Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil Steele's Podcast on the SEC West

Started by Al Boarland, July 11, 2017, 07:30:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

He is pretty high on the QB, OL and expects the defense to be better.  However, it doesn't appear that all that elevates us in the West standings when it's all said and done.  I just don't get, with the expected improvement, why the expectation is middle of the pack.  What can CBB do going forward if the above is true to push the program forward.  If those positional groups are strong that should put us in contention this year yet that isn't the expectation. 

So, if not now then when and how?

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/philsteele/2017/07/10/sec-west-preview

King Kong

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2017, 07:30:12 am

Experience wise next lines up better. Replacing 4 expect contributors on Defense and 3 on offense assuming no unexpected draft entrees.

Of course QB is one of those spots that must be replaced

MuskogeeHogFan

He is pretty high on the QB, OL and expects the defense to be better.  However, it doesn't appear that all that elevates us in the West standings when it's all said and done.  I just don't get, with the expected improvement, why the expectation is middle of the pack.  What can CBB do going forward if the above is true to push the program forward.  If those positional groups are strong that should put us in contention this year yet that isn't the expectation. 

This shouldn't surprise you. Every pundit that I have heard continues taking the safe road and saying, "6-6 or 7-5, maybe even 8-4 if everything goes right for them". It's the safe space, the safe projection. Some probably really believe what they are saying, others aren't sure what to expect, just like so many of us.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Whenever Saban gets tired of winning. Theres no parody in the West right now, Saban has destroyed the competition. Its Alabama and everyone else. We all hope to beat him, but we know the odds are slim. If you cant beat bama you cant win the west. We're all fish in a barrel for the time being
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rljjr

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 11, 2017, 07:58:48 am
Whenever Saban gets tired of winning. Theres no parody in the West right now, Saban has destroyed the competition. Its Alabama and everyone else. We all hope to beat him, but we know the odds are slim. If you cant beat bama you cant win the west. We're all fish in a barrel for the time being

I thought Blazing Saddles was a great parody of Westerns.

However, with regard to parity, you're right. Alabama sits at the top while the rest of the West are all grouped together by a game or two.

Redhogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2017, 07:54:41 am
This shouldn't surprise you. Every pundit that I have heard continues taking the safe road and saying, "6-6 or 7-5, maybe even 8-4 if everything goes right for them". It's the safe space, the safe projection. Some probably really believe what they are saying, others aren't sure what to expect, just like so many of us.
It does not....CBB now has a 4 going on 5 year track record here at Ar. for them to go on. They apparently feel that's all he's capable of here....we'll see.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 11, 2017, 07:58:48 am
If it were just Alabama some would be picking the Hogs to finish 2nd, no?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Redhogs on July 11, 2017, 08:25:32 am
It does not....CBB now has a 4 going on 5 year track record here at Ar. for them to go on. They apparently feel that's all he's capable of here....we'll see.

Yeah, I'm not buying MHF's theory.  EVERYONE is not playing it safe.  These guys love to go out on a limb.

go hogues

I just don't get, with the expected improvement, why the expectation is middle of the pack. 
Because the other teams in our division have expected improvement each year as well?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Al Boarland

Quote from: go hogues on July 11, 2017, 08:33:46 am
Because the other teams in our division have expected improvement each year as well?

Good point there.

rhames

I don't think every one who is predicting 7 wins is just being safe. I think anyoneknowledge would look at our schedule and say "yeah they will onky win 7."
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

RME

Quote from: go hogues on July 11, 2017, 08:33:46 am

Don't bring logic into this place

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Redhogs on July 11, 2017, 08:25:32 am

"It does not what"? Yes I agree, he has 4 years here and is going into his 5th season and I agree that we need to see more success than we have had in the past. OK? Got that out of the way.

