Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for everyone...

Started by island hog, September 12, 2017, 01:08:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

island hog

As much as I've tried to stay above the emotional fray after the TCU loss, the vitriol I've seen on this board has me asking this question of Hogville....as I asked a poster in another thread:

Would you prefer that the Hogs put things back together for a decent year at 8-5, with a bowl win or would you prefer we fail and finish with a 5-7 record?

WilsonHog

Quote from: island hog on September 12, 2017, 01:08:15 pm
As much as I've tried to stay above the emotional fray after the TCU loss, the vitriol I've seen on this board has me asking this question of Hogville....as I asked a poster in another thread:

Would you prefer that the Hogs put things back together for a decent year at 8-5, with a bowl win or would you prefer we fail and finish with a 5-7 record?

8-5, of course.

SemperFi

Win. If that means CBB stays then so be it, just win.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Al Boarland

Apparently 8-5 would be a great year. Seems like the expectations should be higher considering the roster is at the high point with what CBB and Co. can do on the recruiting trial.

Hoggish1

If this season can be made to be better than last year, that's what I want.

Hog-Corleone

Your question is loaded to try and get people, good people, good hog fans, to admit that they want this team to lose.   And that sir, is just not the case.  I think you need to forget about the win/loss record and focus on what most of us want, and have not seen since he was hired:

I would prefer that we put a good product on the field, one we can be proud of regardless of the outcome of a game or season.  You know, one that doesn't make us look like the laughing stock of the SEC NCAA.  I don't mind losing, but I do not like someone telling me that they are going to work hard all off-season to correct the issues from last year, and then not do it.  Now we are being sold this bill of goods that "this is a process", and it will all get better.  If I've heard it once on the local talk shows, I've heard a hundred times over the last two days.  Well, i have an idea, start the effing process in January instead of September. 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on September 12, 2017, 01:15:13 pm
Your question is loaded to try and get people, good people, good hog fans, to admit that they want this team to lose.   And that sir, is just not the case.  I think you need to forget about the win/loss record and focus on what most of us want, and have not seen since he was hired:

I would prefer that we put a good product on the field, one we can be proud of regardless of the outcome of a game or season.  You know, one that doesn't make us look like the laughing stock of the SEC NCAA.  I don't mind losing, but I do not like someone telling me that they are going to work hard all off-season to correct the issues from last year, and then not do it.  Now we are being sold this bill of goods that "this is a process", and it will all get better.  If I've heard it once on the local talk shows, I've heard a hundred times over the last two days.  Well, i have an idea, start the effing process in January instead of September. 

All good points and ring with truths.  But just for the sake of saying it...we don't really know what we have this year.  We know we don't have a FG kicker.  That's on the staff for not sorting out.  The defense for the better part of 3 quarters did look vastly improved.  I do think they were wore down by the inefficiency of our offense.  Collectively the fan base is skeptical of TCU's talent level but maybe we are wrong.  They might end up a playoff team this year...my gut says they won't...but it's possible. 

We may fair better than we anticipate against conference foes.  Not all is lost, only one game.

Gonzo

Considering in your scenario the alternatives are 7-5 regular season vs 5-7, there's not a ton of difference in the two imo. However, as a lifelong Hog fan I would absolutely prefer 8-5 over 5-7, and I think the vast majority would. I've never actually desired the Hogs lose for any reason. The closest I have ever come was HN's last game against LSU, and only in the sense that when my mom called me after the game and asked me what I thought, I told her my only fear was it might be enough for him to keep his job, even if I was happy as a clam with the win.

As for the "fun" on the board, come on in, the water's fine, ain't much of anything on here that really matters.

Go Hogs!

RME

I know there's an ulterior motive to this post, but when it boils down to it it's a pretty stupid question:

Do you want more wins or fewer wins?

Gee, let me think.

acey33

I believe that's what we hoped for last year, but we know how that turned out :puke: :puke: :puke:

and now in year 5 we have a team that will finish worst :puke: :puke: :puke:

LRHawg

I don't care who the coach is when we win, just win baby.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 01:23:33 pm
I know there's an ulterior motive to this post, but when it boils down to it it's a pretty stupid question:

Do you want more wins or fewer wins?

Gee, let me think.

In the OP's defense, had this question been raised Saturday, the majority here would have voted "to hell with any wins, just burn program to ground and start over".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

PonderinHog

I like Bielema and want him to succeed at Arkansas, but I am tired of the team being embarrassed on the field.   I can handle losing close, hard fought contests,  but I'm tired of of second half collapses and outright blow-outs.

island hog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on September 12, 2017, 01:39:29 pm
In the OP's defense, had this question been raised Saturday, the majority here would have voted "to hell with any wins, just burn program to ground and start over".
No ulterior motive ... I certainly want the Hogs to win every game.  Our fans have every right to feel the way they want about the team, coaches, players, expectations, etc. and this question was one that I feel helps give a less emotional based view of where Hogville posters stand. 

Torqued pork

Kim Jong Un could be our coach and I still couldn't pull against the Hogs. It isn't in me.

al_pigcino

What were the coaches' expectation from around the league?  What were the national writers' expectations on final record?

Same questions for last year and what were the final results compared to that?

Just because fans expected 8-9 wins doesn't mean that's what the rest of the nation expected.  If we were picked to win 6, and CBB wins 7, is he a loser?  To the rest of the nation it will end up like the firing of Pelini at Nebraska. 

DeltaBoy

8-5 or better !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 12, 2017, 01:43:36 pm
I like Bielema and want him to succeed at Arkansas, but I am tired of the team being embarrassed on the field.   I can handle losing close, hard fought contests,  but I'm tired of of second half collapses and outright blow-outs.

