Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does it make you feel that Arkansas never cheats in recruiting?

Started by ATU HOG, July 18, 2017, 05:33:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ATU HOG

This was the question a radio station in Northwest Arkansas posed and Jeff Long responded....

"Makes me feel proud, when Hogs win we do so with honesty and integrity, we may not be perfect but doing things the right way is who we are"

My question is, how many teams actually cheat?  Realistically how many schools cheat?  My second question is why do we boast about doing the right thing? Yeah I think it's great we do things the right way, but I'm not a fan of us bragging about it to everyone that we do it the right way.  It should be an expectation, not something we hang our hat on. 

Do other schools brag about doing it the "right way"?  That is an honest question because I don't follow or keep up with other major schools as much as I do the hogs.  I love that we stay out of trouble... I'm not a fan that we brag about doing it the "right way"

NuttinItUp

oldhawg

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 05:33:33 pm
This was the question a radio station in Northwest Arkansas posed and Jeff Long responded....

"Makes me feel proud, when Hogs win we do so with honesty and integrity, we may not be perfect but doing things the right way is who we are"

My question is, how many teams actually cheat?  Realistically how many schools cheat?  My second question is why do we boast about doing the right thing? Yeah I think it's great we do things the right way, but I'm not a fan of us bragging about it to everyone that we do it the right way.  It should be an expectation, not something we hang our hat on. 

Do other schools brag about doing it the "right way"?  That is an honest question because I don't follow or keep up with other major schools as much as I do the hogs.  I love that we stay out of trouble... I'm not a fan that we brag about doing it the "right way"

Bragging?  The man simply answered a straight forward question ---- short and to the point.  Hard to call that bragging.

"How does it make you feel that Arkansas never cheats in recruiting?"

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

MuskogeeHogFan

If you want to build your program to the point that you are competing for a SECCG and NC every year, you have to cheat in the beginning, at least until you get to the point that you have won so many championships that highly ranked recruits just gravitate to your program because of the established reputation as potentially being, an annual contender for the NC. Then the cheating can tail-off a bit because everyone wants to get an offer from your program and you don't have to cheat, as much.

Doing it our way you might be in a position to contend for a NC, if everything goes just right, every 10-15 years or so. But I think that also requires catching other programs in a state of slight decline at the same time, which is why it is so difficult to accomplish. Timing is everything and even then, it might not work out.

So do you want your program to be known as a bunch of cheating [CENSORED] bags, or a program that can hold their head high, know that they acted in good faith and honor and win on average 7, 8, 9 games each year and occasionally 10 or 11, and every once in a great while be in the right place at the right time and have a shot at contending for a NC?
Go Hogs Go!

hobhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 18, 2017, 06:11:35 pm
If you want to build your program to the point that you are competing for a SECCG and NC every year, you have to cheat in the beginning, at least until you get to the point that you have won so many championships that highly ranked recruits just gravitate to your program because of the established reputation as potentially being, an annual contender for the NC. Then the cheating can tail-off a bit because everyone wants to get an offer from your program and you don't have to cheat, as much.

Doing it our way you might be in a position to contend for a NC, if everything goes just right, every 10-15 years or so. But I think that also requires catching other programs in a state of slight decline at the same time, which is why it is so difficult to accomplish. Timing is everything and even then, it might not work out.

So do you want your program to be known as a bunch of cheating [CENSORED] bags, or a program that can hold their head high, know that they acted in good faith and honor and win on average 7, 8, 9 games each year and occasionally 10 or 11, and every once in a great while be in the right place at the right time and have a shot at contending for a NC?

I am sure things happen everywhere on a minor basis. It's the AD and head coaches job to marshall it.

All I know is I would have no idea what I'd do all fall if I were ole miss or Baylor. If fans want to pull for cheaters, they are out there. Just don't soil our program. It leads to years of hell.

ATU HOG

Quote from: oldhawg on July 18, 2017, 05:58:25 pm
Bragging?  The man simply answered a straight forward question ---- short and to the point.  Hard to call that bragging.

It wasn't an interview, but I do get what you're saying.  Seems like we do like to talk about our integrity above anything else though...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 06:44:12 pm
It wasn't an interview, but I do get what you're saying.  Seems like we do like to talk about our integrity above anything else though...

I'll take that over the alternative.
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

It wouldn't bother me one bit if we are cheating.  However, it would piss me off if we got caught cheating. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ATU HOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 18, 2017, 06:59:23 pm
I'll take that over the alternative.
Isn't it better to have integrity and good morals and not talk about it, than be the ones who are great people that let everyone know how great that are?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 07:10:53 pm
Isn't it better to have integrity and good morals and not talk about it, than be the ones who are great people that let everyone know how great that are?

I know people who have/had kids that are being recruited and what they like to hear. Some live through their kids and they just want them to go somewhere that little Johnny has a chance to play in the league, regardless of the character of the program or the staff. Some come to regret that decision.

