Al Boarland

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

IMO 7 wins and 5th or 6th in west.

How did the vols get placed so high?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2017, 10:44:11 am
In the West......

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/885877035129647104

I would be happy but I think their record of picking is pretty bad. Yet, I would take a #4 this year when you consider we are installing a new D.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

daBoar

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 15, 2017, 07:21:15 am
I would be happy but I think their record of picking is pretty bad. Yet, I would take a #4 this year when you consider we are installing a new D.
This is a good year to be playing the SEC East teams. Missou at home and USCe in year 2 of the Muschump years.  I like playing Auburn at home.  Additionally, we're playing Bama and LSU on the road, those would likely be losses at home anyway. Throw in TCU at home and TAMU going with a new QB.........it's as good as a schedule as I can hope for......with this version of the Hogs. 

A prediction of #4 in the West probably means 4-4 to most folks, but I can see 5-3 in the SEC this season.

HiggiePiggy

Can someone tell me why LSU is most likely a loss to people?  We are 5-5 over the last 10 years with them. I understand they got rid of Less so that might make some feel like we won't beat them anymore, but man we have played them very well majority of the time we face them. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

gchamblee

Quote from: 12247 on July 14, 2017, 07:26:37 pm
Honestly, I thought we would be 5th in the West with A&M ahead of us.  I cannot see even 1 non-homer reason we should be picked over A&M for fourth place.  We cut down their coach every season but his team finds a way to come back and beat us every year.  Does A&M just have that much luck or does the coach have a little bit of knowledge.  I would agree that A&M should be better on average than they are but I would also say that about the Hogs and so far neither have shown they are.

Maybe they agree with you that CBB is actually going to try hard this year so he can get a new contract extension?

bphi11ips

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2017, 08:48:54 am
Can someone tell me why LSU is most likely a loss to people?  We are 5-5 over the last 10 years with them. I understand they got rid of Less so that might make some feel like we won't beat them anymore, but man we have played them very well majority of the time we face them. 

Seriously?

Arkansas is 3-9 in Baton Rouge since joining the SEC.

LSU beat Arkansas 38-10 last year in Fayetteville.  Derrius Guice rushed for 252 yards and returns . So does QB Danny Etling.

LSU is 10 in ESPN's preseason FPI.  Arkansas is 38.

Everything could change between now and November 11, but even most homers here like me have a hard time seeing a win at LSU.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 15, 2017, 09:51:11 am
Seriously?

LSU beat Arkansas 38-10 last year in Fayetteville.  Derrius Guice rushed for 252 yards and returns . So does QB Danny Etling.

Everything could change between now and November 11, but even most homers here like me have a hard time seeing a win at LSU.

I don't see a win. I just don't count that game as a loss because of our history with LSU.  Alabama on the other hand i count as a loss. The sec is Alabama then everyone else is pretty much in the middle.

GuvHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2017, 09:59:11 am
I don't see a win. I just don't count that game as a loss because of our history with LSU.  Alabama on the other hand i count as a loss. The sec is Alabama then everyone else is pretty much in the middle.

Since 2008, the Hogs are 4-5 overall against LSU. The Tigers haven't exactly dominated the series the last 9 years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 15, 2017, 09:51:11 am
Seriously?

These are strange times that we are living in and odd things tend to happen when we least expect them to happen.

I never expected Bielema to show up and not win an SEC game in 2013. I just thought that was really odd despite having to reorganize and rebuild a team. Just odd.

I also never expected our defense to be as good as it was in 2014. And of course, we lost 3 games, maybe even 4 that year (including Alabama) that we shouldn't have lost and really we should have been at least 9-3 going into our bowl game instead of 6-6. Again, odd.

After the defensive showing in 2014 I certainly thought that we were on the right road in building the team, but then we lose 3 in a row in 2015 that again, should not have been losses and another loss that should not have happened against Miss State. Once again, what should have been a 10 or 11 win season ends up being an 7 win regular season. Just odd, really odd.

2016 I won't even go into except to say that the way that season played out and ended was again, you know what I am going to say, just frickin odd.

So we head into the 2017 season and the team, the staff and the fans have a bad taste that remains in their mouths after the way 2016 ended. Questions linger about the defense, losing a starting RB, questions remain about the O-Line and no one really gives us much of a chance to win more than 6, 7, 8 games.

