Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs picked to finish 4th by the media

Started by ricepig, July 14, 2017, 10:44:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Razorbackers

I mean that's about accurate. That could be an 8-9 win season with a bowl win, which is a pretty good season.

Al Boarland

Those guys have no idea what they're talking about.

-Hogville

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

TNhawgfan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 14, 2017, 11:01:53 am
Dennis Dodd has us dead last in the west and the other CBS writer who was there has us 6th
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

King Kong

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 14, 2017, 10:57:24 am

-Hogville

The media says that about themselves

runninhog

6th would be a disaster. I think we do better than 4th, but we'll see.

ricepig

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 14, 2017, 11:02:20 am
Close, but aTm will finish ahead of us

Nope, not this year, write it down, bet the farm, get a tattoo, we'll finish ahead of the Ags.

cosmodrum

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2017, 11:10:04 am
Nope, not this year, write it down, bet the farm, get a tattoo, we'll finish ahead of the Ags.

I'd like to believe that...
Go away, batin'

Razorbackers

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2017, 11:10:04 am

Doesn't mean we beat em lol

ricepig

soso

More telling was only two players Ragnow(1st team) and Allen (3rd) on the the three team preseason all SEC. Talent disparity anyone?

HF#1

Gotta love preseason picks. Soooo delusional.  We finish higher than 6th in the league and I'll be surprised.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bphi11ips

Quote from: soso on July 14, 2017, 11:14:33 am
More telling was only two players Ragnow(1st team) and Allen (3rd) on the the three team preseason all SEC. Talent disparity anyone?

That was based upon last year and upon who left.  The only All-SEC team that matters is the one at the end of the year.  We have a lot of players who could land on that team - Agim, Greenlaw, Pulley, Froholdt, Cornelius, Martin, Whaley to name a few.  Most or all of those will have good numbers.  All but Greenlaw and Pulley have the recruiting pedigree.

I'm a bit surprised Arkansas was picked ahead of A&M, but that shows the voting media have some collective sense, because they should be.  A&M would have been an easy knee jerk reaction.  Maybe the honeymoon is over. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GuvHog

They lost several Impact players on both sides of the ball from last year's team and are still looking for a QB to step up and take the #1 spot. They have no QB the caliber of their last year's QB, Trevor Knight. I don't see A&M finishing ahead of the Hogs.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on July 14, 2017, 10:55:52 am
I mean that's about accurate. That could be an 8-9 win season with a bowl win, which is a pretty good season.

Yeah, it makes me feel even better about my 9-3 regular season projection. The SEC media is rarely ever kind to the Hogs.

Been10Hog

Quote from: soso on July 14, 2017, 11:14:33 am
Hopefully, coaches will use that to motivate the defense. None in top 3 teams

NorthDallas40

Awesome! Maybe in Bielema year 10 we will move up to being picked for second!

go hogues

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2017, 12:13:35 pm
They lost several Impact players on both sides of the ball from last year's team and are still looking for a QB to step up and take the #1 spot. They have no QB the caliber of their last year's QB, Trevor Knight. I don't see A&M finishing ahead of the Hogs.
No doubt they are already negotiating with Chip Kelley.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogginintheville

JIHawg

Who gave Arkansas the 1 vote to win the west?  Was it a joke?

RME

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2017, 10:44:41 am
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/885879050341953536

The term "troll" is thrown around pretty liberally on this site and loses its meaning. But whatever media member trolled by voting for Vandy to win the SEC is my new favorite journalist. That's awesome.

