Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ar-Dem-Gaz Top 25 Most Memorable - #6 not so memorable

Started by redleg, July 17, 2017, 09:42:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

The 10-3 loss to The Citadel in Fayetteville in 1992, is the lowest of the low points in Razorback football, as far as I am concerned. To lose to a Div. I-AA school on your home field is an embarrassment that can't be forgotten or erased.
In my opinion, Frank Broyles, breaking his own rule about not hiring a head coach without previous head coaching experience, by hiring Jack Crowe, was the beginning of the downfall of Hog football. As much as Coach Broyles did to elevate the University of Arkansas in his 50 years as AD and 19 years as HC, he did some serious damage as well, mostly due to his own ego.
Continuously sticking his nose in Hatfield's coaching business is what caused Ken to take the Clemson job without ever visiting the campus. Broyles pulling Crowe off the plane headed for Clemson, to give him Hatfield's previous job, was just spite and anger...and a huge mistake. Crowe was a great offensive coordinator. We was not, and is not, a very good head coach.
After more than 30 years of consistently being a Top 20 program, running off Hatfield, hiring Crowe out of spite, and both of those things happening as Arkansas moved to a tougher conference, spelled doom for the program.
Over the last 25 years: 10 of those years have seen the Hogs have a losing record...only 3 times have the Hogs won 10 or more games...Arkansas has gone 6-9 in 15 bowl games...the Hogs have won 4 SEC West division titles, but are 0-3 in SEC Championship games, and it's been 11 years since their last appearance in the SEC title game...Bielema is Arkansas' 7th head coach in 25 years, that's an average of 3.5 years per coach (although Nutt somehow hung around for 10).
I know I am not being very favorable to my beloved Hogs, but these are facts. It is very frustrating, seeing as how Arkansas has some of the best facilities in the nation, one of the best stadiums in the nation, and one of the best fanbases in the nation. One would think that even a decent coach might be able to come in and do pretty well in that situation. This is a make or break season for Bielema. Another 6-6 or 7-5 year should not only be a fireable season, but it should not be accepted or tolerated. That is average, and no Hog fan wants mediocrity. I blame Broyles, at least partially.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hogsanity

Quote from: redleg on July 17, 2017, 09:42:22 am
The 10-3 loss to The Citadel in Fayetteville in 1992, is the lowest of the low points in Razorback football, as far as I am concerned. To lose to a Div. I-AA school on your home field is an embarrassment that can't be forgotten or erased.
In my opinion, Frank Broyles, breaking his own rule about not hiring a head coach without previous head coaching experience, by hiring Jack Crowe, was the beginning of the downfall of Hog football. As much as Coach Broyles did to elevate the University of Arkansas in his 50 years as AD and 19 years as HC, he did some serious damage as well, mostly due to his own ego.
Continuously sticking his nose in Hatfield's coaching business is what caused Ken to take the Clemson job without ever visiting the campus. Broyles pulling Crowe off the plane headed for Clemson, to give him Hatfield's previous job, was just spite and anger...and a huge mistake. Crowe was a great offensive coordinator. We was not, and is not, a very good head coach.
After more than 30 years of consistently being a Top 20 program, running off Hatfield, hiring Crowe out of spite, and both of those things happening as Arkansas moved to a tougher conference, spelled doom for the program.
Over the last 25 years: 10 of those years have seen the Hogs have a losing record...only 3 times have the Hogs won 10 or more games...Arkansas has gone 6-9 in 15 bowl games...the Hogs have won 4 SEC West division titles, but are 0-3 in SEC Championship games, and it's been 11 years since their last appearance in the SEC title game...Bielema is Arkansas' 7th head coach in 25 years, that's an average of 3.5 years per coach (although Nutt somehow hung around for 10).
I know I am not being very favorable to my beloved Hogs, but these are facts. It is very frustrating, seeing as how Arkansas has some of the best facilities in the nation, one of the best stadiums in the nation, and one of the best fanbases in the nation. One would think that even a decent coach might be able to come in and do pretty well in that situation. This is a make or break season for Bielema. Another 6-6 or 7-5 year should not only be a fireable season, but it should not be accepted or tolerated. That is average, and no Hog fan wants mediocrity. I blame Broyles, at least partially.

It must be memorable, because 25 years later yo started a thread about it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

EastexHawg

Crowe was a disaster.  His offenses, especially after Quinn Grovey graduated, made Hatfield's look like the Run n Shoot.  Everyone points to Jason Allen's injury in the Baylor game ruining the 1991 season, but we were averaging less than 16 points per game before Allen went down.  He coached 24 games with a 9-15 record.  The program was in a death spiral already, then he lost to the Citadel.  I was glad Broyles fired him.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 17, 2017, 10:52:44 am
Crowe was a disaster.  His offenses, especially after Quinn Grovey graduated, made Hatfield's look like the Run n Shoot.  Everyone points to Jason Allen's injury in the Baylor game ruining the 1991 season, but we were averaging less than 16 points per game before Allen went down.  He coached 24 games with a 9-15 record.  The program was in a death spiral already, then he lost to the Citadel.  I was glad Broyles fired him.

I like Jack Crowe as a person, hell, even as a coach a little bit later. But he was way in over his head at Arkansas. The Hatfield-Broyles feud had kinda gutted recruiting.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boog41

It's very memorable to me....just like it was last season. All memories aren't good ones.

HognitiveDissonance

-->It is very frustrating, seeing as how Arkansas has some of the best facilities in the nation, one of the best stadiums in the nation, and one of the best fanbases in the nation. One would think that even a decent coach might be able to come in and do pretty well in that situation. This is a make or break season for Bielema. Another 6-6 or 7-5 year should not only be a fireable season, but it should not be accepted or tolerated. That is average, and no Hog fan wants mediocrity. I blame Broyles, at least partially.

When do hopes and dreams compare to reality?
Yes, Arkansas has outstanding facilities. But so do other SEC schools
Yes, Arkansas has wealthy donors. But so do other SEC schools
Yes, Arkansas has rabid fans. But so do other SEC schools.
Yes, Arkansas has a nice stadium. But it's not much 'nicer' than other SEC schools, and in size it pales in comparison.

Seriously, what is unique about Arkansas than leads one to expect a decent coach can just come in here and average 9-10 wins a season? Answer: nothing.
It IS a one-show in town program, and that is unique.
But that's about it.
CBB does a good job. But he represents my point. 'Good' coaches like CBB can realistically hope to average 8 wins here.

It always comes back to recruiting territory. This is too small of a state to win consistently in football where numbers are king. It takes a truly outstanding coach to overcome that. I think we've had two: Broyles and Petrino. But make no mistake, I consider them outstanding, not merely good.

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/