This would be just about the right and most unexpected time that the worm turns for the Hogs and they surprise everyone. No one can really, with any degree of certainty, predict what is going to happen after the string of odd things that we have witnessed the last 4 years. I just have a feeling that something "odd" is going to happen this season as well but this time, "odd" in a good way.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2017, 08:48:54 am

Before the season starts I give the W to the team that recruits better.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 15, 2017, 11:03:03 am
Dodd is not a fan. Never has been.

They aren't suppposed to be fans.  If they were they would have the hogs winning 9 games like a large group of posters on hogville. These guys have no reason not to call it like they see it on the Hogs.  Hog fans, on the other hand, will make assumptions looking through the lens of a fan.  Nothing wrong with that other than leading you be wrong more than not.

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 15, 2017, 10:47:21 am
These are strange times that we are living in and odd things tend to happen when we least expect them to happen.

I never expected Bielema to show up and not win an SEC game in 2013. I just thought that was really odd despite having to reorganize and rebuild a team. Just odd.

I also never expected our defense to be as good as it was in 2014. And of course, we lost 3 games, maybe even 4 that year (including Alabama) that we shouldn't have lost and really we should have been at least 9-3 going into our bowl game instead of 6-6. Again, odd.

After the defensive showing in 2014 I certainly thought that we were on the right road in building the team, but then we lose 3 in a row in 2015 that again, should not have been losses and another loss that should not have happened against Miss State. Once again, what should have been a 10 or 11 win season ends up being an 7 win regular season. Just odd, really odd.

2016 I won't even go into except to say that the way that season played out and ended was again, you know what I am going to say, just frickin odd.

So we head into the 2017 season and the team, the staff and the fans have a bad taste that remains in their mouths after the way 2016 ended. Questions linger about the defense, losing a starting RB, questions remain about the O-Line and no one really gives us much of a chance to win more than 6, 7, 8 games.

This would be just about the right and most unexpected time that the worm turns for the Hogs and they surprise everyone. No one can really, with any degree of certainty, predict what is going to happen after the string of odd things that we have witnessed the last 4 years. I just have a feeling that something "odd" is going to happen this season as well but this time, "odd" in a good way.

I get it.  But isn't this a thread about SEC media's predictions?  As bad as we want to believe this might be the magical year, there are three teams on our schedule we're not likely to beat.  Given that ESPN's computers have us last in the West in its FPI, the media obviously share our belief in the intangibles.  Their voting us ahead of A&M, Ole Miss and Ms. State is recognition of our 5th year QB and some sense that Bret Bielema and Arkansas are due.  But voting us ahead of the other three would be a stretch to say the least. That doesn't mean we won't finish better than fourth.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 15, 2017, 12:04:21 pm
I get it.  But isn't this a thread about SEC media's predictions?  As bad as we want to believe this might be the magical year, there are three teams on our schedule we're not likely to beat.  Given that ESPN's computers have us last in the West in its FPI, the media obviously share our belief in the intangibles.  Their voting us ahead of A&M, Ole Miss and Ms. State is recognition of our 5th year QB and some sense that Bret Bielema and Arkansas are due.  But voting us ahead of the other three would be a stretch to say the least. That doesn't mean we won't finish better than fourth.
Agreed.  If CBB gets this team to 4th in the West he would have done a pretty good job coaching.  This probably one of the better teams he will ever have while steering this ship, so he should be able to get this team to middle of the pack in the SEC.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 15, 2017, 12:04:21 pm

My little commentary there didn't have anything to do with ESPN, Phil Steele, Athlon, CBS or anyone else. Sure, we count Alabama as a certain loss, but despite our shortcomings the past 4 seasons, there have been two occasions, 2014 in RRS and 2015 at Alabama that we had our chances to beat them and probably should have. Now if we can be competitive with Alabama, there isn't anyone on our schedule that we can't beat. Are the odds against us? Of course, but when aren't the odds against us most of the time?

And, I have no rock hard analysis to base my feeling that something odd...in a good way, may happen for this team this year. We'll just have to see what happens but I have a feeling that it is going to be better than we anticipate.
Go Hogs Go!

TNRazorbacker

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2017, 12:09:48 pm
Agreed.  If CBB gets this team to 4th in the West he would have done a pretty good job coaching.  This probably one of the better teams he will ever have while steering this ship, so he should be able to get this team to middle of the pack in the SEC.

I disagree with your last sentence and think the foundation is built for sustaining fourth and higher.  College football is cyclical.  Bret Bielema's philosophy and approach to recruiting is the only way to build long term success.  As long as we are in the SEC West we will face the challenge of competing with teams that have inherent advantages, but that doesn't doom us to mediocrity. 

