Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remember when Dallas Cowboy leadership (Landry, etc.) had been there forever?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, July 02, 2017, 08:33:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Growing up a Dallas Cowboys fan in the 60's and 70's, one of the comforting things was the stability of ownership, management and coaching.  After all, ALL of the key components (Clint Murchison, Tex Schramm, Gil Brandt and Tom Landry) had been in place since Day 1.  It seemed like they had been there forever.

Then, along came Jerry and Jimmy and a whirlwind of change.  Whether one supported the change - or not - everyone pretty much agreed that it was an odd feeling for a Cowboy fan that the "old guard" was not in control any more.

Well - guess what?  we're getting very close to the time when Jerry's group will have been in ownership/control as long as the original group was!

According to my research, Dallas was awarded an NFL franchise on Jan 28, 1960, and the original group controlled it until Jerry purchased the team on Feb 25, 1989 - 29 years and 28 days.  That means that Jerry will match the former group's tenure as owner on March 25th, 2018.  (Bum Bright actually purchased the team from Murchison in May 1984, but Bright made no changes to the management team).

If you were around for the vitriol Jerry endured his first few months as owner, you also remember that few gave him much of a chance to be around for 5 years, let alone 29.  Just goes to show you how fast time DOES fly - whether you're having "fun" (i.e., "winning") or not.

Hogs7672

Living in DFW, I remember when they said Jerry Jones, LR business man was interested in buying the Cowboys. I'm a life long Razorback fan, but remember thinking...Jerry Jones can't afford the DC. Well, as Paul Harvey said, now you know the rest of the story... ;D
Now headed to NFL HOF....hindsight is a wonderful.

FANONTHEHILL

February 25th, 1989, Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys and Texas stadium from Bum Bright for $140 million.  In a Forbes article from last July, the Cowboys are the first NFL franchise to be valued over $4 Billion.  Jones has revolutionized the way teams are marketed.  Whether people like him or not, I don't think there's an argument that he's the most innovative and influential owner in sports history.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

kodiakisland

Man, posts like this make me feel old.  I can remember going to games and watching Staubach, TD, The Manster, etc.  Was it really that long ago?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 02, 2017, 07:59:04 pm
Man, posts like this make me feel old.  I can remember going to games and watching Staubach, TD, The Manster, etc.  Was it really that long ago?

That's pretty much the point of the post.  At the time of the sale and transition, it seemed like all of those guys had literally been there forever.  I had followed the team since 1960, because where I lived (El Paso), their games were broadcast each Sunday.  It's hard to believe just as much time has passed since Jerry took over as I remember from Cowboy history prior to that.  Odd the way time gets distorted by how old you are when you experience it.

PorkRinds

I remember buying a Cowboys hogs mashup t shirt when Jerry bought the cowboys. All my family in Dallas hated him because he was from Arkansas.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 02, 2017, 11:16:15 pm
I remember buying a Cowboys hogs mashup t shirt when Jerry bought the cowboys. All my family in Dallas hated him because he was from Arkansas.

I had one that said:  "The Arkansas Cowboys"
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Bacons Rebellion

I had always hated the Cowboys, because they were from Texas, and if you were raised right you hated anything football related from Texas. Then Jerry bought the Cowboys and my Dad, who had never been much of an NFL fan, except as anti-Namath, was suddenly a huge Cowboys fan. It was very uncomfortable for a while, but I got used to it.

RebelliousHog

I've never been a Cowboys fan, I don't care who owns them. Just because there's an Arkansas connection does not mean im going to start liking them. And this thread belongs in the NFL board. Has zip to do with the Razorbacks.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HenduHog on July 08, 2017, 11:05:20 am
I've never been a Cowboys fan, I don't care who owns them. Just because there's an Arkansas connection does not mean im going to start liking them. And this thread belongs in the NFL board. Has zip to do with the Razorbacks.

Since the owner IS a former Razorback which I doubt you are, and a really big booster, also which I doubt you are, that has given much more to the UA than you, I would disagree with that. We are damn fortunate to have him in the Hog family. You not so much unless you have done as much for them as he has. I'd bet my house, wife, kids and all the money I've ever earned that isn't the case.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

kodiakisland

Then why did you bother to open the thread and even post in it?  Get tired of crapping somewhere else?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

alohawg

The more successful Jerry is, the more UA benefits from his generosity. That certainly qualifies as related in my book. Go hogs and go cowboys!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

FANONTHEHILL

If it's about Jerry Jones, it's about the Razorbacks.  A game in the best stadium on the planet every year, millions of dollars in donations, the northwest gate named in honor of  him and Jim Lindsey, and this....
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Laughing Hog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 02, 2017, 07:59:04 pm

+1 for your signature line. "Shall not be infringed"
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

rowdy1

No, this thread does belong here.  He was, is, and always will be a Razorback and a fan whether you like him or not.  Jerry Jones has had a huge impact on college and professional football.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  He tore down arguably the greatest professional coach in professional football to build a new program at Dallas.  There will never be another Tom Landry..what a class act the guy was.  He may not has the most super bowl wins of all time but the record of going to the playoffs will never be matched again.  The only one that might even come close will be Belichick maybe.  What I would give to watch those guys play Bradshaw and those danged Steelers again lol.  Jerry has built a MONSTER in Dallas and I'm still a huge fan.  I never liked the way he and Jimmy parted ways, and I definitely didn't like how Landry was treated, but you gotta give Jerry credit.  He's a brand builder, a great businessman, a Cowboy, and always will be a Razorback!
Stop bitching! Don't believe everything you read.  Do the research!  Believe in the Hogs~

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 09, 2017, 06:13:51 am
If it's about Jerry Jones, it's about the Razorbacks.  A game in the best stadium on the planet every year, millions of dollars in donations, the northwest gate named in honor of  him and Jim Lindsey, and this....

+1