Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Season Swings on Two Games

Started by Porked Tongue, July 16, 2017, 06:09:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

rhames

I would replace auburn with South Carolina.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2017, 06:11:28 pm
I would replace auburn with South Carolina.

I don't think that S. Carolina will be as big of a factor as some think.

I point to the outcome of 4 games:

TCU, A&M, Auburn and LSU.
Go Hogs Go!

Porked Tongue

An Auburn win at home carries a lot of weight and cures other things.

JMO mind you.

rhames

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 06:15:16 pm
I don't think that S. Carolina will be as big of a factor as some think.

I point to the outcome of 4 games:

TCU, A&M, Auburn and LSU.

I would throw TCU in there. South Carolina is a must win. We can lose, and most likely will, to LSU and auburn and still have a good season.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

rhames

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 16, 2017, 06:15:54 pm
An Auburn win at home carries a lot of weight and cures other things.

JMO mind you.

Oh it totally does but I don't think the season hinges on it. Of course the records of both teams by the time the game gets here could sway that either way.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

rhames

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 16, 2017, 06:18:44 pm
To me it is TCU and A&M.

The more I think about it the more I agree.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2017, 06:18:16 pm

Oh it totally does but I don't think the season hinges on it. Of course the records of both teams by the time the game gets here could sway that either way.
All opinion of course but my reasoning is that A&M has been such a thorn and Auburn will always be a biggie.

Those two wins would "help" if we fell in games like TCU or SC.

I know if I have to pick 2 of the 4 mentioned, I take the 2 I mentioned.

Of course, I want all 4 though. :)

rhames

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 16, 2017, 06:21:21 pm
All opinion of course but my reasoning is that A&M has been such a thorn and Auburn will always be a biggie.

Those two wins would "help" if we fell in games like TCU or SC.

I know if I have to pick 2 of the 4 mentioned, I take the 2 I mentioned.

Of course, I want all 4 though. :)

I feel like those are 2 different conversations. Haha. Want to win VS need to win.

I think we can all agree A&M needs to go down this year.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2017, 06:16:54 pm

I would throw TCU in there. South Carolina is a must win. We can lose, and most likely will, to LSU and auburn and still have a good season.

I'm not sure why I think this, but I believe that this will be the season of the unlikely and improbable for Arkansas. Not just because they need to win, but maybe because I think it just sets up that way. Keep in mind that 2 out of the last 4 years when it seemed like Arkansas had no chance, we had every opportunity to beat Alabama. We didn't, but the opportunity was there nonetheless. If you can beat Alabama you can beat anyone on the schedule. I just think it is our time and that the oblong ball finally takes bounces in our favor at key times.

Phil Steele said he could see us going anywhere from 5-7 to 9-4. I think I see us going anywhere from 7-5 to 10-2 depending on the odd bounce of that oblong ball.
Go Hogs Go!

247Hog

6-6 season with loss to A&M would put CBB in first place...on the coaching hot seat.

Another season under .500 in SEC.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

HiggiePiggy

Losing to TCU and Texas A&M means we are most likely 2-2 before going on the road to play South Carolina.  Also we have a bye week before playing Texas A&M. So we really need to at least win the Texas A&M game.

HamSammich

TCU

We lose that one and we may not win 5 games.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HamSammich on July 16, 2017, 07:13:01 pm
TCU

We lose that one and we may not win 5 games.

That's an over reaction

ChicoHog

I'll say A&M and SCarolina.  We win those two and we start the SEC slate at 2-0 going into Tuscaloosa.  Lose that game and we are 2-1 going into Auburn game.  I will take that right now. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: 247Hog on July 16, 2017, 06:47:53 pm
6-6 season with loss to A&M would put CBB in first place...on the coaching hot seat.

You are more than welcome to donate towards the buyout, make sure you have at least 2 comma's on that check though along with who you think will do better. 

SugarHillGaHog

To me it is TCU and A&M.

Agree.  If the team gets these two and one of LSU or Auburn it would be a fine year.  I think they can get all four if the cards are played right.

Porked Tongue

I see Auburn as an eraser of a bad loss or an accelerator to a huge season.

FANONTHEHILL

I fully subscribe to the 1-0, one game at a time or philosophy that Coach Bielema preaches.  I try not to look ahead.  That being said, the team needs to make a statement that they are physically and mentally tougher than they showed in 2016.  In my opinion, that opportunity comes September 23rd in Arlington against A&M. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rljjr

Being 4-0 in the non-conference is the first must, but beating aTm and USC and starting the conference season 2-0 is absolutely critical and could set the tone for a 9-10 type season. We all know the struggles with Aggie of late, so that's my first critical game. Going on the road to Cocky is also big, but not as mentally challenging as beating the Ags has been.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 16, 2017, 07:50:45 pm
I fully subscribe to the 1-0, one game at a time or philosophy that Coach Bielema preaches.  I try not to look ahead.  That being said, the team needs to make a statement that they are physically and mentally tougher than they showed in 2016.  In my opinion, that opportunity comes September 23rd in Arlington against A&M. 

