Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

parallaxpig

Let's hope they both win cuz that probably means our offense was productive. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Wildhog on July 13, 2017, 03:04:26 pm
Hjalte Froholdt?

Not Ricky Froholdt, or something?

The only reason he's on that list is because they needed players to fill out the watch list. You can't have a guy that completely misses or doesn't even touch anybody during a play be anywhere near winning the award.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 13, 2017, 03:40:34 pm
The only reason he's on that list is because they needed players to fill out the watch list. You can't have a guy that completely misses or doesn't even touch anybody during a play be anywhere near winning the award.

Yeah, that isn't a nice thing to say and you don't know that to be true. I will agree however, that I find that a bit puzzling. Someone on the Football Writers Association of America apparently thinks he is pretty good and you know they can pick from any Offensive or Defensive Lineman in the country, so that is a pretty large list to pick from even with a starting list.
Go Hogs Go!

gdumont

Hjalte Froholdt?

Hjalte. There's nobody on the Razorback roster named Ricky or something ;)

daBoar

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 13, 2017, 03:40:34 pm
Well, let's see. As a true freshman he played 2nd team on the defensive line against SEC competition.  As a true sophomore, he started on the offensive line against SEC competition, a position he had not played previously in college........playing alongside a LT who was playing LT for the first time, and playing for a brand new Oline coach and a first time starter at QB. Perhaps the question should be "why did he start on offense last year", rather than blaming him for less than polished protection.  I suspect most will be very pleased with Froholdt's performance in 2017.

Shorttimer

Quote from: daBoar on July 13, 2017, 05:37:37 pm
Well, let's see. As a true freshman he played 2nd team on the defensive line against SEC competition.  As a true sophomore, he started on the offensive line against SEC competition, a position he had not played previously in college........playing alongside a LT who was playing LT for the first time, and playing for a brand new Oline coach and a first time starter at QB. Perhaps the question should be "why did he start on offense last year", rather than blaming him for less than polished protection.  I suspect most will be very pleased with Froholdt's performance in 2017.
This.

He had no idea what was going on at times, especially against complicated blitz schemes, but he was also frequently the best run blocker on the team.

MuskogeeHogFan

Actually, didn't Skipper play LT his Sophomore year? Remember the one handed swat to the ground of the onrushing Texas Tech DE at Lubbock?

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/9/13/6146205/dan-skippers-one-armed-pancake-block-vs-texas-tech
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

All completely true... the kid has god given talent to put himself in a position to start in the SEC at a position he had never played in a sport that he didn't play until moving to the US to play said sport in HS.  Not bad for a defensive tackle...

Maybe them putting him on the watchlist is an indication that they see his potential.  It's only puzzling that he is on the list based on last years learning curve.  Would love to see him end up in the NFL... beginning a pipeline of Viking players to Arkansas from the Scandinavian countries.   
Poker Porker

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 13, 2017, 05:48:01 pm
Actually, didn't Skipper play LT his Sophomore year? Remember the one handed swat to the ground of the onrushing Texas Tech DE at Lubbock?

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/9/13/6146205/dan-skippers-one-armed-pancake-block-vs-texas-tech
Guilty of waxing poetic.  Yes, Kirkland had a bad wheel a time or two.

Letsroll1200

Arkansas Fan

Well, let's see. When you completely let your man go right by you without even touching him, then getting your QB killed, that's a problem. Don't give excuses, I can absolutely blame him for less than polished protection.

Pig in the Pokey

Hjalte Froholdt?

he's gonna be a beast when he gets all the footwork down. in "the phonebooth" w/ Hjalte is not where a man wants to be.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 13, 2017, 09:06:47 pm
Well, let's see. When you completely let your man go right by you without even touching him, then getting your QB killed, that's a problem. Don't give excuses, I can absolutely blame him for less than polished protection.

Do you know the blocking assignments for each OLineman, TEs, and RBs on each play?  Do you know that we had issues at RG that forced Ragnow to slide to his right the first 3/4 of the season, widening the A and B gap on the left side?  If you knew that, you might also know that Froholdt graded out comparable to the other Olineman except for Ragnow.  No one compares to Ragnow.  When the size of the gaps on either side widen, the TE doesn't chip so the LT has to slide left and the RB doesn't fill inside, a 3 technique and/or the LB behind them run free.  Hjalte needs to be better, but TEs & RBs need to do their part.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

SRV

I expect to see a much better year from the entire line, but especially him.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

SRV

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 13, 2017, 09:18:27 pm
Do you know the blocking assignments for each OLineman, TEs, and RBs on each play?  Do you know that we had issues at RG that forced Ragnow to slide to his right the first 3/4 of the season, widening the A and B gap on the left side?  If you knew that, you might also know that Froholdt graded out comparable to the other Olineman except for Ragnow.  No one compares to Ragnow.  When the size of the gaps on either side widen, the TE doesn't chip so the LT has to slide left and the RB doesn't fill inside, a 3 technique and/or the LB behind them run free.  Hjalte needs to be better, but TEs & RBs need to do their part.

