Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When Arkansas has won the SEC West in the past...

Started by Kamkaizen, July 14, 2017, 08:16:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamkaizen

Prior to the 1995 and 2006 seasons in which Arkansas won the SEC West, can anyone remember what the predictions were for Arkansas' season?  Did the "experts" actually express that Arkansas had a great chance to win the division?  Were expectations high outside of the state of Arkansas? 

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Kamkaizen on July 14, 2017, 08:16:19 am
Prior to the 1995 and 2006 seasons in which Arkansas won the SEC West, can anyone remember what the predictions were for Arkansas' season?  Did the "experts" actually express that Arkansas had a great chance to win the division?  Were expectations high outside of the state of Arkansas? 

Prior to 2006 Phil Steele picked the Hogs to be 2nd in the West (3rd overall in the SEC behind Auburn and Tennessee) and a preseason #13 nationally.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 09:00:35 am
Prior to 2006 Phil Steele picked the Hogs to be 2nd in the West (3rd overall in the SEC behind Auburn and Tennessee) and a preseason #13 nationally.

Steele went against the grain that year and predicted 10-2. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pork Twain

Have the "experts" EVER picked Arkansas to win the SEC West?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RazorWest

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2017, 09:46:30 am

Some did in Smiley's year

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

Once the fall after Jeff Carpet Bagger Long canned Bobbie and put Smile in charge!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2017, 02:14:13 pm
Who predicted we would win the SECW?
I dont know, but there was a lot of hype coming of a season where we were a top 5 team.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 14, 2017, 02:25:11 pm
I dont know, but there was a lot of hype coming of a season where we were a top 5 team.
Hype is not the same as predicting they were going to win the west.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2017, 02:41:55 pm
I'm pretty sure predicting we are going to win the west is a form of hype.

it was a long time ago, so I don't remember, but it would surprise me if someone predicted that.

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 14, 2017, 09:29:53 am
Steele went against the grain that year and predicted 10-2. 

Went 10-4, but really should have won the SEC that year, the Hogs still have sore rear ends from getting screwed by the officials in the SECCG, but still dropped the first game of the season to USC 14-50 (geez, embarrassing) and the last 3 games in a row to #9 LSU 26-31, #4 Florida 28-38 and #6 Wisconsin (Bielema) 14-17.
Go Hogs Go!

ZERO

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2017, 02:41:55 pm

I recall quite a few picking us as a dark horse contender, but we were always behind Alabama pretty much at a consensus. The team that just won the national title is almost always the safe and logical bet. We started 2012 #10 in the AP poll and moved to #8 in week two. After '10 and '11, everyone in the country was high on the Hogs.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 08:44:13 pm
and the last 3 games in a row to #9 LSU 26-31, #4 Florida 28-38 and #6 Wisconsin (Bielema) 14-17.
funny that was right around the time Nutt decided he wanted control of the offense back as well as yanking our star freshman QB.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 14, 2017, 09:14:40 pm
funny that was right around the time Nutt decided he wanted control of the offense back as well as yanking our star freshman QB.

No, the dumb ass pulled Mustain in the S. Carolina game and he never saw another opportunity to make a pass until the bowl game with Wisconsin, 5 games later and of course, expected Mustain to bail him out.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 09:29:57 pm
No, the dumb ass pulled Mustain in the S. Carolina game and he never saw another opportunity to make a pass until the bowl game with Wisconsin, 5 games later and of course, expected Mustain to bail him out.
ole nutty had a quick trigger, except when Casey was throwing 3 of 17 for 29 yards against LSU.

He wasn't even our leading passer in that game.  Dmac edged him out going 2-2 and 33 yards.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 14, 2017, 08:07:33 pm
I'm pretty sure predicting we are going to win the west is a form of hype.

it was a long time ago, so I don't remember, but it would surprise me if someone predicted that.

So nothing...

