Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TV options

Started by 1 hog n eldo, July 13, 2017, 11:25:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1 hog n eldo

Need some opinions on TV options. I remember reading a thread a while back but can't find it. My DirecTV bill went up from 70 to 120 a month. I just want to be able to have sec network and ESPN for the fall. Was looking at sling?

Thunderhog Jr

Sling TV or DirecTV Now will both give you access to the Watch ESPN app which has all ESPN and SEC and SEC+.. I personally have DirecTV Now. Have had both, just prefer DirecTV..........
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

UAfan

Thinking about switching from UVerse to Direct - anyone had any signal issues?

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on July 13, 2017, 11:43:13 am
Sling TV or DirecTV Now will both give you access to the Watch ESPN app which has all ESPN and SEC and SEC+.. I personally have DirecTV Now. Have had both, just prefer DirecTV..........

Thanks thunderhog! Are the prices about the same?

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

gchamblee

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on July 13, 2017, 11:25:41 am
Need some opinions on TV options. I remember reading a thread a while back but can't find it. My DirecTV bill went up from 70 to 120 a month. I just want to be able to have sec network and ESPN for the fall. Was looking at sling?

The new youtube service will give you all of that. I tested sling and hated it. I currently use PS Vue for my television and espn needs.

FANONTHEHILL

We have PlayStation Vue, high speed internet(Cox)and a window HD antenna for locals.  Ozarks Electric is currently running fiber optic 1000mbps OzarksGo in our area and we will switch to that in place of 100mbps from Cox.  PS Vue can run through a console or Roku device. It also has the capability of recording, which Sling does not.  You can also watch PS Vue on multiple devices at the same time. PS Vue is going up in price to $45/month, internet and TV will run about $145 for us, which is still better than other packages I've priced.  We have SEC Network, NFL, MLB, and several others as part of our package.  We've been pleased in the year we've had it.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

rhames

Call them and complain. Say you will leave if your contract is up.

Got NFL Sunday ticket. My bill is now 80 a month. I have four 4k receivers. The xtra package and HBO, stars, and showtime.

In a year I will call again.

Unless you are dead set on cutting the cord. This is one of those things where it's just what's best to each individual.

Also what is your internet speed like?  How many people will be streaming? These are all things you have to consider if you're interested in cutting the cord.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

younghog

I love my Dish Network.. Got the basic plan.. Get SEC NETWORK and can watchESPN  on FireStick via my DISH account..

paying under $100 without fail.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on July 13, 2017, 11:51:40 am
Thanks thunderhog! Are the prices about the same?

They are close, I just felt like I got more channels and better picture from DirecTV. They all have a free trial period, just sign up and make your choice.
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

nchogg

I used sling tv last year and had that apk and watch espn apk on a tv media streaming box and could also use my sling account with watch espn and it was around $28 a month. Will do the same this year. I had minimal problems and watched every game. Had most of the problems in the first month of the season and after the apk's updated everything was fine.

Polecat

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2017, 01:02:07 pm

Got NFL Sunday ticket. My bill is now 80 a month. I have four 4k receivers. The xtra package and HBO, stars, and showtime.

Unless you are dead set on cutting the cord. This is one of those things where it's just what's best to each individual.

Also what is your internet speed like?  How many people will be streaming? These are all things you have to consider if you're interested in cutting the cord.

Same here. You might have to complain to 4 different people, but eventually will get where you need to be price-wise. They'll do pretty much anything to keep customers, they're losing them so fast
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

rhames

Quote from: Polecat on July 13, 2017, 03:31:10 pm
Same here. You might have to complain to 4 different people, but eventually will get where you need to be price-wise. They'll do pretty much anything to keep customers, they're losing them so fast

Yeah and some of the streaming services are beginning to up their price a bit. Still a great way to get content though. I just prefer what I have with direct.

For me personally, I crunched the numbers of cutting the cord and still getting all the content I have and it was around the same. Direct was just a few bucks more but to me, personally,  it's worth it 

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Andrew Hogfan

Sling tv through the xbox one. Love it
WPS!!!

