Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Whaley the main running back now?

Started by Michael_E_Davis, July 15, 2017, 08:35:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_E_Davis

Sorry if this has been answered,  but I don't pay much attention to football news during the Summer.  Is he expected to be it,  or is there any other running backs that have stepped up?
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Großer Kriegschwein

That would be the natural expectation from everyone.

Has had a year to learn the offense and blocking responsibilities critical of our starting running back.

I seriously doubt that he will be overtaken in camp.
This is my non-signature signature.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 16, 2017, 04:09:59 am
No he isn't.

He's probably not THE main running back, but he is the Razorbacks' main running back.

goodguytex

The grad transfer from south Carolina is a talented back with a lot of experience playing in the SEC. He's going to be a great backup to Whaley I think. But I do think Whaley's well in the lead for the bulk of the carries unless he proves ineffective.

sickboy

Whaley is RB1 right now. There might be a RB1A and RB1B come season, but right now it's Whaley.

WilsonHog

Devwah certainly has the advantage over Maleek or David, just from being in the program for a year. Plus, he has a nice burst and some shiftiness in the open field. However, I hope we see a return to a more equal division of the workload, like we had with JWill and Buddha. RWIII carried the bulk of the load for us last year, but I think we need at least two reliable backs to withstand the wear and tear of the SEC.

AirWarren

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 16, 2017, 12:23:49 pm
Devwah certainly has the advantage over Maleek or David, just from being in the program for a year. Plus, he has a nice burst and some shiftiness in the open field. However, I hope we see a return to a more equal division of the workload, like we had with JWill and Buddha. RWIII carried the bulk of the load for us last year, but I think we need at least two reliable backs to withstand the wear and tear of the SEC.

I'm hoping maleek, David, and chase surprise all of us this year. We will find out for sure if they will be premier backs in the sec. That's one position where youth doesn't matter.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: AP85 on July 16, 2017, 04:58:49 pm
I'm hoping maleek, David, and chase surprise all of us this year. We will find out for sure if they will be premier backs in the sec. That's one position where youth doesn't matter.

Well yes and no. Certainly great talent is going to make great plays at an early age at RB and you will see flashes of exceptional talent. But, in our system a RB also has to be not only able to block, but know who to block and how to adjust to calls at the LOS in that process. Not being able to be an effective blocker in our system will limit your touches every time. So there is more to it than being a big play maker once you break the LOS, though that is a valuable trait.
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

Not having a handle on blocking responsibilities will keep you on the bench more often than not in a pro-style offense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 16, 2017, 05:06:05 pm
Not having a handle on blocking responsibilities will keep you on the bench more often than not in a pro-style offense.

Agreed and you have to learn to read "the creases" for cut-backs as they develop. We even had RW III miss the "crease" or "hole" last year vs. A&M that would have allowed him a path into the EZ. He made a mis-read and was tackled short of the EZ. That is another factor as well.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 05:02:27 pm
Well yes and no. Certainly great talent is going to make great plays at an early age at RB and you will see flashes of exceptional talent. But, in our system a RB also has to be not only able to block, but know who to block and how to adjust to calls at the LOS in that process. Not being able to be an effective blocker in our system will limit your touches every time. So there is more to it than being a big play maker once you break the LOS, though that is a valuable trait.

I think DW's average per yard was as much or more than RWIII. So conventional wisdom would say DW should have carried the ball the most.

But as you point out he was still learning the blocking schemes. JUST running the rock will not get you a starting position within CDE's system.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 16, 2017, 05:14:35 pm
I think DW's average per yard was as much or more than RWIII. So conventional wisdom would say DW should have carried the ball the most.

But as you point out he was still learning the blocking schemes. JUST running the rock will not get you a starting position within CDE's system.

RW III: 5.55 yds p/rush
Whaley: 5.47 yds p/rush

Both good.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 05:23:21 pm

Both good.

Dang, my memory fails me again. I'm not doing this aging thing very well.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

threeNout

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 05:23:21 pm

Both good.

yep,  and it might be more fair to compare freshmen years.  Did RWIII avg. over 5 yds as a freshman?

factchecker

Quote from: threeNout on July 16, 2017, 05:53:15 pm
yep,  and it might be more fair to compare freshmen years.  Did RWIII avg. over 5 yds as a freshman?

Nope.

RWIII 2015 (freshman) stats: 56 carries - 254 yards - 4.54 YPC - 1 TD
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Cure

Whaley is the main back, but Maleek will be very difficult to deal with for opposing defenses.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Großer Kriegschwein

So I hear.

I hope we have 3 thousand yard rushers this year. I hope to see us throw the ball maybe 25-30 times and run 40-45 times.

That will take some pressure off Austin and maximize the talent we have on the OL.

