Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Perspective Matters

Started by WilsonHog, July 09, 2017, 09:49:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

July 09, 2017, 09:49:38 am Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:13:36 am by WilsonHog
At least, it has made a difference for me.

I love Razorback football, and I have for 40 years. However, someone much wiser than me once wrote to me, "The Razorbacks will never win enough games to make you happy."

At one time, that was correct; no matter our record, no matter the circumstance, I would scream, cuss, and rant. I would be inconsolable. Then something happened (cue the really appropriate response from most normal people, "You turned 13," because that is some childish behavior).

No, what happened was the Missouri game in 2014. My daughter, who I rarely get to see, was home for Thanksgiving. We watched the first half together, then she disappeared. I found her in another room early in the second half, still watching the game. When I asked her to come watch with me, her response was "I can't watch the game with you." After the game, she and her mom wanted us all to go out for a late movie. I was physically present, but mentally I was still stewing over a damn football game. I screwed up quality time with my family because I didn't have the right perspective.

No more. I had a great time at the NCAA Regional last month, but when our baseball team lost to Missouri State to end the season, I was over it by the time I made it to my truck.

That's not "apathy." That's putting games played and coached by others in proper perspective. The joy comes in the process (which I can control), not in the outcome (which I cannot control). I will do the same this football season. I'm going to follow the Hogs religiously, as I have since I was 14 years old. I'll attend five or six games in RRS and watch any game I miss in person on TV. Still spend the same money, still invest in the program as I always have. In fact, I will enjoy it more than I ever have.

ricepig

As you said, everything in perspective. I remember when my oldest was 10, his baseball team was playing for a berth in the Cal Ripken World Series. We had a a 3 run lead going into the bottom of the last inning, natural we managed to do everything possible to let them win. After the game the kids were crying and upset, and as parents we tried to console them. Anyway, we load up the car and head home for the 8 hour drive, about 10 minutes into the drive he's playing video games and talking about swimming all next week, it's like "what game?"

My Mom is 91, she suffers through every game the Hogs play, the next time I see her after any game, I have to answer all of the questions, "why did they pass, can we tackle,  can't we guard anyone, can we bunt?"

I guess I've conditioned myself to accept the results, no matter what they are. Now, I still have the passion, but no sense in ruining your day, or others around you.

oldhawg

Great post.  I'm not nearly as self-disciplined as you, so I have sought out other strategies.  I also got tired of post-loss stress affecting family time. I was just too hard to live with for a while.

Now I rarely attend a Razorback game in person or watch a live game on television (except baseball which I often stream or follow on "...extra innings...").  Instead i will watch replays, or attend other football games and check on the Razorbacks later.  I love attending Service Academy games (I am retired Army & my son ran track at the USNA) and TCU games (my daughter's alma mater).  Although I will try to attend Razorback bowl games.  In other words, I have effectively split my allegiances.  Also we try to plan some of our extended discretionary travel in the fall, which takes me away from sports, politics, and bills.

Make no mistake, I am still a Razorback fan and always look to see how the Hogs did first, but it just is not so all-consuming anymore.  Life is good, and much more bearable for my wife, and more pleasant for me ---- which at my age is a good thing.

Having said that, at this time of year I am always expecting a ten win season in football, a January bowl game, and a top twenty ranking.

(I just need to do a better job of staying away from HV).  :)   

Vantage 8 dude

July 09, 2017, 11:03:51 am #3 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:24:21 am by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 09, 2017, 09:49:38 am

I love Razorback football, and I have for 40 years. However, someone much wiser than me once wrote to me, "The Razorbacks will never win enough games to make you happy."

At one time, that was correct; no matter our record, no matter the circumstance, I would scream, cuss, and rant. I would be inconsolable. Then something happened (cue the really appropriate response from most normal people, "You turned 13," because that is some childish behavior).

No, what happened was the Missouri game in 2014. My daughter, who I rarely get to see, was home for Thanksgiving. We watched the first half together, then she disappeared. I found her in another room early in the second half, still watching the game. When I asked her to come watch with me, her response was "I can't watch the game with you." After the game, she and her mom wanted us all to go out for a late movie. I was physically present, but mentally I was still stewing over a damn football game. I screwed up quality time with my family because I didn't have the right perspective.

No more. I had a great time at the NCAA Regional last month, but when our baseball team lost to Missouri State to end the season, I was over it by the time I made it to my truck.