DeltaBoy

If we don't at least finish at 4th it time to send the AD packing !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sowmonella

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 14, 2017, 01:03:30 pm

You sir have issues.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Seebs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 14, 2017, 01:03:30 pm

I feel like I need to roll up a newspaper and wield it every time I get to one of your posts.  Now start using the puppy pads.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 14, 2017, 10:57:24 am

-Hogville
You got that right.

nchogg

The proof is in the pudding. We will have to just wait and see. I love my hogs and expect more than 4th in the sec west and more in the sec. The season has not started but the media always put us at the bottom. Go Hogs prove them wrong.

colbs

Quote from: Surfing8 on July 14, 2017, 12:39:34 pm
Just listening to the AD over there - it's clear they care about winning above a level resembling mediocrity. 
A&M pretty much equals mediocrity.  For the talent and money they have to say they have underachieved is an understatement.

bphi11ips

Quote from: nchogg on July 14, 2017, 03:38:00 pm
The proof is in the pudding. We will have to just wait and see. I love my hogs and expect more than 4th in the sec west and more in the sec. The season has not started but the media always put us at the bottom. Go Hogs prove them wrong.

How is 4th the bottom of a 7 team division? 

The three teams ahead of us in the media poll are 2,5, and 10, respectively, in ESPN's Football Power Index.  If the media had voted in line with the FPI, we'd be last.  That's why I give the media credit for using some sense this year. Arkansas is a good bet to finish fourth but no higher.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 14, 2017, 04:04:13 pm

The three teams ahead of us in the media poll are 2,5, and 10, respectively, in ESPN's Football Power Index.  If the media had voted in line with the FPI, we'd be last.  That's why I give the media credit for using some sense this year. Arkansas is a good bet to finish fourth but no higher.

You never know. The Hogs get Auburn in DWRRS this year and strange things have happened in Baton Rouge before.

ZERO

If we could just not give away winnable games to inferior or comparable competition, this would put us 9-3 going into bowl season. I would happily accept a brutal beating from those three ahead of us if it meant we could finally stop losing to 8-5 or worse teams.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2017, 04:19:59 pm
You never know. The Hogs get Auburn in DWRRS this year and strange things have happened in Baton Rouge before.

Sure.  We know that, but the media poll is about probabilities, not possibilities. 

I think the 4th prediction is a nod to Austin Allen,  He separates the Hogs from the other three.

Großer Kriegschwein

had the leading passer and rusher in the SEC last year.

I know we don't have RWIII, but Whaley is in the same position that RWIII was last year. Interior line play SHOULD be better.

Receivers and Linebackers are the hard question this year.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 14, 2017, 04:04:13 pm

If we can finish games on offense, get better in RZ Offense and stop or at least limit big plays allowed on defense this year and play middle of the road special teams, you never know what might happen. Auburn isn't perfect by any means and despite media projections they aren't a lock to finish high, LSU has questions of their own and I'm not convinced that Orgeron is a big game coach...there is just a lot of football to be played at this point. I'd be shocked if Alabama didn't win the West and the SEC again this year, but everything else remains to be seen.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 07:02:34 pm
If we can finish games on offense, get better in RZ Offense and stop or at least limit big plays allowed on defense this year and play middle of the road special teams, you never know what might happen. Auburn isn't perfect by any means and despite media projections they aren't a lock to finish high, LSU has questions of their own and I'm not convinced that Orgeron is a big game coach...there is just a lot of football to be played at this point. I'd be shocked if Alabama didn't win the West and the SEC again this year, but everything else remains to be seen.

Clay Henry put his finger squarely on the issue the other day.  Will Arkansas be able to run the football when it needs to?  It couldn't in the red zone against TCU or A&M, and it couldn't in the second half against Missouri or Virginia Tech.

Bielema's philosophy begins and ends with running the football.  Everything works off of that, including defense. Last year's team was Bielema's lowest per game rushing average since he became a head coach. Reading between the lines, Henry attributed that more to the O-line than to the backs.

If the Hogs average 200 ypg rushing like Bielema teams usually do, this could be a great year.  If they're in the 165 ypg range again, the end result is likely to be similar to 2016.

