Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What plays would you run in short yardage?

Started by codeHog, September 14, 2017, 05:56:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

codeHog

I don't know who does real well in the SEC when the line is outnumbered so running up the middle seems a no go for us especially but what would you like to see tried?

I would love to see some airborne running backs. Don't we have anyone that could just run and dive over our line and try and score?
Our RBs just run into the backs of the linemen in front of them

Not a coach but the entire world knows when we are going to run the ball n short yardage.  I would at least put our 3 best RBs on the field so the D had to at least think a bit about who might get the ball.  Right now the D usually just has to stop up the area in about an 8 foot area 4 feet either side of center and they got us time, after time, after time, etc.  Goes to the mental approach that we are just gonna run over you folks when we know the likelyhood of that is about 1 in 15 especially when they know its coming.  How about line up 3 RBs and flip it to the TE or the one WR who they won't expect to be involved.  Instead we always run the banty rooster play which is hey we gonna run it right there and you can't stop it.  Well you can't stop it at least every time, maybe only 14 of 15 times but we kicked your ass that 15th time.  We sumpin, ain't we.

Arkansas Fan

Put Cole Kelley's  big arse in there and have him just fall forward. I don't care if it starts getting obvious or not, he'll at least get two yards.

Porkchop#1

Seems like all of our red zone, running plays take forever to develop.  Run a dive or some type of quick hitter.

bphi11ips

Play action, TE post, fullback screen, bootleg, fade. All of the above. At some point the dive will then work.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Many years ago I was watching Air Force at Notre Dame. Air Force ball 2 and goal from the 2 or 3 yard line.  The Air Force center and qb were the only that moved, the rest of the offence stayed still. Touchdown Falcons.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

RebelliousHog

My issue is we see teams run like we do all the time and score. Often against us. We are not strong enough. Period
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Porkchop#1

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on September 14, 2017, 07:34:51 pm
Many years ago I was watching Air Force at Notre Dame. Air Force ball 2 and goal from the 2 or 3 yard line.  The Air Force center and qb were the only that moved, the rest of the offence stayed still. Touchdown Falcons.
Maybe we're trying a variation of that very play, not a lot of movement, and certainly nothing too quickly.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 14, 2017, 06:13:33 pm
Put Cole Kelley's  big arse in there and have him just fall forward. I don't care if it starts getting obvious or not, he'll at least get two yards.

This is what I want as well. Copy what OU did with the "Belldozer" a few years ago, or Tebow way back. From the shotgun he can get a head of steam up, and if there is no hole at, dump it over to a TE just across the middle behind the LB.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

factchecker

Motion T.J. in and run:

Hand the ball to Cantrell:

Run this with Cole Train Kelley:

On rare occasions run this:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cletus

Lol, I was thinking the pitch to a TE ala Tebow/Hernandez.
See, what had happened was........

Porkchop#1

Maybe we should just start with the plays we've been running and for sure rule all of them out

hawgon

Not sure.  I would ask Bert what he would do and then do something else.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 08:32:31 pm
Not sure.  I would ask Bert what he would do and then do something else.
I can't imagine that he actually knows any plays.  He'd prolly tell you to take that up with Dan Enos.

hogfan14

I normally hate the fade but I think it might be a pretty effective play with O'Grady on a smaller defender

factchecker

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 14, 2017, 08:37:08 pm
I can't imagine that he actually knows any plays.  He'd prolly tell you to take that up with Dan Enos.

Uh oh hawgon..... we got us a low post counter.  :)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

codeHog

is there any reason we could not just jump over the pile? I have seen others do it.

We got anybody that can jump?

The OTR

I would have a whole sleeve with gadget plays on it.  Flea flickers, reverses, fumblerooski, center sneak (a sandlot favorite), bootlegs...you name it I would run it. 

codeHog

you would think these coaches would have a bit of pride.

With this second half record I would be in an all out panic mode. Four different plays of all kinds ...at a high speed. NO FG

lasthog

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 08:29:11 pm
Motion T.J. in and run:

Hand the ball to Cantrell:

Run this with Cole Train Kelley:

On rare occasions run this:

He is upset that we didn't run those and is going to find out why.

LRHawg

We should be running play action to CJ or Martin. It worked really well with HH and Morgan.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: codeHog on September 14, 2017, 09:10:35 pm
is there any reason we could not just jump over the pile? I have seen others do it.

We got anybody that can jump?

