Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting SEC Revenue and Profit Numbers

Started by WilsonHog, July 15, 2017, 06:13:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

With the money Tenner makes and as tight in the posterior they are IF they ever loosened up a bit they might get some of those elusive wins they pay for, don't get, yet want..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Bacons Rebellion

That is interesting. Thanks.

I'm always suspicious of these sorts of numbers, though, because there are so many sly accounting practices universities can use to manipulate them.

Hogwild

amazing that some schools' profits are 600% higher

QuoteThe top seven teams in the league combined last year to produce more than $654 million in revenue. The bottom seven made less than $350 million.

All seven of the bottom teams in revenue have losing or .500 league records in that span, including Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri and Vanderbilt.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on July 15, 2017, 08:25:39 pm

50% more seating at some of those schools explains most of it.

crayola99

Not sure where u get 600% higher.  Regardless, these numbers are bogus.  No way Tenn only had 29 million in expenses.

greasy_corner

Quote from: crayola99 on July 15, 2017, 09:39:30 pm
Not sure where u get 600% higher.  Regardless, these numbers are bogus.  No way Tenn only had 29 million in expenses.

He's talking MU's profit vs. TN's profit.  Why would you think the big orange suck had more football expenses?  I know they have a large recruiting budget, but that fits easily in the $29M. 

greasy_corner

IIRC, we're also around middle of the pack in overall sports revenue in the conf, but near the top in overall profit for all sports. 

EastexHawg

You couldn't lose money running the athletic department at Arkansas if you tried.  SEC membership guarantees profits no matter how well run or successful on the field any school is.  Throw in the number of large, Razorback friendly corporations in Arkansas and an organ grinder monkey could look good running the department.

Oklahawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 15, 2017, 10:02:25 pm
Throw in the number of large, Razorback friendly corporations in Arkansas and an organ grinder monkey could look good running the department.

I believe our organ grinder monkey just sued Ole Miss. Well, former monkey.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dark Helmet Hog

Too bad they can't include the bag man budgets.

Murr

These numbers seem way off from revenue returns Published by USA Today. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

ricepig

Quote from: Murr on July 16, 2017, 12:32:25 pm
These numbers seem way off from revenue returns Published by USA Today. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

One is football budget, the other is total athletic department budget.

Hogwild

Quote from: crayola99 on July 15, 2017, 09:39:30 pm

Missouri had a profit of $13.5 million, increase that by 600% and you get $81 million (Tennessee's profits)