Perry decommits

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, July 05, 2017, 09:54:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 11:40:50 am
Wanted to come to Arkansas. Didn't want to play for Mike Anderson.

I don't buy that. His mom has tweeted multiple times about how she loves coach Richardson and how great he is. Mike is as close to him as it gets, so I don't think that's the case.

nwahogfan1

With all the offers going out to 6'6 SFs it looks like the plan is to replace a 6'9 with 2 small forwards.

bkjbearcat

MA is going to get the best 3 star JUCO he can find.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Hawg Red

Quote from: Kamkaizen on July 17, 2017, 03:37:29 pm
Is there another Hog offer out there for a player even remotely comparable to Perry?  We're gonna need to recruit some height inside.

I believe the remaining 2018 signees will be 3-star prospects and/or JUCO players. Maybe a transfer in there.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 10:21:17 pm
No fans = no money = no players. You don't get to write a letter like that and throw around such strong words and commitment and then back out with a lame-o excuse (especially since the truth about this adidas stuff is starting to creep out) that never added up.

Ironically Miss. State is second to last in SEC attendance. So basically they have very few fans at the moment. When they are averaging just over 6k we are averaging over 14k. So enjoy the empty stadium and fans.

psooie

If you assume no transfers there are 10 spots taken for 2018, hill is spot 11. Dudley wrote about Caleb stokes today so I would assume the hogs are getting interested for spot 12. Not sure what happens for spot 13

Hawg Red

Caleb Stokes would probably be a bigger project than Trey Thompson. Not sure how good of a get that would be.

3kgthog

If we aren't going to get our hands a little dirty in recruiting, we've got to assume ALL commits would still listen to other schools. That includes in-staters.

batmanfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 08:59:02 am
I believe the remaining 2018 signees will be 3-star prospects and/or JUCO players. Maybe a transfer in there.

Yep. Thats how they roll.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Hawg Red

Quote from: batmanfan on July 18, 2017, 09:39:48 am
Yep. Thats how they roll.

And for the record, I would trust that those player would develop into good players on some level. Just no one that's going to push the program to the next level. That player was Reggie Perry. We'll always have the right 4-year players. We just won't have enough of the right 1-year players. A one-and-done for Arkansas is a former top 100 player like Jimmy Whitt or Nick Babb. I get that Babb didn't do much at ISU but he was talented coming out and still has two season to make something of himself. Whitt was a freshman disappointment but still has 3 years to show his wares. There was a very good core being put together with Gafford, Garland, Harris (I think he will turn heads in this system), Jones, Bailey, Hall, the other Hawks and then Reggie Perry. Gafford and Perry, theoretically, could have carried that team with a supporting cast like that. That's a good supporting cast in my mind. But you have to have some real ballers to get anything done. Those guys are 1-2 years tops. But you have to have them to get there. I think Gafford could be a 2-3 year player. He's freaking good. Perry is really freaking good. I don't want my comment to diminish the remaining signees, who I'm sure will be useful players for the Hogs for the most part. There's just no reason to expect some 4-star player that the staff is just now getting on to come to Arkansas. It's too late for that.

tophawg19

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2017, 10:02:06 am
And for the record, I would trust that those player would develop into good players on some level. Just no one that's going to push the program to the next level. That player was Reggie Perry. We'll always have the right 4-year players. We just won't have enough of the right 1-year players. A one-and-done for Arkansas is a former top 100 player like Jimmy Whitt or Nick Babb. I get that Babb didn't do much at ISU but he was talented coming out and still has two season to make something of himself. Whitt was a freshman disappointment but still has 3 years to show his wares. There was a very good core being put together with Gafford, Garland, Harris (I think he will turn heads in this system), Jones, Bailey, Hall, the other Hawks and then Reggie Perry. Gafford and Perry, theoretically, could have carried that team with a supporting cast like that. That's a good supporting cast in my mind. But you have to have some real ballers to get anything done. Those guys are 1-2 years tops. But you have to have them to get there. I think Gafford could be a 2-3 year player. He's freaking good. Perry is really freaking good. I don't want my comment to diminish the remaining signees, who I'm sure will be useful players for the Hogs for the most part. There's just no reason to expect some 4-star player that the staff is just now getting on to come to Arkansas. It's too late for that.
i think Henderson is being overlooked in all this . the last few games his numbers are better than Perry's . also I don't see Perry as a team guy . more of a I'm going to get mine regardless . I'm not a fan of most 1 and dones . their agenda places them above the team concept . they have to be in a hurry to showcase themselves above the good of the team
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawg Red

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 18, 2017, 10:15:22 am
i think Henderson is being overlooked in all this . the last few games his numbers are better than Perry's . also I don't see Perry as a team guy . more of a I'm going to get mine regardless . I'm not a fan of most 1 and dones . their agenda places them above the team concept . they have to be in a hurry to showcase themselves above the good of the team

I'm big on Henderson. I think he will be ready earlier than expected. I see people around here too wrapped up in the non-existent Parkview games. He's been showing well on the AAU circuit. He assaults the rim and he's long and athletic. He'll see the court if his motor stays consistent.

