Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bye week news is galling this season

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 16, 2017, 03:06:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Themes from Razorback bye week coverage this week:

* Coaches are studying that TCU game film extra hard. Apparently had a lot to learn.

* The staff has been leaking details of what has changed in practices this week. Basically it's "You know all those stupid decisions we made last Saturday? Not doing that anymore. You know all those good players we underused? We're gonna use them now."

How crazy does this make you, as a fan who thought Arkansas football had grown past this crude state?

Razorback players, I sincerely wish and hope the best for you always. May this team enjoy inspired leadership and execute a smart game plan with enthusiasm and precision.

Most fans are still groping with the meaning of what happened last weekend. Our offense was miserably incompetent, equaled only by a wholly unprepared set of special teams. Just one season before, with a new starting QB and patchwork Oline and new RBs, Arkansas put together an inspiring performance at Fort Worth. This time at home, the Hogs gained 267 yards in the whole game. Third down conversion rate was 4-14. Austin Allen completed 9-23 passes, about half as many as one would have expected last season. Everything that worked about the offense last season failed, with TCU on our campus.

TCU's rather ordinary-looking offense had 10 more third-down conversions, 11 more first downs than Arkansas managed. Staggering.

It would be great if the Horned Frogs proved to be serious leviathans, legitimate playoff contenders. Of course, watching them fall behind SMU in the first quarter today does not give much comfort.

I am nigh-certain that TCU is just as ordinary now as it was last season, and the Razorbacks badly regressed. It does not feel good to hear that the coaches are conceding, "Wow, did we ever miscalculate." If the Hogs jump up and become instantly formidable from here on out, two things will be true:

* The coaches will have proven they still have the attention and trust of the players.
* Fans will be happy about winning but mystified about what the TCU game happened the way it did.

The more likely thing is that the Razorbacks will remain on the track they have been on since last season -- progressing and regressing in erratic lurches, not always playing or pulling together, with Bret Bielema standing helplessly observing, seemingly powerless.

Arkansas could be the most improved team in America from game 2 to 3 as Bielema suggested, and still not be any good. That is how bad last weekend was. We still do not have an answer for "how did we get here?"

Some people have been engaged in a multiyear campaign to get rid of Bielema. The rest of us just want to see the Razorbacks play well, do their best, show they know what they are doing and that they really care.

It would be easier for me to continue rooting for this team if I understood how we got here. We deserve much better answers than we have been given. This is the point where Bielema and staff need to be open and honest. We can forgive mistakes if they are confessed.
[CENSORED]!

Tejano Jawg

Did our coaches not think the TCU game was important? Doesn't sound like it. The players didn't really play like it mattered. We didn't adjust like it mattered. Why did we collectively decide to mail that one in?

And yes, comparing last week to last year is astounding. Different team. A few games from now, I would LOVE to look back at what an anomaly the Frog loss was.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Biggus Piggus

SMU looks better than TCU so far. It's making me a little nauseated.
[CENSORED]!

Hogdomer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2017, 03:16:35 pm

I called this one.  Where do I get my medal?

Großer Kriegschwein

TCU wasn't all that explosive against us. They played a poor game against us (we played the worst game we've played since Toledo.
This is my non-signature signature.

Biggus Piggus

TCU's getting the game under control. Mustangs probably don't have enough depth to win this one. But SMU's already done more than we did against 'em.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

rtr

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will destroy TCU.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

rtr

Ponies score 22 pts in the first half on the great TCU defense.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

HoggyCat

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 16, 2017, 03:49:40 pm
TCU wasn't all that explosive against us. They played a poor game against us (we played the worst game we've played since Toledo.

Even worse than 56-3 against auburn??  Or 38-10 against LSU???  Short memories we have. (Or selective).
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2017, 03:16:35 pm
9 times out of 1,TCU is going to find a way to beat SMU. but TCU is not that good.Arkansas was really pitiful in that game.play like that the rest of the year,and we won't win another game.maybe coatal carolina and NM.State.that was the worst offense i have seen since year 1 of coach B.just sickening to watch.game was terrible.

bondhue

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 16, 2017, 03:12:27 pm
A few games from now, I would LOVE to look back at what an anomaly the Frog loss was.
It will be an anomaly or a harbinger.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Biggus Piggus

Changes in NCAA rules regarding preseason practice time and contact probably are much harder on pro-style offenses. These spread option passing schemes are so quick and easy to implement, they have an advantage in the first half of the season. It might not be practical for a college football team to run a pro-style offense anymore.

Or maybe our coaches just screwed up.
[CENSORED]!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 16, 2017, 04:03:10 pm
And there's why you try the hail Mary.

And it will work every time when all 7 defenders just watch the receiver jump up and catch it!  They didn't even try to knock it down!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

lakecityhog

Biggus, I would agree with you if this were our 1st or 2nd year running a Pro-Style. There has to be some carry over from year to year.
I will say that with a totally new batch of receivers maybe we should have picked 3 to 4 routes and practiced them til we could run them in our sleep. You know, be very good with a couple of things rather than trying to be mediocre at many things!

Pecos Hog

Quote from: rtr on September 16, 2017, 03:51:51 pm
Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will destroy TCU.

yep.   Gundy has the Pokes looking very strong.

PossumFan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 16, 2017, 03:12:27 pm
Did our coaches not think the TCU game was important? Doesn't sound like it. The players didn't really play like it mattered. We didn't adjust like it mattered. Why did we collectively decide to mail that one in?

Yeah, I heard that's what happened. First team meeting after the FA&M game, Bret told the players the TCU game wasn't important so they just kicked back and listened to reggae music all week instead of practicing. They considered just not even showing up on Saturday, but the fans would have left and concessions would miss out on a lot of Pepsi revenue. After the predictable loss, Bret said something inflammatory about the FG kicker to distract folks and keep them from asking questions to figure out the super-secret plan to mail it in. But somehow, you cracked the case. Good job.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PossumFan on September 16, 2017, 04:22:48 pm
Yeah, I heard that's what happened. First team meeting after the FA&M game, Bret told the players the TCU game wasn't important so they just kicked back and listened to reggae music all week instead of practicing. They considered just not even showing up on Saturday, but the fans would have left and concessions would miss out on a lot of Pepsi revenue. After the predictable loss, Bret said something inflammatory about the FG kicker to distract folks and keep them from asking questions to figure out the super-secret plan to mail it in. But somehow, you cracked the case. Good job.
Well, now I'm really pissed!   >:(

Biggus Piggus

I'd really like our head coach to show some fire again. He looked mystified in the postgame news conference last weekend. Not angry, not hurt, but confused. Knocked-in-the-head confused. It was the kind of thing a coach does when he knows the failures were coaching mistakes. Still, show some emotion.
[CENSORED]!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 16, 2017, 04:20:12 pm
yep.   Gundy has the Pokes looking very strong.

Gundy's strength must lie in his Sampson-like mullet.  He better not cut it before January!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rtr