Your O line has to keep from having any penetration and preferably get enough push to at least be leaning forward, and not stood up straight or turned sideways.  If we tightened up our splits and don't pull anybody, that can work, but too many times our RB is dodging a defender as soon as he gets the handoff.

PorkSoda

QB sneak from under center

QB sneak out of shotgun 4 wide

FB Dive

Play action TE Chip release toss to the flat.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Swestwill66

How about giving it to the fullback a couple times every half. And not just on the goal line!

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 14, 2017, 09:45:18 pm
How about giving it to the fullback a couple times every half. And not just on the goal line!

I agree with this as well, if you catch the defense in the right stunt or play, the FB can be thru and off before they know it.

HogShat

Been begging for the short yardage and goal line plays to be revamped for 2 or 3 years now. Spread the offense out in short yardage. 3 or 4 wide. They gotta send someone to cover and this takes people out of the box. It can be a read for the QB. Play called is basically a halfback toss to the wide side of the field. But if QB see's they are in blitz formation he audibles to a hot route for the slot receiver to run a quick slant just past the sticks. Or if he see's TE uncovered on the other side he fakes the toss to the HB one way then rolls naked the other way and hits the TE after he chips the DE.

On the 3rd down play before one of the missed field goals, I told AmityvilleHogger they needed to run the play they scored on to beat TCU last year. They almost did, just to the other side.  When AA rolled left there was a running lane if he had cut inside because everyone was keyed on who he was throwing to. All he had to do was cut it up.

DeltaBoy

Cut the line splits and FB lead off Tackle
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

There is absolutely no reason a jumbo package blast play shouldn't be able to net three yards in four tries.  No reason.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Piggfoot

I know the play not to run. On one goal line play all of our Olinemen blocked in like it was a PAT thus creating a pile of players. No one touched their outside rushers and they stopped our back rushing up the middle for lost yardage. Then the missed FG.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogcard1964

Pull a guard and use Williams as leading back and Whaley behind him.  Boom!!!  You could gain 2 yards by falling over.

GunnerHawg70

While I think you may be on to something, I'm gonna lean to nope; that's risk to injury if he gets popped in the pile.  But I do like it (thumbs up!).

31to6

Quote from: codeHog on September 14, 2017, 05:56:42 pm
I don't know who does real well in the SEC when the line is outnumbered so running up the middle seems a no go for us especially but what would you like to see tried?

I would love to see some airborne running backs. Don't we have anyone that could just run and dive over our line and try and score?
Our RBs just run into the backs of the linemen in front of them
Mix it up. Create some matchups. Predictability is the main problem.

Everyone knows we are going to:
- Test the middle (no gain)
- Test the middle (lose yards)
- Throw it to a TE that isn't open

hawgon

No coach would expect to run over people in today's NFL.  The players and coaches are too good for that.  You have to outscheme and/or out execute teams.  The SEC is the same way.  It has the best athletes and the best coaches not in the NFL.  You have to outscheme and out execute teams.  You simply cannot run over teams.

GunnerHawg70

My 4 plays inside of 5-10yds:

1. I-formation (Big package to sell the run) PA pass to TE on curl or flat (depends on LB and WR running off the corner)
2. Same formation - FB dive (option) RB ready to get pitch if FB gap is closed and run to outside space
3. Fake sweep weak-side bootleg to strong-side for 3 options: QB keep / WR on out or post / TE on curl and sit while defense moves with rolling QB
4. FG or punt if all that fails.

SemperHawg

It's not enough just to have creative plays to run when we get to the RZ.  Its the plays we run on the way there that determine the effectiveness of what we can do once we get there.  Right now the semblance of running game we do have is largely predicated on running between the guards.  This is understandable because Ragnow is the strength of the O-Line.  However it covers the fact that we are deficient at tackle, being deficient at tackle means we lose effectiveness running the outside zone and stretch plays in the running game.  These plays are the ones that allow us to set the defense up for all of this creative stuff you guys are talking about running in the RZ. 

Running between the guards gets markedly harder the closer to the EZ you get because it allows the defense to have to cover less space and thus move closer to the LOS.   

Take our one score last week, after getting a PI call.  David Williams (I think it was Williams) broke off a really nice run on stretch play to the left side, and then another 5 or yards that he bounced to the outside a couple of plays later. When we are able to run effectively to the sides of the field as well as up the middle it changes the eye discipline of the entire defense.  A play starts flowing one direction and the entire D naturally starts to flow that way as well because their instinct is to stop what they just got beat on.  You then set AA play action the stretch run and the naked boot on the back side and Nance is trotting wide open down the other side of the field. 

