Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is Jason Kersey?

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 10, 2017, 09:38:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

For some reason, Paul Finebaum chose to put Kersey on the air today as an expert on the Razorbacks.

How long has this guy covered the Hogs? A year? Even that much? Not sure. Came out of nowhere.

Apparently, though, SEC Country paid to get some airtime for its writer guys.

Kersey sounds like he's smarter than the average Arkansas beat reporter, but he also does not appear to know much about how the roster has changed - other than who graduated + RWIII's gone.

Maybe it is prudent for a reporter to poor-mouth the Razorbacks and say they should win 6-7 games. But this guy with little perspective thought he was prepared to pronounce that Arkansas has no chance of getting out of its near-.500 status, because recruiting.

That is OK with me. He might be right. I do not like any Arkansas beat writers actively working to depress fan sentiment, but the Hogs really are in "prove something" mode.

Let them earn respect before they get any. Remember "Why not us?" last year? We found out why not. The team is not going to magically rise up just out of sheer optimism. They have to outwork, outplan and outplay opponents. And they have to stick to their plans when things get difficult.

AND they have to quit putting players in position to fail with poor strategy and tactics that ask players to do things they can't handle. The team will give up on you when you do that, as we learned last year.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

The funny part to me about Kersey's analysis was he said the defense would suck again because talented players left + we are adopting a new scheme with young players.

I can see the defense sucking again, but I'm optimistic about the possibility of improvement. And we didn't lose anybody who was really killing it either.

Kersey pretty much wrote off the offense because of the loss of RWIII. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the Hogs have enough running backs to make up for his absence. Meanwhile, I can't wait to see more speed at the wideouts + maybe better play at tight end + definitely better play on the line.
[CENSORED]!

theFlyingHog

We CAN be worse on defense, but not much. If the grumblings about RS were somewhat accurate then we could take a nice step forward under CPR just from players liking him and buying in more along with better communication. If you don't like the person you work under it becomes really easy to mail it in.

RWIII was a really good RB and would have been very experienced which helps but sometimes you find a diamond when you lose someone. Hopefully the younger backs will be competent in pass pro...if so we may not lose a step without RWIII

Großer Kriegschwein

I'm hoping that we can limit big chunk plays that absolutely spidermonkey'd us the last couple years.

Having 4 linebackers might help (or whatever particular variation of the 3-4 we end up running).
This is my non-signature signature.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Kersey does a pretty good job.

supersaint

I think that guy has cotton for brains.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Justifiable Hogicide

He acts and "reports" like somebody who is disappointed his employer assigned him to cover the Razorbacks.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 10, 2017, 09:52:12 pm
The funny part to me about Kersey's analysis was he said the defense would suck again because talented players left + we are adopting a new scheme with young players.

I can see the defense sucking again, but I'm optimistic about the possibility of improvement. And we didn't lose anybody who was really killing it either.

Kersey pretty much wrote off the offense because of the loss of RWIII. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the Hogs have enough running backs to make up for his absence. Meanwhile, I can't wait to see more speed at the wideouts + maybe better play at tight end + definitely better play on the line.

He's really an Oklahoma guy. 
Im not all that fired up about the season yet especially with the way last season ended but the last thing Im worried about is running back.  We thought there would be a hole there when AC left and DW/RWIII took over.

I think Devwah has more raw talent than RWIII.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 10, 2017, 09:38:47 pm
For some reason, Paul Finebaum chose to put Kersey on the air today as an expert on the Razorbacks.

How long has this guy covered the Hogs? A year? Even that much? Not sure. Came out of nowhere.

Kersey sounds like he's smarter than the average Arkansas beat reporter, but he also does not appear to know much about how the roster has changed - other than who graduated + RWIII's gone.

Maybe it is prudent for a reporter to poor-mouth the Razorbacks and say they should win 6-7 games. But this guy with little perspective thought he was prepared to pronounce that Arkansas has no chance of getting out of its near-.500 status, because recruiting.

That is OK with me. He might be right. I do not like any Arkansas beat writers actively working to depress fan sentiment, but the Hogs really are in "prove something" mode.

Let them earn respect before they get any. Remember "Why not us?" last year? We found out why not. The team is not going to magically rise up just out of sheer optimism. They have to outwork, outplan and outplay opponents. And they have to stick to their plans when things get difficult.