RazorPiggie

Quote from: GirlHog on July 13, 2017, 12:48:12 pm
I got rid of Directv last year and got a streaming box. Best thing I ever did! I saw all college and NFL games with no monthly fee, other than my wifi bill.

PM me for more info.

sAME HERE.

rhames

I got rid of Directv last year and got a streaming box. Best thing I ever did! I saw all college and NFL games with no monthly fee, other than my wifi bill.

PM me for more info.

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 13, 2017, 03:46:07 pm
sAME HERE.

Legally? Lol

RazorPiggie

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2017, 03:48:16 pm
Legally? Lol

Well I got every NCAA game I wanted to watch via ESPN app and PSVue. Got an antenna for the local NFL games.

rhames

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 13, 2017, 03:58:01 pm
Well I got every NCAA game I wanted to watch via ESPN app and PSVue. Got an antenna for the local NFL games.

But you had to pay for PSVue and aren't getting every NFL game over the antenna

The post you quoted said they got all of that and only had to pay their internet bill

waphill

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2017, 03:48:16 pm
Legally? Lol

Since he said pm for info, probably not legal. I'd bet it's a Kodi box.

gchamblee

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 13, 2017, 12:32:59 pm
We have PlayStation Vue, high speed internet(Cox)and a window HD antenna for locals.  Ozarks Electric is currently running fiber optic 1000mbps OzarksGo in our area and we will switch to that in place of 100mbps from Cox.  PS Vue can run through a console or Roku device. It also has the capability of recording, which Sling does not.  You can also watch PS Vue on multiple devices at the same time. PS Vue is going up in price to $45/month, internet and TV will run about $145 for us, which is still better than other packages I've priced.  We have SEC Network, NFL, MLB, and several others as part of our package.  We've been pleased in the year we've had it.

You are running an identical setup as me. My internet is Cox Business, since I need a static IP Address for work, but that comes with unlimited data. I would like to know what brand/model of window HD antenna you are using. I am in Fort Smith, so I guess it would need to reach NW Arkansas since our local stations moved up there.

I have the largest bundle option with PS Vue for all the soccer channels for my kid, plus I wanted HBO/Showtime built into it. It is 69.99 per moth, but is increasing in 3 months.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on July 13, 2017, 11:25:41 am
check your inbox. i hate to see people still paying for sports. it's FREE , man!!

I switched to Gigabit internet and it is awesome, man!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

gchamblee

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2017, 01:02:07 pm

Most speeds are plenty of bandwidth for streaming. What people most often overlook is the cpu in their wireless router. If you buy a cheap piece of crap router and then start connecting multiple phones/xbox/laptop/tablet/computer/television to it, it will begin to feel like your bandwidth is saturated even though it isn't. The router has to be powerful enough to handle all of that traffic to all of those devices. I dropped 300 bucks on a top of the line Asus router and everything improved noticeably.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: gchamblee on July 13, 2017, 04:27:51 pm
Most speeds are plenty of bandwidth for streaming. What people most often overlook is the cpu in their wireless router. If you buy a cheap piece of crap router and then start connecting multiple phones/xbox/laptop/tablet/computer/television to it, it will begin to feel like your bandwidth is saturated even though it isn't. The router has to be powerful enough to handle all of that traffic to all of those devices. I dropped 300 bucks on a top of the line Asus router and everything improved noticeably.
look above you. that is a stock router. it's the only way to go, OZARKSGO.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

gchamblee

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 13, 2017, 04:29:01 pm
look above you. that is a stock router. it's the only way to go, OZARKSGO.

You really didn't understand my post at all.

rhames

July 13, 2017, 04:49:28 pm #25 Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:36:18 pm by rhames
Quote from: gchamblee on July 13, 2017, 04:27:51 pm

"Most speeds" is a pretty general statement. Some places can only get like 3mbs, may be even less than that . My top speed offered  is 10mbs. 10 is enough for me to stream at 4k and it takes a minute to get to that quality. I don't have a lot of people streaming at the same time.

kodiakisland

Quote from: younghog on July 13, 2017, 01:27:29 pm
I love my Dish Network.. Got the basic plan.. Get SEC NETWORK and can watchESPN  on FireStick via my DISH account..

paying under $100 without fail.

