Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Struggle

Started by BigE_23, September 14, 2017, 08:37:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigE_23

After watching how inept the offensive play-calling was this past weekend, I couldn't help but think, "something is wrong with Dan Enos!"

This is Dan's third year at Arkansas. In his previous years, he's never shown a tendency to keep doing the same things over and over again without making some changes. He has earned the reputation of being a creative play-caller and making great mid-game adjustments. That is the opposite of what we saw this past weekend against TCU. What we witnessed was stubborn, stiff necked play-calling with little to no creativity. Outside of the PA bootleg in the first quarter, there was ZERO creativity in our play calling!

It reminded me of an article that I saw a few years ago about Bert and one of his previous OC's - http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-offense-was-power-struggle-for-matt-canada-bret/article_d7184300-5151-11e2-86ec-001a4bcf887a.html

Do you think it's possible that:
a. ) Bret is jealous of the accolades that Dan has been getting as a play-caller and is micromanaging Enos?

or

b.) Bret is feeling the pressure to win more games and has started meddling in play-calling?

One thing is certain - something has changed in our offensive play-calling. If it's not Bret's meddling, how else would you explain it given Bret's history of having a stubborn personality and larger than himself ego?

PorkRinds

I see you forgot to watch last season, especially in the second half of games.

BigE_23

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 14, 2017, 08:40:44 am
I see you forgot to watch last season, especially in the second half of games.

Is it possible that a 'power struggle' started then? Think about it before you just dismiss it.

BallHog1

My guess would be the coaches knowledge of which players are capable of what limits what they can do and hence, limits the play calls available...but I'm sure that's too simple, has to be the head coach meddling......

BigE_23

Quote from: BallHog1 on September 14, 2017, 08:42:50 am
My guess would be the coaches knowledge of which players are capable of what limits what they can do and hence, limits the play calls available...but I'm sure that's too simple, has to be the head coach meddling......

That's BS. The coach's job is to put players in a position to win, not hold them back because he thinks "they can't handle it". That's a surefire way to be unemployed.

Explain why he made a creative play-call in the 1st quarter, and we never saw any misdirection again for the rest of the game?

Dan has demonstrated in previous seasons a pension for setting plays up. He'll run a few plays that setup a specific call. For whatever reason, that kind of thought and planning has recently disappeared in the past few games.

What I think is that the entire program is imploding, and certain things are symptomatic. Bret has a track-record...he's never been able to keep assistant coaches for long and there have been rumblings of meddling and micromanagement.

10thPlanet

September 14, 2017, 08:48:37 am #5 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:02:02 am by 10thPlanet
They know their personnel and capabilities better than anyone. Now their disparity to judge and evaluate can cause contention.

MJ2

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 14, 2017, 08:37:49 am
After watching how inept the offensive play-calling was this past weekend, I couldn't help but think, "something is wrong with Dan Enos!"

This is Dan's third year at Arkansas. In his previous years, he's never shown a tendency to keep doing the same things over and over again without making some changes. He has earned the reputation of being a creative play-caller and making great mid-game adjustments. That is the opposite of what we saw this past weekend against TCU. What we witnessed was stubborn, stiff necked play-calling with little to no creativity. Outside of the PA bootleg in the first quarter, there was ZERO creativity in our play calling!

It reminded me of an article that I saw a few years ago about Bert and one of his previous OC's - http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-offense-was-power-struggle-for-matt-canada-bret/article_d7184300-5151-11e2-86ec-001a4bcf887a.html

a. ) Bret is jealous of the accolades that Dan has been getting as a play-caller and is micromanaging Enos?

or

b.) Bret is feeling the pressure to win more games and has started meddling in play-calling?

One thing is certain - something has changed in our offensive play-calling. If it's not Bret's meddling, how else would you explain it given Bret's history of having a stubborn personality and larger than himself ego?

CBB is trying to speed up the buyout - and it's working.

hawganatic

BB has a lot of faults as a head coach, but I don't think jealousy and the desire to micro-manage are two of them.

Hog Fan...DOH!

DeltaBoy

Enos been lost the past year and a half!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Its a very interesting read. Matt Canada confirmed that he confronted bielema but down plays the significance of the conversation. What cant be downplayed is the fact that Wisconsins offense looked completely different the next week as they hung 70 on Nebraska
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Malvin

QuoteThat's BS. The coach's job is to put players in a position to win, not hold them back because he thinks "they can't handle it". That's a surefire way to be unemployed.

Tell that to the kicker....

3kgthog

I've said it before. His assistant turnover at UW wasn't due to money. We pay more and turnover is still relatively high. The common denominator? Bret Arnold Bielema

Ex-Trumpet

I don't think CBB is micromanaging Enos.  He seemed surprised when he was told CH barely played.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Let's see, "HV says all he does is stand there, looking lost and never talking to anyone", now it's, "He's calling plays and holding everyone back". Which one is it? I was very disappointed in the offense on Saturday, it had no flow to it, I don't know if it's Enos or Bielema, but it has to get back soon.

hogcard1964

No, maybe Enos just isn't that good afterall?  Maybe the rest of the league is on to him?

...and I liked him until the Auburn game last October.  To be honest, our offense has pretty much been mediocre to bad since then.  I think we scored big on Mississippi St, but that's really been about it.

Ironhawg

Quote from: hawganatic on September 14, 2017, 08:58:09 am
BB has a lot of faults as a head coach, but I don't think jealousy and the desire to micro-manage are two of them.

I agree with you about the jealousy thing.  I don't necessarily agree about the micromanaging.  It sure seems like we have had a lot of assistants come and go since Bielema has been here. Some of that turnover, unfortunately, has been due to poor hires by Bielema.  If Bielema stays and Enos makes a sudden exit after this season does that indicate the micromanagement speculation is true?

codeHog

1-3 in your last four games so no coach should act surprised that fans are POed

TCU had big guys running full speed and they just nailed our inside LBs. That is why they were running over us (along with the DL not getting off blocks)

I don't think the OL is as bad as people say. For one, TCU looked good and two, our backs don't follow the blocks and cut back into the arms of the enemy.

Oh and Allen. Fails to step up into the pocket and just stares at our guys who can not get open

Tiredofhogssucking

I just mentioned this in another thread, but for whatever reason Bielema has players that are more finesse than power.  Maybe it's because high schools emphasize more finesse offensive schemes.  We're trying to run a power offense with players used to more finesse style and we haven't been successful inside the red zone (or even the 5 yard line).  We continue to squander red zone visits and come away with zero points. 

This isn't anything new, we've seen this happen in games as far back as I can remember!  Toledo, etc.  I cannot understand why we keep trying the same offensive plays inside the red zone.  Where's the TE or slot receiver "rub routes".  Why not spread the field and then let a RB find a crease in the defense.  Why try and block a hole open in the defense....when you can create a hole in the defense with spreading the field and then letting a RB or other skill position make a play. 

island hog

I really like Allen and have expected him to step up as a senior ... unfortunately, it seems that our team takes on his demeanor when things don't go right.  The most important thing we missed last year appeared to be player leadership on the field and it has continued so far this year.  That is the one ingredient that will improve the team's play on game day, as much as anything else. 

BigE_23

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 14, 2017, 09:59:17 am
I agree with you about the jealousy thing.  I don't necessarily agree about the micromanaging.  It sure seems like we have had a lot of assistants come and go since Bielema has been here. Some of that turnover, unfortunately, has been due to poor hires by Bielema.  If Bielema stays and Enos makes a sudden exit after this season does that indicate the micromanagement speculation is true?

This is my point...where there's smoke there's fire. The guy has a trend of not being able to keep assistant coaches, and has a history of meddling in offensive play-calling.

I was at the game the linked article references and I was sitting with Wisconsin fans. Funny thing is, we were hearing Pelini's name mentioned with the Arkansas job and that is who I was watching, not Bert!

Anyway, the fans kept saying all game long, "where has this been all year?"

hogfan14

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 14, 2017, 09:53:32 am
No, maybe Enos just isn't that good afterall?  Maybe the rest of the league is on to him?

...and I liked him until the Auburn game last October.  To be honest, our offense has pretty much been mediocre to bad since then.  I think we scored big on Mississippi St, but that's really been about it.