That's not "apathy." That's putting games played and coached by others in proper perspective. The joy comes in the process (which I can control), not in the outcome (which I cannot control). I will do the same this football season. I'm going to follow the Hogs religiously, as I have since I was 14 years old. I'll attend five or six games in RRS and watch any game I miss in person on TV. Still spend the same money, still invest in the program as I always have. In fact, I will enjoy it more than I ever have.
Obviously some very sage and insightful advice. Yep, no doubt it kills me when my Hogs don't perform up to the very high standards I set for them. However, when I step back I have to ultimately accept the fact that as a non playing observer there's absolutely NOTHING I can do about impacting the outcome of a game. And as such I have to recognize that "what will be will be"; I have to take a step back, take a deep breath and go on with my life. As a student on the Hill back in some of the "glory days" of the late 60s/early 70s I used to virtually die whenever we lost, at least in football that was a rare thing. It used to ruin my whole weekend and even much of the following week. I was just in a total funk and miserable. However, I eventually realized that as there was nothing I could do to change the outcome and that I was wasting my time in "mourning". I had better learn to go on with living my life. Besides, even as much as I love the Razorbacks, life goes on, bills have to be paid, work needs to be done, and family/friends still need to be loved. So....at the end of the day the sun will still rise in the east and set in the west, babies will still be born and others will die, and all the things that we call life will continue to happen. And win, lose, or draw I will still have the privilege of calling the Hogs and wanting them to win every game even though the won't. And in the end that's enough for me.

TNRazorbacker

Great perspective. Just hard to truly care about something then act like you don't when things don't go well.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 09, 2017, 11:08:56 am
Great perspective. Just hard to truly care about something then act like you don't when things don't go well.
Again, it ultimately comes down to putting things into their proper place. Not saying you're fine with losing; rather, it means whether or not such controls/dominates your life. To do so and allow things beyond one's control is fruitless.

WilsonHog

Quote from: oldhawg on July 09, 2017, 10:38:28 am
Great post.  I'm not nearly as self-disciplined as you, so I have sought out other strategies.  I also got tired of post-loss stress affecting family time. I was just too hard to live with for a while.

Now I rarely attend a Razorback game in person or watch a live game on television (except baseball which I often stream or follow on "...extra innings...").  Instead i will watch replays, or attend other football games and check on the Razorbacks later.  I love attending Service Academy games (I am retired Army & my son ran track at the USNA) and TCU games (my daughter's alma mater).  Although I will try to attend Razorback bowl games.  In other words, I have effectively split my allegiances.  Also we try to plan some of our extended discretionary travel in the fall, which takes me away from sports, politics, and bills.

Make no mistake, I am still a Razorback fan and always look to see how the Hogs did first, but it just is not so all-consuming anymore.  Life is good, and much more bearable for my wife, and more pleasant for me ---- which at my age is a good thing.

Having said that, at this time of year I am always expecting a ten win season in football, a January bowl game, and a top twenty ranking.

You make a good point. I went to South Bend with a few guys a couple of years ago to watch Notre Dame play, and it was one of the best Saturdays I have ever spent. I was invested not in who won as much as I was in seeing someplace new and enjoying the game day experience. Later that fall, I went with a buddy of mine to Oxford for the Ole Miss/LSU game. I had a great afternoon, watching CFB and enjoying the experience without stressing over who won.

I would like to do more of that, maybe one trip every fall. My son-in-law is a huge Texas fan, and I would love to spend a weekend in Austin and see the Horns play in DKR. Neyland Stadium, Baton Rouge, Ohio State/Michigan, Army/Navy, the Iron Bowl...I'd even like to go see Harvard and Yale. Those would all be amazing trips.

Steef

I've never needed to measure my pleasure or devotion to the Hogs, by the win column. I LIKE for us to win and I do hate losing...but mostly I love trying.

If we go out there and punch a team in the nose (it's a metaphor) for four quarters, that's EXACTLY what I want my Hogs to do.

There have been times this century...when I didn't see that.
HDN's last year and half, a couple of games were mailed in by either players or coaches. Tenner comes to mind right off the bat.
Bobby's last year, there were games that were downright embarrassing. Not LSU...that's understandable. But the Vandy game was atrocious. That was more on Bobby than the players.
And last year, of course.

Wilson....after last year...I had to take some deep breaths too.