That doesn't alter the fact that no one really knows what to expect which is why I believe that they choose the safe pick of anywhere from 5-7 to 9-4 (Phil Steele) and they all fall within that range. That alone tells you that they don't have any idea about how to accurately project what they expect the Hogs to produce. And really, most of us have no idea either. The Anti-Bielema crowd will as usual have a more negative projection. The Bielema homers will have a more favorable projection and others will be hanging around with the prognosticators in a "wait and see" mode. This last group is probably the biggest group by far.
Go Hogs Go!

nwahogfan1

We are very hopeful this will be the year we win 10 games under CBB but I doubt any of us are rushing out betting the farm on it.   Until we do it none of the national writers will predict it. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 11, 2017, 10:47:39 am
We are very hopeful this will be the year we win 10 games under CBB but I doubt any of us are rushing out betting the farm on it.   Until we do it none of the national writers will predict it.

I don't understand this line of thinking.  Until fans bet on the team experts won't pick the hogs to win games?

HF#1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2017, 07:54:41 am

Not sure I'd call it the safe road as much as the realistic road.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on July 11, 2017, 12:01:55 pm
Not sure I'd call it the safe road as much as the realistic road.

Picking the Hogs to lose to a team that is in their second year of rebuilding under a new HC isn't being realistic. Sadly, that's what some are doing.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 12:18:39 pm
Picking the Hogs to lose to a team that is in their second year of rebuilding under a new HC isn't being realistic. Sadly, that's what some are doing.

What team is that? South Carolina or Missouri?

Either game shouldn't be chalked up as an automatic win
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on July 11, 2017, 12:35:14 pm

What team is that? South Carolina or Missouri?

Either game shouldn't be chalked up as an automatic win

South Carolina. The Hogs won't lose in Columbia, SC and they aren't going to lose to Missouri in DWRRS either.

I'll go out even farther on a limb in some peoples eyes: I believe there is a very strong possibility that when Arkansas takes the field in Bryant Denny Stadium to play Alabama, the Hogs will be 5-0.

A lot of people are underestimating the Hogs this season. This is Bret's 5th season as Hog HC, his back is close to being up against a wall, and he as well as his assistants sense the urgency of the situation. The players realize it too and they be more than ready when they line up for the opening kick off against FAMU. I wouldn't want to be one of FAMU's players because the Hogs will be looking to take a years worth of frustration over how last season ended out on those guys. It ain't gonna be pretty from FAMU's standpoint.

TNhawgfan

When will the national writers have us contending for the West? As soon as we start recruiting as good as bama, auburn, and LSU. So basically never
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

daprospecta

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 12:44:39 pm
South Carolina. The Hogs won't lose in Columbia, SC and they aren't going to lose to Missouri in DWRRS either.

I'll go out even farther on a limb in some peoples eyes: I believe there is a very strong possibility that when Arkansas takes the field in Bryant Denny Stadium to play Alabama, the Hogs will be 5-0.
Guv. Very few people love the hogs as much as I do.  With that being said, the older I get(32), the further I remove the fan shades and start seeing our teams for what they are year in and year out.  It's tough to change a mindset and culture. Great players  can mask bad mindsets/tendencies i.e. McFadden,Felix, Hillis etc, but we are what we are.  We are a team that has a tendency to lose fire in the second half(call it quitting, whatever) and we have yet to beat TAMU under CBB and have always struggled with scrambling QB's(Kenny Hill). 5-0 is beyond optimistic based on past results.  This could be the year we right those wrongs right but I'm going to cheer for my hogs with a realistic view. 

GuvHog

Quote from: daprospecta on July 11, 2017, 12:57:04 pm
Guv. Very few people love the hogs as much as I do.  With that being said, the older I get(32), the further I remove the fan shades and start seeing our teams for what they are year in and year out.  It's tough to change a mindset and culture. Great players  can mask bad mindsets/tendencies i.e. McFadden,Felix, Hillis etc, but we are what we are.  We are a team that has a tendency to lose fire in the second half(call it quitting, whatever) and we have yet to beat TAMU under CBB and have always struggled with scrambling QB's(Kenny Hill). 5-0 is beyond optimistic based on past results.  This could be the year we right those wrongs right but I'm going to cheer for my hogs with a realistic view. 

