Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 16, 2024, 09:31:25 am

Perry

Started by BannerMountainMan, July 17, 2017, 11:32:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hawg Red

He'll have to play in Bud Walton next year, I think.

King Kong

His Dad played there

The_Iceman

Didn't want to play for Mike Anderson.

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 11:38:59 am
He'll have to play in Bud Walton next year, I think.

He should. It wouldn't be pretty for him

Hawg Red

The Hogfather

Over 7 hours away. 

King Kong

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 11:40:43 am
Hope it makes dad feel better.

Probably will once they give him a job

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 11:40:33 am
He should. It wouldn't be pretty for him

Nor should it be. Obviously his life, his choice, but part of that is dealing with the fallout of the decisions you make. It will be hard for people to accept the reason he gave for decommitting. It sounds like a cop out right now.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 11:43:43 am
Nor should it be. Obviously his life, his choice, but part of that is dealing with the fallout of the decisions you make. It will be hard for people to accept the reason he gave for decommitting. It sounds like a cop out right now.

Let's call it what it is; complete bullshiz.  Makes me sick all the way around with the way he committed, the way he decommitted and the excuse he used, and now committed to a shizhole of a school probably because he's being paid or being fed a bunch of bullshiz by his dad, so he'll go to the ol' alma mater.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 11:46:10 am
Let's call it what it is; complete bullshiz.  Makes me sick all the way around with the way he committed, the way he decommitted and the excuse he used, and now committed to a shizhole of a school probably because he's being paid or being fed a bunch of bullshiz by his dad, so he'll go to the ol' alma mater.

Yea, that's right, any recruit that decides not to go to the UofA must be getting paid.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 11:51:34 am
Yea, that's right, any recruit that decides not to go to the UofA must be getting paid.

Crazy how that works, isn't it? Forget Howland being a pretty damn solid coach with a good track record, too.

The Hogfather

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 11:54:03 am
Crazy how that works, isn't it? Forget Howland being a pretty damn solid coach with a good track record, too.

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 11:51:34 am

Nothing has changed from when he committed to Arkansas and announced that "Arkansas was his Kentucky, Duke, UNC" or whatever the exact quote was.  Or, has it???  $$$

RME

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 11:55:01 am
Nothing has changed from when he committed to Arkansas and announced that "Arkansas was his Kentucky, Duke, UNC" or whatever the exact quote was.  Or, has it???  $$$

So whenever we land a highly regarded football or basketball recruit from another state, why is that?

We land one because they buy into our system and love our coaches.
We lose one because they're getting paid.

Jesus.

The Hogfather

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 12:00:10 pm
So whenever we land a highly regarded football or basketball recruit from another state, why is that?

Jesus.

This isn't the typical recruit.  He is from Little Rock, was scheduled to play with many of his current teammates, committed to Arkansas and announced that "Arkansas is his Kentucky, Duke, Kansas" or whatever he said, then decommits because of his "dad's health issues", only to shortly thereafter commit to a school that is over 7 hours away from his dad.  Again, nothing changed from when he originally committed and basically said Arkansas was his dream school................unless it did ($$$).

Hawg Red

Any time a player decommitts from a program on the rise (one that has at least been in the NCAA tournament in recent years) for a program that hasn't topped 10 conference wins in what is precieved to be a "down" SEC since 2007-2008 (that will be 11 years by the time Perry suits up there), it's going to raise red flags. It's also been that long since Howland took a team to the Final 4. Nevermind the Final 4, it's been that long since Howland took a team to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Reggie Perry was like 6 or 7 years old the last time a Ben Howland team did anything of note. Mississippi State has been to the NCAA tournament two times in this period of time (2007-2008 and 2008-2009). Arkansas has at least been to the NCAA tournament two of three seasons and made the SEC tournament final also in two of three seasons.

I get that dad played there. Undoubtedly a factor. I get that it's actually a lot closer to home that Fayetteville. Obviously a factor. But it's really not "close to home" like he said he was looking for. Maybe the family does view Ben Howland in a better light than Mike Anderson. Understandable. Just don't blow smoke. You'd have a lot less mad Hog fans if you weren't trying to sell them what clearly now looks like a load of crap. It never smelled right from the jump and it still doesn't. You're upset that you're getting criticism on Twitter? Boo hoo. What do you think it's going to be like in the NBA? You don't have the option to only get praise. When you piss people off and you put yourself out there on social media, you have to take the good with the bad. But it would help tremendously to just be honest.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 11:40:00 am
then why did he commit in the first place, Anderson is twice the coach Howland is
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hawg Red

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 17, 2017, 12:10:29 pm
then why did he commit in the first place, Anderson is twice the coach Howland is

I think Perry and the family like Anderson plenty. There are other factors at play.

