Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas-Missouri high school all-star game?

Started by jbcarol, July 11, 2017, 10:25:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Arkansas and Missouri are looking for ways to stir up the Battle Line Rivalry

Mizzou's 28-24 comeback victory last season helped

As did the mouth of former Tigers linebacker Eric Beisel

QuoteBielema stated Monday at SEC Media Days he's had conversations about the two states potentially playing a high school all-star game.

Continues to look at the theoretical matchup including the states' top players by position.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

nwahogfan1

Missouri has many more kids to pick from and so should win the majority of the games but I think the games would be highly competitive and fun to watch. Let's do it.

hobhog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 11, 2017, 10:33:09 am
Missouri has many more kids to pick from and so should win the majority of the games but I think the games would be highly competitive and fun to watch. Let's do it.

I'd be far more interested in that than our instate All Star games. In.

tolerati

I would be for it.  I agree.  Much more interesting and entertaining.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Wildhog

Still can't believe the Hogs let that Biesel b**** punk them. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: tusked on July 11, 2017, 02:13:47 pm
CBB just saved WMS.

haha nah, prolly a bigger GSD again.  NWA would draw more fans

HillBillyHogfan

Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Hogwild

A little off topic, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Since University of Missouri has had a major drop in enrollment, down 35% since the campus upheaval, the university is hurting financially.  They have to layoff 400 employees and close 7 dorms.

A new plan for the dorms is to rent out room for the weekends of home football games.  One dorm will be available for the visiting team.

Wildhog

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on July 11, 2017, 02:37:02 pm

The Meth Bowl!

A better name than "Battle Line Rivalry."

Just awful.  Why do we have to let Bazzel name freaking everything?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2017, 02:14:56 pm
Still can't believe the Hogs let that Biesel b**** punk them.

Yep, that was pretty bad.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2017, 04:54:09 pm
And a ginger, at that.

Ginger or not, it was completely embarrassing. Bielema better put 50 on them this year (and not give up 40).

Großer Kriegschwein

I just vomited in the back of my throat even hearing about last year's game.

Great, now I have to hit the commode.
This is my non-signature signature.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 11, 2017, 04:56:29 pm
Ginger or not, it was completely embarrassing. Bielema better put 50 on them this year (and not give up 51).

Fixed it for you.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HardingHog

This past season I may have picked the Arkansas team to win based mostly off the fact that Arkansas had more top level talent. However, based on the 2018 class I'd put my money on Missouri. This is one of the better classes coming out of Missouri in quite a while

I think it'd be fun and a good game most years and I do think it may help to make some sort of rivalry. As far as location I'd probably go with Springfield, but if they want to go back a forth between campuses that'd be fine too. Missouri Southern, ASU, and SEMO are other possible locales I'm my mind

Wildhog

Quote from: HardingHog on July 11, 2017, 09:50:37 pm
This past season I may have picked the Arkansas team to win based mostly off the fact that Arkansas had more top level talent. However, based on the 2018 class I'd put my money on Missouri. This is one of the better classes coming out of Missouri in quite a while

I think it'd be fun and a good game most years and I do think it may help to make some sort of rivalry. As far as location I'd probably go with Springfield, but if they want to go back a forth between campuses that'd be fine too. Missouri Southern, ASU, and SEMO are other possible locales I'm my mind

No more neutral site games please.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2017, 10:19:00 pm
No more neutral site games please.

He's talking bout the high school game...

mizzouman

I'll be honest and not being a homer here, seriously.  But if all the top players from both states played, Missouri would win 8 out of 10. 

RME

Quote from: mizzouman on July 12, 2017, 09:13:33 am
I'll be honest and not being a homer here, seriously.  But if all the top players from both states played, Missouri would win 8 out of 10.

If one state doubles another in population, yeah that should be the case.

But a quick glance at each state's prospects the last couple of years leaves a lot to be desired from your end. The schools that the top-to-bottom ranked prospects commit to are pretty similar.

Missouri doubles Arkansas in population but barely produces much better prospects.

I'll be honest and not being a homer here, seriously. But I don't think you win 8 out of 10.

Hell, for a couple years starting in 2015, 247 has more Arkansas recruits than Missouri recruits in their state rankings.

mizzouman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 12, 2017, 09:22:16 am
If one state doubles another in population, yeah that should be the case.