I'll be 62 in November so I got you by almost 30 years (no disrespect meant). The hogs are way past due for another win over A&M and the Aggies are still trying to decide who will start for them at QB as no one has really stepped up and taken that position. That game will be pretty close as it always is but this time I believe the Hogs will get the win. By the way, Kenny Hill plays for TCU now and the Hogs beat him last season in Arlington at Amon Carter Stadium. The Hogs switched to the 3-4 to defend QB's like him better.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 01:06:15 pm
I'll be 62 in November so I got you by almost 30 years. The hogs are way past due for another win over A&M and the Aggies are still trying to decide who will start for them at QB as no one has really stepped up and taken that position. That game will be pretty close as it always is but this time I believe the Hogs will get the win. By the way, Kenny Hill plays for TCU now and the Hogs beat him last season in Arlington at Amon Carter Stadium. The Hogs switched to the 3-4 to defend QB's like him better.

There is no such thing as being due. That's a fan fabrication. Also, going out further on a limb doesn't increase a probability. It lowers it. We could very well lose to USCe or MIZZOU. Potentially both. It can happen and he the odds aren't that long.

BigE_23

He is pretty high on the QB, OL and expects the defense to be better.  However, it doesn't appear that all that elevates us in the West standings when it's all said and done.  I just don't get, with the expected improvement, why the expectation is middle of the pack.  What can CBB do going forward if the above is true to push the program forward. If those positional groups are strong that should put us in contention this year yet that isn't the expectation. 

We very well may be strong in those areas...but Alabama, LSU, and Auburn look to be STRONGER.

hogsanity

until the defense proves they can actually stop the other team then predicting more than 6 or 7 wins is really really tough.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Al Boarland

Quote from: BigE_23 on July 11, 2017, 01:16:55 pm
We very well may be strong in those areas...but Alabama, LSU, and Auburn look to be STRONGER.

You may be right. If that's the case wheels are just spinning. Putting a L by those games leaves little margin for error.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2017, 01:14:10 pm
There is no such thing as being due. That's a fan fabrication. Also, going out further on a limb doesn't increase a probability. It lowers it. We could very well lose to USCe or MIZZOU. Potentially both. It can happen and he the odds aren't that long.

I respectfully disagree. You are underestimating this year's Hog team.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 01:21:21 pm
I respectfully disagree. You are underestimating this year's Hog team.

I hear ya. Me and everyone else, I suppose.

GuvHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on July 11, 2017, 01:16:55 pm

LSU isn't going to be stronger than Arkansas at QB. At other positions they probably will be stronger but not at QB.

bennyl08

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2017, 01:14:10 pm

Mizzou projects to have the best offense in the SEC next year, but their defense could be even worse. I'd put up our offense (with a healthy Allen) against anybody else in the country next year. Worst case, this game will be a shoot out in which being the home team with one of the top qb's in the country, we have at worst a 50/50. Best case, our defense is clicking by then and we probably still play close in the first and pull away in the second half. Middle case, it's a close game, but our defense makes enough stops that we win by 10 points or so but never quite pull away.

