Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ragnow on D?

Started by PossumFan, July 10, 2017, 12:45:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PossumFan

Just heard on Media Days there's been talk of Ragnow playing a little on defense. News to me. Did I miss something?

younghog

no way this is happening..
GO HOGS

oldfart

i doubt it.. he could probably do well there but too important to our offense to risk any injury

forrest city joe

Quote from: PossumFan on July 10, 2017, 12:45:44 pm
Just heard on Media Days there's been talk of Ragnow playing a little on defense. News to me. Did I miss something?
NO NO NO NO=============================! this is no time to be getting cute. this defense was so bad last year that we don't need to be playing any dumb games.keep Frank on offense only.fix this defense with defensive players.

PonderinHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 10, 2017, 01:42:58 pm
NO NO NO NO=============================! this is no time to be getting cute. this defense was so bad last year that we don't need to be playing any dumb games.keep Frank on offense only.fix this defense with defensive players.
Like Froholdt ???

navyhog24

is it 2019 yet with a new head coach hopefully?

elksnort

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 10, 2017, 01:42:58 pm
I have to agree. The guy is your leader on the offensive line. Go recruit some defensive players.

PorkSoda

prolly just giving opposing teams something to think about.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hobhog

Heard he was moving to running back.

Arkansas Fan

More risk for him to get hurt.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

TNhawgfan

He's the reverse refrigerator perry
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

MuskogeeHogFan

Here is the situation that he would get an opportunity to catch a few snaps on defense if I were the HC. During the last half of the 4th quarter of our bowl game when we are ahead by 35 points. Then and only then, if I even think about that at the time.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogfan46

Part of a goal line defense to win an SEC game is the only way I think we would or should see him on D.

hawgwash

I remember Hogfanonthehill saying something about a new contributor at NG this year, and that's all he could say about it.  I thought maybe he meant his son.

Großer Kriegschwein

As to the OP,

Just no.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgwash on July 10, 2017, 06:27:07 pm
I remember Hogfanonthehill saying something about a new contributor at NG this year, and that's all he could say about it.  I thought maybe he meant his son.

No and it isn't Ragnow either.
Go Hogs Go!

presidenthog

Quote from: hawgwash on July 10, 2017, 06:27:07 pm
Said he had not contributed so far for the team.

#1Fan

CBB started bringing this up at the start of spring practice, so he must be somewhat serious about it if it's still on his mind.

crayola99

Honestly, this would rank up in the top 5 dumb things I've seen in CFB. A guy too valuable to riak to play in the spring game?  A legit NFL oline prospect?  And u are gonna risk him on the dline?  Surely this isn't true.

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 10, 2017, 05:19:14 pm
Here is the situation that he would get an opportunity to catch a few snaps on defense if I were the HC. During the last half of the 4th quarter of our bowl game when we are ahead by 35 points. Then and only then, if I even think about that at the time.
::)
Quote from: crayola99 on July 10, 2017, 07:55:28 pm
Honestly, this would rank up in the top 5 dumb things I've seen in CFB. A guy too valuable to riak to play in the spring game?  A legit NFL oline prospect?  And u are gonna risk him on the dline?  Surely this isn't true.
Thanks for saving me the time.

hawgon

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 10, 2017, 04:19:30 pm
prolly just giving opposing teams something to think about.

Yeah, I'm sure O-coordinators across the SEC are changing game plans as we speak based on that little nugget.  Lol ...Are you sure that you are not Houston Nutt?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Dear infant baby Jesus please don't let this happen. Even considering it is dumber than dinosaur chit. I guess we know who got the epidural now.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

HamSammich

Much ado about hype. I'd bet a few of my businesses you guys are just being taken in. You don't talk a second round draft pick back to play him on the opposite side ever.

lasthog

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 10, 2017, 04:03:24 pm
is it 2019 yet with a new head coach hopefully?

Nope,  still 2017, same head coach, same jerks on Hogville. 

HamSammich

That being said if CBB does this then I'll forever be one of his dissident posters

hoglady

If Ragnow gets hurt playing center - that's just football.
If Ragnow were to get hurt playing on defense - well that's stupidity - like Houston Nutt stupid.
Shouldn't risk an NFL talent by playing them out of position.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawgon

Would this finally convince some of you that we've hired a slightly more likeable version of Houston Nutt?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on July 10, 2017, 08:42:13 pm
Would this finally convince some of you that we've hired a slightly more likeable version of Houston Nutt?

It hasn't happened yet.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

Quote from: hawgon on July 10, 2017, 08:42:13 pm

This is all talk right now - still highly skeptical this would ever materialize.