I know Coach B talks about running from the inside out, but its these outside runs and stretch plays that activate everything else we do well and weather it is we are not good enough at tackle, or we just don't have the right personnel to run them we can't get our mojo going and we stall in the RZ. 

I am not a coach but to me the glaring miss here is TJ Hammonds. A mix of him in the running game and passing game working the edges of the defense feels like a no brainer way to at least keep this from being such a glaring weakness. 

al_pigcino

I don't understand why we force a jumbo front.  Since we are classic and not creative, we end up running up the middle or off tackle.......where the majority of the players are.  I've always wanted to see Arkansas spread the field then run the ball.  4 wide in pistol/single back.  Make the other team have to play fundamental and tackle in space.  I'm tired of watching other teams make it hard on us, we need to create matchup problems with our talented backs. 

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 15, 2017, 09:06:31 am
I don't understand why we force a jumbo front.  Since we are classic and not creative, we end up running up the middle or off tackle.......where the majority of the players are.  I've always wanted to see Arkansas spread the field then run the ball.  4 wide in pistol/single back.  Make the other team have to play fundamental and tackle in space.  I'm tired of watching other teams make it hard on us, we need to create matchup problems with our talented backs.
I like it!!! I would definitely move QB out from under center into a shotgun/pistol formation.  +1

BigE_23

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is this so freakin difficult for CBB to see?? Go wildcat with this kid every time it's 3rd and 2 or less...he gets valuable experience and we have an extra weapon on the field.

You put any combination of Devwah/David W. and Chase Hayden/TJ Hammonds on the field with Cole in that situation, we'd keep drives moving at a 70% or higher conversion rate.

This is how Tim Tebow's career got started when Chris Leak was a Sr.

ADavisTheGOAT

Make it appear we're going to run it up the middle and just bootleg it out.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 15, 2017, 09:09:05 am
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is this so freakin difficult for CBB to see?? Go wildcat with this kid every time it's 3rd and 2 or less...he gets valuable experience and we have an extra weapon on the field.

You put any combination of Devwah/David W. and Chase Hayden/TJ Hammonds on the field with Cole in that situation, we'd keep drives moving at a 70% or higher conversion rate.

This is how Tim Tebow's career got started when Chris Leak was a Sr.

JACKPOT!!! now that's what I call some good football knowledge!!! I totally forgot about the duo of C. Leak / Tebow at Florida!!! We literally have the same team as that unit; hopefully the staff dug up those old films and took some notes!!! 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: The Chief on September 15, 2017, 08:31:47 am
There is absolutely no reason a jumbo package blast play shouldn't be able to net three yards in four tries.  No reason.

Amen
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

al_pigcino

Tim Tebow was an athlete coming out of high school.  He was stocky and benched 500+ lbs.  Cole Kelley is 6'7 pocket passer.  How often do you see Tom Brady run QB sneaks?

31to6

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 15, 2017, 02:31:33 pm
Tim Tebow was an athlete coming out of high school.  He was stocky and benched 500+ lbs.  Cole Kelley is 6'7 pocket passer.  How often do you see Tom Brady run QB sneaks?
As a HS Senior in his 3 games Cole had 5 rushing TDs.

He did not put up many rushing yards at all (like 30 or 40?), so this certainly implies that he can help in short yardage goal-to-go situations.

Nevermind.. site I found had incomplete stats. Seeing if I can find more.

According to this he had 8 rushing TDs as a SR: http://www.tchs.net/editoruploads/files/ATHLETICS/Football/Football%20Media%20Guide%202015.pdf

al_pigcino

Quote from: 31to6 on September 15, 2017, 02:34:27 pm
As a HS Senior in his 3 games Cole had 5 rushing TDs.

He did not put up many rushing yards at all (like 30 or 40?), so this certainly implies that he can help in short yardage goal-to-go situations.

Nevermind.. site I found had incomplete stats. Seeing if I can find more.

According to this he had 8 rushing TDs as a SR: http://www.tchs.net/editoruploads/files/ATHLETICS/Football/Football%20Media%20Guide%202015.pdf
So you're comparing CK's athleticism to Tebow's to make your point?  Two different athletes.  Just because a dude is big doesn't make him a great candidate to always run a QB sneak.