Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long admits to not even trying...

Started by Malvin, September 12, 2017, 10:21:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Malvin

http://hitthatline.com/long-in-lr-arkansas-not-win-at-all-cost-program/

Quote"Yes, winning is important," he said. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.

"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered.

"Yes, we want to win. Yes, it's a priority. Yes, it eats us up from the inside that we don't win more."

lefty08

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 12, 2017, 10:23:31 am
The opponents are laughing.

So are most fans, they are just laughing at the win at all cost retards
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 10:25:33 am
So are most fans, they are just laughing at the win at all cost retards

Meh. An 8-win cap will not sustain the butts in the seats needed to maintain revenue.
This is my non-signature signature.

Kevin

they need to stop sending out emails asking for money.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgon

Statements like these are actually a sure sign that he is feeling some heat and might be in a bit of trouble.  He is creating a false dichotomy and narrative.  You're either satisfied with the job Jeff Long is doing, or you're a win at all costs mercenary.  There is no in between.  As such he is insulating himself from being pushed out because no one in the administration wants to be seen being in favor of sleeze.

Jeff Long is setting himself up as a martyr for integrity in college athletics.

Malvin

If they want to turn Arkansas into Vanderbilt where we have a good season once every 10 years then fine, but why are they asking for so much money?  What's the point of donating thousands of dollars for the right to buy a ticket to watch a game where the University doesn't even support being competitive in the conference?  Why are we in the SEC? 

I don't think any of us want to be in the Ole Miss situation but football is a game of inches and a win at all costs type of sport.  If you aren't willing to get near the thin line then you will never be able to win a conference championship much less a national championship.  Their mind set is very confusing to me.

This does explain though the lack of tenacity over the past few years.  We aren't setup to win anything now or in the future.

Kevin

he just said he does not care about the fans
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

LRHawg

Quote from: hawgon on September 12, 2017, 10:32:13 am

Yep. I have to give him credit, he's a snake, but he's a smart snake. Would make an awesome bureaucrat.

ATU HOG

What programs are a "win at all cost" program?

Wildhog

Quote from: ATU HOG on September 12, 2017, 10:37:16 am

Everyone in the SEC except for us and maaaaybe Vandy.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

There is no dichotomy here.  A win at all costs school does not care much about academics and behavior.  A win, but not at all costs, school cares about winning, but won't cheat or cut corners unethically to win.  Neither ignores winning.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

ATU HOG

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 10:37:46 am
I mean realistically...
Ole Miss
Baylor

hoghearted

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 12, 2017, 10:37:57 am
There is no dichotomy here.  A win at all costs school does not care much about academics and behavior.  A win, but not at all costs, school cares about winning, but won't cheat or cut corners unethically to win.  Neither ignores winning.

He doesn't care about winning. He cares about money. Period.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

sickboy

Quote from: Malvin on September 12, 2017, 10:21:38 am
http://hitthatline.com/long-in-lr-arkansas-not-win-at-all-cost-program/

If you guys and gals are the type to bitch about college players wanting to get paid and make the argument that they're "student" athletes... then you shouldn't be upset by what Long is saying. You can't have your cake and eat it too. At the end of the day, the kids are students and there are barometers for success within NCAA programs and institutions of higher learning that take academics into account. If you got a problem with that, then you've either got to go watch the NFL or be rooting for college football teams to ditch academics and become semi-pro teams.

PorkRinds

How this equates to not even trying is beyond me. Some of you are insane.

Malvin

QuoteThere is no dichotomy here.  A win at all costs school does not care much about academics and behavior.  A win, but not at all costs, school cares about winning, but won't cheat or cut corners unethically to win.  Neither ignores winning.

Don't kid yourself here, every school in the SEC cheats and cuts corners.. some are better at it than others.  Some are so desperate that they get really stupid like Ole Miss and they go to far.  It's about walking a line, you don't put together a program like Alabama without cutting a few corners.

ThisTeetsTaken

If winning isn't our #1 goal why are we paying so much for our coach? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

RME

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 12, 2017, 10:41:38 am
How this equates to not even trying is beyond me. Some of you are insane.

Yep.

Apparently, "Yes, we want to win. Yes, it's a priority. Yes, it eats us up from the inside that we don't win more." = "I admit, we aren't trying."

Pretty incredible how some of these guys lack basic reading comprehension skills.

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 12, 2017, 10:37:57 am
I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this.

Ole Miss decided to cheat to "win at all costs." Long is saying Arkansas is not going to do that.