On the opposite side of that coin...is Brandon Allen's first game against Bama. In the rain in Fayetteville. His first start as a Hog and he was WAY not ready and getting terrible coaching. And facing the national champion Tide.

BA got the crap beat out of him and we lost by a LOT. But by golly....WE PLAYED!! Every down. BA got UP!! Every time he got knocked down.

Casey Dick had a spotty career as an athlete. But a glorious one as a man and a Hog. Through (what I believe to be ) the worst time in Hog history, Casey was the picture of class and maturity.

And on the last play of his career, gave us a top-ten memory in Markham. But he had already won.

I loved Vince Lombardi. But winning is NOT 'the only thing'.

I hope Bret kills it this year and makes me wrong to doubt.

Inhogswetrust

July 09, 2017, 11:51:11 am #8 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:39:31 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 09, 2017, 11:34:51 am
You make a good point. I went to South Bend with a few guys a couple of years ago to watch Notre Dame play, and it was one of the best Saturdays I have ever spent. I was invested not in who won as much as I was in seeing someplace new and enjoying the game day experience. Later that fall, I went with a buddy of mine to Oxford for the Ole Miss/LSU game. I had a great afternoon, watching CFB and enjoying the experience without stressing over who won.

I would like to do more of that, maybe one trip every fall. My son-in-law is a huge Texas fan, and I would love to spend a weekend in Austin and see the Horns play in DKR. Neyland Stadium, Baton Rouge, Ohio State/Michigan, Army/Navy, the Iron Bowl...I'd even like to go see Harvard and Yale. Those would all be amazing trips.

I've been to Austin for two weddings but only one game though.....................The Ambush In Austin.............EPIC to say the least!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sed76

When I was younger I'd be a miserable SOB for days after a loss. To the point that family and friends didn't want me around it was so bad. I'd get so upset when someone would tell me "it's just a game". But as I've got older and matured while I still get upset in the moment by the next day I'm back to real life.

MuskogeeHogFan

July 09, 2017, 12:45:02 pm #10 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:26:23 pm by MuskogeeHogFan

It is a great point that you make and I think that as some of us grow older, we learn to try to enjoy the experience more with family and friends for what it is, than being as wrapped up in whether we win or not, though I always prefer to see us play competitively and win.

I don't have so much angst about us losing if we make a game of it and really compete. It is just when it appears that all we do is roll our helmets out on the field and don't show up and compete at a high level that still eat at me. If you choose to get in the "arena", whether in work, life or sports, choose to compete in every opportunity that you are given because one day, those opportunities will be forever lost and you don't want to have to live with those regrets. Just leave it all on the field of battle, whether it applies to taking care of your family, in work or on the field of play.

I also agree that as a fan of football in general, visiting historic venues and being able to experience games at those locations is a really great bucket list (or should be) for people who just love the game and the history of the game. If our team isn't involved it does allow you to detach emotionally from the eventual outcome and just enjoy the experience. For a true fan of the game, I can't think of anything more satisfying.

I'll never forget getting to attend the 1969 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl between Houston (coached by Bill Yeoman) and Auburn (coached by Shug Jordan) where Auburn was drilled by Houston. Great venue, the Astrodome and great people. Fun trip.

In 1970 on a recruiting trip I was able to visit Owen Field in Norman and watch Oklahoma drill their instate rival Oklahoma State 66-6. Greg Pruitt scored twice, once on a short run and another of about 70 yards. It was fun to watch.

On January 1st of 1971 I was fortunate enough to be sitting in a cold Cotton Bowl in Dallas watching #6 Notre Dame (Ara Parseghian) play #1 Texas (Darrell Royal). ND won beating Texas 24-11. Theismann at QB for ND, Steve Wooster at FB for Texas. Great game and a good memory, especially since Texas was beaten. Again, really treated well, fun time.

All of those were fun games to attend and watch just because I had no dog in the hunt.

Now, I'd like to visit South Bend, I'd like to go to game at Oregon (Autzen?), I'd like to go to the LA Coliseum, I'd like to attend an Ohio State-Michigan game in either stadium. I'd like to watch a game at Lambeau Field and Soldier Field, though I'm not much of an NFL fan anymore. As far as going places where games occur where I don't have a dog in the hunt, that's some that I would like to attend one of these days.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 12:45:02 pm
It is a great point that you make and I think that as some of us grow older, we learn to try to enjoy the experience more with family and friends for what it is, than being as wrapped up in whether we win or not, though I always prefer to see us play competitively and win.