Mike_e

Frankly I hope they've been practicing some shotgun sets.  Austin needs to be healthy for us to have any chance at a good season and seeing the rush will help.  Plus, handing off to the halfback after scanning the receivers is almost like a scramble except -you know- not getting your quarterback killed.

The old split backs out of the shotgun would be interesting too.  Release one to wheel and the other to stay and block or take the handoff would be a nice option to have especially if you have a speedster in there as a wheelman -Hammonds anyone?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

HOGINTENNESSEE

That's one position where youth doesn't matter.

I would agree with it matters the least. But even at RB youth does matter

RazorPiggie

Quote from: factchecker on July 16, 2017, 07:25:30 pm
Nope.

RWIII 2015 (freshman) stats: 56 carries - 254 yards - 4.54 YPC - 1 TD

But did have a neck injury and miss the final 6 games.

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 16, 2017, 09:11:53 pm
I would agree with it matters the least. But even at RB youth does matter

It didn't matter to a guy named McFadden.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Paul

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 17, 2017, 09:39:33 am
Boys, when this whaley kid is done you may be talking about him being #2 all time behind dmac. This kid is special. Raw power, speed, and explosiveness.
he flashed his talent during the the FL game.

LZH

Quote from: Mike_e on July 16, 2017, 09:01:39 pm
Frankly I hope they've been practicing some shotgun sets.  Austin needs to be healthy for us to have any chance at a good season and seeing the rush will help.  Plus, handing off to the halfback after scanning the receivers is almost like a scramble except -you know- not getting your quarterback killed.

The old split backs out of the shotgun would be interesting too.  Release one to wheel and the other to stay and block or take the handoff would be a nice option to have especially if you have a speedster in there as a wheelman -Hammonds anyone?

"I like the way you talk".....

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GuvHog on July 17, 2017, 09:34:51 am

His big toe says otherwise.

Not to mention that he was rarely asked to pass block. We handed the ball off to him 70% of the time, the other 30% he was running a route.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 17, 2017, 05:49:39 pm
His big toe says otherwise.

Not to mention that he was rarely asked to pass block. We handed the ball off to him 70% of the time, the other 30% he was running a route.
But he was asked to pass sometimes, so you may need to adjust your %'s a little.

KlubhouseKonnected

When you throw the ball 8-10 times a game rb pass blocking needs less polish
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on July 17, 2017, 09:19:43 pm
But he was asked to pass sometimes, so you may need to adjust your %'s a little.

I was rounding up.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I must have missed where his Freshman year was better than the next two

GuvHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 17, 2017, 10:45:38 pm
I must have missed where his Freshman year was better than the next two

His freshman year wasn't as good as his last 2 because Hooty didn't start him until after the loss to Vandy.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 05:02:27 pm
and get your qb killed
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

secneahog

Come on you guys, use your brain.

Devwah will be #1.  Over 1000
Maleek/Hammonds/Grad transfer/Hayden. 

That will be the chart. 

Qb got killed from the inexperience at oline       
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

nwahogfan1

RBs in our offense is allowed a lot of freedom in choosing the best hole to run through and many times it is not th hole where the play is called.   So much is instincts that is born in a player.  That is the reason we see so many freshmen RBs do well.  So we will see.  The big problem with freshmen RBs is blocking so that is where I am glad we signed the sr transfer.  I hope he does well and is a great leader.

moses_007

I think David Williams, the grad transfer from South Carolina, may very well earn the #1 running back spot.  Williams is a good runner, and a very good receiver out of the backfield as well.

Hogopolis

David Williams will not be the RB1.   If he is Arkansas is in big trouble.  Whaley will be 1.  Mallick, chase and  TJ will be 2a, 2b, and 2c.

Laughing Hog

Devwah 1
Hammonds 2a
Maleek 2b
Hayden 2c
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

jgphillips3

Today, Whaley is #1 and it's not even close.  By mid-season we may be back to having 1A and 1B the way we want to, but that's hard to predict.  Whaley has all the natural talent to put himself into the top 5 backs in Razorback history.  If he lives up to potential, the next two years are going to be a lot of fun to watch. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2017, 05:41:17 am

Yeah. Lol he is.

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on July 16, 2017, 07:56:29 am
He's probably not THE main running back, but he is the Razorbacks' main running back.

Sorry.  I considered the question so absurd I responded with sarcasm.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bennyl08

Quote from: Laughing Hog on July 21, 2017, 06:25:10 am
Devwah 1
Hammonds 2a
Maleek 2b
Hayden 2c

Early season
Devwah 1
Maleek 2
Hamonds/Williams 3

Late seasons
Devwah 1a
Maleek 1b
Hammonds/Williams 2

Hayden: Redshirt
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse