Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Thread

Started by bphi11ips, September 15, 2017, 09:46:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

From September 7, 2017:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=635416.0

OP by Wilson:

"As I watched replays of our 1981 game with Texas, when I was 18 years old, I started thinking about when I first became a Razorback fan. I was 14, and the 1977 season was when I really started following the Razorbacks religiously. There was no cynicism, no skepticism, no frustration. I didn't know or care how much money our head coach made. I didn't know or care about which players had committed or decommitted. What I did know was the name, number, position, height, weight, year of eligibility, and hometown of every player on our two-deep. What I did believe was that getting to go to a Razorback game was a special occasion, something to be looked forward to with great anticipation. That's why I ultimately went to UA - to be part of the Razorback experience. I could think of nothing greater.

My goal for this season is to get that mindset back. Doing so is dependent on one person - me.

Woo Pig!!"

Some good responses:

- by jkstock04:

"First thing that popped into my head when reading this...stay off the internet of anything Hog related. Simply read the sports section in the newspaper. That'll be the only way to accomplish this goal."

- by hawganatic:

"My goals for the season is the same as every season for the last few years: 

1.  Drink some good beer
2.  Spend time with some good friends
3.  Cheer during the game when we are doing good
4.  Complain to no end DURING the game when its not going good.
5.  When game is over, win or lose, continue to drink good beer and spend time with good friends.

In other words, don't take it so seriously that you can't enjoy it.  Think too many people think that the Razorbacks somehow have a direct affect on the quality of their life."

- by Vantage 8 Dude:

"My goal for this season and beyond is to cheer harder for my alma mater, to appreciate life every day even more than before, and to thank God for all my many blessings. Doing that should help offset the natural load of crap that life throws our way."

- by Hoggish1:

"Amen"

- by GirlHog:

"I love this! It brings back all the fresh anticipation of endless possibilities for the upcoming season. And you're so right....it's only dependent on ourselves. Go Hogs!!"

- by Pudgepork:

"This should be a sticky thread.   Thanks for reminding us of what's important wilsonhog."

Just a little perspective.  Don't let one loss to a good team change your goal for the season.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Fan1958

Back in those days there was no social media for the keyboard captains to be offended by everything from the color of the sky to wishing one a Merry Christmas.  No cable TV so we had 3 channels and got to see the Hogs on TV 2-3 times a year if we were lucky. The entitlement mentality was certainly present but not like it is today and there was no platform to beat one's chest and scream about how badly they were being treated.

Social media (in which I do not participate, other than an occasional post on this board and this board only) will ultimately be the downfall of a civilized society.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

I generally find that Hogville decreases my satisfaction and enjoyment of Razorback athletics. Not that it keeps me off of here though.

Uncle Remus

How would we fans know how to feel about the program if there weren't so many here to tell us how we should be feeling...it's a great thing!!

Fan1958

Quote from: Karma on September 15, 2017, 10:14:29 am
I generally find that Hogville decreases my satisfaction and enjoyment of Razorback athletics. Not that it keeps me off of here though.

A glutton for punishment. ;D
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

hobhog

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 15, 2017, 09:59:03 am
Back in those days there was no social media for the keyboard captains to be offended by everything from the color of the sky to wishing one a Merry Christmas.  No cable TV so we had 3 channels and got to see the Hogs on TV 2-3 times a year if we were lucky. The entitlement mentality was certainly present but not like it is today and there was no platform to beat one's chest and scream about how badly they were being treated.

Social media (in which I do not participate, other than an occasional post on this board and this board only) will ultimately be the downfall of a civilized society.

Winner. It certainly takes some of the fun out of the sports world.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 15, 2017, 10:26:39 am
A glutton for punishment. ;D

Aren't we all!

I don't see social media as da debil. It's just an extension of growth in technology. Different generations have different experiences.  As we grow older, we become layered in our experiences.

I started this thread primarily to show how quickly our attitudes can be skewed by one bad game.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.