But he's not a guy that will carry a team. He'll never be that. He's a supporting player.

klp1

We offered 6'8 4 star PF Jake Forrester (Pa)  over the weekend.   We were also watching at Peach Jam  Trey Jemison 4 star PF(AL) and a couple for 3 star prep school guys ,  Nathan Mensah 6'10 and Amado Sow 6'8.  I'm sure there were others at Adidas and under armour events.

We will find out in August\ September, when visits are scheduled, who the main targets are.

AlmaHog2011

July 18, 2017, 11:39:19 am #264 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:51:47 am by AlmaHog2011
What does Greenberg have to do with his decommit?
I have read that he somehow convinced Perry not to go to Arkansas?

What's the connection? Why would Greenberg be recruiting against Arkansas? What is he to the Perry family? Is he friends with Holland? What is up?

widespreadsooie

AlmaHog2011

Youngsta71701

Factchecker, are you here? We need some info please sir.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

azhog10

Ben and Seth have been very close for very long. You can go back to when Bill Walton was outspoken against Ben Howland at UCLA or go back to when he signed Malik Newman at MSU (also Malik went to State when everyone was scratching their heads and transferred to another Adidas school in Kansas). Here's a link to an article that shows Seth being very pro-Howland.

https://www.todaysu.com/sec/mississippi-state-bulldogs/ben-howland-mississippi-state-poised-breakout-season/

Both have coached at Pitt (different times) and both coached in Cali as assistants around the same time. Seth and Ben go way back.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: azhog10 on July 18, 2017, 02:03:10 pm
Ben and Seth have been very close for very long. You can go back to when Bill Walton was outspoken against Ben Howland at UCLA or go back to when he signed Malik Newman at MSU (also Malik went to State when everyone was scratching their heads and transferred to another Adidas school in Kansas). Here's a link to an article that shows Seth being very pro-Howland.

https://www.todaysu.com/sec/mississippi-state-bulldogs/ben-howland-mississippi-state-poised-breakout-season/

Both have coached at Pitt (different times) and both coached in Cali as assistants around the same time. Seth and Ben go way back.

Seth also coached Perry at the Adidas EuroCamp in June, which was about the time that word was getting out that Perry was re-considering (coincidence?). Here was a twitter exchange that many Hog fans saw yesterday ...

https://twitter.com/_R1bang_/status/887104503861739521

https://twitter.com/SethOnHoops/status/887104379429543937

BigSexyHog

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 15, 2017, 11:52:28 pm
You people make me puke!  This is a HS kid that's moving up recruiting boards very quickly!  Have any of you changed your minds about a car or house you committed to?  GET REAL!  This young man had a RIGHT to change his mind!  If he wants to play BB somewhere else, GOD bless him!  It's his life not any poster on HV or any Hog fan, REALLY get a life, it's not that big of a deal!

He has ever right to change his mind and play where he wants to.  But at least me a MAN and just say hey I want to explore other opportunities and stop using Daddy being sick as an excuse.  Plus what his mommy said.  This family is trash
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Porked Tongue

nwahogfan1

Quote from: klp1 on July 18, 2017, 10:30:44 am
We offered 6'8 4 star PF Jake Forrester (Pa)  over the weekend.   We were also watching at Peach Jam  Trey Jemison 4 star PF(AL) and a couple for 3 star prep school guys ,  Nathan Mensah 6'10 and Amado Sow 6'8.  I'm sure there were others at Adidas and under armour events.

We will find out in August\ September, when visits are scheduled, who the main targets are.

Thanks. Maybe something will come of one of these bigger players.

Hogimus Prime

Wow f-Seth Greenburg. Never liked him anyway. His teams at Virginia Tech always underachieved then he'd whine cause they didn't make the big dance. 

Razorod

interesting and promising--I hope. Would compliment Henderson well.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 18, 2017, 01:18:46 pm
Factchecker, are you here? We need some info please sir.

I was asking I had read some stuff on another board. Seems like the two above have given the answers.