SC by any logical reasoning should be strongly in our favor. Think about how bad our defense was last season. That was historically bad for our program. Now, realize that SC's offense wishes it was as good as our defense was bad. Yes, they return a lot of players from that offense. However, they'd have to improve 30+ rankings to be as good on offense as we were on defense last year. Realize this for a second. Their offense could improve 100 spots in the rankings and they still wouldn't be a top 10 offense. I fully expect them to be significantly improved on offense, probably jumping up 30-40 spots, which is a pretty massive jump, which would still put them a very, very bad offense ranking, greatly improved from one of the worst offenses ever. Our achilles heel has been our defense, while our offense has been able to move with surgical precision even against extremely good defenses. Defense was what sent SC to a bowl game last year, and their defense wasn't top 30 either. That team would have to pull around arguably the greatest one year turnaround in the history of college football IMO to be a team that beat us. And that is including Auburn's extreme bi-polar nature.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BigE_23

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 01:26:03 pm
LSU isn't going to be stronger than Arkansas at QB. At other positions they probably will be stronger but not at QB.
That's purely subjective...is Austin a more talented QB than whoever LSU will field? Probably...but he's actually probably a better passer than Hurts and Stidham as well. Are those other QB's going to be more 'successful' than AA? Yep...because those teams are stronger across the board. So, it's a matter of apples to oranges and splitting hairs. They don't give out division championships to the team with the best QB. The simple truth is that - right now - our "getting stronger" still isn't strong enough.

presidenthog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 12:44:39 pm

A lot of people are underestimating the Hogs this season. This is Bret's 5th season as Hog HC, his back is close to being up against a wall, and he as well as his assistants sense the urgency of the situation. The players realize it too and they be more than ready when they line up for the opening kick off against FAMU. I wouldn't want to be one of FAMU's players because the Hogs will be looking to take a years worth of frustration over how last season ended out on those guys. It ain't gonna be pretty from FAMU's standpoint.

Strong words coming from him. It would be just like us to come out and win a bunch this year.

I don't have high expectations this year. Next year will be the best team bret has had, but will have a New qb.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 11, 2017, 01:37:55 pm
Mizzou projects to have the best offense in the SEC next year, but their defense could be even worse. I'd put up our offense (with a healthy Allen) against anybody else in the country next year. Worst case, this game will be a shoot out in which being the home team with one of the top qb's in the country, we have at worst a 50/50. Best case, our defense is clicking by then and we probably still play close in the first and pull away in the second half. Middle case, it's a close game, but our defense makes enough stops that we win by 10 points or so but never quite pull away.

SC by any logical reasoning should be strongly in our favor. Think about how bad our defense was last season. That was historically bad for our program. Now, realize that SC's offense wishes it was as good as our defense was bad. Yes, they return a lot of players from that offense. However, they'd have to improve 30+ rankings to be as good on offense as we were on defense last year. Realize this for a second. Their offense could improve 100 spots in the rankings and they still wouldn't be a top 10 offense. I fully expect them to be significantly improved on offense, probably jumping up 30-40 spots, which is a pretty massive jump, which would still put them a very, very bad offense ranking, greatly improved from one of the worst offenses ever. Our achilles heel has been our defense, while our offense has been able to move with surgical precision even against extremely good defenses. Defense was what sent SC to a bowl game last year, and their defense wasn't top 30 either. That team would have to pull around arguably the greatest one year turnaround in the history of college football IMO to be a team that beat us. And that is including Auburn's extreme bi-polar nature.

Both are tossups, IMO. Once the season gets going things may change.

Vantage 8 dude

July 11, 2017, 01:46:23 pm #33 Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:57:01 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2017, 08:59:36 am
"It does not what"? Yes I agree, he has 4 years here and is going into his 5th season and I agree that we need to see more success than we have had in the past. OK? Got that out of the way.

That doesn't alter the fact that no one really knows what to expect which is why I believe that they choose the safe pick of anywhere from 5-7 to 9-4 (Phil Steele) and they all fall within that range. That alone tells you that they don't have any idea about how to accurately project what they expect the Hogs to produce. And really, most of us have no idea either. The Anti-Bielema crowd will as usual have a more negative projection. The Bielema homers will have a more favorable projection and others will be hanging around with the prognosticators in a "wait and see" mode. This last group is probably the biggest group by far.
I believe a lot of the "wait and see" crowd, me included, are unsure as to whether or not we can actually finish more games in the second half. This has been one of our biggest Achilles' heel over the past several years, but most glaringly last season. There were at least three games-TAM (AGAIN), Mizzou and the bowl game against VT- that could/should have gone the other way. While we've most certainly had our issues on both sides of the ball, especially defense, it's the inability to "go for the throat and stomp on it" that has repeatedly been a major problem for the Hogs. Do we finally "GET IT" and develop a nastier streak or do we fall back into the same old (bad) habits? Therein lies the rub.....

GuvHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on July 11, 2017, 01:40:34 pm
That's purely subjective...is Austin a more talented QB than whoever LSU will field? Probably...but he's actually probably a better passer than Hurts and Stidham as well. Are those other QB's going to be more 'successful' than AA? Yep...because those teams are stronger across the board. So, it's a matter of apples to oranges and splitting hairs. They don't give out division championships to the team with the best QB. The simple truth is that - right now - our "getting stronger" still isn't strong enough.

LSU's QB is the same one that started last season and he's okay. He's a pretty good passer but he isn't going to beat anyone with his legs. Austin Allen is far better than he is. LSU's biggest threat by far is their starting RB and he's a good one.

BigE_23

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 01:49:47 pm
LSU's QB is the same one that started last season and he's okay. He's a pretty good passer but he isn't going to beat anyone with his legs. Austin Allen is far better than he is. LSU's biggest threat by far is their starting RB and he's a good one.
LSU beats people up front...they're freakishly athletic across the board. They're strong on both lines, have speed to spare all over the field, and yes - Guice is a stud. Etling is a game manager.

That is why Alabama will always beat LSU unless they ever have a QB that can put his team on his back and win the game. That's the larger point I'm making...if all things were equal and it was Austin vs Etling - then of course we'd win. But all things aren't equal.

GuvHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 11, 2017, 01:46:23 pm
I believe a lot of the "wait and see" crowd, me included, are unsure as to whether or not we can actually finish more games in the second half. This has been one of our biggest Achilles' heel over the past several years, but most glaringly last season. There were at least three games-TAM (AGAIN), Mizzou and the bowl game against VT- that could/should have gone the other way. While we've most certainly had our issues on both sides of the ball, especially defense, it's the inability to "go for the throat and stomp on it" that has repeatedly been a major problem for the Hogs. Do we finally "GET IT" and develop a nastier streak or do we fall back into the same old (bad) habits? Therein lies the rub.....

You make some good points and Arkansas did have some issues on both sides of the ball last year. The biggest problem on the offensive side was the O Line. Anderson was a first year O Line coach at Arkansas and he inherited a mess. He had 2 returning starters last year and the returning backups were inexperienced so he had to make an O Lineman out of a D Lineman. As a result there were problems all season. Now, Anderson has 4 returning starters and he's had a whole off season to get all of the O lineman ready to play. That's huge and they will be much improved.. The issues on defense were taken care of with coaching changes and the switch to the 3-4 defense, a scheme which fits the Hogs defensive players much better.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 02:08:14 pm
You make some good points and Arkansas did have some issues on both sides of the ball last year. The biggest problem on the offensive side was the O Line. Anderson was a first year O Line coach at Arkansas and he inherited a mess. He had 2 returning starters last year and the returning backups were inexperienced so he had to make an O Lineman out of a D Lineman. As a result there were problems all season. Now, Anderson has 4 returning starters and he's had a whole off season to get all of the O lineman ready to play. That's huge and they will be much improved.. The issues on defense were taken care of with coaching changes and the switch to the 3-4 defense, a scheme which fits the Hogs defensive players much better.
So, in your mind, all the issues from last season have been resolved. Hopefully you're right. Have you considered any improvement from opponents?

GuvHog

Quote from: BigE_23 on July 11, 2017, 01:56:25 pm
LSU beats people up front...they're freakishly athletic across the board. They're strong on both lines, have speed to spare all over the field, and yes - Guice is a stud. Etling is a game manager.