Well if the team starts off 0-1 then I am pretty sure this place would be shut down for a couple of days because people would be extremely pissed.   

ATU HOG

TCU and A&M

Loser of the A&M game, I think the coach will be gone at the end of the year.  Might finally be the year we beat them.

USC should be a win.  They aren't a contender in the East.

Auburn, LSU, and Bama I see us struggling with as I think they'll finish 1,2, and 3 in the West.

PossumFan

By opening day, I'm always pretty sure we'll go undefeated. Sipping Kool-Aid and pumping sunshine while wearing cardinal-colored glasses.

swineology

swineology

Quote from: 247Hog on July 16, 2017, 06:47:53 pm

Member win Coach B won 5 SEC games

Member?

widespreadsooie

A&M absolutely. I would throw in South Carolina and Mississippi St. before Auburn though, just because Auburn's expectations are so high for the season. If those expectations pan out then a loss to them isn't so bad.

widespreadsooie

Why am I not concerned about TCU? TCU was atrocious last season. What am I missing?

TeufelHog

Bielema and Staff have 2 weeks to prep for aTm.  If we lose that game after a bye week a 6-6 season is a real possibility IMO.

Porked Tongue

"Swing" is the key word in my OP.

But I don't disagree that other games have strong meaning.

rhames

HamSammich

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 16, 2017, 09:05:47 pm
Why am I not concerned about TCU? TCU was atrocious last season. What am I missing?

You are missing research.

TCU lost the least amount of production in p5 schoools this year.
TCU won 23 games in 2014-15
TCU added Sonny Dykes and Sonny Cumbie is considered one of the brightest young coaches in the US.

Not afraid of dykes? You forgot what Texas friggin Tech did to us then talked smack about afterwards? Will we win? I dunno. But I'm smart enough to research all the teams before I put out an ignorant blanket statement.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 16, 2017, 07:56:39 pm
Well if the team starts off 0-1 then I am pretty sure this place would be shut down for a couple of days because people would be extremely pissed.   

Extremely pissed probably doesn't even come close to what would be. Jeff Long would be lucky to just be fired.

PonderinHog

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogninja

To me it is TCU and A&M.
I agree, this will tell us the health of our program.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

To me it is TCU and A&M.
Agreed. This is what I though as soon as I saw the title of the thread. Those 2 games set the tone for the rest of the season
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Großer Kriegschwein

We'll know real quick whether the 3-4 will help us win against spread teams after the TCU game.
This is my non-signature signature.

JIHawg

You guys short selling or down playing Auburn haven't been paying attention.  I see them in the top five, along with Bama.  I see three losses, Bama, Auburn, and LSU.  We can and need to win all the rest.

Al Boarland

Has to be the MS schools, IMO. Toss up games that we need to win to have a decent season.

LZH

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HamSammich on July 16, 2017, 09:27:45 pm

TCU added Sonny Dykes and Sonny Cumbie is considered one of the brightest young coaches in the US.

Not afraid of dykes? You forgot what Texas friggin Tech did to us then talked smack about afterwards? Will we win? I dunno. But I'm smart enough to research all the teams before I put out an ignorant blanket statement.

Ignorant blanket statement? I asked a question, bud. So what if TCU won 23 games between 2014-2015? Completely irrelevant. They're coming off a 6-7 season with some pretty ugly losses. They only averaged 16.5 points per game over their final four and I'm supposed to be worried about returning "production?" This is also the same team who beat Kansas by one point. Beat A&M and a loss to TCU becomes easy to forget. 

SRV

To me it is TCU and A&M.
I agree. If we win both of those games, we probably have something pretty good working.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

prattville pig

Williams-Brice is a very hard road trip, and the place will be rockin the day we're there.
Life's too short to last long.

Steef

GuvHog

Quote from: HamSammich on July 16, 2017, 09:27:45 pm

Sonny Dykes hasn't been at Texas Tech since 2010 and his last coaching job was at the University of California where he was fired. No, I'm not scared of Sonny Dykes.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 16, 2017, 06:09:28 pm
A&M & Auburn

Need both.

I think it'll be TCU and A & M.  If we win both, that'll be a good sign.  If we split again, it's more of the same nonsense.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 17, 2017, 09:21:38 am
I think it'll be TCU and A & M.  If we win both, that'll be a good sign.  If we split again, it's more of the same nonsense.
If we lose to TCU and beat AUB do you consider that to be better?

Letsroll1200

A&M and Auburn are must win games for Bret. Gus is 3-1 against the Razorbacks since Bret became coach and Arkansas only win was a overtime thriller. A&M is treating the Razorbacks like a homecoming opponent. With Kevin Sumlin being on the hot seat going into this season, the Razorbacks can not afford the mental breakdowns that has caused them at least two wins vs. A&M.