AND they have to quit putting players in position to fail with poor strategy and tactics that ask players to do things they can't handle. The team will give up on you when you do that, as we learned last year.
That made me laugh. I completely forgot about that "motto" from last season
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on July 11, 2017, 12:03:00 am
He acts and "reports" like somebody who is disappointed his employer assigned him to cover the Razorbacks.
If you listen to his podcasts he goes out of his way pretty often to let you know that he isn't an Arkansas fan, so take that how you want
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I listen to his podcast at work to help pass the time, and he's been on there dogging the defense all off season. By the way he talks you'd think half of our team should be playing for UCA or something

Polecat

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 10, 2017, 09:38:47 pm

It's clear that recruiting is a big part of why our program is seen as a perennial .500 football team. Player development and "coaching them up" can help some, but it really is about the Jimmy's and Joes. I live in Texas and see tweets from the Houston paper about Herman getting 5 star and 4 star commits for UT left and right. A&M nabbed the St. Pius X quarterback who had Hog bloodlines away from us. Meanwhile, the Hogs grabbed 3 or so four-stars early on for 2018, but I read about my Hogs getting excited about 3-star players in Georgia visiting, one of which snubbed us for Louisville. As long as we keep on signing recruiting classes that are ranked in the mid to lower half of the SEC, that's where the team will end up finishing year after year.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Polecat on July 11, 2017, 08:21:18 am
It's clear that recruiting is a big part of why our program is seen as a perennial .500 football team. Player development and "coaching them up" can help some, but it really is about the Jimmy's and Joes. I live in Texas and see tweets from the Houston paper about Herman getting 5 star and 4 star commits for UT left and right. A&M nabbed the St. Pius X quarterback who had Hog bloodlines away from us. Meanwhile, the Hogs grabbed 3 or so four-stars early on for 2018, but I read about my Hogs getting excited about 3-star players in Georgia visiting, one of which snubbed us for Louisville. As long as we keep on signing recruiting classes that are ranked in the mid to lower half of the SEC, that's where the team will end up finishing year after year.
Most of those big name kids want to play for big name schools. Often times these kids want to impress classmates and friends with their commitment. Unfortunately for us, the world still see's Arkansas as a joke. A few weeks ago we had a big defensive lineman on campus (trout) and he talked about liking Arkansas "even though its a little country". Well apparently it was too much for him because we didn't make the top 9 school list he released WHILE ON CAMPUS! To prove my point even further, I was on a sports message board talking with some Californians the morning of NSD 2014. We were waiting on Solomon Thomas (5* btw) to commit to either us or Stanford. The guys on the message board were saying they had no worries because why would a top player go to a school in the woods (that's how were perceived) when a big program in the city wanted him

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 11, 2017, 05:44:18 am

I think Devwah has more raw talent than RWIII.
Agreed.  He has the IT factor.  RWIII learned his position quickly and played well but I think Whaley's ceiling is higher.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Sivad

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on July 11, 2017, 09:20:38 am
http://newsok.com/article/5494541
Reading about Jason Kersey reminds one of the SEC assigning certain refs to work our games.

FutureMan

Kersey does a good job.  It's beneficial to get a perspective from someone who has no ties to the state or rooting interest in the Hogs.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: FutureMan on July 11, 2017, 10:31:49 am
Kersey does a good job.  It's beneficial to get a perspective from someone who has no ties to the state or rooting interest in the Hogs.
I cant get down with someone who doesn't like a group of players but cant tell you why. "I don't think theyre good enough" isn't a reason.

nwahogfan1

Its good to get out side the state opinions. Maybe we do not like them but we need to listen objectively. 

Where is Stoerner?

OKHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 11, 2017, 10:40:44 am
Its good to get out side the state opinions. Maybe we do not like them but we need to listen objectively. 

Where is Stoerner?

Funny you say that, he did an analysis over several tweets last night that basically said "Offense will surprise people, defense will improve" he was really big on AA and thought the OL will be much better. Can't say I disagree

010HogFan

never have liked Kersey. Don't really know why.

GoHogzzGo

Sounds about right. Tough sledding this year in the SEC West. Should expect 6-7, as does vegas.

Recruiting will always hold us back, unless we get a top 3 coach like Petrino again.

Nothing ground breaking on either point.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

AugustaHog

If you look at the product that the returning players put on the field, it's hard to justify a ton of excitement that our defense will take a big leap.  Getting marginally better would not be hard, simply based on the fact that we were historically bad last year against the run.  Personnel has not significantly improved in the last few months.  I do think you see guys playing better because of maturity (Sosa, Harris, Ramsey, etc.).  The scheme is going to be different and that is, perhaps, the one thing to really hold on to.  It will be interesting to find out if Robb Smith's scheme/play calls were as bad as many of us thought at the time.  If Rhoads can inject some energy and aggressiveness while cleaning up the fundamentals, maybe we could be a middle of the SEC defense this season.  If so, that just might be enough to have a solid year.  It's hard to fault Kersey for his statements because I haven't seen evidence that would indicate that there is reasonable expectation for significant improvement.  Hope like hell that I'm wrong and we see massive improvement across the 3-deep and the scheme is a world-beater. 

MissippHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 11, 2017, 10:34:47 am
I cant get down with someone who doesn't like a group of players but cant tell you why. "I don't think theyre good enough" isn't a reason.
Sometimes it really is that simple though and doesn't need a long explanation why.  Same goes for some reporters.  Sometimes they're just not good enough.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on July 11, 2017, 09:20:38 am
http://newsok.com/article/5494541

Great background, thanks. He really doesn't know anything about Arkansas. Not a goob though.
[CENSORED]!

LRHawg

Fair assessment, I suppose. Maybe OK and OK State will get added to the SEC, then Jason can go back to bootlicking the current OU coach.

GuvHog

Quote from: AugustaHog on July 11, 2017, 01:36:15 pm
If you look at the product that the returning players put on the field, it's hard to justify a ton of excitement that our defense will take a big leap.  Getting marginally better would not be hard, simply based on the fact that we were historically bad last year against the run.  Personnel has not significantly improved in the last few months.  I do think you see guys playing better because of maturity (Sosa, Harris, Ramsey, etc.).  The scheme is going to be different and that is, perhaps, the one thing to really hold on to.  It will be interesting to find out if Robb Smith's scheme/play calls were as bad as many of us thought at the time.  If Rhoads can inject some energy and aggressiveness while cleaning up the fundamentals, maybe we could be a middle of the SEC defense this season.  If so, that just might be enough to have a solid year.  It's hard to fault Kersey for his statements because I haven't seen evidence that would indicate that there is reasonable expectation for significant improvement.  Hope like hell that I'm wrong and we see massive improvement across the 3-deep and the scheme is a world-beater. 

According to CBB, the 3-4 defense fits the Hogs defensive personell far better than the 4-3 they ran last season. That could play a huge factor in how much the defense improves too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on July 11, 2017, 12:03:00 am

Lol, yes, he and his buddy Shadid were transported from Oklahoma, they haven't ever seen happy here.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 04:56:04 pm
According to CBB, the 3-4 defense fits the Hogs defensive personell far better than the 4-3 they ran last season. That could play a huge factor in how much the defense improves too.

I'll translate that for you.

--We can't recruit enough good d-linemen, so this fits better with what we can recruit.--

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 11, 2017, 07:05:27 am
If you listen to his podcasts he goes out of his way pretty often to let you know that he isn't an Arkansas fan, so take that how you want

You don't want a homer on your beat. We see what that looks like regularly.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2017, 05:17:30 pm
Lol, yes, he and his buddy Shadid were transported from Oklahoma, they haven't ever seen happy here.

I saw that also. Odd that both would transplant. Maybe the Daily Oklahoman is in worse $$$ shape than I thought.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

lumphog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 10, 2017, 10:08:19 pm
Kersey does a pretty good job.
He's as good as Paul..... and Paul SUCKSSSS!!!!!!!!! Can they not find someone besides BaldJerrySpringer to cover the SEC???

HamSammich

How is that funny? That is low hanging fruit for an analyst. They are likely right as history has proven. It's not like we have 4th or third year players in this defensive system....

You people just pretend like giving up 4772626282836 yards rushing against auburn was a fluke. I don't pretend . I analyze.

HamSammich

Maybe you people are all thinking this is going to be a rob smith savior year on defense.... where you all praise him and CBB to no end.... well not to mention you all turned on him in two years you are wrong. It's not a rob smith savior year. Talking head is spot on with our defense.

AugustaHog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 04:56:04 pm
The issue with this is that we still have to get an elite NT every couple years.  If you whiff on a guy you lack that space eater in the middle that makes the whole thing go.  It remains to be seen if Bijhon or Capps can be that guy.  Sosa looks real deal, but do we have two other DL and two other OLB that seem capable of being SEC caliber starters.  I think you can develop the OLB spot a little easier than the DT spot.  It's not something I think we are ready for right now and will be a work in progress until we develop those guys. 

Sivad

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 11, 2017, 05:29:30 pm
You don't want a homer on your beat.
Or someone who doesn't like your team and doesn't want to be covering it.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: MissippHog on July 11, 2017, 02:53:06 pm
Sometimes it really is that simple though and doesn't need a long explanation why.  Same goes for some reporters.  Sometimes they're just not good enough.
You tell me a certain player isn't good but cant tell me why? I call that B.S! Sorry I don't agree with you on this one

010HogFan

Quote from: Sivad on July 12, 2017, 12:11:50 am
Or someone who doesn't like your team and doesn't want to be covering it.

Exactly

Sed76

I'd rather hear someone be realistic than do like Razorback Nation with yearly preseason shows getting everyone's hopes up only to be disappointed. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter what any of these guys say, the team either wins or they don't.