I don't have so much angst about us losing if we make a game of it and really compete. It is just when it appears that all we do is roll our helmets out on the field and don't show up and compete at a high level that still eat at me. If you choose to get in the "arena", whether in work, life or sports, choose to compete in every opportunity that you are given because one day, those opportunities will be forever lost and you don't want to have to live with those regrets. Just leave it all on the field of battle, whether it applies to taking care of your family, in work or on the field of play.

I also agree that as a fan of football in general, visiting historic venues and being able to experience games at those locations is a really great bucket list (or should be) for people who just love the game and the history of the game. If our team isn't involved it does allow you to detach emotionally from the eventual outcome and just enjoy the experience. For a true fan of the game, I can't think of anything more satisfying.

I'll never forget getting to attend the 1969 Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl between Houston (coached by Bill Yeoman) and Auburn (coached by Shug Jordan) where Auburn was drilled by Houston. Great venue, the Astrodome and great people. Fun trip.

In 1970 on a recruiting trip I was able to visit Owen Field in Norman and watch Oklahoma drill their instate rival Oklahoma State 66-6. Greg Pruitt scored twice, once on a short run and another of about 70 yards. It was fun to watch.

On January 1st of 1971 I was fortunate enough to be sitting in a cold Cotton Bowl in Dallas watching #6 Notre Dame (Ara Parseghian) play #1 Texas (Darrell Royal). ND won beating Texas 24-11. Theismann at QB for ND, Steve Wooster at FB for Texas. Great game and a good memory, especially since Texas was beaten. Again, really treated well, fun time.

All of those were fun games to attend and watch just because I had no dog in the hunt.

Now, I'd like to visit South Bend, I'd like to go to game at Oregon (Autzen?), I'd like to go to the LA Coliseum, I'd like to attend an Ohio State-Michigan game in either stadium. I'd like to watch a game at Lambeau Field and Soldier Field, though I'm not much of an NFL fan anymore. As far as going places where games occur where I don't have a dog in the hunt, that's some that I would like to attend one of these days.

My want to attend game is Army versus Navy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 09, 2017, 02:40:58 pm

You know, I forgot that one but that would be another great one to attend, The main attraction for me would be the "Cadet March On".

https://youtu.be/JoQ8TVS6uNw
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 09, 2017, 02:40:58 pm

I took my Dad a few years ago to a game, he was a Naval Academy graduate at the start of WW II, but had never been back to a game since then. It was a great time and a trip I'll never forget with him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2017, 03:40:56 pm
I took my Dad a few years ago to a game, he was a Naval Academy graduate at the start of WW II, but had never been back to a game since then. It was a great time and a trip I'll never forget with him.

Hats off and a hand salute to your Dad! Great achievement and a great commitment to our country! I know you are proud and what a wonderful thing for you to have done for him.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 03:48:45 pm
Hats off and a hand salute to your Dad! Great achievement and a great commitment to our country! I know you are proud and what a wonderful thing for you to have done for him.

Ditto

Athog

Maybe the most intelligent post I have ever read on Hogville.

a0ashle

I'm on board with this. I would also add, that the moment you learn handle disappointment, is the moment you can enjoy all the hype before the games. No more subscribing to the "expect the worse and be surprised" attitude that only makes us miserable when we should be pumped up with hope.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2017, 03:40:56 pm

Congrats to your Dad on his service. My dad was in the Navy during WWII. He was on the battleship Iowa. He was briefly in Japan after the surrender and was shocked by what he saw. Ironically our daughter in law is from Japan.

hawgon

I have much the same thought process but my means of dealing with it is different.  I just quit paying attention when they suck.  I go hunting.  I play golf.  I do something else.  Football is entertainment.  Losing at anything isn't fun.  I won't reward those satisfied with losing my money, time, or attention.  I'm not miserable.  I feel fine.  I don't waste my time with it and I don't have to lie to myself that I enjoy it even when they are not committed to winning.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on July 09, 2017, 06:28:48 pm
I have much the same thought process but my means of dealing with it is different.  I just quit paying attention when they suck.  I go hunting.  I play golf.  I do something else.  Football is entertainment.  Losing at anything isn't fun.  I won't reward those satisfied with losing my money, time, or attention.  I'm not miserable.  I feel fine.  I don't waste my time with it and I don't have to lie to myself that I enjoy it even when they are not committed to winning.