Dropping knowledge bombs. Thank you sir.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

sowmonella

You need to change your handle there Bud.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jkstock04

Similar to when qb's get all the blame on interceptions but in truth sometimes it's just as much if not all on the receiver for running an errant route. Still yet, it all comes back to the coaching and our schemes. Anderson was high on the O-line in the preseason last year...but we had serious problems.

Be interesting to see what happens this year. I think we will know pretty quick. If there continue to be problems and mental errors we will see it right off the bat just like we did last year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Arkansas Fan

If you knew anything, you'd know I never said the others didn't have problems, they all did. The unit as a whole was bad. However, my point still stands, Froholdt still completely missed his man and it busted the play or got AA killed. You know it and I know it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 14, 2017, 08:28:31 am

If you knew anything, you'd know I never said the others didn't have problems, they all did. The unit as a whole was bad. However, my point still stands, Froholdt still completely missed his man and it busted the play or got AA killed. You know it and I know it.

You apparently have a problem with comprehension of that which is posted here and particularly in this case when it is posted by someone who knows quite a lot about this particular subject. If you knew anything you would have grasped what he was attempting to explain as to why some of those gaps came completely open. It isn't always the sole fault of the O-Line when the QB gets drilled. And, you didn't mention anyone else in the post that Fan responded to above, so yes, your post was directed solely at Froholdt.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Froholdt mad leaps and bounds improvement from game one to game 13 last year.  And, of all the experienced linemen on the team, no one could beat him out.  His speed, agility and quickness for a big guy is amazing.  I'm happy to see him up for this award and I'm sure it will spur him on, even though he didn't need any help with motivation.

a0ashle

It's a watch list, he hasn't won it yet, he's someone to watch, that's it. I would say based on last years performance and anticipation of improvements he should certainly be someone to watch. If he solidifies a few things he'll be nasty.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 08:44:48 am
You apparently have a problem with comprehension of that which is posted here and particularly in this case when it is posted by someone who knows quite a lot about this particular subject. If you knew anything you would have grasped what he was attempting to explain as to why some of those gaps came completely open. It isn't always the sole fault of the O-Line when the QB gets drilled. And, you didn't mention anyone else in the post that Fan responded to above, so yes, your post was directed solely at Froholdt.

Apparently you have a problem with comprehension. I know exactly what he thinks he's trying to tell me, no need for you to concern yourself. Now, run along.

thebignasty

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 13, 2017, 06:43:00 pm
Boy I hope they are right

No darn, huh?

If that kid legitimately contends for that award this year, it would be outstanding.

ricepig

Quote from: thebignasty on July 14, 2017, 11:40:57 am
No darn, huh?

If that kid legitimately contends for that award this year, it would be outstanding.

Need I say outlandish?

wildhogman

Maybe as FOTH was trying to explain, he allowed it because a RB was supposed to back him up, or a TE was supposed to "chip" force the Defense inside a bit more before sprinting to make a catch. Its a team sport. When the engine breaks down its because the team broke down, not because one player did.
Think of it as fans being a team themselves. You can yell at the top of your lungs in the stadium and will just sound like a gnat farting in the wind if the other 70,000 fans don't yell with you.

azhog10

Would not have guessed Froholdt. I know CBB raves about him, he did last year too. Hijalte missed a lot of blocks last year and there may have been a reason, but he whiffed on more replays then I think I have ever seen before.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: azhog10 on July 14, 2017, 01:11:47 pm
Would not have guessed Froholdt. I know CBB raves about him, he did last year too. Hijalte missed a lot of blocks last year and there may have been a reason, but he whiffed on more replays then I think I have ever seen before.

Don't post anything bad about Froholdt. You'll be attacked for it an they'll make excuses for why he completely didn't touch anyone during plays.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: wildhogman on July 14, 2017, 12:21:28 pm
Maybe as FOTH was trying to explain, he allowed it because a RB was supposed to back him up, or a TE was supposed to "chip" force the Defense inside a bit more before sprinting to make a catch. Its a team sport. When the engine breaks down its because the team broke down, not because one player did.
Think of it as fans being a team themselves. You can yell at the top of your lungs in the stadium and will just sound like a gnat farting in the wind if the other 70,000 fans don't yell with you.