Lots of parents are rational enough to realize that getting to The League is a long shot and they want to know that their son is going to be treated like something more than just an asset to the program and that the staff is going to take genuine interest in their kid, help him get a degree and have an interest in how he turns out as a man. Football life for most people is temporary. How you prepare for life as an adult is more permanent. Our staff does a good job of promoting the total person concept and the real reason that you are in college. That's what I would want for my son and yes, I would want to know about the integrity of a college football program.
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 07:10:53 pm

It's almost become Long's brand.  Its really smart self promotion.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 18, 2017, 07:22:38 pm
you guys are something else. 

His Job is to promote the Razorback Brand.  he didn't say anything about himself personally, but that is how you choose to see it anyway.  amazing.

you act like he pulled a "I called that play brutha"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Turminator

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 18, 2017, 07:21:10 pm
I know people who have/had kids that are being recruited and what they like to hear. Some live through their kids and they just want them to go somewhere that little Johnny has a chance to play in the league, regardless of the character of the program or the staff. Some come to regret that decision.

Lots of parents are rational enough to realize that getting to The League is a long shot and they want to know that their son is going to be treated like something more than just an asset to the program and that the staff is going to take genuine interest in their kid, help him get a degree and have an interest in how he turns out as a man. Football life for most people is temporary. How you prepare for life as an adult is more permanent. Our staff does a good job of promoting the total person concept and the real reason that you are in college. That's what I would want for my son and yes, I would want to know about the integrity of a college football program.

They are sell development on and off the field. They all have academic support staffs. We do not have the market cornered on selling character and life after football.

Boarmonger

If you cheat, you fail yourself and everyone else in my opinion.  I could never feel good about a championship knowing we cheated to win it.  I'd feel much better doing it right and kicking their ass anyway.  Our wins against OM are so much sweeter in the last few years knowing what we know now.  Imagine for a moment a NC and the same feeling against that opponent.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 18, 2017, 07:36:06 pm
They are sell development on and off the field. They all have academic support staffs. We do not have the market cornered on selling character and life after football.

Selling it and actually doing it are two different things. But I wouldn't have expected you to have anything positive to say about our program.
Go Hogs Go!

AirWarren

Quote from: Turminator on July 18, 2017, 07:34:37 pm
It makes me feel like 7-6

It makes me feel not like ole miss.

All that cheating yet nothing to show for it.

ATU HOG

I just don't understand why we sell integrity.  Obviously if you are a parent of an athlete, one of the things you keep in mind is who you are playing for.  Clearly there are some programs/coaches where people don't want to play for because they are unethical... but you can count those programs on one hand.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: AP85 on July 18, 2017, 07:43:22 pm
It makes me feel not like ole miss.

All that cheating yet nothing to show for it.

They have a lot to show for it.

Lost scholarships, bowl game ban, fines.......Fun for all fans.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 07:47:48 pm
I just don't understand why we sell integrity.  Obviously if you are a parent of an athlete, one of the things you keep in mind is who you are playing for.  Clearly there are some programs/coaches where people don't want to play for because they are unethical... but you can count those programs on one hand.

If the only thing that you care about is how many games the football teams wins each year, then you never will.
Go Hogs Go!

AirWarren

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 18, 2017, 07:48:54 pm
They have a lot to show for it.

Lost scholarships, bowl game ban, fines.......Fun for all fans.

But hey, "if you ain't cheating you ain't winning".

Poker_hog

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 07:47:48 pm

Well we're projected to go 7-5 in a coaches 5th year that has lost more than he's won here.  There's not a lot to sell there but you have to sell something.

gchamblee

Quote from: oldhawg on July 18, 2017, 05:58:25 pm

Those that wish we would cheat try to shame us for taking integrity seriously

AlmaHog2011

Extremely proud! Hope we don't wade into the dirt. I'm sure we will have those on here saying we cheat but we don't..Hate those that say everybody cheats..

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Look at Baylor, Ole Miss, Louisville, North Carolina etc. The cheating by these schools and many others gives us a pride in doing thingd the right way and gives us a reason to say it proudly
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

gchamblee

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 06:44:12 pm

If it seems like it, maybe it's just a trigger word for you.

WilsonHog

HOGINTENNESSEE

ATU HOG

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 18, 2017, 09:26:26 pm
How does it make me feel? Very good.
Makes me feel good too.  My point is why is it something we hang our hats on when probably 120 out of the 128 FBS schools run a clean program.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 09:28:29 pm
Makes me feel good too.  My point is why is it something we hang our hats on when probably 120 out of the 128 FBS schools run a clean program.

I'm not sure why you don't "get it". It has been explained many times from various perspectives and yet you continue to pose the same question repeatedly. Why don't you just say what you really mean?
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 18, 2017, 07:22:38 pm

Eww you're one of those.