You sir are a fair weather fan and that is sad, though folks like you actually exist. You don't have to be miserable, you can still be a fan and hope for the best for the Hogs, but that doesn't sound like who you are inclined to be. They are either great and you are a fan, or they underachieve and you check out because you don't have the maturity to deal with it. At least, that is how it sounds.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 06:58:16 pm
You sir are a fair weather fan and that is sad, though folks like you actually exist.

Yeah, got to love to bandwagon fans.......

WilsonHog

Quote from: hawgon on July 09, 2017, 06:28:48 pm

I get that, and I respect that position. Everyone deals differently, as they should. More than half of my years as a Razorback fan have occurred when we have been in the SEC. Over that time, I have developed the belief that we are maybe about one to two wins a year away from our ceiling in the SEC.

Also, and perhaps because of the allegiance that developed when I first became a Hog fan, I still miss the SWC. Probably always will, in a nostalgic sort of way, in the same way I miss guys like Ron Calcagni, Ben Cowins, Larry Jackson, Jimmy Walker, and Dan Hampton.

Steef

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 09, 2017, 07:06:03 pm
I get that, and I respect that position. Everyone deals differently, as they should. More than half of my years as a Razorback fan have occurred when we have been in the SEC. Over that time, I have developed the belief that we are maybe about one to two wins a year away from our ceiling in the SEC.

Also, and perhaps because of the allegiance that developed when I first became a Hog fan, I still miss the SWC. Probably always will, in a nostalgic sort of way.

Me too.

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 06:58:16 pm
You sir are a fair weather fan and that is sad, though folks like you actually exist. You don't have to be miserable, you can still be a fan and hope for the best for the Hogs, but that doesn't sound like who you are inclined to be. They are either great and you are a fan, or they underachieve and you check out because you don't have the maturity to deal with it. At least, that is how it sounds.

Nope, when I'm satisfied that the commitment is there, I'm there rain or shine, win, lose, or draw.  When I'm satisfied that it isn't, there is no need to be interested or to reward it.  Is there any other area in your life where you consider it a virtue to reward lack of commitment?

hobhog

Quote from: oldhawg on July 09, 2017, 10:38:28 am

Whiffed on his point. OP readjusts his passionate perspective to enjoy the process and Hog football while trying not to ruin his and every one else's day. You just basically became casual non observer. Not the same.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 09, 2017, 07:06:03 pm

Also, and perhaps because of the allegiance that developed when I first became a Hog fan, I still miss the SWC. Probably always will, in a nostalgic sort of way, in the same way I miss guys like Ron Calcagni, Ben Cowins, Larry Jackson, Jimmy Walker, and Dan Hampton.

I don't get that. You can still be a fan, you can still pull for the team even if they disappoint. Hasn't it happened often enough? If we all required the Hogs to over-achieve all of the time to be fans, would any of us be true fans?

I'm not not checking out on the Hogs just because they don't win as many as I think they should win. Oh sure, I might be frustrated and want more for them, but they are still my team, so no, I don't understand.

And yeah, I miss the old SWC days, but what is past is prologue.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

I don't guess I've ever been "over the top" in my actions.  I don't curse or drink and those two things don't mix well with losing.   Many a times I have watched a game and went out to dinner and a movie with my wife and/or kids.  However I have found that as I get older it mellows me out even more.  I not going to pretend it's cause I've all of a sudden found some new brand of football religion or something.  I can control my actions just fine. 

However I also see the need for downright fanatic fans, it's a part of the game that make game day fun and exciting.  It's what make the walk to the stadium an event to remember.  All those fans in red sharing a deep seated belief in a team.  Just think what the atmosphere would be like without it, kinda like a death march.

I'm sorry but you can't have it one way, either the excitement is high enough for you to be disappointed or your dead.  I'm a firm believer that it takes all kinds to make the world go around.  Personally I hate to see the uncaring nature more than I do the radical.  For me the more you care and the more you show it the better the fan.  I draw the line at bashing players or coaches on a very personal level.  This is the very reason I'm such a big fan of amateur college athletics vs Pro anything.   