I agree with this 100%.  I don't like losing but I can take a close loss if we executed and played hard and at least looked like we knew what we were doing.  I like Bielema and I think he is a good fit for Arkansas from a personality standpoint and how he runs the program, but I am finally beyond expecting him to field a consistently competent football team.  Either he can't do it, or he just can't do it here.  I'm not sure which, and I can't put my finger on why.   

DLUXHOG

11-1 baby! (the eternal optimist)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PonderinHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 12, 2017, 01:59:18 pm
I agree with this 100%.  I don't like losing but I can take a close loss if we executed and played hard and at least looked like we knew what we were doing.  I like Bielema and I think he is a good fit for Arkansas from a personality standpoint and how he runs the program, but I am finally beyond expecting him to field a consistently competent football team.  Either he can't do it, or he just can't do it here.  I'm not sure which, and I can't put my finger on why.   
Unfortunately, it's a mixture of Jimmies and Joes and X's and O's.

The Hawg Marshal

I never want the Hogs to lose. I wanted them to win when Nutt was here and I'll want them to win when the next guy gets here(whenever that is). Besides 5-7 will not get Bret fired. The buyout keeps him safe. So people can hope for losses or for Leach or Gundy or for Jerry to come pay the buyout so we can be rid of the coach. None of it is going to happen. People are wasting their time on any of the aforementioned subjects.

PossumFan

Eight wins or better this year, 10 wins next year, the reasonable wing of the Hog fan base gets fully back behind CBB, he gets a nice extension, continues to win eight to (dare I say it?) 13 games per year, finishes his career here, makes all the appropriate halls of fame. That's my ideal scenario. Not a prediction.

jkstock04

8-5. I'm going to a couple of away games this year and I really don't want that to suck.

If we lose to A&M I'm afraid the wheels REALLY come off. That's a must win game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Razor1997

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 12, 2017, 01:13:30 pm
Apparently 8-5 would be a great year.

I can't imagine any way we beat Bama, LSU, or Auburn this year, so 8-5 implies going 7-1 in the rest of the games.

AirWarren

8-5.

The real Hogules

Yeah, I'm not complaining because CBB is our head coach. I'm complaining because CBB is our head coach and his team is not producing! Count me among the 8-5 group.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Dirty

8-5 and an inappropriate relationship!

Letsroll1200

8-5! Hopefully Bret can turn this thing around.

trippigs

Porkette

8-5 of course!

That doesn't actually seem impossible, since Bielema's one 8-win season here happened the year of the Toledo and Texas Tech debacles. Sadly, it doesn't feel very likely right now either.
GO HOGS GO!

HogFoo

I have friends that when things go bad with a coach they actually hope the Hogs lose so that a change can be made sooner.  Not me!  I will never ever root for the Hogs to lose a game so that we can change coaches!  Ever!   So, if winning 8+ games mean Bielema has a stay of execution then so be it. Maybe he can dump the OLine coach and we can get someone better.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

RazorbackAlways

We all want to win, but if we go anything less than 9-3, CBB must go.

gchamblee

I simply can't think of any situation where I would want to lose.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 12, 2017, 02:02:24 pm

I know that you have to recruit at an elite level to be able to compete for a national title, but we have recruited well enough to be able to field a competent team, and I realize that is a low bar to set. I would be satisfied if every time we took the field the general consensus was "hey this is a scary team, they may not always win but they are always a tough out".  Again I can live with losing if the effort and execution are there. If we look like we know what we are doing and are well prepared and get beat because of talent that is acceptable to me to a degree, but that isn't where we are.  I don't think losing is OK, but I accept the fact that we aren't going to go undefeated all the time, I am just getting sick of looking so bad while we lose in the Bielema era   

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 12, 2017, 04:40:31 pm
I know that you have to recruit at an elite level to be able to compete for a national title, but we have recruited well enough to be able to field a competent team, and I realize that is a low bar to set. I would be satisfied if every time we took the field the general consensus was "hey this is a scary team, they may not always win but they are always a tough out".  Again I can live with losing if the effort and execution are there. If we look like we know what we are doing and are well prepared and get beat because of talent that is acceptable to me to a degree, but that isn't where we are.  I don't think losing is OK, but I accept the fact that we aren't going to go undefeated all the time, I am just getting sick of looking so bad while we lose in the Bielema era   

I guess what I am saying is it looks like we are mismanaging the jimmies and joes we do get, and that the X's and O's are questionable at best.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 12, 2017, 02:02:24 pm

True dat. The Jimmies and Joes always seem to need another year or two to figure out the Xs and Os.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hog N Bama

George S. Pigton

win of course but, year 3 of Petrino was a Sugar Bowl, year 5 of CBB and its looking worse than last year.  Even giving him a break for the
s*&t show he received from John L doesn't add up.  This O-line has gotten worse in the past 3 years and there is no improvement at all in
special teams.  no play makers, it's Jimmies and Joes and this staff can not find the kids to make it go.  Next year will see a new QB so once
again we will be starting over. 

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

hawgmasta

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 12, 2017, 01:50:16 pm
Kim Jong Un could be our coach and I still couldn't pull against the Hogs. It isn't in me.

I bet the players would have a little more discipline with those sloppy tackles and missed FG's.

Considering it would be death or a twenty year labor camp of up downs.

Martygit

If you are happy with 8 - 5, why did you want HDN gone????????
RIP OTR, REV

swineology

DLUXHOG

Quote from: swineology on September 12, 2017, 08:10:26 pm
All real Hog fans answer 8-5

8-5

Except for,  the super, mentally healthy, uber Hog fans who say "11-1 baby"!  WPS!!!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)