GO HOGS

Explain to an old person how this works.  I am happy with the lower package from DISH but want the SEC channel.  Talk slow like you would for your grandpa.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LRHawg

Would have cut the cable long ago, but love the Directv app and being able to watch all my stuff anywhere, anytime. I do a good chunk of my TV watching from my phone.

hogsanity

Just get psvue, direct now, amazon, hulu, a digital antennae, high speed internet, roku, 2 or 3 devices for each tv to stream each service, or go buy some new smart tv's, and by the time you are done you might save $5.

Or you can pay the $120 a month for something that is on 24/7/365 and not have the hassle of all you have to do to stream stuff, especially if you have more than 2 tv's. I mean $120 is $4 a day.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jabber71

I have Dish Hopper and I love it. MY bill with tax is $38 for their Top 120 on 3 tvs. I can get you the same deal if your interested. But you do have to sign up for 2 years.
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

rangertaunton

We have Comcast Xfinity X1,and it's by far the best cable TV I have ever had. I've lived in some big markets over the last 15 years so I've tried pretty much all the big providers. X1 just has so many cool options and apps available that I would be really upset if I had to ever get rid of it or move somewhere where it's not available. It is a little on the expensive side but in this day and age you really get what you pay far. When we moved last year I had to change my service over to the new house. They locked my price in for 2 years and gave me their biggest package that includes,SECN,HBO,Showtime,NFL,MLB,College Basketball package,75mb internet,and 2 years of Netflix. Like I said,I do pay a little more but to me it's totally worth it. I have a bundled package that includes not only my digital cable,but also super fast internet,a landline that I never use,but also a Home Security Package that includes a tablet that controls everything from the alarm system,lights and AC&Heat,to surfing the Net for $142/no. The only thing that I wish they would do is broadcast in true 4k,but not alot of providers do right now. My TV just upscales it to 4k right now which is fine. The picture is awesome. Not a bad setup for little ole West Monroe Louisiana. And another cool thing is being able to watch live TV on my tablet sitting in the deer stand. Sometimes i would have to pick between sitting on the stand and watching the game that I DVR. I don't have that dilemma anymore. I can have my cake and eat it too!!
Mess with the boar,get the tusks!!!

Quote from: rangertaunton on July 14, 2017, 06:15:15 pm
We have Comcast Xfinity X1,and it's by far the best cable TV I have ever had. I've lived in some big markets over the last 15 years so I've tried pretty much all the big providers. X1 just has so many cool options and apps available that I would be really upset if I had to ever get rid of it or move somewhere where it's not available. It is a little on the expensive side but in this day and age you really get what you pay far. When we moved last year I had to change my service over to the new house. They locked my price in for 2 years and gave me their biggest package that includes,SECN,HBO,Showtime,NFL,MLB,College Basketball package,75mb internet,and 2 years of Netflix. Like I said,I do pay a little more but to me it's totally worth it. I have a bundled package that includes not only my digital cable,but also super fast internet,a landline that I never use,but also a Home Security Package that includes a tablet that controls everything from the alarm system,lights and AC&Heat,to surfing the Net for $142/no. The only thing that I wish they would do is broadcast in true 4k,but not alot of providers do right now. My TV just upscales it to 4k right now which is fine. The picture is awesome. Not a bad setup for little ole West Monroe Louisiana. And another cool thing is being able to watch live TV on my tablet sitting in the deer stand. Sometimes i would have to pick between sitting on the stand and watching the game that I DVR. I don't have that dilemma anymore. I can have my cake and eat it too!!
Same here. People dog Comcast, but the X1 is awesome.

sshawg

Quote from: jabber71 on July 14, 2017, 09:33:45 am
I have Dish Hopper and I love it. MY bill with tax is $38 for their Top 120 on 3 tvs. I can get you the same deal if your interested. But you do have to sign up for 2 years.

Wow, does that include ESPN / SEC Net

Supermark101

There are a ton of options for streaming.
Each has pros and cons. It really just comes down to what channels you want and what you want to pay.

I have Hulu TV. It's cheaper when you include the on demand service, but it's only available on a few devices. It also includes CBS on demand which the others don't.

You can also just threaten to cancel to get some savings or go to your local cable company for an introductory rate.