But a quick glance at each state's prospects the last couple of years leaves a lot to be desired from your end. The schools that the top-to-bottom ranked prospects commit to are pretty similar.

Missouri doubles Arkansas in population but barely produces much better prospects.

I'm not being a homer here seriously, but I don't think you'd win 8/10.
I know, generally, that's there's more D1 players in Missouri than Arkansas.  The problem Arkansas will have is that talent drops off dramatically after, say, the top 8-10 players. 

But, if this happens, we will see.  You never know on a game by game basis. 

RME

Quote from: mizzouman on July 12, 2017, 09:27:41 am
I know, generally, that's there's more D1 players in Missouri than Arkansas.The problem Arkansas will have is that talent drops off dramatically after, say, the top 8-10 players.

But, if this happens, we will see.  You never know on a game by game basis.

Based on what?

247 number of in-state recruits listed at 3* or higher:

2015: Arkansas - 33, Missouri - 25
2016: Arkansas - 21, Missouri - 25
2017: Arkansas - 16, Missouri - 12

Again, for a state that doubles another in population and has large metro areas such as St. Louis and Kansas City, you don't have much room to wiggle.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

mizzouman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 12, 2017, 09:33:04 am
Based on what?

247 number of in-state recruits listed at 3* or higher:

2015: Arkansas - 33, Missouri - 25
2016: Arkansas - 21, Missouri - 25
2017: Arkansas - 16, Missouri - 12

Again, for a state that doubles another in population and has large metro areas such as St. Louis and Kansas City, you don't have much room to wiggle.
Can't user those numbers. 

RME

mizzouman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 12, 2017, 10:03:44 am
Then provide something to support your claim.
Any statistics I would bring can always be refuted by someone else's stats.  So, I'll just say it's a gut feeling. 

311Hog

AR has alot of raw unrefined HS talent for it's size and commitment.  I mean from what i have seen over the years HS 7 on 7 and AAU teams have done really really well on the national scene it is just a matter of getting the resources together and the kids to enter.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SECCountryHogs/status/885145687498915840

Quote"Like I said, I can't say much on that," Beisel said with a smile. "I will say that that team down south will always be below us — at least geographically, they will always be below us."

"Nobody wants to hear it, but Bret and I talk quite a bit," Odom said Wednesday. "There'll be some flame-stoking today, so get ready. That's why I brought Beisel."

Beisel delivered in buckets. On the possibility of a Missouri-Arkansas high school football game, which Bielema mentioned Monday, Beisel was ready:

"It just seems like we get all the top Arkansas recruits here," Beisel said. "So, I don't know how productive that would be, so if (they) want to play powerhouses like Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Parkway Central, guys out of those — you know, Ezekiel Elliott, guys like that. Let's make it happen."

Worked shoot
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

Quote"It just seems like we get all the top Arkansas recruits here," Beisel said.

Somebody can factcheck me but I can't think of one Arkansas kid, that we offered, that Mizzou stole from us.  Not a single one.

Crockett was a huge miss by us.  He would have been ours if we offered.

Byers should have been at Bama but got Philon'd due to grades by Saban.

Powell (QB at Fayetteville) is a good but under-recruited QB (was committed to Wake [CENSORED] Forest before flipping to Mizzou) and we already had our's on campus (Hyatt from Alabama).

Utsey is a defensive lineman from LR that I hadn't heard of until I looked at their roster.

There is another kid from Fayetteville walking on at Mizzou but I can't remember his name.

On the other hand, we have Brian Wallace (4 star offensive lineman) who had an offer from the tiggers.  We also have Hayden Johnson who went to high school practically on safe space u's campus and picked us despite them offering late.

ADD: I'm not sure if Armon Watts or Shane Clenin had offers.  We have six kids from Missouri on our current roster.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: factchecker on July 12, 2017, 10:36:17 am
Somebody can factcheck me but I can't think of one Arkansas kid, that we offered, that Mizzou stole from us.  Not a single one.

Crockett was a huge miss by us.  He would have been ours if we offered.

Byers should have been at Bama but got Philon'd due to grades by Saban.

Powell (QB at Fayetteville) is a good but under-recruited QB (was committed to Wake [CENSORED] Forest before flipping to Mizzou) and we already had our's on campus (Hyatt from Alabama).