I think the premium seating in the north end zone is window dressing for the new athlete and coaches' facilities and was the only way to finance them.  The latter will help with recruiting.  I can tell you based on personal experience that the recruiting experience our coaches are giving athletes is head and shoulders above what they are seeing from other schools. 

Frank Broyles built the program with vision and sound football. He didn't inherit the problems Bret Bielema inherited.  Everyone realizes that was a different era, but Bielema did take over a program with a tradition that Broyles didn't have.  That tradition has been eroded in the minds of young fans, but it can be reinforced with some good years.  Hopefully this seasom will be another building block.  Take away the last two halves of the last two games of 2016 and the trajectory is there. 

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 15, 2017, 10:47:21 am

No such thing as games that "we shouldn't have lost" and there is an awful lot of those mentioned in this post. Either you are good enough to pull a game out or you aren't. Teams that are deserving of a win tend to get one.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 15, 2017, 12:40:14 pm
No such thing as games that "we shouldn't have lost" and there is an awful lot of those mentioned in this post. Either you are good enough to pull a game out or you aren't. Teams that are deserving of a win tend to get one.

Well, you have your opinion. I have mine.
Go Hogs Go!

870hogfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 15, 2017, 12:36:51 pm
I disagree with your last sentence and think the foundation is built for sustaining fourth and higher.  College football is cyclical.  Bret Bielema's philosophy and approach to recruiting is the only way to build long term success.  As long as we are in the SEC West we will face the challenge of competing with teams that have inherent advantages, but that doesn't doom us to mediocrity. 

I think the premium seating in the north end zone is window dressing for the new athlete and coaches' facilities and was the only way to finance them.  The latter will help with recruiting.  I can tell you based on personal experience that the recruiting experience our coaches are giving athletes is head and shoulders above what they are seeing from other schools. 

Frank Broyles built the program with vision and sound football. He didn't inherit the problems Bret Bielema inherited.  Everyone realizes that was a different era, but Bielema did take over a program with a tradition that Broyles didn't have.  That tradition has been eroded in the minds of young fans, but it can be reinforced with some good years.  Hopefully this seasom will be another building block.  Take away the last two halves of the last two games of 2016 and the trajectory is there.

Good post.

TheRazorback500

Eight teams we play this year have an overall talent advantage. I'd take 4th for sure.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2017, 11:58:43 am

So you will always pick Arkansas to finish 5th or 6th every year then. Is this correct?  If so then why do you even bother being a fan of Arkansas?  Arkansas will never out recruit Alabama, auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M. We will sometimes out recruit ole miss and most times out recruit Mississippi State. 

870hogfan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2017, 11:58:43 am

Guess Arkansas should not even field a team then if you go by these recruiting rankings...

Al Boarland

July 15, 2017, 01:41:48 pm #74 Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:18:57 pm by Al Boarland
Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2017, 01:32:15 pm
So you will always pick Arkansas to finish 5th or 6th every year then. Is this correct?  If so then why do you even bother being a fan of Arkansas?  Arkansas will never out recruit Alabama, auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M. We will sometimes out recruit ole miss and most times out recruit Mississippi State.

Sometimes there are other factors. That doesn't mean after the season starts I don't pick the Hogs to win a game after looking at the matchups.

I've said it many times. Most of the time the more talented team wins. If you want to be right more than you're are hopeful go with the talent.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 15, 2017, 01:38:32 pm

Guess Arkansas should not even field a team then if you go by these recruiting rankings...

No, I think they should. Team sports are great for personal development.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2017, 01:41:48 pm
Sometimes there are other factors. That doesn't mean after the season starts I don't pick the Hogs to win a game after looking st the matchups.

I've said it many times. Most of the time the more talented team wins. If you want to be right more than your are hopeful go with the talent.

The better coached team usually wins. There have been a lot of talented teams get beat.

TDHawgs

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2017, 01:32:15 pm
That's because we've been beat down so much that most rational people realize that it's what we are as a team. Ole Miss did what it took to step it up, but got caught. It's sad, but if you don't cheat you don't get top players and that's just the cold hard truth. That being said.. I'm still gonna root for my team and hope someday we become relevant again, but I can't just buy into all the hype our media does before the season anymore.

ricepig

Quote from: TDHawgs on July 15, 2017, 02:20:35 pm
That's because we've been beat down so much that most rational people realize that it's what we are as a team. Ole Miss did what it took to step it up, but got caught. It's sad, but if you don't cheat you don't get top players and that's just the cold hard truth. That being said.. I'm still gonna root for my team and hope someday we become relevant again, but I can't just buy into all the hype our media does before the season anymore.

