Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil Steele's Podcast on the SEC West

Started by Al Boarland, July 11, 2017, 07:30:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 13, 2017, 07:35:59 pm

Uhh he did back in 2013 on his radio show with Ruskin before Tyler took over for him when he left

He was always late to the show and sometimes maybe still a little drunk. That's neither here nor there though.

I'm telling you his knowledge is no better than even yours guv and that is not saying a lot.

You just like him cause he is a homer for the hogs on the sec network. 

Branden Allen wasn't ready in 2013 and shouldn't have been the starter. Stoerner wasn't the only one to believe that.

I'm saying you are wrong about his knowledge.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2017, 07:39:32 pm
Branden Allen wasn't ready in 2013 and shouldn't have been the starter. Stoerner wasn't the only one to believe that.

I'm saying you are wrong about his knowledge.

Agree to disagre

Also I'm pretty sure brandon was the only quarterback in 2013. Can't even count AJ

My point waa he raked Brandon over the coals the pulled the "whole told you So" when Brandon started having success like he was predicting it all along
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ZERO

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2017, 04:09:02 pm
Makes sense. I'm all in for the Hogs every year but I agree with you about what I see as an inability to find that, "go for the throat" mentality when we have a team down. Over the last three years we probably could have/should have won 8 more games than we have, all legit reasons and/or excuses aside. So while I love our Hogs and I am excited to get the season started, I want to see the team play as they area cable of playing or heaven forbid, play inspired over-their-heads football on a consistent basis. And yes, finish games. If they don't I won't abandon them...the Hogs are my team. But if the facts end up being that in year 5 Bielema can't produce 9 wins or at least 8 with the four that we lose being all very competitive games where we aren't just blowing it, then I will be in the camp that Long needs to start looking for a replacement for 2019.

After the Missouri and Virginia Tech games, I'm afraid after four years, Bielema has shown this is a trend we can't buck. We seem to falter greatly in the second half with or without a lead. Since 2013, we've failed to score at all in the second half in 9 games, and managed less than a TD in an additional 5 games. That's almost an entire season of zero points for the second half of the game, and well over a season of negligible production. If we can fix that this season, then I feel like we're going to go 8-4 at least and stay respectable in most games. That'll go a long way in fixing the problem.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

wildhogman

Quote from: fieldturf on July 13, 2017, 07:30:12 pm
That's why we need a coach like Alabama, and we had that and now he's at Louisville.  Oh and no one remembers why he got fired here except for the Arky fans....
since you brought it up all I remember about the guy is last year. Finished with 3 losses, including Houston. Is Houston even in a P5 conference?  Couldn't get that magical "10th" win. Lost another bowl game. Just shooting you a little perspective.

ZERO

Quote from: wildhogman on July 13, 2017, 09:06:03 pm
since you brought it up all I remember about the guy is last year. Finished with 3 losses, including Houston. Is Houston even in a P5 conference?  Couldn't get that magical "10th" win. Lost another bowl game. Just shooting you a little perspective.

To be fair, Houston was stupid good the past two years under Tom Herman. For what it's worth, I'm not sure Petrino would have ever won the SEC. But I do believe he could have won 8/9 games on a yearly basis, with years like '10 and '11 when we had a senior laden class or a good in-state haul. Next year, for instance, is going to be a good in-state haul.

Petrino was likely leaving or getting fired for some reason or other. Or he was gonna piss off enough boosters. Either way, I don't believe we sold off our one and only hope, just the best coach we've had since Hatfield. I believe Arkansas can win 8 or 9 on average, rather than 6 or 7 on average. If we can up our wins by just a couple (not so far-fetched if you look at some of the atrocious teams we've lost to, or some of the games we've gift-wrapped and given away), then we'll be where we need to be to stay poised to make a run at the SECCG once or twice a decade. I'm trying to get over the sour taste left by last year and jump back on the Bielema bandwagon that I was on for four years, but he's gotta give us something to work with here. Something, anything to show that we can be hopeful that he'll get this thing figured out.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

ZERO

That's why we need a coach like Alabama, and we had that and now he's at Louisville.  Oh and no one remembers why he got fired here except for the Arky fans....

Petrino is great. And he may even reach the playoffs someday at Louisville where the ACC isn't quite as deep on average as the SEC. Or it could end up biting Louisville in the ass again. Things were looking great for us until they suddenly and horrifically weren't; that's how it works with people like Bobby.

I've gotten to the point where I believe Bielema isn't the answer, although he has two more years at minimum to prove me wrong. And if he isn't, BP isn't the one magical coach who could have led us (if he even could) to the Promised Land. We'll eventually get the hire right one of these days and hold on to him. I'm not going to say Arkansas is a sleeping giant, but we can be a lot better than this. From what I understand based on what others on this forum have said, if central Arkansas ever gets its ish together regarding the athletes in and around Little Rock, then we could be better than we've ever been since joining the conference.

Mike_e

BP is one of those guys that are so smart that they're stupid.

Borderline brilliant but forget that even though other people may not be so bright if you put enough of them together they'll drag you down every time.

That's not really what you want in a head coach.

OBTW  a LOT of other fans remember.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on July 13, 2017, 09:06:03 pm

For the record, Louisville is one of the favorites to win the ACC this year and possibly make the playoffs. I suggest that you remember that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2017, 07:55:34 am
For the record, Louisville is one of the favorites to win the ACC this year and possibly make the playoffs. I suggest that you remember that.

I'll be surprised if they win their Division.
Go Hogs Go!

wildhogman

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2017, 07:55:34 am
They were a favorite last year as well. lol.  Heck they might even make the play offs if they don't have to play any SEC teams.
Gotta give them credit though. In 2018 they open with Bama. They don't mess with a bunch of cup cakes on the OOC schedule. But they sure have a few twinkies  in conference.

rhames

Quote from: wildhogman on July 14, 2017, 10:10:49 am
They were a favorite last year as well. lol.  Heck they might even make the play offs if they don't have to play any SEC teams.
Gotta give them credit though. In 2018 they open with Bama. They don't mess with a bunch of cup cakes on the OOC schedule. But they sure have a few twinkies  in conference.

Uhhh pretty sure Clemson was the favorite

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

ArkansasI

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2017, 10:17:25 am

Did Louisville join the ACC?

wildhogman

Quote from: rhames on July 14, 2017, 10:17:25 am

did I say "the" fav?  I said "a" fav.  Clemson wasn't the only one picked to start the year. I suppose most picked them. But heck in the SEC even bama is not always unanimous. And once Loserville started blowing teams up their stock rose fast.

wildhogman

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 14, 2017, 10:20:30 am
Did Louisville join the ACC?
Ya know, I don't keep track of those east coast conferences much. But they play Clemson, boston college, FlSt, thats off the top of my head. Those ACC?

rhames

Quote from: wildhogman on July 14, 2017, 10:21:56 am
did I say "the" fav?  I said "a" fav.  Clemson wasn't the only one picked to start the year. I suppose most picked them. But heck in the SEC even bama is not always unanimous. And once Loserville started blowing teams up their stock rose fast.

"Favorite" implies majority.

Unless you were identifying who had them as a favorite, which you didn't.

rhames