Wouldn't go so far as to say Anderson is twice the coach Howland is, though it's been a good while since Howland did anything as a coach.

WooPig90

Lol at least be a man and dont lie about why you decommited in the first place

The_Iceman

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 17, 2017, 12:10:29 pm

He liked Arkansas just fine. Realized he could get better prep for the NBA under a different coach.

Hawg Red

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 12:16:07 pm
He liked Arkansas just fine. Realized he could get better prep for the NBA under a different coach.

That coach was there when he committed to Arkansas.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 12:03:33 pm
This isn't the typical recruit.  He is from Little Rock, was scheduled to play with many of his current teammates, committed to Arkansas and announced that "Arkansas is his Kentucky, Duke, Kansas" or whatever he said, then decommits because of his "dad's health issues", only to shortly thereafter commit to a school that is over 7 hours away from his dad.  Again, nothing changed from when he originally committed and basically said Arkansas was his dream school................unless it did ($$$).

This is the same type of in state guy Mike has lost before, only the rest did not commit and then go elsewhere. Allen, Goodwin, Monk, being the other biggest names. All in state kids, all NOT playing for the UofA.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 12:23:46 pm
This is the same type of in state guy Mike has lost before, only the rest did not commit and then go elsewhere. Allen, Goodwin, Monk, being the other biggest names. All in state kids, all NOT playing for the UofA.

I know you realize this, but this is not even close to the same situation.

swineology

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 12:21:14 pm
That coach was there when he committed to Arkansas.

Can't wait for or lame a$$ media to spin this one, I'm looking at you RD and DD

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 12:25:01 pm
I know you realize this, but this is not even close to the same situation.

None of the situations are ever the same, but the players are.  Projected to be one and done maybe two, highly recruited by top programs, and more often than not they end up NOT playing for the UofA.

As for Perry, who knows exactly why he changed his mind, and MSU is NOT a basketball destination, but the fact remains another top level kid that grew up in Ar is playing somewhere else.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Just maybe his dad had a little bit to do with it... ???
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 12:27:24 pm
None of the situations are ever the same, but the players are.  Projected to be one and done maybe two, highly recruited by top programs, and more often than not they end up NOT playing for the UofA.

As for Perry, who knows exactly why he changed his mind, and MSU is NOT a basketball destination, but the fact remains another top level kid that grew up in Ar is playing somewhere else.

The kid committed and called Arkansas "his Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke".  Did those other guys do that?  He also was scheduled to play with many of his current teammates at Arkansas.  Was that the situation with the others?  Again, the kid COMMITTED and said Arkansas was his dream school (Anderson was the coach at Arkansas when this happened) AND everything I saw from when he committed did not mention MSU as a true possibility, despite his dad going there.  $omething $tinks.

JayBell

Got a friend lecturing me on Twitter because I'm calling BS on Perry's stated reasons for the decommitment.  "It's possible to be a deciding factor for one and not the other is point. Recruiting is a matrix. What checks what boxes and to what extent."

Look, I get it.  How many of us would be mad if Perry came out and straight up said he wanted to play for his dad's alma mater?  We'd be disappointed, but that's not a reason to hate a guy (though obviously some still would).

I'm taking his statements at face value.  I'm not making any inferences or rationalizations.  The fact is the reasons he himself gave for his commitment to Arkansas, subsequent decommitment and commitment to Mississippi State make absolutely no sense, even for an emotional teenager.

The Hogfather

Quote from: JayBell on July 17, 2017, 12:32:52 pm
The fact is the reasons he himself gave for his commitment to Arkansas, subsequent decommitment and commitment to Mississippi State make absolutely no sense, even for an emotional teenager.

Precisely. 

willyacs

I don't blame the kid for wanting to go somewhere else, but man up and tell the truth. Using your dad's health as an excuse is just BS.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 12:00:10 pm

Jesus.
How many 5 star recruits do we get from out of state in football or basketball? None! That's because we don't pay. I'm sure whatever they pay him will do wonders for his dad's health issues.

hogsanity

Got a friend lecturing me on Twitter because I'm calling BS on Perry's stated reasons for the decommitment.  "It's possible to be a deciding factor for one and not the other is point. Recruiting is a matrix. What checks what boxes and to what extent."

