Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2nd July live period (7/20-7/23) recruiting threads are merged here ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, July 20, 2017, 01:16:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

JayHog

Kevin McPherson

HardingHog

Kevin, I saw that the Hawks lost to the STL Shooting Stars. Are the Hawks missing some of their better players because I can tell you that this game shouldn't have been in doubt. I've seen the Shooting Stars play and they don't have near the talent the Hawks have

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HardingHog on July 20, 2017, 08:19:01 pm
Kevin, I saw that the Hawks lost to the STL Shooting Stars. Are the Hawks missing some of their better players because I can tell you that this game shouldn't have been in doubt. I've seen the Shooting Stars play and they don't have near the talent the Hawks have

Reggie Perry did not play, have not confirmed whether he'll be back or not. DJ Weaver is with Texas Pro 17U for the rest of July, plays in Dallas GASO this weekend. TJ Moss not with the Hawks this weekend, we'll see if he rejoins for the Vegas trip next week. Justice Hill is playing hurt (foot).

About to post my recent tweets next ...

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on July 20, 2017, 09:32:49 pm
Reggie Perry did not play, have not confirmed whether he'll be back or not. DJ Weaver is with Texas Pro 17U for the rest of July, plays in Dallas GASO this weekend. TJ Moss not with the Hawks this weekend, we'll see if he rejoins for the Vegas trip next week. Justice Hill is playing hurt (foot).

About to post my recent tweets next ...

Kevin would you call this a disappointing summer for the Hawks? Prior to this summer they talked about winning national championship. However, they have struggled to win games or be competitive in elite tournaments.

What's going on with Desi? Have not heard much about him. More coverage on Wings elite. Looks like Dokes, Wilson and Moore are legit.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 20, 2017, 10:35:45 pm
Kevin would you call this a disappointing summer for the Hawks? Prior to this summer they talked about winning national championship. However, they have struggled to win games or be competitive in elite tournaments.

What's going on with Desi? Have not heard much about him. More coverage on Wings elite. Looks like Dokes, Wilson and Moore are legit.

Based on team accomplishments, yes. But guys like Isaiah Joe, Ethan Henderson, and Justice Hill have shown individual improvement in multiple areas, so that is what I think matters most. Lots of distractions for this team, though. Desi left in early May citing knee problems. I thought as good as Perry was, he played selfishly at times. D.J. Weaver did some good things, but was still working his way back from knee injury so the Hawks brought him along slowly and never turned him loose.

As 16s last year, this team was ranked as high as No. 4 nationally and finished in the Top 10. But 17s is a different animal, and there were just too many distractions for this team to thrive and play consistently. I know Bill Ingram did not envision his team would be sitting here at 19-10 overall (7-8 in Adidas Gauntlet games).

The purpose of grassroots hoops is to give the kids exposure, help develop them, and help get them to the next level. As stated above, I see improvement in the 3 kids still with the Hawks who are committed to the Hogs, and really that is paramount above all else. Don't get me wrong, would love for the Hawks (and all Arkansas grassroots teams) to do well as a team for state pride, but at the end of the day these kids are playing to get better for the next level.

As for the Wings, I like Mylik Wilson and Collin Moore (16s and c/o 2019), and Chris Moore, Gerald Doakes, Devonte Davis, and Caleb London (15s and c/o 2020). Also like Moses Moody, Jerry Iliya, and Jonathan Aku (TSS 15s and c/o 2020). Hawks 16s and c/o 2019 are loaded, too -- Shawn Fudge, Tim Ceaser (just joined from Team Penny), KK Robinson (c/o '20 playing up with both 16s and 17s), Allen Flanigan (UALR HC Wes Flanigan's son), Airion Simmons, and Isaac McBride.

JayHog

That 2020 class seems set to be the highest regarded in-state class in the history of the state. Seems like there are 10 guys (or more) who are ballers in that class and who will all get high-major offers.

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on July 20, 2017, 11:44:29 pm
Based on team accomplishments, yes. But guys like Isaiah Joe, Ethan Henderson, and Justice Hill have shown individual improvement in multiple areas, so that is what I think matters most. Lots of distractions for this team, though. Desi left in early May citing knee problems. I thought as good as Perry was, he played selfishly at times. D.J. Weaver did some good things, but was still working his way back from knee injury so the Hawks brought him along slowly and never turned him loose.

As 16s last year, this team was ranked as high as No. 4 nationally and finished in the Top 10. But 17s is a different animal, and there were just too many distractions for this team to thrive and play consistently. I know Bill Ingram did not envision his team would be sitting here at 19-10 overall (7-8 in Adidas Gauntlet games).

The purpose of grassroots hoops is to give the kids exposure, help develop them, and help get them to the next level. As stated above, I see improvement in the 3 kids still with the Hawks who are committed to the Hogs, and really that is paramount above all else. Don't get me wrong, would love for the Hawks (and all Arkansas grassroots teams) to do well as a team for state pride, but at the end of the day these kids are playing to get better for the next level.

As for the Wings, I like Mylik Wilson and Collin Moore (16s and c/o 2019), and Chris Moore, Gerald Doakes, Devonte Davis, and Caleb London (15s and c/o 2020). Also like Moses Moody, Jerry Iliya, and Jonathan Aku (TSS 15s and c/o 2020). Hawks 16s and c/o 2019 are loaded, too -- Shawn Fudge, Tim Ceaser (just joined from Team Penny), KK Robinson (c/o '20 playing up with both 16s and 17s), Allen Flanigan (UALR HC Wes Flanigan's son), Airion Simmons, and Isaac McBride.