TDHawgs

There is a formula to cheating.
#1. Gradually cheat, don't do it all in one year like Ole Miss tried to do.
#2. Hide your trails, no paper trails.. ala Cam Newton style
#3. Don't beat Alabama two years in a row prompting an investigation.
#4. Don't know the meaning of Integrity.. act like you've never heard of the word.

lol

LRHawg

Integrity is great and all but it alone won't save a coach. Have to win.

ATU HOG

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 18, 2017, 09:38:28 pm
I'm not sure why you don't "get it". It has been explained many times from various perspectives and yet you continue to pose the same question repeatedly. Why don't you just say what you really mean?
I'm saying exactly what I mean.  Having integrity shouldn't be a selling point or something we talk about... it should be an expectation.  I don't go into work every single day and tell my boss that I'm here, she knows that I'm going to be there because that is the expectation.

95% of FBS schools by definition run a clean program and have integrity.  Just seems like we're one of the only ones who really talk about it having it.

gchamblee

Quote from: ATU HOG on July 18, 2017, 09:28:29 pm

I don't generally complain about things that make me feel good, so I think you're full of crap

jkstock04

Since the day Petrino was fired our brand has changed to "integrity" and winning being secondary. Fun times. All the while our SEC competition would sell their souls to win. There really seems to be a trickle down element of actual pity for winning blue chip programs. I would wager Jeff Long feels sorry for programs like Bama/Ohio State/Michigan who take winning so seriously.

This is the absolute least anticipated season I can remember as a fan...when this is the type of stuff that continues to make headlines coming from our administration. Just unbelievable, but that's the current reality. I'm sick of hearing about this stuff...our football program is becoming less about actual football and more so about integrity, grades, and fluff stories.

I don't have a problem with integrity and grades until it takes the place of winning. Or worse, is used to create a diversion away from actual football.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HamSammich

Lol erm. " raises his hand in houston"

Edit I meant I raise my hand in pride

East Clintwood

I don't want to have the cleanest program out there and I don't want to have the dirtiest program out there.  Somewhere in the middle.  Enough to compete.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

LZH

I hear we bought a 5* RB a Trans Am and then he flipped and went to another school.....but kept the car.

Little bastard.

hogcard1964

Everyone cheats.  Some do it better.

And I don't believe he's bragging.

mizzouman

It's the aged old question.  Would you take a national championship for 2 years probation? 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: mizzouman on July 19, 2017, 07:31:52 am
It's the aged old question.  Would you take a national championship for 2 years probation?
I hope ole miss is enjoying that champi- oh
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogsanity

Since some of you seem to not like people answering a question with a straightforward answer like Long did, and some of you favor cheating over not, here is a question for you:

How many of you that think the Hogs should cheat at recruiting are divorced, have been fired, or gone bankrupt?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on July 19, 2017, 09:33:44 am
Since some of you seem to not like people answering a question with a straightforward answer like Long did, and some of you favor cheating over not, here is a question for you:

How many of you that think the Hogs should cheat at recruiting are divorced, have been fired, or gone bankrupt?
I can happily say nada to all three. My stance is employ whatever the others are doing and still getting away with it.

Even the playing field.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GoHogzzGo

Absolutely love that we can always hold our heads high in this respect. Every time one of these stories comes out I enjoy that it is yet again not us. Would gladly sacrifice a win or two per year to stay above board.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

The NewEra

If Arkansas were to cheat on any meaningful scale, like Ole Miss, then we would get caught.  Those who haven't experienced the angst of going through a few seasons while under NCAA investigation don't understand how that drags a program and it's fan base down. Does anyone remember the negative effect the NCAA investigation into Arkansas took on the basketball program under Nolan?  And that was ultimately a flawed and inappropriate investigation, but it was terrible for recruiting. 

It's miserable recovering from a major scandal such as cheating and it would be reminiscent of the years it takes to rebuild from the floor up such as we have had to do after Petrino's Sunday motorcycle ride gift to Arkansas.  Give me a clean program that I can be proud of.  If you're patient and do it the right was, as we are now, then the character will rise to the top.  At year five in the rebuilding process we have already paid our dues in my opinion.  With some luck the rewards are just around the corner.

In a world where there is so much cheating, where everyone is focused on the now, with no regard for the long term consequences, I'm glad Long speaks openly and with pride that we are doing it the right way.  As has been mentioned, few athletes make it in the pro's.  Those who don't make it in the pro's need to know how to win by hard work and determination if they are going to ultimately be successful in the real world of business and their personal and eventually parental relationships.

For those who wish we cheated then I wish I knew who each of you were so that I could stay as far away from you as possible.  I wouldn't trust you as an employee, neighbor, church member and especially friend.

Let's keep doing it the right way.  In the long run it pays great dividends.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 19, 2017, 10:01:11 am
I can happily say nada to all three. My stance is employ whatever the others are doing and still getting away with it.

Even the playing field.

There was a guy who had an office on my floor several years ago, and he felt that way. He has spent the last 8 years in a federal pen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE