Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we utilize RPO's much?

Started by EngrHog, September 16, 2017, 09:39:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EngrHog

Seems like if you hear anycoach or analyst talk, the Run Pass Option is the Achilles heal of any defense, even Saban's. I know it is commonplace with most spread teams. Obviously we run a pro style offense and I'm sure we use these to some extent, but to my untrained eye it doesn't appear we use the biggest offensive advantage in the game anywhere near as much as the rest of the college landscape does.

Am I mistaken?
Whether you think you can do something or not, you are probably right

presidenthog

We do not use any. We never will. Bert himself said that if you don't use a fullback we will kick your ass.

Except the teams that do not use one kicks his ass

Poker_hog

Tune into espn classics and you'll see the concepts we're trying to master.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

King Kong

All the short line of scrimmage passes to Drew Morgan last year and this year Nance are RPO options.

presidenthog

Quote from: King Kong on September 16, 2017, 09:46:47 pm
All the short line of scrimmage passes to Drew Morgan last year and this year Nance are RPO options.

I believe those are designed PA's.

PossumFan

Quote from: EngrHog on September 16, 2017, 09:39:15 pm
Seems like if you hear anycoach or analyst talk, the Run Pass Option is the Achilles heal of any defense, even Saban's. I know it is commonplace with most spread teams. Obviously we run a pro style offense and I'm sure we use these to some extent, but to my untrained eye it doesn't appear we use the biggest offensive advantage in the game anywhere near as much as the rest of the college landscape does.

Am I mistaken?

How dare you ask an actual football question. Don't you know this is a "fire fat Bert" board? Come back when you have something clever to say about Bert at the Golden Corral buffet.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: EngrHog on September 16, 2017, 09:39:15 pm

Am I mistaken?
No!  No rpo's for Coach Bert's offense,we use Hoganese instead.  It's much better!

King Kong

Quote from: presidenthog on September 16, 2017, 09:48:47 pm
I believe those are designed PA's.

I'm talking about the quick throws to the slot Receiver where the Outside receiver blocks. Like Morgan's TD vs UTEP. No PA on those throws. Number of men in the box determines if it's a throw or run.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:75.0%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/flf-vZ7h0B4?ecver=2"; width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

010HogFan

Quote from: King Kong on September 17, 2017, 01:11:56 am
I'm talking about the quick throws to the slot Receiver where the Outside receiver blocks. Like Morgan's TD vs UTEP.

That's not an RPO, that's just a bubble screen. RPO develops along with the flow of the play. It could be a run or a pass after the ball is snapped depending on which way the defense moves.

King Kong

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 17, 2017, 01:14:10 am
That's not an RPO, that's just a bubble screen

It can be both. Bubble Screen is just the type of route. If the slot WR is coverd they run it. If not they pass it out.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/sep/01/hogs-treasure-fake-offensive-system-dis/

010HogFan

Quote from: King Kong on September 17, 2017, 01:14:40 am
It can be both. Bubble Screen is just the type of route. If the slot WR is coverd they run it. If not they pass it out.

do we run it with playaction though? the type of RPO I'm thinking of is the fake handoff (zone read) type of RPO where the QB can hand it off or pull the ball back and pass it down the seam or something like that

King Kong

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 17, 2017, 01:18:48 am
do we run it with playaction though? the type of RPO I'm thinking of is the fake handoff (zone read) type of RPO where the QB can hand it off or pull the ball back and pass it down the seam or something like that

We don't us PA on it. However both the RB and WR are ready for the all if the QB gives it to them. The line is blocking running regardless.