DeltaBoy

I have my doubts my wife will live long enough to buy me another SEC West Champs shirt or a SEC Champion's shirt!.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

alohawg

This should be the only acceptable name for him who could screw up such a team.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Großer Kriegschwein

You know, I was overseas and caught the USC game and every other nationally televised game we played that year that was played on AFN. I was beside myself that we were playing a true freshman QB and had won 8 in a row (IIRC). Never quite understood the "experience" thing. Mustain had started more games than Dick at that point, regardless of whether or not he's a Freshman.

The only thing I can think of is that he 1) didn't really care for the Malzahn/Mustain combination taking hold 2) was scared that he would lose out as the schedule tightened up at the end of the season(nearly did that) 3) smoked too much hashish.

I still say Mustain had more experience and groove during the season than Dick did at any point of the year.

I finished that year really really pissed at Nutt. Before my Hogville days.

This is my non-signature signature.

nchogg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 15, 2017, 05:20:55 pm
I have my doubts my wife will live long enough to buy me another SEC West Champs shirt or a SEC Champion's shirt!.
Delta I have said the same about myself. Can't live forever.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: nchogg on July 16, 2017, 02:35:43 pm
Delta I have said the same about myself. Can't live forever.

I'm 41 and I may not live to see us ever win the SEC.

MuskogeeHogFan

July 16, 2017, 02:59:38 pm #23 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:12:09 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 16, 2017, 02:23:05 pm
You know, I was overseas and caught the USC game and every other nationally televised game we played that year that was played on AFN. I was beside myself that we were playing a true freshman QB and had won 8 in a row (IIRC). Never quite understood the "experience" thing. Mustain had started more games than Dick at that point, regardless of whether or not he's a Freshman.

The only thing I can think of is that he 1) didn't really care for the Malzahn/Mustain combination taking hold 2) was scared that he would lose out as the schedule tightened up at the end of the season(nearly did that) 3) smoked too much hashish.

I still say Mustain had more experience and groove during the season than Dick did at any point of the year.

We will never know of course, but sometimes I have speculated about what might have come of the Hogs had HDN been hired away after the 2006 season, they had hired another HC who was more open to Gus' philosophy and had retained Gus as the true, OC. I speculate about how successful the Hogs might have been by 1) keeping Malzahn as the OC, 2) having a Mustain that could have stayed at Arkansas instead of transferring, 3) having had a backfield that consisted of D-Mac, Felix Jones, Hillis and Michael Smith, along with 4) probably having retained Receivers like Damian Williams (USC transfer) and having Lucas Miller, London Crawford, Marcus Monk and TE Andrew Davie returning.

Honestly, I wish that is the way it would have worked out because I am not sure that we would have lost a single game that season and would have played Tennessee for the SECCG. Instead of playing Missouri in the Cotton Bowl, we might have been playing Ohio State in the Superdome for a NC. At the very least, we would have been in a BCS level bowl game. Of course Malzahn would have been gone after a season like that, leveraging his OC skills to another job, but that would have been fine with me.

But ole Hootie loved the helmet and stuck around and the rest is history.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 02:59:38 pm

But ole Hootie loved the helmet and stuck around and the rest is history.
I never understood the concept of hiring a guy to be your HC who quit the program as a student athlete.  MHF, you're correct, we could have been in the NC hunt.

LZH

I've often wondered where we'd be right now if HDN had actually been hired at Nebraska.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on July 16, 2017, 03:16:34 pm
I never understood the concept of hiring a guy to be your HC who quit the program as a student athlete.  MHF, you're correct, we could have been in the NC hunt.

In all fairness to Nutt (can't believe I am actually saying this), after JFB's retirement, he transferred because he didn't fit Holtz's style of offensive play and he was going to ride the bench. Of course he was nothing more than a back-up at Oklahoma State as well, but he rolled the dice and took his shot at playing time. I can't really blame him for that because he wasn't going to do anything but hold a clipboard under Holtz. I think JFB felt loyalty to him because of his family history in Arkansas and the fact that he was the last player that JFB signed at Arkansas as a HC.

