 02:10:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vandybuff

Quote from: damgoodestuffyhog on September 24, 2017, 07:10:13 pm
Bama gonna Bama? They had only given up 13 total points in the prior three games, which is a good sign, given the competition wasn't elite. We will know a lot more about Vandy's D after the next two games.
thanks for the kind words and I'm not disappointed whatsoever.  against teams of 'non' super-human talent I think we can hold our own.  :)
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Swestwill66

DANG GERMANS!!!!!!!     
But ,I agree with your post!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Oklahawg

Great OP. Finally found a thread that was not all mindless chatter.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

You nailed something in the OP. It needs to be repeated -

VEGAS BOOKIES DO NOT MISS THEIR LINES JUST TO APPEASE A FANBASE.

This was destined to be a .500 season, give or take.

And, there IS progress.

We are probably left to address, honestly, just how much better we should expect the OL to be, and how much we could have expected from the WR this year.

Let's not forget that of the six top players last March 1 - Allen, Ragnow, Cornelius, RW3, Pulley, and Agim - three are out for the year with an injury. Allen looks compromised - either as a leader or from an injury robbing him of his skills. That leaves us with Ragnow and Agim. Man, to have 4-5 more just like them. But, imagine having all six healthy and able to go full speed all year.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

STLhawg

Dude the glass is maybe 1/3 full (and therefore would be 2/3 empty) but likely even less!

Swestwill66

Oh, it is tiresome reading the same old negative dribble on every post. No matter the title, coach is fat, the line stinks, we can't do anything right blah,blah,blah. Never mind coach enos called a pretty creative game. Coach B was in the grill of those linemen and it seemed to help,but nothing seems to matter to some.
    If they would have pulled it out there still would have been griping and whining because we didn't win by 4 tds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: STLhawg on September 24, 2017, 08:01:46 pm
Dude the glass is maybe 1/3 full (and therefore would be 2/3 empty) but likely even less!

That's a start!
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 24, 2017, 07:53:14 pm

And, there IS progress.

We are probably left to address, honestly, just how much better we should expect the OL to be, and how much we could have expected from the WR this year.

Let's not forget that of the six top players last March 1 - Allen, Ragnow, Cornelius, RW3, Pulley, and Agim - three are out for the year with an injury. Allen looks compromised - either as a leader or from an injury robbing him of his skills. That leaves us with Ragnow and Agim. Man, to have 4-5 more just like them. But, imagine having all six healthy and able to go full speed all year.

Yep.  Even the best outlook can be seriously altered by injuries.  Only a few teams can say "next" like Alabama. 

Snouty

In the words of Houston Nutt, we're so close.  No way we're going to beat Alabama, but every other team on the schedule is beatable.  South Carolina only beat Louisiana Tech by 1 at home (same as Arkansas last year), LSU allowed Syracuse to score 25 points at LSU, Auburn has turnover issues, and Mississippi State didn't look like world beaters at Georgia, and we get to play MSU at Fayetteville.   Ole Miss is a bigger dumpster fire than A&M.  I see Arkansas going 8-4 or 7-5.

RebelliousHog

The physicist says that the glass is not empty at all - it is half-filled with water and half-filled with air - hence, fully filled on the whole!

We got nothing to worry about.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 06:00:52 pm
Whatsshakin holds record of 27 question marks in a single post, so I need a little help here.

After further deliberations, I've ruled in favor of the defendant, assuming of course the check clears. All extraneous matter will be included in the question of the question marks.

bondhue

It's an easy season to predict.  Was from the start.  Four wins, five tops. 
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 24, 2017, 04:47:05 pm
You really expect folks to read that dissertation? This is like 1000 deltaboy posts.

Okay, that last part is funny. But I'm going to read the mother!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bphi11ips

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 24, 2017, 09:29:19 pm
Okay, that last part is funny. But I'm going to read the mother!

Good bedtime story.

jrulz83

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 09:14:33 pm
After further deliberations, I've ruled in favor of the defendant, assuming of course the check clears. All extraneous matter will be included in the question of the question marks.

If it does not fit you must acquit.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

twistitup

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 24, 2017, 08:09:18 pm
Yep.  Even the best outlook can be seriously altered by injuries.  Only a few teams can say "next" like Alabama. 

Bama has 3 starting lb's get injured in the past 2 games - they still blanked Vandy....

Some teams look for excuses to fail, others overcome obstacles like injury. The teams the overcome injuries have depth....we don't have much depth. Why?

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on September 25, 2017, 08:46:39 am
Bama has 3 starting lb's get injured in the past 2 games - they still blanked Vandy....

Some teams look for excuses to fail, others overcome obstacles like injury. The teams the overcome injuries have depth....we don't have much depth. Why?