Look, I get it.  How many of us would be mad if Perry came out and straight up said he wanted to play for his dad's alma mater?  We'd be disappointed, but that's not a reason to hate a guy (though obviously some still would).

I'm taking his statements at face value.  I'm not making any inferences or rationalizations.  The fact is the reasons he himself gave for his commitment to Arkansas, subsequent decommitment and commitment to Mississippi State make absolutely no sense, even for an emotional teenager.

The end is the same, another high profile in state kid is not playing for the UofA.

I don't buy his story about being closer to his dad, but ti does not change the outcome.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 17, 2017, 12:36:21 pm
How many 5 star recruits do we get from out of state in football or basketball? None! That's because we don't pay. I'm sure whatever they pay him will do wonders for his dad's health issues.

Why not make a little money before heading to the NBA?  He doesn't even have to go overseas!

RME

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 17, 2017, 12:36:21 pm

Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify it. Next time we land a highly regarded 4* in football or basketball from another state, it must be because we paid them.

Hawg Red

I no longer have any expectation for Arkansas to be able to land a 5-star player, including those within the state. At least under this coaching staff. Bobby Portis looks like an extreme outlier at this point.

I'm trying really hard not to get down on Anderson because I've come to accept his recruiting/coaching tendencies, but something is obviously missing. Non-blue blood programs get 5-star players, as evidenced by Perry going to Mississippi State. These kids have to feel the love (whatever that may actually mean). This staff seems to only excel with undervalued recruits. Anderson can usually get the most out of them, but that isn't enough to get over the hump as a program.

I'm at the point now where I feel like if you're okay with how this staff recruits, you're basically saying you're okay with the ceiling of the program being severely capped. Like, the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 is now the Final 4 or National Championship to better recruiting programs. Because Anderson is a good coach, but he isn't a good enough coach to be able to take this kind of talent all the way like a Jay Wright did or Mark Few or Gregg Marshall might be able to. I generally like the recruits Anderson signs in the early period and his non-scramble late period signees, but we're always short on difference-makers. We'll have guys like Hannahs, Kingsley, Macon, Barford, Bell, etc. that become difference-makers for the Hogs but aren't big enough difference-makers on a national level to propel the team to real success. Ideally, a Dusty Hannahs is a great 3rd/4th option on a legit team with real hopes of going deep. Ideally, Moses Kingsley is not your best pro prospect or even your second best pro prospect (that might be pushing it). Ideally, you're not hoping and praying two JUCO guys come back for their senior seasons so you can have a shot at have All-SEC talent. Gotta have more guys like Perry and Monk to really do something. It really shouldn't be this hard to keep in-state/deep state-connected guys. If the staff were batting even .500, it'd make a big difference.

Am I willing to accept the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 has the best that can be hoped for? It's hard not to get down on the staff here, regardless of the reason. And I don't think we can look at what has happened here and definitely tell ourselves it was because his dad was sick. It is not clear at all that he ended up at MSU for that reason. I love Mike and I really, really want it to work with him, but come on, man. We gotta start getting more ARKANSAS-BORN elite talent. So far, you've gotten ONE guy. It's hard to look past.

BannerMountainMan

Mike Anderson is the best thing that has happened to Arkansas in the 00's by far, doesn't cheat, doesn't ride motorcycles, doesn't SMILE, doesn't make reality TV shows about himself, just goes in there and does his work and it's paying off!

The Hogfather

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 12:41:15 pm
Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify it. Next time we land a highly regarded 4* in football or basketball from another state, it must be because we paid them.

This isn't just a guy choosing to head elsewhere.  He committed to Arkansas and basically called it his dream program/team/school, over Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke.  He was going to get to play with many of his current teammates.  Nothing has changed......except maybe his dad's bank account.

Hawg Red

Anything other than "I need to stay closer to home so I'm going to play 700+ miles away for a program that really hasn't shown a pulse in 10+ years" would have been enough for me. Even "I'm going to play 700+ miles from home for a program that really hasn't shown a pulse in 10+ years because my dad played there." But he told us he "had to" decommit to play closer to home.

BannerMountainMan

maybe  they just don't like to work that extra hard in his practices while they would rather be riding in that car or going to those parties that the coaches hold for them every weekend. It happens. ALOT.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 17, 2017, 12:43:16 pm
Mike Anderson is the best thing that has happened to Arkansas in the 00's by far, doesn't cheat, doesn't ride motorcycles, doesn't SMILE, doesn't make reality TV shows about himself, just goes in there and does his work and it's paying off!

