Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bear Bryant Question

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, July 13, 2017, 03:59:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

So, I sold a house here in Va to some Bama grads from a while back and I asked the wife's dad if he was too. He said he was and as a realtor, I always want to connect in some way with my clients, so I Asked him if he was a part of the Bear Bryant era...and oh man, the stories he told about him were awesome as he was actually very close to him.

As I was listening to his stories, he even mentioned PBB being from Arkansas and it got me wondering, did we ever have a shot with him? I know many talk about how we missed out on other coaches like Jimmy Johnson, but did we miss out on the Bear or was he just from here and that was it?

Any info would be nice as that was way before my time and I'm definitely interested. Thanks!
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

TrueBlue

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=1604

"In 1941, after coaching at Union College (now Union University in Jackson, Tennessee) and Vanderbilt University, Bryant was on his way to Arkansas, where he was being considered to be head coach of the University of Arkansas Razorbacks, when he heard that World War II had begun. He promptly enlisted in the Navy rather than join the Razorbacks."

bollweevil

From Arkansas Football Yesterday and Today
Bear Bryant and What Might Have Been

Frustrated by three years of losing under Otis Douglas, Arkansas fans wanted a proven winner for their next head coach. They almost got the biggest winner of them all.
   In December 1952, native son Paul "Bear" Bryant flew into Fayetteville from Lexington, Kentucky under cover of darkness to discuss the Arkansas job with John Barnhill. Bryant and Barnhill knew and respected each other from their days in the Southeastern Conference.
   Bryant had built a football powerhouse at basketball-obsessed Kentucky but was finding the Bluegrass State wasn't big enough for both him and basketball coach Adolph Rupp. Following a point-shaving scandal involving the basketball team, Bryant thought Kentucky President Herman Donovan had lied to him after privately promising to fire Rupp, then awarding him with a contract extension and a new Cadillac. Bryant got an engraved cigarette lighter.1
   Years later, Bryant described what happened next.
   "I had verbally accepted the job at the University of Arkansas," said Bryant. "I had no idea Kentucky would refuse to let me go."2
   When Bryant returned to Lexington, he had an all-night meeting with Kentucky's biggest boosters and agreed to stay. A year later, fed up and angry with himself for turning down the Arkansas job, Bryant fled to Texas A&M and eventually landed at Alabama.
   An iconic photograph snapped by an Arkansas Gazette photographer on the night Bryant flew into Fayetteville shows Bryant with Barnhill and long-time Bryant friend Lee Rogers. It was a photo none of them wanted taken, and as it turned out, Razorback fans can only imagine what might have been.
1 "The Junction Boys," by Jim Dent
2 "Razorback Football: A Winning Legacy," a video by Larry Foley

cpohog

As a kid in the late 60s to the mid 70s, my family was members of a deer hunting club on the Morrow Bottoms just outside of Fordyce. 4 of the old timers grew up with PBB and we would sit around the fireplace at night every year and those guys would tell some hellacious stories about the 4 of them and PBB through their high school years.

It was awesome! Miss those days!

SRV

Quote from: bollweevil on July 13, 2017, 06:15:44 pm
From Arkansas Football Yesterday and Today
Bear Bryant and What Might Have Been

Frustrated by three years of losing under Otis Douglas, Arkansas fans wanted a proven winner for their next head coach. They almost got the biggest winner of them all.
   In December 1952, native son Paul "Bear" Bryant flew into Fayetteville from Lexington, Kentucky under cover of darkness to discuss the Arkansas job with John Barnhill. Bryant and Barnhill knew and respected each other from their days in the Southeastern Conference.
   Bryant had built a football powerhouse at basketball-obsessed Kentucky but was finding the Bluegrass State wasn't big enough for both him and basketball coach Adolph Rupp. Following a point-shaving scandal involving the basketball team, Bryant thought Kentucky President Herman Donovan had lied to him after privately promising to fire Rupp, then awarding him with a contract extension and a new Cadillac. Bryant got an engraved cigarette lighter.1
   Years later, Bryant described what happened next.
   "I had verbally accepted the job at the University of Arkansas," said Bryant. "I had no idea Kentucky would refuse to let me go."2
   When Bryant returned to Lexington, he had an all-night meeting with Kentucky's biggest boosters and agreed to stay. A year later, fed up and angry with himself for turning down the Arkansas job, Bryant fled to Texas A&M and eventually landed at Alabama.
   An iconic photograph snapped by an Arkansas Gazette photographer on the night Bryant flew into Fayetteville shows Bryant with Barnhill and long-time Bryant friend Lee Rogers. It was a photo none of them wanted taken, and as it turned out, Razorback fans can only imagine what might have been.
1 "The Junction Boys," by Jim Dent
2 "Razorback Football: A Winning Legacy," a video by Larry Foley

Someone could write a book called Arkansas Sports And What Might Have Been.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

So which version is true? Did he never land at Arkansas because Kentucky wouldn't let him go or because he was joining the Navy for WWII?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 14, 2017, 07:37:27 am
So which version is true? Did he never land at Arkansas because Kentucky wouldn't let him go or because he was joining the Navy for WWII?

One was before WWII, one was after. I don't know about the one in the 50's, but the one about just prior to WWII is the one I have always heard about.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 07:44:47 am
One was before WWII, one was after. I don't know about the one in the 50's, but the one about just prior to WWII is the one I have always heard about.
Yeah that's what I always heard. I never heard about the Kentucky thing until now
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

bollweevil

As the author of Arkansas Football Yesterday and Today, I took this information from a video clip that was part of Larry Foley's excellent history of the Razorbacks.  In the video clip, Bryant is interviewed and relates the story, saying "I had verbally committed to coming to the University of Arkansas. I had no idea Kentucky would refuse to let me go." That came directly from the Bear.  I have also heard that Bryant was interested in the Arkansas job as early as 1941, but was probably too young at the time, and of course his plans had to be put aside when war broke out.  Interesting to consider what might have been!

DeltaBoy

We had 2 shots at the Bear but Japan and Kentucky screwed us over!.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

Quote from: bigalphahawg on July 13, 2017, 09:32:03 pm

amen amen amen hallelujah amen.

Just kick the FG and win the game.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

NoogaHog

Quote from: bigalphahawg on July 13, 2017, 09:32:03 pm

Can't wait to read the chapter about Basil Shabazz!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rowdy1

Should go back and watch some of his Alabama teams.  They would slam you to the ground, mow over you, and then very respectfully help you up off the ground.  Always a class act.  The Bear never put up with showboats, braggarts....etc....Always a respectful program
Stop bitching! Don't believe everything you read.  Do the research!  Believe in the Hogs~