Media everywhere hypes their teams up, it's called ad dollars and viewers. This was the media from the different conference schools, it's reasonable.

The_Iceman

hogcard1964

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2017, 12:03:34 pm
They aren't suppposed to be fans.  If they were they would have the hogs winning 9 games like a large group of posters on hogville. These guys have no reason not to call it like they see it on the Hogs.  Hog fans, on the other hand, will make assumptions looking through the lens of a fan.  Nothing wrong with that other than leading you be wrong more than not.

Point being he dislikes us.  A lot.

Großer Kriegschwein

There's just too many question marks right now to pick us any higher than 4th or 5th.

-not having played a down of 3-4 yet
-how solid are we at WR
-losing the most productive RB on the team (I agree we have enough talent there, but it's unproven)
-depth at linebacker
-depth on the OL

I agree that if there is a coach that can install a new defense and make it work, Paul Rhoads is probably that dude.
This is my non-signature signature.

HiggiePiggy

The coaching in the SEC has gone down quite a bit in the past 5 years. Right now in my opinion the top 2 coaches are Saban then Mullen.  And Mullen has probably the worst team in sec history probably close between Mississippi State and Vanderbilt. After those 2 it probably goes to Butch(Tennessee) Bret(Arkansas), Kevin(Texas A&M), Gus(Auburn). The list of coaching in the SEC has gotten pretty bad compared to what it was.

So really anything after Alabama being first is pretty much a toss up. Who knows about the east. All of those teams are close to even.

Al Boarland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2017, 01:49:50 pm
The better coached team usually wins. There have been a lot of talented teams get beat.

You have a point, but can you point to where CBB is a decided coaching advantage? I can't think of a game I would change going by talent. Maybe LSU?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2017, 04:21:10 pm
You have a point, but can you point to where CBB is a decided coaching advantage? I can't think of a game I would change going by talent. Maybe LSU?

I agree CBB hasn't proven anything to me yet, but the league as a whole has been going down ward when it comes to coaching. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2017, 09:59:11 am

I'm with ya. I didn't catch it during the live broadcast but a few months ago I rewatched the 2015 game. The opening comments were Les Miles and the Tigers are 60-2 at home. I thought nope 60-3 now.  ;D

Not 100% sure of the record, but it was a rediculously good record, so anything can happen. It sure as heck is not an automatic write-off like Bama.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DeltaBoy

40 years + of watching and listening to the Hogs we get snakebit someway somehow!  We are the Cubs of College football!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AirWarren

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PorkSoda

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 15, 2017, 05:12:25 pm
40 years + of watching and listening to the Hogs we get snakebit someway somehow!  We are the Cubs of College football!

didn't the cubs eventually win something?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

presidenthog

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 15, 2017, 07:46:57 pm

Yep. Last year I believe. We are closer to the Cleveland browns.

AirWarren

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 15, 2017, 07:46:57 pm

Ok fine. We are the Cleveland browns haha.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: AP85 on July 15, 2017, 10:50:09 pm
Ok fine. We are the Cleveland browns haha.

The Browns or Cubs analogy isn't a good one. Those are professional franchises in leagues having a lot more parity top to bottom. They largely have access to the same pool of talent as every other team. To consistently underperform year after year (or decade after decade) in this environment is truly noteworthy and head scratching, at least to the lay fan. It's not hard to understand why it comes to be blamed on a superstition.

Rather I think we are better compared to numerous middling college programs across the country that are neither bad nor great. The meat and potatoes of most leagues. They go to a bowl most years, occasionally a good one in a splash year. They'll very rarely win the conference and never compete for a Natty. When you dig into the why's disadvantages around things like resources and recruiting are clearly more of a factor. The glass ceiling is much more tangible than a mere curse.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: soso on July 14, 2017, 11:14:33 am
More telling was only two players Ragnow(1st team) and Allen (3rd) on the the three team preseason all SEC. Talent disparity anyone?

Perception disparity is more likely...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on July 16, 2017, 07:49:20 am
Perception disparity is more likely...

Possibly, but the last time we had this few players picked preseason all SEC was 2008, and we sucked to confirm it. Only one that year but they only picked two teams deep then. I'd say at minimum it indicates your proven talent is lacking.

HamSammich

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2017, 11:10:04 am
Nope, not this year, write it down, bet the farm, get a tattoo, we'll finish ahead of the Ags.

Great idea!!!

Design me a tattoo and I'll pay one of my employees to do it this month.