AlmaHog2011

Greenberg is hooked up with Adidas and that he was in Perry's ear while coaching him. Basketball recruiting is a slimy business. If I was Mike I would look this guy up.

Nosboar Accubond

tophawg19

and perry goes to MSU , which is a Adidias school . Follow the money $$$$$$$$$$$

Big Nasty 34

I think Mike needs to go find the best JUCO big man he can. Would love to get a quality 4 star 4/5 player, but I'm not sure if we can land someone like that from out of state.

The great thing is, there are still some very good in state players. The 2020 class looks to be pretty strong. We HAVE to keep the studs of that class here to keep competitive IMO.

tophawg19

go look at the breaking , hogs offer thread . we are on a huge number of top 100 guys and drawing a lot of interest from them

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 18, 2017, 07:27:34 pm
and perry goes to MSU , which is a Adidias school . Follow the money $$$$$$$$$$$
[/quot

Wow I didn't know that. Adidas needs to be banned from Arkansas and ole Greenberg needs to feel some backlash. With this type thing happening it makes Mike's job so much more difficult. Maybe impossible.

tophawg19

we are a nike school, we were an adidias school at one time . i just wonder about hard feelings in the change over . the ncaa needs to get these handlers out of college recruiting. they are nothing but glorified agents for hire

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on July 18, 2017, 07:46:23 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on July 18, 2017, 07:27:34 pm
[/quot

Wow I didn't know that. Adidas needs to be banned from Arkansas and ole Greenberg needs to feel some backlash. With this type thing happening it makes Mike's job so much more difficult. Maybe impossible.

I'm sure when the next shoe contract comes up and adida$ comes a calling Long will nicely tell them to shove it.

HogCzar1

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on July 18, 2017, 06:58:08 pm
Greenberg is hooked up with Adidas and that he was in Perry's ear while coaching him. Basketball recruiting is a slimy business. If I was Mike I would look this guy up.

This whole thing with Greenberg smells bad. He made some pointed comments on ESPN that Ben Simmons should never have gone to LSU. He is connected with ESPN and Adidas. I have no idea if this influenced Perry or not, but I would like some of our sports writers to check it out. Especially with how close he had been with Perry this summer.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: HogCzar1 on July 18, 2017, 08:34:32 pm
This whole thing with Greenberg smells bad. He made some pointed comments on ESPN that Ben Simmons should never have gone to LSU. He is connected with ESPN and Adidas. I have no idea if this influenced Perry or not, but I would like some of our sports writers to check it out. Especially with how close he had been with Perry this summer.

Agree the guy is a scum bag. Wish there was a way to get back at this guy and let him know how we feel. How can a guy work for ESPN and get involved in recruiting? How is that alright?

Paul

Greenberg sucked as a coach & sucks as an analyst  he can only make a living whoring for Sonny Vacarro

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 18, 2017, 07:34:44 pm
go look at the breaking , hogs offer thread . we are on a huge number of top 100 guys and drawing a lot of interest from them

I don't want to he a buzz kill. But don't buy the hype in that thread until they visit

FineAsSwine

this thing is bigger than Nino Brown.....

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 18, 2017, 10:33:52 pm
I don't want to he a buzz kill. But don't buy the hype in that thread until they visit

This is actually the stance I take as well. Some good offers have gone out, there will be more in the next weeks/months, and prospects will say complementary things. Relative to all of that, visits are the best measuring sticks for significant mutual interest.

The_Iceman

Unless we have another homegrown kid that wants to go to Arkansas and doesn't care about the coach or NBA development, we will replace Perry with a 3-star undersized forward.

Swinesong1

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on July 18, 2017, 06:58:08 pm
It was an Adidas sponsored team on an adidas sponsored tour!    Of course it would be coached by an adidas employee.  Once the going pro talk started it wasn't hard to see Perry going to an adidas school.  Gotta start making "business decisions".  Gotta be honest, with all these kids thinking they're pro prospects, I'm surprised that the Hogs (a Nike school) even gets a sniff from Adidas sponsored AAU players. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Paul on July 18, 2017, 09:50:44 pm
Greenberg sucked as a coach & sucks as an analyst  he can only make a living whoring for Sonny Vacarro
I don't think he was a very good coach but I like him as an analyst.  He is on XM College Sports radio quite a bit during hoops season and does a good job IMO. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ChicoHog on July 19, 2017, 08:34:24 pm
I don't think he was a very good coach but I like him as an analyst.  He is on XM College Sports radio quite a bit during hoops season and does a good job IMO.

I hope you no longer like him?