Malvin

QuoteIf winning isn't our #1 goal why are we paying so much for our coach?

Bielema has the perfect job, getting paid like Nick Saban with the only expectation that the players show up on time for class. 

Razorbackers

So then the rest of the SEC is also failing and should be firing all of their coaches because Bama has won the SEC 3 years in a row.

If everyone is win at all cost, I mean.

I get what Jeff was saying. But jeez, could he have been more tone deaf in his statement.

Pecos Hog

Statements like these are actually a sure sign that he is feeling some heat and might be in a bit of trouble.  He is creating a false dichotomy and narrative.  You're either satisfied with the job Jeff Long is doing, or you're a win at all costs mercenary.  There is no in between.  As such he is insulating himself from being pushed out because no one in the administration wants to be seen being in favor of sleeze.

He's feeling the pressure.  No doubt about it.   

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Malvin on September 12, 2017, 10:41:48 am
Don't kid yourself here, every school in the SEC cheats and cuts corners.. some are better at it than others.  Some are so desperate that they get really stupid like Ole Miss and they go to far.  It's about walking a line, you don't put together a program like Alabama without cutting a few corners.

I never said they don't.  I said being a school that isn't cut-throat does not mean Arkansas under Long doesnt care at all about winning.  So many coaches and so many programs do cheat that hiring a coach who tries to avoid doing so puts you at a disadvantage.  But if you are that kind of school under that kind of administration, you keep trying without violating the principle you adhere to.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Malvin on September 12, 2017, 10:45:24 am
Bielema has the perfect job, getting paid like Nick Saban with the only expectation that the players show up on time for class. 
I was going to say I'll recruit the best students and most well-behaved young men in the state of Arkansas to play for the UA and they can pay me 1/4 of what Bielema is making.   

ricepig

Quote from: Malvin on September 12, 2017, 10:45:24 am

He's paid about half of what Nick is paid, and we win about half as many games.

Kevin

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:44:26 am
Yep.

Apparently, “Yes, we want to win. Yes, it’s a priority. Yes, it eats us up from the inside that we don’t win more.” = "I admit, we aren't trying."

Pretty incredible how some of these guys lack basic reading comprehension skills.

I don't believe any of that

jkstock04

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 12, 2017, 10:41:48 am
Funny how things have changed. Remember the "answer the call" campaign during the Petrino years? I sort of fretted about the big bump in prices...but for winning 10 or 11 games per year and being in the top 10 on a regular basis I was all for it.

Now our answer the call is about integrity and graduating players. Pure awesomeness.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Karma on September 12, 2017, 10:45:21 am
I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding this.

Ole Miss decided to cheat to "win at all costs." Long is saying Arkansas is not going to do that.

It's not really that people don't understand this.  The great majority just don't believe in having a clean program.  They're okay with clean as long as clean wins championships (which it usually doesn't) or comes real close.  But when clean fails, they want dirty.

Kevin

I sure hope van horn does not retire soon.  because Omaha is his main goal

RME

In the words of Ara Parseghian in Rudy, "You just summed up your entire sorry career here in one sentence."

Or in other words, you let everyone know what kinda guy you are.

311Hog

Auburn and Ole Miss come to mind

hogcard1964

Aren't we ranked 11th in the SEC in academics?  I have news for you, that's not good.

http://universitybenchmarks.com/Southeastern_Conference_Academic_Rankings.html

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 12, 2017, 10:45:31 am
So then the rest of the SEC is also failing and should be firing all of their coaches because Bama has won the SEC 3 years in a row.

Yep.

Ole Miss was obviously win at all cost.
MSU is just as bad as Ole Miss... just haven't been "caught" yet.
Sumlin's gonna be out on his ass sooner than later.
LSU is swimming in talent, so I'm not sure there.
Bama and AU are both extremely dirty.

The West is cutthroat, man.  No place for nice guys.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ThisTeetsTaken

Did we pass on Damarea Crockett because we're not a win at all cost program?  I read on here that we passed on him for off the field reasons. 

Win at all cost doesn't necessarily mean you have to cheat but in the SEC you HAVE to take grade risks and behavior risks.  If you're Arkansas, you have to to compete. 

hoghearted

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 12, 2017, 10:49:44 am
It's not really that people don't understand this.  The great majority just don't believe in having a clean program.  They're okay with clean as long as clean wins championships (which it usually doesn't) or comes real close.  But when clean fails, they want dirty.

That's bunk.