Like Robb Smith, it seems like a lot of coordinators are usually really solid until after around 2 years when teams have a lot of film on them

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: hawganatic on September 14, 2017, 08:58:09 am

spot on

BigE_23

Quote from: hogfan14 on September 14, 2017, 10:45:11 am
Like Robb Smith, it seems like a lot of coordinators are usually really solid until after around 2 years when teams have a lot of film on them

Yet other programs want to hire them when they leave Arkansas, i.e. LSU, Georgia, Minnesota, etc.

Does that seem curious to you?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 14, 2017, 09:44:41 am
I don't think CBB is micromanaging Enos.  He seemed surprised when he was told CH barely played.

He and Enos both seemed to throw the RB coach under the bus for him not playing. It is if the head coach and OC were not even watching the game huh ?

bondhue

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 14, 2017, 08:47:55 am
What I think is that the entire program is imploding, and certain things are symptomatic.
I have that same thought.  I hope I am very wrong.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

IronHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 14, 2017, 08:37:49 am

or

Remember when Nutt would get stressed and go all stretch play?

Same thing.  Play not to lose coaches go super conservative under stress......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

AugustaHog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 14, 2017, 11:30:02 am
He and Enos both seemed to throw the RB coach under the bus for him not playing. It is if the head coach and OC were not even watching the game huh ?
If anything, they gave Whaley too much run in the game.  Williams was the only guy moving the ball.  I guess he could've gotten some of Devwah's carries, but Williams earned every play he got.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 14, 2017, 11:30:02 am

Well, it's my understanding at most schools the position coach and the coordinator take care of the rotation. Now, if the HC calls his own plays or defense, that would be different.

Switchback

Quote from: AugustaHog on September 14, 2017, 12:28:40 pm
If anything, they gave Whaley too much run in the game.  Williams was the only guy moving the ball.  I guess he could've gotten some of Devwah's carries, but Williams earned every play he got.

I agree.  Williams had a per carry average of 6.5 with 10 carries and Whaley was below 3 with 11 carries.  I'm guessing TCU keyed on our personnel and run blitzed with Whaley and expected pass when Williams was in the game.  I haven't rewatched the game so I can't confirm but TCU seemed extremely prepared. Personnel with the TE may have been telling as well.

Hog Fan...DOH!

The O had FIVE 3 and outs... and only about 50 snaps total.  There were what, 3 dropped passes? 

What exactly did you expect to see out there?

And also... isn't it possible that the O just played like crap?  Is it really that complex?

IronHog

Quote from: Switchback on September 14, 2017, 01:14:20 pm
I agree.  Williams had a per carry average of 6.5 with 10 carries and Whaley was below 3 with 11 carries.  I'm guessing TCU keyed on our personnel and run blitzed with Whaley and expected pass when Williams was in the game.  I haven't rewatched the game so I can't confirm but TCU seemed extremely prepared. Personnel with the TE may have been telling as well.

Williams just got north and ran over people
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Switchback on September 14, 2017, 01:14:20 pm

Patterson said something very close to this post game. He said that they call plays defensively like other teams do on offense. The calls are made based on personnel groupings along with formations being used by the offense to boot.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 14, 2017, 01:37:45 pm
Patterson said something very close to this post game. He said that they call plays defensively like other teams do on offense. The calls are made based on personnel groupings along with formations being used by the offense to boot.

He played his safeties in the box and forced Arkansas to throw over the middle.  Allen and the WRs could not do it.  Scientific Rocketry.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 14, 2017, 01:50:17 pm
He played his safeties in the box and forced Arkansas to throw over the middle.  Allen and the WRs could not do it.  Scientific Rocketry.

So Patterson lied?

Switchback

A few times on first down we lined up in the I formation or 1 back set with Whaley and they crashed in a db for a loss.  We never answered that play.  It put us behind the chains and their pass coverage was excellent on our rookie Wr's.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Switchback on September 14, 2017, 02:00:59 pm
A few times on first down we lined up in the I formation or 1 back set with Whaley and they crashed in a db for a loss.  We never answered that play.  It put us behind the chains and their pass coverage was excellent on our rookie Wr's.

Instead of conspiracy theories, this is more of the reason we haven't looked good offensively. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 14, 2017, 01:55:09 pm
So Patterson lied?