But it would have been great for Arkansas if he had taken his "great" coaching skills and "love of the helmet" down the road to another school after 2006.

You have to ask yourself this too. How would Mitch Mustain's career have turned out with the departure of Nutt, the Murray State Mafia, Nutt's Posse and no transfer to the west coast, so far from home and everything that he grew up being familiar with as a Hog fan? We will never know.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 03:47:48 pm
In all fairness to Nutt (can't believe I am actually saying this), after JFB's retirement, he transferred because he didn't fit Holtz's style of offensive play and he was going to ride the bench. Of course he was nothing more than a back-up at Oklahoma State as well, but he rolled the dice and took his shot at playing time. I can't really blame him for that because he wasn't going to do anything but hold a clipboard under Holtz. I think JFB felt loyalty to him because of his family history in Arkansas and the fact that he was the last player that JFB signed at Arkansas as a HC.

But it would have been great for Arkansas if he had taken his "great" coaching skills and "love of the helmet" down the road to another school after 2006.

You have to ask yourself this too. How would Mitch Mustain's career have turned out with the departure of Nutt, the Murray State Mafia, Nutt's Posse and no transfer to the west coast, so far from home and everything that he grew up being familiar with as a Hog fan? We will never know.
Nutt played for Holtz for at least one year; I think two.  He quit because the QB who was his competitor was on the cover of SI.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: daBoar on July 16, 2017, 04:08:04 pm
Nutt played for Holtz for at least one year; I think two.  He quit because the QB who was his competitor was on the cover of SI.

I thought it was only one year and it became apparent that he wasn't going to do anything more than hold a clipboard. I don't remember anything about an S.I. cover, but I just knew that he left because he wanted a chance to play. Can't blame him for that. He played in a few, maybe 4 games as a Freshman, sat the bench as a Sophomore, transferred, sat out a year and had his two final years at Okla State, I think.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on July 16, 2017, 03:38:30 pm
I've often wondered where we'd be right now if HDN had actually been hired at Nebraska.

I think that offer came a couple years earlier, like 2004 maybe?
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 04:38:59 pm
I think that offer came a couple years earlier, like 2004 maybe?

After Solich was fired. 2003-2004 school year.

He was fired by that moron Steve Pederson. He came from Pitt and then hired Callahan and tanked the program. He was replaced at Pitt by Jeff Long when he went to Nebraska. When Long came to Arkansas, Pederson went back to Pitt. He fired Wannstedt and hired that guy that was fired the next day for giving his ole lady knuckle sammiches.

(Solich pulled a "Hatfield at Rice" and went where they wouldn't fire him)

rangertaunton

off topic here,but did you go to Ranger school or in the Regiment? What class?
Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

July 16, 2017, 08:28:35 pm #32 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:10:47 pm by Großer Kriegschwein
Quote from: rangertaunton on July 16, 2017, 07:29:40 pm
off topic here,but did you go to Ranger school or in the Regiment? What class?

You're right, off topic.

Never been to, nor have I ever wanted to be assigned to Regiment. I was LRS.

Check your PMs.

Pork Twain

July 27, 2017, 04:09:26 am #33 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:29:40 am by Pork Twain

I watched those games and still not sure what MM did that was so great.  Our defense, RBs and OL won those games and for the most part he just did not screw up too much.  Not unlike the year that Teblow started for Denver.  Their time as starters were equally difficult to watch.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Back to the original thread though. Where were we listed in the pre-season in HDN's second year? I thought it was pretty high.

EFBAB

duck slayer

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2017, 09:46:30 am
I don't think AR has ever been picked by the media or coaches to win the division, much less the SEC. And with the exception of AL and LSU, I'd be surprised if anyone else that's won the division has either so I wouldn't really give it much credit.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 03:47:48 pm

Muskogee, my memory is cloudy on this, but wasn't Frank Broyles luke warm at best on Nutt and there was a committee set up at the time (the first committee to hire a football coach here ever I believe) that voted Nutt in as coach???