DZ

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 13, 2017, 12:32:59 pm

Sling now has DVR service for $5- month..   

For some saying they hate Slingtv i'm curious what their internet speed is that they tried to use with it.. I couldn't be happier.  I had cox 15 mbps and had zero issues, maybe a very very occasional blip.  Now I have 100 mgbps  OzarksGO pretty much guarantees I'll have zero future issues.
total cost for slingtv for the channels I have is about $45-$50 per month includes all ESPN's SEC NET, Redzone, etc.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: DZ on July 16, 2017, 07:30:55 pm
Sling now has DVR service for $5- month..   

For some saying they hate Slingtv i'm curious what their internet speed is that they tried to use with it.. I couldn't be happier.  I had cox 15 mbps and had zero issues, maybe a very very occasional blip.  Now I have 100 mgbps  OzarksGO pretty much guarantees I'll have zero future issues.
total cost for slingtv for the channels I have is about $45-$50 per month includes all ESPN's SEC NET, Redzone, etc.
DVR wasn't available when we had Sling.  I didn't know that they offered it now.  Thanks for the update.  So I guess cost is about the same for Sling and PS Vue then.  We will probably stick with PS Vue due to the fact we can run it on 5 separate screens at the house simultaneously.  Either way folks go, if you've got a solid internet provider, you can beat the cable/satellite companies for sure.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

moses_007

Quote from: UAfan on July 13, 2017, 11:50:46 am
Thinking about switching from UVerse to Direct - anyone had any signal issues?
Every time it rains.  Neither Dish Network or Direc TV are reliable.

moses_007

PM me for more info.
Me too.  No more $80+ monthly television bills.  I will never go there again.

ARtillahog

younghog

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 13, 2017, 08:28:13 pm
Explain to an old person how this works.  I am happy with the lower package from DISH but want the SEC channel.  Talk slow like you would for your grandpa.

Yes.. Get the lowest package on Dish Network that has SEC network ch 408 included, this is simply so that you can watch it from DISH..  You can actually just get the lowest plan period without sec network.. Since you now are a DISH customer.. You have a login account to manage your account..

buy a 20 firestick from amazon.. <-- A FULL HDMI tool

All games that are not on SEC NETWORK i.e. ESPN3 will be shown on the WATCHESPN app  as well as other games.. You can watch on your pc or on the firestick.. The first time you enable it on the firestick you enter your dish network user name and password.

So those games that are on espn3 lets say a baseball game, I change sources on my tv to firestick, start the app and can watch the game realtime without issues.

Say I miss a razorback as I got home late and didn't record it on my dvr, I switch to watch espn and watch it from the beginning.

I have seen volleyball, soccer, track, you name the razorback sport on my $20 firestick live from the comforts of my on home for a while now. Most on here are missing the sign of the times..

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

rhames

You have to have the SEC network through dish, or which ever provider,  to stream it. If you have dish and your package doesn't include the sec network you can't stream it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: waphill on July 13, 2017, 04:09:45 pm
Since he said pm for info, probably not legal. I'd bet it's a Kodi box.
Kodi rules.

GuvHog

Quote from: younghog on July 18, 2017, 09:05:12 am
Yes.. Get the lowest package on Dish Network that has SEC network ch 408 included, this is simply so that you can watch it from DISH..  You can actually just get the lowest plan period without sec network.. Since you now are a DISH customer.. You have a login account to manage your account..

buy a 20 firestick from amazon.. <-- A FULL HDMI tool

All games that are not on SEC NETWORK i.e. ESPN3 will be shown on the WATCHESPN app  as well as other games.. You can watch on your pc or on the firestick.. The first time you enable it on the firestick you enter your dish network user name and password.

So those games that are on espn3 lets say a baseball game, I change sources on my tv to firestick, start the app and can watch the game realtime without issues.

Say I miss a razorback as I got home late and didn't record it on my dvr, I switch to watch espn and watch it from the beginning.

I have seen volleyball, soccer, track, you name the razorback sport on my $20 firestick live from the comforts of my on home for a while now. Most on here are missing the sign of the times..