That is why Alabama will always beat LSU unless they ever have a QB that can put his team on his back and win the game. That's the larger point I'm making...if all things were equal and it was Austin vs Etling - then of course we'd win. But all things aren't equal.

Don't forget what happened down in Baton Rouge 2 years ago. A Hog win is possible but unlikely.

AugustaHog

Areas of improvement for me: QB, OL, entire D
Areas of stagnation or regression:  RB, WR, TE, STs

I think Allen will be improved due in large part to the OL getting better.  We lost Skipper, but another year in Anderson's OL room is going to have that unit sharper.  Our RB's will be good still.  You can't unexpectedly lose a guy like RW3 and suddenly be better.  I don't think they will be a liability though.  My feelings are similar on WRs and TEs.  We lost big-time contributors in those spots from last year.  I really like the new guys to go along with Cornelius and the addition of Patton to a really deep TE group.  Again these guys may not be as good as last year's crews (particularly early), but if the OL advances, the whole offense is going to take off.  The offense will be good.  I have faith in that. 

Defensively, it is just hard for me to see them being any worse than last season.  To allow 4 yards before contact on rushing plays last year is as bad as you can get.  I think we will be able to pressure the QB easier from the 3-4, especially as teams are trying to figure out what we are doing in the first few weeks.  If Harris and Greenlaw stay healthy, I think the ILB's are going to be pretty solid.  Far more athletic than with Brooksie last year.  If the pressure materializes as I hope, our DBs will be even better.  Pulley, Tolliver, Santos, and KRich are pretty tough.  They just can't be left out there to dry by poor pressure. 

As far as STs goes, I really can't fathom this being something we are going to excel at.  Hedlund is back for another go of it and that scares the hell out of me.  I don't know what to make of Blake Johnson at Punter.   Those were two highly rated guys that we gave schollies to out of HS and neither have really materialized into much.  Now that Baker is gone, Johnson has to step up. OR pray to the good Lord above that another really talented walk-on steps in and makes up for those guys lack of performance.  Returns and coverage have to get light years better as well.

The one thing that I don't see many people accounting for is the fact that the SECW is down from what it was a few seasons ago.  TAMU doesn't scare me (Hubenak anyone!), OM and MSU are closer to being what they were 6 years ago, and Auburn and LSU are badly flawed.  If we can find a backbone in the defense and be solid on STs, I think we can hurt some feelings.  It doesn't hurt that we get a nice East schedule with two winnable games.  This season is not without hope, but I get where the pundits are coming from.   

Tusks

The hogs haven't proven anything in 5 years, after last years collapse how can anyone blame the media for underestimating the hogs. 
They've got to prove it on the field, where it should be.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Al Boarland

Quote from: AugustaHog on July 11, 2017, 02:16:20 pm
The one thing that I don't see many people accounting for is the fact that the SECW is down from what it was a few seasons ago.  TAMU doesn't scare me (Hubenak anyone!), OM and MSU are closer to being what they were 6 years ago, and Auburn and LSU are badly flawed.  If we can find a backbone in the defense and be solid on STs, I think we can hurt some feelings.  It doesn't hurt that we get a nice East schedule with two winnable games.  This season is not without hope, but I get where the pundits are coming from.   

Most expect a resurgence in the SEC. Steele certainly does. QB play will be improved across the board. I don't see the deep flaws for LSU and AU. Can you provide some clarity on that? I understand LSU is limited at QB, but I'm not aware of any other deficiencies. They are young, but talented on D and have excellent coordinators. AU returns a lot of guys and potentially significantly upgraded at QB.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2017, 02:14:48 pm
So, in your mind, all the issues from last season have been resolved. Hopefully you're right. Have you considered any improvement from opponents?