Is it really paying off, though?

I love the way he runs the program but I don't see much of ceiling if we can't get more of these elite kids that are either from Arkansas or deeply connected to the state. Not awhile also continually losing top 150 players like Babb and Whitt. Maybe if we could get guys like Whitt and Babb to stay in the program and develop (even if they don't pan out as the players we had hoped for), but when you combine losing players with that potential and losing almost all of the nationally-relevant in-state kids, it looks rocky.

King Kong

Please tell me someone has a screen shot of that Macon tweet

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 12:42:37 pm
I no longer have any expectation for Arkansas to be able to land a 5-star player, including those within the state. At least under this coaching staff. Bobby Portis looks like an extreme outlier at this point.

I'm trying really hard not to get down on Anderson because I've come to accept his recruiting/coaching tendencies, but something is obviously missing. Non-blue blood programs get 5-star players, as evidenced by Perry going to Mississippi State. These kids have to feel the love (whatever that may actually mean). This staff seems to only excel with undervalued recruits. Anderson can usually get the most out of them, but that isn't enough to get over the hump as a program.

I'm at the point now where I feel like if you're okay with how this staff recruits, you're basically saying you're okay with the ceiling of the program being severely capped. Like, the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 is now the Final 4 or National Championship to better recruiting programs. Because Anderson is a good coach, but he isn't a good enough coach to be able to take this kind of talent all the way like a Jay Wright did or Mark Few or Gregg Marshall might be able to. I generally like the recruits Anderson signs in the early period and his non-scramble late period signees, but we're always short on difference-makers. We'll have guys like Hannahs, Kingsley, Macon, Barford, Bell, etc. that become difference-makers for the Hogs but aren't big enough difference-makers on a national level to propel the team to real success. Ideally, a Dusty Hannahs is a great 3rd/4th option on a legit team with real hopes of going deep. Ideally, Moses Kingsley is not your best pro prospect or even your second best pro prospect (that might be pushing it). Ideally, you're not hoping and praying two JUCO guys come back for their senior seasons so you can have a shot at have All-SEC talent. Gotta have more guys like Perry and Monk to really do something. It really shouldn't be this hard to keep in-state/deep state-connected guys. If the staff were batting even .500, it'd make a big difference.

Am I willing to accept the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 has the best that can be hoped for? It's hard not to get down on the staff here, regardless of the reason. And I don't think we can look at what has happened here and definitely tell ourselves it was because his dad was sick. It is not clear at all that he ended up at MSU for that reason. I love Mike and I really, really want it to work with him, but come on, man. We gotta start getting more ARKANSAS-BORN elite talent. So far, you've gotten ONE guy. It's hard to look past.

While I understand this type of thinking, I think the program just needs a sustained period of stability at a decent level of winning in order to get us back in the minds of the elite recruits.  The bad thing is, I think it is going to take a while and require some luck.  We'll need a guy like Gafford to perform over their ratings and we'll need to keep them longer (the luck part).  Think about if Anderson could've convinced Portis/Qualls to stay one more year.  That team could've been really good.  Once we can do that, I think we'll start to get more elite, elite players.  Also, Arkansas seems to be producing really good basketball players lately.  Some of those guys do/will want to go to Arkansas and will actually not buy into the bullshiz of other programs and/or will reject the money some other programs offer.

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 17, 2017, 12:43:16 pm

Yep, nothing says winning like a 5 seed and a 8th seed in the ncaat in 5 seasons. Nothing says success like watching the top in state players go play at places like KY, FLA, Minn, and Miss St in stead of staying to play for the Hogs.

The Hogfather

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 12:50:12 pm
Please tell me someone has a screen shot of that Macon tweet

It was in one of these threads.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 17, 2017, 12:41:15 pm
Well now there's the difference. 5 star and 4 star. There's just something about that extra star that does things to people. ;)

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 17, 2017, 12:53:33 pm
Well now there's the difference. 5 star and 4 star. There's just something about that extra star that does things to people. ;)

Hmmm...wonder what that could be??  :)

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 12:51:26 pm
Yep, nothing says winning like a 5 seed and a 8th seed in the ncaat in 5 seasons. Nothing says success like watching the top in state players go play at places like KY, FLA, Minn, and Miss St in stead of staying to play for the Hogs.
Oh GTFOH!!!!!