Yes I'm sure the one posting in this thread can enjoy the game just fine, I'm just glad they aren't the only fan examples.

forrest city joe

What the hell! are you people kidding me? watching Razorbacks lose games makes me sick!the idea i just want to enjoy the game win or lose is sickening. it's called accepting losing.o will never as a fan accept losing.Alabama,LSU,FL and Auburn and many others will never accept losing.if this is where this fanbase is today. the program is doomed. it will never win a championship again.don't do it Hog fans.don't ever accept losing. i will not and can not enjoy a game when Arkansas is losing and getting destroyed. makes me want to throw up.but that's me. i will never change on this.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 09, 2017, 07:39:14 pm
What the hell! are you people kidding me? watching Razorbacks lose games makes me sick!the idea i just want to enjoy the game win or lose is sickening. it's called accepting losing.o will never as a fan accept losing.Alabama,LSU,FL and Auburn and many others will never accept losing.if this is where this fanbase is today. the program is doomed. it will never win a championship again.don't do it Hog fans.don't ever accept losing. i will not and can not enjoy a game when Arkansas is losing and getting destroyed. makes me want to throw up.but that's me. i will never change on this.

And there is the other side of rational thought process.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

I with you Joe, although my personality doesn't lend itself to outlandish behavior I still
Like seeing the passion displayed.  Some are over the top and probably need professional help, 😎, but man you know we used to make fun of the blue hairs, nowadays according to the new mentality we should be them... even if we don't have any hair.

Maybe some don't want to be like you.

hawgon

That's why I withdraw, losing is no fun. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: Karma on July 09, 2017, 07:47:37 pm
Maybe some don't want to be like you.
To each it's own. i said that i will never accept losing. and i hope most of the Hog fan base won't either. your right to accept what you want. and my right to say i will never accept it.this is bad!

forrest city joe

When this season starts,i expect the Hogs to win. goal is to win the west and play for an SEC championship.(may not happen)but that should be the goal every year at Arkansas.i so hope most Hog fans agree with me on this.because if they agree with this thread.it's over folks as far as Arkansas ever winning anything in football again.

PorkSoda

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 09, 2017, 07:59:10 pm
When this season starts,i expect the Hogs to win. goal is to win the west and play for an SEC championship.(may not happen)but that should be the goal every year at Arkansas.i so hope most Hog fans agree with me on this.because if they agree with this thread.it's over folks as far as Arkansas ever winning anything in football again.
lol, when was the last time the fans won or lost a game?

There is a difference between the perspectives and expectation of the team, and that of the fans.

I prefer to enjoy life rather than waste time and energy pouting about things I don't have any control over. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogwild

What really sucks is when you put Hog football in the proper perspective, do things with the family and miss out on the 2 biggest wins of the decade. 

I haven't miss watching many football games over the past quarter century.  But in 2010 I missed the LSU game that sent us to the Sugar Bowl, was on a cruise, was told that they would have the game on but the boat didn't get CBS.  Then in 2014 playing #8 Ole Miss, I was boarding a plane (14 hour trip) we had a slight lead but Ole Miss had the ball inside our 20 as I got on the plane.  We I got off I had a text from my father that we had a 90 yard pick 6 and were leading 30-0 late in 4th.

I literally agreed to the 2014 vacation on the way home after being in the stadium for the game below.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 09, 2017, 08:11:26 pm
lol, when was the last time the fans won or lost a game?

There is a difference between the perspectives and expectation of the team, and that of the fans.

I prefer to enjoy life rather than waste time and energy pouting about things I don't have any control over.

Don't think he said that at all but twist it to suit you perspective.  Expectations are for fans, execution is for the team, and it all comes with perspective.  Lots of different perspectives!

forrest city joe

Don't ever give up Hog fans. keep putting high expectations on the program. never be reduced to the i just want to enjoy the game stuff no matter if the Hogs win or not.NO-------------------------------------!

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 09, 2017, 08:28:32 pm
Don't ever give up Hog fans. keep putting high expectations on the program. never be reduced to the i just want to enjoy the game stuff no matter if the Hogs win or not.NO-------------------------------------!
How is your life improved by being miserable 5 weeks a year?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Karma on July 09, 2017, 08:51:25 pm
How is your life improved by being miserable 5 weeks a year?
Not a matter of my life being improved. it's a matter of being a fan of the team i love.i did not care,i would not even watch or keep up with it.been a fan for over 50 years. and you Damn right i care. it makes me sick when the lose. i admit it.i am that into it. and if you are not,so be it. that is your right.i just hope most Hog fans never become like that. because if they do,it's over for Arkansas football.

