Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our football team lacks grit.

Started by hogfanshan, September 15, 2017, 01:14:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfanshan

grit-
courage and resolve; strength of character.

"he displayed the true grit of the navy pilot"

synonyms:   courage, bravery, pluck, mettle, backbone, spirit, strength of character, strength of will, moral fiber, steel, nerve, fortitude, toughness, hardiness, resolve, resolution, determination, tenacity, perseverance, endurance; informal: guts, spunk
"just the grit we're looking for in a candidate"

I believe Paul Rhoads may have it. Hopefully it's contagious.

But overall, we've lacked it for a while. From the head coach on down. We're not tough. We don't have the will-power to persevere through games. I see no tenacity. The resolve of our team is questionable at best.

It's what makes good teams, great!, Makes mediocre teams good. Even bad teams become competitive when the have grit.

We don't have it. Not sure what it'll take to get it. But until we do, we will continue to see very average/below average performances by our football team.

Seebs

Grit - Otis Kirk. I am glad they lack Otis.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Calling All Hogs

The kind of coaching we have rhymes with grit.

RME

Vinny Gambini: What's this over here?
Grits Cook: You never heard of grits?
Vinny Gambini: Sure, I've heard of grits. I just never actually *seen* a grit before.

DeltaBoy

GRIT is some thing you have to learn or be raised with.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogdomer

Quote from: hogfanshan on September 15, 2017, 01:14:53 pm
grit-
courage and resolve; strength of character.

"he displayed the true grit of the navy pilot"

synonyms:   courage, bravery, pluck, mettle, backbone, spirit, strength of character, strength of will, moral fiber, steel, nerve, fortitude, toughness, hardiness, resolve, resolution, determination, tenacity, perseverance, endurance; informal: guts, spunk
"just the grit we're looking for in a candidate"

I believe Paul Rhoads may have it. Hopefully it's contagious.

But overall, we've lacked it for a while. From the head coach on down. We're not tough. We don't have the will-power to persevere through games. I see no tenacity. The resolve of our team is questionable at best.

It's what makes good teams, great!, Makes mediocre teams good. Even bad teams become competitive when the have grit.

We don't have it. Not sure what it'll take to get it. But until we do, we will continue to see very average/below average performances by our football team.

I agree and the weird thing is, we did have it in 2014 and even 2015.  We have regressed.

Danny J

How much grit would you have when struggling on the field you look over to your HC/Leader and he literally looks clueless.

Dr. Starcs

The OTR

How gritty can you be eating jelly sandwiches like it is kindergarten recess?

Danimal

I'm starting to think we have too many "cool uncle's" on staff -- We need a Wilson Mathews or 3.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 15, 2017, 04:20:59 pm
How gritty can you be eating jelly sandwiches like it is kindergarten recess?

Agreed. Jelly sandwiches are like halftime quaaludes.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2017, 02:06:13 pm

Disagree. Grit can be obtained via an unmarked, windowless, cargo van, a burlap sack, and maybe a guy named Vinny.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Seebs

That entire generation lacks grit. It only gets worse from here folks.

Now get off my lawn.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

farmhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2017, 02:06:13 pm
One of the things Brett said our team would have? Nothing, nothing he has said has worked so far.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HardCore

Teams take on the persona of their leadership.  Not much to go on with dopey, confused stare into space.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hawgon

I'm confused.  Is this where I'm supposed to bet on the darned bear?

bigeasyhog

Groups more often than not, take on the persona of their leader. So, when you're having those office days on the clock in flip flops and jamming reggae, hey, it's all good. Wonder if Saban has those kinda days at the office? Maybe he has casual Fridays and week offf Wednesdays? I think the SEC network should follow him and do a special.

mckinneyhog5

We're two games into the season..a psychological write-up isn't needed.  Good grief people man up because I'll tell you the team will. The only group that has given up are the bitchy fans.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

gawntrail

We couldn't win a bar fight in the chemistry lab. 

greasy_corner

Quote from: Seebs on September 15, 2017, 08:35:40 pm
That entire generation lacks grit. It only gets worse from here folks.

Now get off my lawn.

Bullsh!t.  It's our coach (from my generation) that lacks grit.   

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HardCore on September 15, 2017, 09:12:38 pm
Teams take on the persona of their leadership.  Not much to go on with dopey, confused stare into space.
I hope they don't take on your persona. You seem to like giving up early into the fight.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I don't know, BB looks like a grit eating summabitch.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

PonderinHog

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

bigeasyhog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 15, 2017, 09:32:19 pm
We're two games into the season..a psychological write-up isn't needed.  Good grief people man up because I'll tell you the team will. The only group that has given up are the bitchy fans.

Yeah, and if we were playing Louisville tomorrow night, our former coach would hang half a hundred on us. Carry on!

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 15, 2017, 09:32:19 pm

I hope so but hogs have had several games last 2 years where they gave up.  I don't think I have seen that before much.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 15, 2017, 10:11:12 pm
Yeah, and if we were playing Louisville tomorrow night, our former coach would hang half a hundred on us. Carry on!
Doubt it...did you forget Kentucky, Houston and Lsu from last year?

bigeasyhog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 15, 2017, 10:20:43 pm
Doubt it...did you forget Kentucky, Houston and Lsu from last year?

No, and I still haven't forgotten Auburn, and chocking on applesauce against a bad Mizzou and the embarrassment of the department store Bowl, and oh yeah, the road grading we got from LA State at home no less.

mckinneyhog5

Yeah that skull drugging LSU put on in the "no one cares about bowl" was embarrassing. I can't believe most of the Louisville fans were wanting t just ship after losing the last three games of the year.

bigeasyhog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 15, 2017, 10:32:27 pm
Yeah that skull drugging LSU put on in the "no one cares about bowl" was embarrassing. I can't believe most of the Louisville fans were wanting t just ship after losing the last three games of the year.

Good point,  but they also tied Clemson with a 7-1 conference record in the Atlantic Division last season, including a dominant win over Florida State, all in their third season in the ACC. We've gone 7-1 once in 25 seasons in our conference. They're also 2-0, and ranked 14th today. I'll watch them play on ABC tomorrow night in prime time. Don't know if they'll win, but they damn sure are in a much better place than we are and are nationally relevant. Something we haven't seriously seen since the same coach left us. I haven't checked their message boards, but I have a sneaking suspicion they got over that bowl loss, and are excited to watch their team tomorrow night, and think they actually have a real shot at beating Clemson, something hog fans haven't felt since said coach got dismissed.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 15, 2017, 05:44:44 pm
Agreed. Jelly sandwiches are like halftime quaaludes.
Surely they do not go in at halftime and lay down on nap pads and eat a few vanilla wafers with a glass of hawaiian punch.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rlamb

To witness grit, watch Razorback games in the 60's and 70's and you will see GRIT.
We had grit to spare back then. We even ran to the line of scrimmage from the
offensive huddle.

We had assistant coaches on the sidelines that a sleepy grizzly wouldn't want to
meet. Frank was always going crazy, in a good way. We have not had that type of
coaching  since the late 80's, and our record shows it.

Porkchop#1

We've got a big ole nice ship, but we don't have a working rudder.  So no sense of direction.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 16, 2017, 12:37:15 am
Surely they do not go in at halftime and lay down on nap pads and eat a few vanilla wafers with a glass of hawaiian punch.
CBB's halftime talk....Boy I am sleepy, you guys sleepy?