Thanks

Locally theres talk about Justice Hill but on a national level its pretty silent. He did not make a move in the 2019 class from my knowledge.

I think Joe is going to be a player. His strength translate to the college game. The kid can shoot the ball. Henderson has improved but i need to see that dog and motor every game. Can't coach effort! When he works, good things happen for him and the Hawks.

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on July 20, 2017, 11:44:29 pm

Not to mention some clubs and players play up so last year these guys didn't go against all the top adidas teams bc some players were playing up in u17 as 16 year olds.

Kevin McPherson

July 21, 2017, 08:12:29 pm #22 Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:34:00 pm by Kevin McPherson
Quote from: azhog10 on July 21, 2017, 06:55:47 pm
Not to mention some clubs and players play up so last year these guys didn't go against all the top adidas teams bc some players were playing up in u17 as 16 year olds.

This is what I was hinting at when I said "17s is a different animal." You get the best a circuit can throw at you when you get to 17U = not only the best of the 17s and 16s, but sometimes the 15s, too, as well as some pretty good graduated players joining teams in the spring while they weigh re-classifying or signing late w/a college.

'17 Jalen Crutcher out of Memphis, who the Hogs inquired about, looked at re-classifying and joined M33M Elite on the Adidas Circuit -- avg 19.5 pts after a couple of games to close out April before signing very late with Dayton, where he'll be a freshman in '17-18.

Kevin McPherson

July 21, 2017, 08:33:04 pm #23 Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:45:39 pm by Kevin McPherson
Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 21, 2017, 05:46:41 pm
Thanks

Locally theres talk about Justice Hill but on a national level its pretty silent. He did not make a move in the 2019 class from my knowledge.

I think Joe is going to be a player. His strength translate to the college game. The kid can shoot the ball. Henderson has improved but i need to see that dog and motor every game. Can't coach effort! When he works, good things happen for him and the Hawks.

Justice will not likely be a big chart mover. For one, there are very few players under 6-0 tall who make the Top 150. Secondly, there are so many scorers 6-3 and under who designate themselves on paper as PGs -- guys who in actuality are not facilitators -- that benefit because scoring stats simply get more mileage toward moving up the ranking charts than assists combined with low-volume shooting/scoring. Justice is a facilitator first, sometimes too unselfish, so he's just not going to put up big scoring numbers. I think he's Top 100 caliber.

Isaiah Joe is a Top 100 player, IMO, and I've been saying it for a long time. 247Sports recently bumped him to national No. 90, a 4-star. And in the composite national rankings -- which is 247's aggregate of the 4 major services -- he's No. 120, also a 4-star. Isaiah needs to add strength, but he's a very good player who's unselfish and plays the right way. Underrated defender, high court IQ, and the best shooter on Adidas Gauntlet with crazy range, so there's that!

Ethan can be an enigma. He's actually improved his footwork, timing, and pet moves down low, improved his physicality, improved his mid-range shot, but his biggest struggles are playing with a consistent motor and playing aggressively in the face of adversity (after fouling and/or making a mistake). Some of his best games have been against the Hawks' most formidable opponents, so I know he has it in him. The inconsistency in his motor has been a consistent problem, though. It's why his rankings seem to move wildly, up and down. I'm a big fan of his potential, I see his improvement, and now's the time for him to take that next step and put it all together with purpose, passion, and a motor that runs better than the guy across from him, every night out.

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

MakingPlays

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on July 22, 2017, 11:18:03 am

https://twitter.com/CoachCBlack/status/888789101620670464

I heard the Horton kid was from El Dorado.  Future150 also says he played AAU ball with the Wings.  Any truth to any of this?  I've never heard of him before today.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Kevin McPherson

July 23, 2017, 02:20:12 am #45 Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:33:44 am by Kevin McPherson
Quote from: MakingPlays on July 23, 2017, 12:55:55 am
I heard the Horton kid was from El Dorado.  Future150 also says he played AAU ball with the Wings.  Any truth to any of this?  I've never heard of him before today.

He may have been part of the Wings organization at some point, and Gafford knows him ... will get more info and report back.

HardingHog

http://www.sheltonstate.edu/mods/mens_basketball_rosters.aspx?id=242

This profile from his college says he is from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Also, from what I can find he was a freshman this past season so he'd have a couple more years of eligibility if he comes in the 2018 class. So yes, a 6'10 guy (who even if he's only good for defense, rebounding, and some garbage points) to play behind a sophomore Gafford would be great

I also found this highlight video of him from this past season:

https://youtu.be/7Ow915gy3lw

Here's another profile for him with stats/pics/video from above/who is recruiting him:
http://www.bamamixtape.com/matthew-horton.html

MakingPlays

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on July 23, 2017, 02:20:12 am
He may have been part of the Wings organization at some point, and Gafford knows him ... will get more info and report back.

Sounds good.

I also found some recent video of him.  Looks like he's a big that has potential to stretch the floor a little bit as well.  Also runs the floor really well.  Seems like he would be a nice fit behind Gafford if staff chooses to go in that direction.

https://twitter.com/CoachK_251/status/886743961083289600

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: MakingPlays on July 23, 2017, 12:55:55 am

Horton transferred from El Dorado after his sophomore season (presumably to Tuscaloosa). He was in the Wings organization at one point, but moved around to different teams. I don't remember him playing with the Wings.