GO HOGS

Nah, we just realize that you'll eventually end up playing the same higher prices that we are. As more and more people switch to internet streaming, the higher the prices for it will rise. The higher the demand, the higher the prices.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jabber71

July 18, 2017, 11:36:18 am #43 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:46:20 am by jabber71
Yes the includes all the espns, sec, big 10 and pac 12.

Dish allows 10 referral credits every year. each referral is $50 credit. my bill is $85 my credits are $50 so my bill is $35. I have done this for the last 4 years and never failed to get my referral credits. 1 year you got the credit + a ps3 for every 3 referrals, I got and sold 3 ps3's that year. Its legal and pretty easy to do.

No I do not bug my friends and families to get Dish. You just need to know how to use the internet. Also I have not been under contract for the last 2 years.
You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

hogsanity

Ok, for all you guys who are more in tune with this stuff than me, how can I save money and still get all that I have now with Cox? I have every channel package they have in Fort Smith except one $7 package. I get all the premium channels, their fastest internet ( our son is a gamer ), home phone line, dvr and 2 extra boxes all for $268 per month ( taxes and fees included ). The primary channels we watch are HGTV, DIY, Discovery, History, AHC, ESPN ( all of them ), Fox sports, USA, the local networks, fxx, mlbnetwork. 

I can tell you the internet by itself is $99 for 300mbps. So can I  LEGALLY get the rest elsewhere for $168 a month?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogFansReunited

I hate all of you with your fast internet speeds. Where I live, the fastest speed available is 12 mbps and it was just upgraded to that. It was 3 mbps for a long time.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Brad Turner

So how does one do this without asking friends and family for referrals?  I'm a dish loyalist, and know "how to use the internet"...

Quote from: jabber71 on July 18, 2017, 11:36:18 am
Yes the includes all the espns, sec, big 10 and pac 12.

Dish allows 10 referral credits every year. each referral is $50 credit. my bill is $85 my credits are $50 so my bill is $35. I have done this for the last 4 years and never failed to get my referral credits. 1 year you got the credit + a ps3 for every 3 referrals, I got and sold 3 ps3's that year. Its legal and pretty easy to do.

No I do not bug my friends and families to get Dish. You just need to know how to use the internet. Also I have not been under contract for the last 2 years.

rhames

Quote from: GirlHog on July 18, 2017, 11:59:12 am
Yes, it does use Kodi, but that's legal. Amazon uses Kodi. Our household will never go back to satellite again. In general, people are afraid of change. I was, too. But I was so tired of Directv and their bs that I finally bit the bullet.

Kodi is legal in some aspects but if you are getting all the ESPNs and NFL games without any subscription that isn't legal.

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on July 18, 2017, 11:50:46 am
Ok, for all you guys who are more in tune with this stuff than me, how can I save money and still get all that I have now with Cox? I have every channel package they have in Fort Smith except one $7 package. I get all the premium channels, their fastest internet ( our son is a gamer ), home phone line, dvr and 2 extra boxes all for $268 per month ( taxes and fees included ). The primary channels we watch are HGTV, DIY, Discovery, History, AHC, ESPN ( all of them ), Fox sports, USA, the local networks, fxx, mlbnetwork. 

I can tell you the internet by itself is $99 for 300mbps. So can I  LEGALLY get the rest elsewhere for $168 a month?

Yes. If you are looking to stream or switch services to direct or dish. You can always call cox and read off the latest promo for new direct/dish customers to see if they will match.

If you have at&t for wireless direct will be the way to go. IMO

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on July 18, 2017, 01:30:14 pm

Yes. If you are looking to stream or switch services to direct or dish. You can always call cox and read off the latest promo for new direct/dish customers to see if they will match.

If you have at&t for wireless direct will be the way to go. IMO

We are with verizon for wireless ( get it through work ). I've done dish, uverse, and now Cox. Was happy with all 3. Switched to Cox 2 years ago for the internet speed. Maybe downsizing come August as my oldest goes off to college.

Honestly I am just not too intrigued by having to do what some here say they do. I do not want to get some channels from this service and some from another, and have to fool with sticks and changing inputs and having limited or no dvr capabilities. Probably i'm most interested in dish because of the hopper.