Seriously, they stack 4* +  5 * like you do empty Busch Light cans, depth isn't an issue with them. They are probably one of a handful of programs that have ample depth, but even it is untested at times.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 08:49:50 am
Seriously, they stack 4* +  5 * like you do empty Busch Light cans, depth isn't an issue with them. They are probably one of a handful of programs that have ample depth, but even it is untested at times.

Everybody puts bama on top and acts like nobody else can do it like them...it has to do with recruiting and retaining players that fit the scheme. So...the scheme can't always be in transition or you end up with guys that don't fit the program. Bama consistently runs the same scheme and everyone on the roster fits that scheme.

We are always changing our style of ball and that hurts the overall success of the program. Do you recruit to play Enos ball or CBB ball? Oh...you blend the two? Sure....and you have the current day Razorback program.

We should be loaded with 3-4* talent while bama is loaded w 4-5* talent - nothing should stand in the way of us having depth. Quality depth is dependent on player retention and player development. We aren't doing something right. Dreams of a good season are not supposed to end with the injury of one or two players. A&M seems to be picking up the pieces fairly well - they lost their #1 qb and just beat our Sr qb.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 08:49:50 am

Busch Lite?

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on September 25, 2017, 08:55:54 am
Everybody puts bama on top and acts like nobody else can do it like them...it has to do with recruiting and retaining players that fit the scheme. So...the scheme can't always be in transition or you end up with guys that don't fit the program. Bama consistently runs the same scheme and everyone on the roster fits that scheme.

We are always changing our style of ball and that hurts the overall success of the program. Do you recruit to play Enos ball or CBB ball? Oh...you blend the two? Sure....and you have the current day Razorback program.

We should be loaded with 3-4* talent while bama is loaded w 4-5* talent - nothing should stand in the way of us having depth. Quality depth is dependent on player retention and player development. We aren't doing something right. Dreams of a good season are not supposed to end with the injury of one or two players. A&M seems to be picking up the pieces fairly well - they lost their #1 qb and just beat our Sr qb.

So, Bama played the same offense with McIlvoy as it does with Hurts? I wouldn't think so, so yes, they have changed their system before. When your depth is 4+5*, it's easier to overcome injuries, and to development, logic would assume its easier to develop those guys over lower rated ones.

As to aTm, their #1 was a freshman before he was injured, correct? Mond played in some series before he was injured, too.

HatfieldHog

The OP is seeing a "glass half full"?  Seriously?  We got beat by a true freshman QB and heavy freshman team.  We have a 5 year senior QB that we can't win with.  We are going to throw a brand new QB out there next year!!!

And this OP sees the glass half full?

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

bphi11ips

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 25, 2017, 09:14:34 am
The OP is seeing a "glass half full"?  Seriously?  We got beat by a true freshman QB and heavy freshman team.  We have a 5 year senior QB that we can't win with.  We are going to throw a brand new QB out there next year!!!

And this OP sees the glass half full?

See ya

Noting HatfieldHog as half-empty.

FrozenHam

+1 bphi11ips!

Valid points.  Appreciate your perspective, and your optimism.  Go Hogs!

deserthog

bphi11ips

Quote from: deserthog on September 25, 2017, 10:25:23 am

Not bad after first 6-pack.

Maybe, but rice could use some depth in his beer cooler. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 25, 2017, 09:07:01 am
Busch Lite?

I don't know what Twist consumes when he has an adult beverage, just threw it out there.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 25, 2017, 10:37:24 am
Maybe, but rice could use some depth in his beer cooler. 

That's not for me, I drink Michelob Ultra when I have a beer anymore. I didn't ever get into the craft beers, my oldest is always wanting me to try something new, lol.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 11:35:26 am
That's not for me, I drink Michelob Ultra when I have a beer anymore. I didn't ever get into the craft beers, my oldest is always wanting me to try something new, lol.

I almost said at least get some Mich Ultra.  We don't always agree, but when we do, it's about beer.

SA Hog Fan

I thought this was going to be a post about how you saw the stadium for the rest of the year

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

vandybuff

All I can say is Vandy, too, is not sure if the glass is half-full or half-empty .... 'cause Alabama crushed our glass! 
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

311Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 24, 2017, 07:53:14 pm

And, there IS progress.

Such a good post.  In terms off our best we have really been hit hard by the injury bug.

I know that no one wants to hear excuses but when you put it in terms like this post it is pretty stark that outside of Allen and Ragnow our offense is unknowns.  I have said it before but seeing Hayden in the Wildhog, i would welcome the Hayden Hammonds Wildhog 2.0.

bphi11ips

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on September 25, 2017, 11:45:28 am
I thought this was going to be a post about how you saw the stadium for the rest of the year

That would be full except for the OOCs. 

But good thought.