No, there were times when he's supposed to block the man right in front of him yet the guy goes right by him without even touching him.

The Kig

Post MORE!  Seriously...  I don't think I have ever read an uninformed post from you. 

This is MMQB where many "experts" post opinion about their perception of the game.  Most of us (including myself) don't see the larger picture for WHY certain plays break down. 
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: The NewEra on July 14, 2017, 09:06:37 am
And, of all the experienced linemen on the team, no one could beat him out. 

Something that I think many forget... Should a guy with only 4 total years of football experience, 3 of which were on the defensive side of the ball, been able to beat out experienced players on any SEC team?  No way... but it happened. 

Same thing with Gibson.  A walk-on that ends up starting and earning a scholly...

For the people bagging on Froholdt, who would you have replaced him with?  Don't you think if Anderson and CBB had a better option that they would have used them instead?
Poker Porker

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 14, 2017, 11:27:53 am
Apparently you have a problem with comprehension. I know exactly what he thinks he's trying to tell me, no need for you to concern yourself. Now, run along.

Look, you obviously don't know "darn" about O-Line play or blocking assignments or how all of that works as a "Team". No need to continue to show your arse. What Fan was relating to you was truth. You could have easily said, "Oh, I didn't know that, thanks!" Your continuing denial of facts, isn't doing you any favors.
Go Hogs Go!

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 14, 2017, 02:33:14 pm
Look, you obviously don't know "darn" about O-Line play or blocking assignments or how all of that works as a "Team". No need to continue to show your arse. What Fan was relating to you was truth. You could have easily said, "Oh, I didn't know that, thanks!" Your continuing denial of facts, isn't doing you any favors.

You're right, coach. Forgive me for not thinking that a player on the O-line not even touching the guy in front of him is a good thing. Forgive me, I'll go run bleachers now.

hamsam

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 14, 2017, 02:47:30 pm
You're right, coach. Forgive me for not thinking that a player on the O-line not even touching the guy in front of him is a good thing. Forgive me, I'll go run bleachers now.

Do us all a favor and go play a game of One-man Freeze Tag in the middle of the interstate highway nearest you!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: hamsam on July 14, 2017, 02:58:55 pm
Do us all a favor and go play a game of One-man Freeze Tag in the middle of the interstate highway nearest you!

Only if you come along.

oldhawg

While watching replays of games last year, I saw blitzing lineman and linebackers breeze right by running backs that should have blocked them, opposing receivers running right by cornerbacks and safeties without their picking them up, opposing running backs within arms reach of linebackers without being touched, tight ends failing to chip block ----maybe some of this is by design, maybe some of it isn't.  I could take the time to identify specific players, but see no point in it, that's the coaches' job anyway.

Guess I just do not understand the bagging specifically on Froholdt and not others also.  Since he is thought well enough by others outside the program to be put on a watch list for potential accolades at the end of the season, and since the coaches thought enough of his on the field play well enough not to replace him, then he must be doing something consistently right to have earned a starting role on the team.  Go figure.

These comments are from someone that's not a coach or analyst,  has no inside information, just a Razorback fan.   

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

wildhogman

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 14, 2017, 02:02:20 pm
No, there were times when he's supposed to block the man right in front of him yet the guy goes right by him without even touching him.
Oh I apologize. I didn't realize you too have a son on the team that you can get inside information on how each play is "supposed" to work. And here I thought you was just another DA with a worn out remote control from rewinding what we all saw on TV, as you "break down" the game film.  Carry on genuis

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: wildhogman on July 14, 2017, 03:39:38 pm
Oh I apologize. I didn't realize you too have a son on the team that you can get inside information on how each play is "supposed" to work. And here I thought you was just another DA with a worn out remote control from rewinding what we all saw on TV, as you "break down" the game film.  Carry on genuis

So, a person has to have a son on the team to say anything about them? I'm not allowed to criticize the play of certain players? People like you are the ones that are okay with losing by 53 points.

All I've said is Froholdt has had many missed blocks and that's a fact. Meanwhile, some on here try and say it was "by design."

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 14, 2017, 04:11:46 pm
So, a person has to have a son on the team to say anything about them? I'm not allowed to criticize the play of certain players? People like you are the ones that are okay with losing by 53 points.