What we have is an administration that rewards people for their affability, and not their performance. Why, on this good earth, did Long construct such a one-sided buyout after only the second year? His results on the field did not warrant such protection. It points to the principle that Long doesn't care about winning records. He is just swell dandy fine with a mediocre coach and team.

PorkRinds

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:44:26 am
Yep.

Apparently, "Yes, we want to win. Yes, it's a priority. Yes, it eats us up from the inside that we don't win more." = "I admit, we aren't trying."

It's insane.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 10:53:38 am
Yep.

Ole Miss was obviously win at all cost.
MSU is just as bad as Ole Miss... just haven't been "caught" yet.
Sumlin's gonna be out on his ass sooner than later.
LSU is swimming in talent, so I'm not sure there.
Bama and AU are both extremely dirty.

The West is cutthroat, man.  No place for nice guys.

You're not wrong there. Les Miles got forced out for winning 8-9 games.

We've had a prick and we've had a nice guy, and we still can't beat Bama or go back to Atlanta.

Obviously that TCU game was hot garbage, but I'm still giving CBB the chance to get this season back on track. I know a lot of folks here will be mad at 8 wins, but I won't be mad, just disappointed we couldn't win some other games. If we don't win 8 with this roster and this schedule, though, then I'm all for getting rid of him.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 12, 2017, 10:41:48 am

Well said....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on September 12, 2017, 10:54:08 am
Friggin' Dan Rather over here.

Well, good thing our athletic department is holding up their end. Now to get the rest of the ignorant students to go to class.........

hoglady

Every program in the SEC that beats us on a regular basis - that's the picture Long is trying to paint.
We are the only program doing things the "right way" - everyone else is dirty.
If he can make the fans buy into it - then it's a convenient excuse for losing.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hoglady on September 12, 2017, 10:57:39 am
Every program in the SEC that beats us on a regular basis - that's the picture Long is trying to paint.
We are the only program doing things the "right way" - everyone else is dirty.
If he can make the fans buy into it - then it's a convenient excuse for losing.
Right on.  If he doesn't convince people of this then he will have to face the fire over the buyout in Bielema's contract.

RME

Quote from: hoghearted on September 12, 2017, 10:55:05 am
That's bunk.

What we have is an administration that rewards people for their affability, and not their performance. Why, on this good earth, did Long construct such a one-sided buyout after only the second year? His results on the field did not warrant such protection. It points to the principle that Long doesn't care about winning records. He is just swell dandy fine with a mediocre coach and team.

Why is Matthew Stafford, a guy who has played 8 full seasons in the NFL and is 0-3 in the playoffs, the highest paid player in the League?

It's just the way contracts work nowadays.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 12, 2017, 10:56:19 am
You're not wrong there. Les Miles got forced out for winning 8-9 games.

We've had a prick and we've had a nice guy, and we still can't beat Bama or go back to Atlanta.

Obviously that TCU game was hot garbage, but I'm still giving CBB the chance to get this season back on track. I know a lot of folks here will be mad at 8 wins, but I won't be mad, just disappointed we couldn't win some other games. If we don't win 8 with this roster and this schedule, though, then I'm all for getting rid of him.

Miles averaged like 10.8 wins per year at LSU.

Unfortunately he rode the Cam Cameron train wreck offense right down to his dismissal. I'll never understand it.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

If you are in the win at all cost crowd, look at Baylor. There is no better example of that, and look what they have become. They are 0-2, with losses to LIBERTY and UTSA.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcard1964

Conflicted

If winning isn't priority number one, why invest an absorbent amount of money on a head coach at all?  Why not promote from the ranks of a local high schools to act as coach/counselors and just trot good kids out there to get their brains bashed in by other actual football players?

I just read that Bielema's contract package is the 7th highest valued in the country currently.  If winning isn't important, what's the point?

hoghearted

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 11:00:10 am
Why is Matthew Stafford, a guy who has played 8 full seasons in the NFL and is 0-3 in the playoffs, the highest paid player in the League?

It's just the way contracts work nowadays.

That doesn't even make sense. The two are not comparable. BB was due for a 'rollover' in his contract, but that buyout clause is stupid dumb.

hogsanity

what I want to know is how anyone can read what Long said and come to the conclusion he or the program is not trying to win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 11:01:31 am
Conflicted

If winning isn't priority number one, why invest an absorbent amount of money on a head coach at all?  Why not promote from the ranks of a local high schools to act as coach/counselors and just trot good kids out there to get their brains bashed in by other actual football players?

I just read that Bielema's contract package is the 7th highest valued in the country currently.  If winning isn't important, what's the point?
Agreed. See reply #26.