So Patterson didn't play his safeties close to the LOS?

Switchback

Our OL could've handled their DL and close safeties but he blitzed at the right times based off of our tendencies.  The delayed running plays that got stuffed, trying to pass when everyone knew we were going to pass put too much pressure on inexperienced skill players, RB, TE, WR. 

Hell, we should've just done a fullback dive and gained 3 yards until we started dictating to them what we were going to do.

Tusks

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 14, 2017, 02:02:20 pm
Instead of conspiracy theories, this is more of the reason we haven't looked good offensively. 

Funny OU went in to the horseshoe with 2 FR WR's and a FR TE and they made plays. 
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ricepig

Quote from: Switchback on September 14, 2017, 02:00:59 pm

Yep, I was screaming to pull the ball and hit a TE or WR on a streak.

Tusks

What caught my attention in the article was that wiskey had a record setting offensive season and lost 7 starters and BB wanted to keep everything the same and had the offense doing things it couldn't do.

sounds very familiar
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tusked on September 14, 2017, 02:24:29 pm
Funny OU went in to the horseshoe with 2 FR WR's and a FR TE and they made plays.

Their leading receivers were two seniors - a FB and WR.  Yes the Fr contributed. 

Our receivers and qb obviously aren't meshing well yet. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lakecityhog

Guys, Enos and the rest of the staff prepare a GAME PLAN during the week of the game. Enos has a play selection printed and probably laminated for each game. It is during this time that BB has a great influence over the play calling. He doesn't need to be talking to Enos on the sidelines.

The same thing goes for the defense and Smith took all the heat for BB's influence on how the defense was called.

It's just like the kicking game, BB has stated a couple of times that his preference is to kick to a corner down inside the 5 yard line. He thinks that if done properly you should have a good chance to keep the offense pinned inside the 20. I guess that he a terrible memory, since we hardly ever manage to NOT give up a long return.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 14, 2017, 02:36:55 pm
Guys, Enos and the rest of the staff prepare a GAME PLAN during the week of the game. Enos has a play selection printed and probably laminated for each game. It is during this time that BB has a great influence over the play calling. He doesn't need to be talking to Enos on the sidelines.

The same thing goes for the defense and Smith took all the heat for BB's influence on how the defense was called.

It's just like the kicking game, BB has stated a couple of times that his preference is to kick to a corner down inside the 5 yard line. He thinks that if done properly you should have a good chance to keep the offense pinned inside the 20. I guess that he a terrible memory, since we hardly ever manage to NOT give up a long return.

He is right about the kick off.  Perfect kick to do as he described.  Have to be able to cover it though and Turpin was an exception to the rule.  Don't kick to him. 

lakecityhog

Do you remember the TCU game last year? We tied the game with just a little time left and sure enough we try that same kick and Turpin returned it 60 yards and should have beat us. Skipper saved us by blocking the FG attempt!

It MIGHT be a good strategy IF your team is well coached enough to actually cover a kick and our team isn't!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 14, 2017, 02:58:56 pm
Do you remember the TCU game last year? We tied the game with just a little time left and sure enough we try that same kick and Turpin returned it 60 yards and should have beat us. Skipper saved us by blocking the FG attempt!

It MIGHT be a good strategy IF your team is well coached enough to actually cover a kick and our team isn't!

There is no perfect kick to a returner like Turpin.  Don't kick to him. 

longtimeHogfan

Enos calls the offensive plays.  But if another coach is rotating running backs and another coach is rotating tight ends and still another coach is rotating receivers...  am I the only one that can see a problem developing here? 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 14, 2017, 04:14:24 pm
There is no perfect kick to a returner like Turpin.  Don't kick to him. 

A kick outta the back of the endzone has never had a long return!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hobhog

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 14, 2017, 09:40:37 am
I've said it before. His assistant turnover at UW wasn't due to money. We pay more and turnover is still relatively high. The common denominator? Bret Arnold Bielema

Can you compare the turnover here to every other program in the country? I think you will find it very similar.

If you read Enos comments I think there is little doubt he is still in control of the offense. This thread is conjecture from a disgruntled poster with an agenda.