Utsey is a defensive lineman from LR that I hadn't heard of until I looked at their roster.

There is another kid from Fayetteville walking on at Mizzou but I can't remember his name.

On the other hand, we have Brian Wallace (4 star offensive lineman) who had an offer from the tiggers.  We also have Hayden Johnson who went to high school practically on safe space u's campus and picked us despite them offering late.

ADD: I'm not sure if Armon Watts or Shane Clenin had offers.  We have six kids from Missouri on our current roster.

I can't remember any Arkansan that we offered that Mizzou signed.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: mizzouman on July 12, 2017, 09:58:22 am
Can't user those numbers.

Wait.

Why not? Seems to me that these should be *the* numbers to use in this discussion. 

RME

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 12, 2017, 12:08:13 pm
Wait.

Why not? Seems to me that these should be *the* numbers to use in this discussion.

It disproves his agenda, therefore the numbers are invalid.

RME

Quote from: factchecker on July 12, 2017, 10:36:17 am

https://twitter.com/DannyWest1/status/885227416733581312

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Großer Kriegschwein

That's frickin harsh.

Guess Beisel doesn't read.
This is my non-signature signature.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

mizzouman

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on July 12, 2017, 12:08:13 pm
Wait.

Those numbers don't tell the story

factchecker

Quote from: Wildhog on July 12, 2017, 07:54:39 pm
Love Danny West

He's stealing my material.   ;)

I would also add that the Walton's chose us over Missouri as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RME

Quote from: mizzouman on July 12, 2017, 07:56:50 pm
Those numbers don't tell the story

What story? Mind telling us? Or are you gonna just keep making empty statements?

jbcarol

mizzouman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 12, 2017, 08:13:48 pm
What story? Mind telling us? Or are you gonna just keep making empty statements?
I would suspect, at any given time, there's twice as many NFL players that played high school football in Missouri than Arkansas.

factchecker

Quote from: mizzouman on July 12, 2017, 08:47:10 pm
I would suspect, at any given time, there's twice as many NFL players that played high school football in Missouri than Arkansas.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

mizzouman

Quote from: factchecker on July 12, 2017, 08:56:06 pm

Ok so 1.84 times more born in Missouri that are in the NFL than Arkansas. Not quite twice but close. But born in and went to high school are 2 different things.

ATU HOG

Don't see it happening, though it is a cool idea.  If you are a D1 player, do you think your coach wants you playing another game at the high school level?  It's a very cool idea I think, just don't think coaches would love their prospects coming in playing in another game where they could get injured.

In high school I can remember prepping for Tyler Wilson in baseball for state tourney.  Tyler ended up having something going on with his arm, and from what we heard Petrino didn't want him throwing another baseball the rest of the year.  We face their number 2, who was about 7-8mph less than Wilson, and we couldn't get a run across.  Somewhat similar situation.

BluegrassRazorback

July 12, 2017, 09:24:17 pm #47 Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:06:06 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Rivals are how you're measured - accepting Mizzou as a ruvial is so disappointing

No offense to Mizzou - but beating them doesn't help Arkansas and they beating Ark only helps them a little

Losing to Mizzou is harmful - it affirms in the national conscience just how bad you are

Mizzou losing to Ark only affirms they were who you thought they were

I

#1 STUNNA

I used to coach in missouri and I thought the football overall was pathetic to what I was accustomed in Arkansas. Football just seems slow and underwhelming in missouri. Who would win if this game ever took place..no clue... But i would venture that arkansas produces a larger amount of athletes.

mizzouman

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on July 12, 2017, 09:24:17 pm
Rivals are how you're measured - accepting Mizzou as a rivial confirms And promotes Arkansas insignificance  is Mizzou really. Who you want to be measured ?  It's Ok Mizzou wants to beat Arkansas - I get that - they are used to playing insignificant ruvial games - after all - don't you remember the nation waiting up just to find out the Mizzou vs Kansas tilt?  If Arkansas isn't careful the Screw job the SEC did by alien Inf the Razorbacks with Mizzou only assures Arkansas being sentenced to the hintet land of the football universe - just look at the games declining TV rating ? games against Miizzou have no impact - you beat them - you should have - you loose to Mizxou - your program sucks
Compare records, final top 25 rankings, head to head competition and first round draft picks over the last 10 years. Then come back and we can discuss.