Polecat

FWIW, Bret re-tweeted Kersey's story about Kevin Richardson. Article references "message board slights" that motivated the defensive back

https://twitter.com/BretBielema/status/884967491901980675

Al Boarland

Quote from: Sed76 on July 12, 2017, 09:51:18 am
I'd rather hear someone be realistic than do like Razorback Nation with yearly preseason shows getting everyone's hopes up only to be disappointed. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter what any of these guys say, the team either wins or they don't.

+1

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sed76 on July 12, 2017, 09:51:18 am

Yeah, god forbid getting people hyped up for the upcoming season.

The_Boot_stops_here

Kersey and the SEC Country staff are talented.  I don't always agree with them but they put out a lot of content and cover the Hogs well.  I don't mind that they aren't "fans".  Maybe that's a positive thing.  I'm thankful the AJC put SEC Country together.

bphi11ips

Quote from: FutureMan on July 11, 2017, 10:31:49 am

Maybe.  SEC Country is one of the better sites covering college football. I have to think its editorial policy is different than an in-state publication.  The AJC may see online sports coverage as a growing industry where objective, credible coverage will draw serious sports fans on a regional basis. That may require a different approach to content if your target is only in-state and loyal out-of-state fans.  In other words, it may be more important for Kersey to be right than for him to cater to the fanbase.  He's just taking a cautious approach.  If he turns out to be wrong, he's saying what his peers outside of Arkansas are saying.

The best prognosticator of Arkansas football in my opinion was Orville Henry.  He knew his readership, but Orville was no sunshine pumper.  He could ride the fence between being an unabashed hometown sportwriter who loved the team he covered, but he could also tell us what he thought before the season and before and after each game without appearing biased.  And the man knew out knew college football. He also wrote beautifully. 

I sort of hear Orville's voice in my head every year when I decide in my own mind what I think the Hogs are going to do.  Orville placed a premium on the schedule when predicting results.  He also understood the intangibles of the college game.  He'd love Austin Allen.  I think he'd look at the schedule this year and see three guaranteed wins, one almost guaranteed loss, two probable losses, and six that could go absolutely either way.  And that is assuming no key injuries.  Then he'd talk about the importance of early momentum and point out it can go either way.  He'd ultimately conclude we could go anywhere from 5-7 to 10-2 and give us all the reasons why either is possible. Then he'd end with a positive spin.

Orville had the benefit by the time I started reading him in the late 60s of having written about the Hogs for 20 years.  He would cover them for another 30 plus years.  For that reason, and because he had a coach's understanding of the game, he was the most accurate of anyone with his forecasts.  They weren't always the same as the crowd's. Sometimes he would think the Hogs were overrated.  Sometimes he would predict a conference championship when we weren't the favorite.  He was often right.

Kersey may be a fine young journalist. But he lacks the institutional knowledge that comes with covering a team for a lifetime the way Orville Henry did and the way Mike Irwin has.  So just take what he says with a grain of salt and realize he is just another young writer on his way to his next gig.  Then listen to Orville's voice in your head if you were lucky enough to have spent years reading him like many of us did, or pay attention to what Mike Irwin says, because he's now the Dean of the sportwriters who really know the program inside and out.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Polecat

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 12, 2017, 01:36:27 pm

He'd ultimately conclude we could go anywhere from 5-7 to 10-2 and give us all the reasons why either is possible. ...

For that reason, and because he had a coach's understanding of the game, he was the most accurate of anyone with his forecasts. 

I get the gist of what you're trying to say. But a prediction that the team could finish anywhere from 5-7 or 10-2, that makes it pretty dang easy to be accurate.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Polecat on July 12, 2017, 01:46:47 pm
I get the gist of what you're trying to say. But a prediction that the team could finish anywhere from 5-7 or 10-2, that makes it pretty dang easy to be accurate.

Maybe I should have said this is the most unpredictable year I've seen in the almost 50 years I've been following Razorbacks football religiously.  I think Orville would say the same thing.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Sed76

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 12, 2017, 11:24:45 am
Yeah, god forbid getting people hyped up for the upcoming season.

They can do preseason shows without titles like "Primed for a Championship". Every year it's the same old thing, and it gets old. But if you want to get your hopes up because the show formerly known as Razorback Nation says this is going to be the year so be it. Some of us would rather just hear honest thoughts about the upcoming season.

Polecat

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 12, 2017, 02:38:56 pm
Maybe I should have said this is the most unpredictable year I've seen in the almost 50 years I've been following Razorbacks football religiously.  I think Orville would say the same thing.   

Ah, gotcha. Thanks man

Hogwild

Quote from: Polecat on July 11, 2017, 08:21:18 am
It's clear that recruiting is a big part of why our program is seen as a perennial .500 football team.

I think going 29-34 & 12-28 over the past 5 years has a lot to due with it.

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 12, 2017, 02:38:56 pm
What?  No mention of field position ???