Honestly, I thought we would be 5th in the West with A&M ahead of us.  I cannot see even 1 non-homer reason we should be picked over A&M for fourth place.  We cut down their coach every season but his team finds a way to come back and beat us every year.  Does A&M just have that much luck or does the coach have a little bit of knowledge.  I would agree that A&M should be better on average than they are but I would also say that about the Hogs and so far neither have shown they are.

Acehawg

I would bet against UGA as number 1 in the East.  No way a Chaney offense can be that successful.  And I know they have talent but still...

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Acehawg on July 14, 2017, 07:34:09 pm
I would bet against UGA as number 1 in the East.  No way a Chaney offense can be that successful.  And I know they have talent but still...

East is a pretty big toss up in my opinion.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bphi11ips

Quote from: 12247 on July 14, 2017, 07:26:37 pm
Honestly, I thought we would be 5th in the West with A&M ahead of us.  I cannot see even 1 non-homer reason we should be picked over A&M for fourth place.  We cut down their coach every season but his team finds a way to come back and beat us every year.  Does A&M just have that much luck or does the coach have a little bit of knowledge.  I would agree that A&M should be better on average than they are but I would also say that about the Hogs and so far neither have shown they are.

A&M lost a lot, but if you don't get the difference between a 5th year senior QB who threw for 3500 yards as a junior and not one proven QB, no one here can help you much.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 14, 2017, 07:49:29 pm
East is a pretty big toss up in my opinion.

I'd actually laugh it Kentucky won. Then I'd cry because Kentucky fans would be insufferable.
This is my non-signature signature.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 14, 2017, 07:56:51 pm
I'd actually laugh it Kentucky won. Then I'd cry because Kentucky fans would be insufferable.

I wouldn't be surprised if they won the east.  The sec East has been a bad conference for awhile now. Heck. The west hasn't been great either. Alabama and everyone else is really how the sec was last year.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

247Hog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 14, 2017, 07:59:11 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if they won the east.  The sec East has been a bad conference for awhile now. Heck. The west hasn't been great either. Alabama and everyone else is really how the sec was last year.

Umm..didn't the SEC win the most bowl games in history 2/3 years ago? Wasn't it like 9 sec wins vs. 2 losses or something like that?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 14, 2017, 07:19:16 pm
Clay Henry put his finger squarely on the issue the other day.  Will Arkansas be able to run the football when it needs to?  It couldn't in the red zone against TCU or A&M, and it couldn't in the second half against Missouri or Virginia Tech.

Bielema's philosophy begins and ends with running the football.  Everything works off of that, including defense. Last year's team was Bielema's lowest per game rushing average since he became a head coach. Reading between the lines, Henry attributed that more to the O-line than to the backs.

If the Hogs average 200 ypg rushing like Bielema teams usually do, this could be a great year.  If they're in the 165 ypg range again, the end result is likely to be similar to 2016.

The Hogs have to average more than 165 per game in net rushing. If you added in the negative Sack Yardage from last year the net rushing totals would be even less and that isn't good. We need to exceed 5 yards net per rush for the year. I'll have to admit that looking at some of the blocking schemes last year I can see why we were held to a lot less than that. We had a lot of "jumble" in our blocking schemes and it just didn't flow as smoothly as it should have. Add in that we had RB's running to the wrong holes and creases at times and that spells out a less successful rushing offense than we have become accustomed to having at Arkansas.

Want to be successful in the SEC? Need to have a defense that ranks in the top 30-35 nationally in total defense and applies far more pressure to opposing offenses and a top 20 offense that plows the road while being a top 25 T/O Ratio team. Do that and we win 9 this year in the regular season. Do it not, and it is anyone's guess where we wind up.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgphish

If you tape a 5 dollar bill to the preseason rankings they would be worth 5 dollars.

presidenthog

July 14, 2017, 10:35:53 pm #49 Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:31:39 pm by presidenthog

I see atm and ole miss battling for last place. Lost all of their defensive talent. No qb. Lost some wrs. Still have kirk but not the others.

I don't see how we don't beat them this year.