All I've said is Froholdt has had many missed blocks and that's a fact. Meanwhile, some on here try and say it was "by design."

This is a public message board and you can say what you want when you want.  But when a player is singled out and I have knowledge that either explains or defends the play of that player, I will share it.  Yes, Hjalte needs to get better. You know it, I know it, and Hjalte knows it.  You don't bother me.  When my son was a freshmen, Sam Pittman asked me if I ever looked at message boards.  When I told him yes, he just laughed and said, "you're going to love the next five years.  It's easiy to type about kids when you don't ever have to look them in the eye".  You're exactly who he was talking about.  With that, have a good day. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Oklahawg

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 14, 2017, 04:11:46 pm

Enough. HV is privileged to have FOTH posting. He brings intimate knowledge of how things work "behind the scenes." I realize it you seem to want to be the expert in this thread, but I think you've made your "point."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Cinco de Hogo

Yall Duh has all the tools to fill the tool shed, everyone knows that.  This year he may be the most dominant LG in the SEC for all we know right now. 

And he did miss a bunch of blocks last year and no it wasn't by design.  We did have a problem on the right side(TE stopped blocking)late in the years but it didn't affect Fro's position that much that I saw.  I can simply chalk it up to inexperience and I'm good with that explanation without having to listen to someone's explanation about design.

MuskogeeHogFan

July 14, 2017, 05:59:24 pm #46 Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:51:45 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 14, 2017, 05:37:22 pm
Yall Duh has all the tools to fill the tool shed, everyone knows that.  This year he may be the most dominant LG in the SEC for all we know right now. 

And he did miss a bunch of blocks last year and no it wasn't by design.  We did have a problem on the right side(TE stopped blocking)late in the years but it didn't affect Fro's position that much that I saw.  I can simply chalk it up to inexperience and I'm good with that explanation without having to listen to someone's explanation about design.

What FOTH was trying to explain was that for a good portion of the year, because we had a RG with a really bad wheel, Ragnow had to try to help with pass pro to that side. The LG's traditional blocking responsibilities for pass pro are #1) inside, #2) head up then #3) outside. With Ragnow sliding to the right to help the RG, that meant that Froholdt had to cover to his right first (inside) and when defenses recognized what we were having to do, they schemed so that they overloaded the gaps between the Center and LG and LG and the LT.

Then when you have a TE aligned to the left either on the LOS or in a slot, who is supposed to "chip" the DE or LB on his way out on a route, but doesn't, it calls for the LT to drop step quickly to make sure he keeps the DE or LB to the outside. That leaves the gap between the LG and LT unprotected and expanding while meanwhile, the LG is trying to protect the gap between the Center and LG first, making him late to get back to head-up or the outside, which opened up wider and more clear lanes for D-Linemen or LB's running a stunt and coming free into that area. Not Froholdt's fault. Heck, it would be a giant task for a 2-3 year experienced starter to cover that area.

Now I may not have stated that in such a way that is completely clear to everyone else (naturally it is clear to me ;) ), but that is an example of problems that we had on the left side with pass pro last year and that doesn't even take into consideration the fact that RB's sometimes took bad angles or completely missed their responsibilities in helping in pass pro at times. Whew! Sorry for the long post.
Go Hogs Go!

DEVIL DOG HOG

As a lineman in my playing days, on a lot of plays my men to block wasn't the DT or DE in front of me but it was the MLB or the OLB.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

PonderinHog

Quote from: oldhawg on July 14, 2017, 03:27:42 pm
While watching replays of games last year, I saw blitzing lineman and linebackers breeze right by running backs that should have blocked them, opposing receivers running right by cornerbacks and safeties without their picking them up, opposing running backs within arms reach of linebackers without being touched, tight ends failing to chip block ----maybe some of this is by design, maybe some of it isn't.  I could take the time to identify specific players, but see no point in it, that's the coaches' job anyway.

Guess I just do not understand the bagging specifically on Froholdt and not others also.  Since he is thought well enough by others outside the program to be put on a watch list for potential accolades at the end of the season, and since the coaches thought enough of his on the field play well enough not to replace him, then he must be doing something consistently right to have earned a starting role on the team.  Go figure.

These comments are from someone that's not a coach or analyst,  has no inside information, just a Razorback fan.
Just a real one.  Sounds to me like Froholdt might be a serious contender for the Outland Trophy in 2018.  Recognized now, awarded later.

wikipedia brown

Hjalte's pure athleticism could put him on that list. I think we will see the game slow down for him this year. He is gonna be a great one for sure