Actually, the most concerning thing about it - the staff must be concerned the defense is really going to suck again this year to even consider this.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

This is a non story. Bielema joked about it during the spring and never mentioned it again, but saturday down south has been pushing it constantly, ya know since they dont do real articles on schools not named bama, auburn, or georgia
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

factchecker

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 10, 2017, 09:11:25 pm
This is a non story. Bielema joked about it during the spring and never mentioned it again, but saturday down south has been pushing it constantly, ya know since they dont do real articles on schools not named bama, auburn, or georgia

Truth right here.

Bielema mentioned it once on the Bo Mattingly show during the spring.  He basically said that Ragnow is so athletic that he could play almost anywhere on the field, including the defense.  Coach Rhoads was asked later about Ragnow coming over to defense and he laughed it off and said that it wasn't even discussed.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

From the Sporting News article linked above.

"Arkansas senior Frank Ragnow, arguably the top center in the country, might pull double duty this season.
Ragnow could see action on the defensive line, Razorbacks coach Bret Bielema said on Monday at the start of SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala.
"Coach B and I have talked about it in certain situations, and I'm all about it," said the 6-foot-4, 319-pound Ragnow, rated the 95th-best overall draft prospect, according to NFLDraftScout.com."

factchecker

Quote from: hoglady on July 10, 2017, 10:37:52 pm

"Arkansas senior Frank Ragnow, arguably the top center in the country, might pull double duty this season.
Ragnow could see action on the defensive line, Razorbacks coach Bret Bielema said on Monday at the start of SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala.
"Coach B and I have talked about it in certain situations, and I'm all about it," said the 6-foot-4, 319-pound Ragnow, rated the 95th-best overall draft prospect, according to NFLDraftScout.com."

I'd bet Ragnow would pass for a touchdown before playing a down on defense.  I was surprised we didn't get Skipper a play last season.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hoglady

Quote from: factchecker on July 10, 2017, 10:44:09 pm
I'd bet Ragnow would pass for a touchdown before playing a down on defense.  I was surprised we didn't get Skipper a play last season.

Sure hope so.

Oklahawg

How long until we play ball?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ChitownHawg

Jonestown around here. Hide the cups!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

rljjr

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 11, 2017, 04:42:22 am
Jonestown around here. Hide the cups!  ;D

Stay thirsty my friends.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: rljjr on July 11, 2017, 06:37:26 am
Stay thirsty my friends.

I think you and I may get chastised for our low grade humor.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hoglady on July 10, 2017, 10:37:52 pm

Articles like this are the reason writers get some much hate. I watched the entire SEC media day yesterday and never once did I hear bielema mention ragnow on defense. Also, when Frank talked about it, it was only when SDS guys asked him about it, and even then you could tell he thought it was a joke and didn't take it seriously.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

longtimeHogfan

So we held him out of the spring scrimmages to avoid injury but we're considering sticking him into the 'D' on special situations?  Oh, man....these guys get the big bucks but that just sounds like a special kind of dumb to me.

MuskogeeHF had it right....final two minutes of his last game as a Razorback, in our bowl game, up 35 points.  Nose guard.  Then and only then.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hawgwash

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on July 11, 2017, 05:13:22 pm
So we held him out of the spring scrimmages to avoid injury but we're considering sticking him into the 'D' on special situations?  Oh, man....these guys get the big bucks but that just sounds like a special kind of dumb to me.

MuskogeeHF had it right....final two minutes of his last game as a Razorback, in our bowl game, up 35 points.  Nose guard.  Then and only then.
Well that would be the absolute worst time to put him in and he gets injured.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgwash on July 14, 2017, 07:42:20 pm
Well that would be the absolute worst time to put him in and he gets injured.

The point of that whole overstatement as to when he would even be given any opportunity to ever play on defense is...he wouldn't.
Go Hogs Go!

John Snow

Did CNN ,ABC, or any NBC outlet (MSNBC) help out Saturday down south to write that story because this screams of "fake news" with a lot generalizations and nothing to back this story up at all.

TNRazorbacker

Hope this is just typical preseason BS. This type of talk usually doesn't say much for the unit you need to risk your superstar to prop up.

FANONTHEHILL

Frank has not taken one snap on defense this summer or worked with the DLine.  There is an OL player that has moved to defense (not my son).  This is Coach Bielema at his best.  It has people talking about Frank, both locally and beyond.  Same reason Tretola threw a TD pass and the OL was in the media guide a couple years ago.  "Come to Arkansas as an OLineman, and we'll make you famous".   Frank on defense, could he "yes", will he "no".
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015