Yes, I believe Bama will be better as well as Auburn and LSU. South Carolina will improve some but not enough to beat the Hogs, as was stated by someone earlier. Missouri will be a little better on offense but still bad on defense. Miss state will be about the same and Ole Miss will either be the same or worse as the NCAA investigation is really hurting the Rebels. A&M won't be as good.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 02:27:33 pm
Yes, I believe Bama will be better as well as Auburn and LSU. South Carolina will improve some but not enough to beat the Hogs, as was stated by someone earlier. Missouri will be a little better on offense but still bad on defense. Miss state will be about the same and Ole Miss will either be the same or worse. A&M won't be as good.

So, MIZZOU can be still bad on D, but we can't?

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2017, 02:24:11 pm
Most expect a resurgence in the SEC. Steele certainly does. QB play will be improved across the board. I don't see the deep flaws for LSU and AU. Can you provide some clarity on that? I understand LSU is limited at QB, but I'm not aware of any other deficiencies. They are young, but talented on D and have excellent coordinators. AU returns a lot of guys and potentially significantly upgraded at QB.

I agree that Auburn will have an upgrade at QB IF the guy can stay healthy and that's a BIG IF. That was by far his biggest issue before he transferred to Auburn. He was injured so often that he rarely got playing time.

The Hogfather

It really is crazy to think how different the perception of our program coming into this season would've been had we just finished off the Missouri/VT games.  We were clearly the better team in both of those games, but just didn't finish AT ALL, for whatever reason (EPIC collapses).  Had we won those two games, we'd be getting picked 2nd in the West or maybe even getting some picks to win it.

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 02:27:33 pm
Yes, I believe Bama will be better as well as Auburn and LSU. South Carolina will improve some but not enough to beat the Hogs, as was stated by someone earlier. Missouri will be a little better on offense but still bad on defense. Miss state will be about the same and Ole Miss will either be the same or worse as the NCAA investigation is really hurting the Rebels. A&M won't be as good.

Returning starters:

Team   Tot.   Off.   Def.   QB?

Georgia   17   7   10   Yes
Kentucky   17   8   9   Yes
S. Car   16   10   6   Yes
Vanderbilt   16   9   7   Yes
Auburn   15   8   7   Yes
Missouri   15   10   5   Yes
Florida   14   9   5   Yes
Tennessee   14   7   7   No
Arkansas   13   7   6   Yes
Miss State   13   7   6   Yes
Texas A&M12   5   7   No
Alabama   11   6   5   Yes
LSU           11   6   5      Yes
Ole Miss   11   5   6   No

Would love your reasoning as to why South Carolina "won't improve enough" to potentially beat us, and how Mississippi State "will be about the same."

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2017, 02:28:44 pm
So, MIZZOU can be still bad on D, but we can't?

Arkansas changed DCs and went to a scheme (3-4) that far better fits their personell so they will be better. Missouri did neither and will not be good on defense.

GuvHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 11, 2017, 02:40:18 pm
Returning starters:

Team   Tot.   Off.   Def.   QB?

Georgia   17   7   10   Yes
Kentucky   17   8   9   Yes
S. Car   16   10   6   Yes
Vanderbilt   16   9   7   Yes
Auburn   15   8   7   Yes
Missouri   15   10   5   Yes
Florida   14   9   5   Yes
Tennessee   14   7   7   No
Arkansas   13   7   6   Yes
Miss State   13   7   6   Yes
Texas A&M12   5   7   No
Alabama   11   6   5   Yes
LSU           11   6   5      Yes
Ole Miss   11   5   6   No

Would love your reasoning as to why South Carolina "won't improve enough" to potentially beat us, and how Mississippi State "will be about the same."

The reasoning  about South Carolina was posted above by someone else.

Miss State will have a good QB but not a great deal of talent around him.

RME

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 02:44:49 pm
The reasoning  about South Carolina was posted above by someone else.

Miss State will have a good QB but not a great deal of talent around him.

Based on what? Have you looked at their projected returning starters playing time and statistics compared to ours?