Tusks

Yes we all have perspective and my perspective was very happy in 2010 and 2011.  I loved watching Fox Sunday when the NFL guys talked about the BCS standings with the Hogs right in the middle of the mix.  Two former Hogs that are super bowl winning coaches on a national show talking about their alma mater was pretty damn cool.  At least the hogs were in the discussion and part of the mix even though they didn't get to the promise land.

My perspective today is I wish the hogs were in the mix.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

forrest city joe

Quote from: tusked on July 09, 2017, 09:07:20 pm
Yes we all have perspective and my perspective was very happy in 2010 and 2011.  I loved watching Fox Sunday when the NFL guys talked about the BCS standings with the Hogs right in the middle of the mix.  Two former Hogs that are super bowl winning coaches on a national show talking about their alma mater was pretty damn cool.  At least the hogs were in the discussion and part of the mix even though they didn't get to the promise land.

My perspective today is I wish the hogs were in the mix.
+1000.i miss those days.we did not win the sec. but we had a top 12 program for 2 years running. finished in the top 15 in 2010.and the top 5 in 2011. it was fun to be a razorback fan.fun to see them winning almost every week.it can happen again. but not if we give up on winning.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 09, 2017, 08:17:50 pm
Don't think he said that at all but twist it to suit you perspective.  Expectations are for fans, execution is for the team, and it all comes with perspective.  Lots of different perspectives!
Quote from: forrest city joe on July 09, 2017, 07:59:10 pm
When this season starts,i expect the Hogs to win. goal is to win the west and play for an SEC championship.(may not happen)but that should be the goal every year at Arkansas
I agree with this

.i so hope most Hog fans agree with me on this.because if they agree with this thread.it's over folks as far as Arkansas ever winning anything in football again.
looks like he is saying that if the fans don't expect to win, then the team wont win.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Cinco de Hogo

It occurs to me that the same ones who question your fanhood if your not 100% positive about the team are the same ones who "gracefully" accept losing.  I'm not a psychologist but I'm wondering what that is.  I'm sure there is a professional answer. 

Actually it's probably explained by personality type.  It's a shame people can't accept that people are wired different by God.  Now if it's something that interferes with your character that might be a problem.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 09, 2017, 09:14:53 pm
looks like he is saying that if the fans don't expect to win, then the team wont win.

Well I at least understand the difference, like I said you can twist his meaning if it suits you.  Evidently his opinion is that without strong fan support AND high expectations it's possible for a team to follow suit. 

I know a lot of teams that win on a high level, they all have fans that expect to win and they all would fire a coach for not meeting those high expectations.

I also know of a lot of teams that don't,  they don't expect to win on a high level, they still fire coaches for not winning.

Maybe that's wrong maybe it's not but it's part of sports.

TexArkHogFan

I started following the Hogs when I was in high school, graduated in 1952.  I spent the next 22  years in the Navy.  Since this was before the internet and computers it was hit and miss depending on where the Navy sent me as to whether I could or could not follow the games.  When I was deployed on ship we didn't get any news about current events until well after it happened, mostly thru Stars and Stripes, a military newspaper.  I spent three years in Atsugi, Japan and two years in Bangkok, Thailand.  We got the news but it was a day old by the time we got it, you just don't get all that caught  up in the hype when you can't find out the score until a day after the game.  I was in Japan when Kennedy got shot, we heard about it thru military channels but didn't read about it until the next day.  Now that I am retired and don't have much to do, I probably spend too much time following sports but I don't get upset as much as I used to when they lose.  Mostly that is what age does to you, nothing seems to bother me as much as it used to because you finally realize the only thing that's worth spending time on is which direction you're going when the road comes to an end.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on July 09, 2017, 09:30:42 pm
I started following the Hogs when I was in high school, graduated in 1952.  I spent the next 22  years in the Navy.  Since this was before the internet and computers it was hit and miss depending on where the Navy sent me as to whether I could or could not follow the games.  When I was deployed on ship we didn't get any news about current events until well after it happened, mostly thru Stars and Stripes, a military newspaper.  I spent three years in Atsugi, Japan and two years in Bangkok, Thailand.  We got the news but it was a day old by the time we got it, you just don't get all that caught  up in the hype when you can't find out the score until a day after the game.  I was in Japan when Kennedy got shot, we heard about it thru military channels but didn't read about it until the next day.  Now that I am retired and don't have much to do, I probably spend too much time following sports but I don't get upset as much as I used to when they lose.  Mostly that is what age does to you, nothing seems to bother me as much as it used to because you finally realize the only thing that's worth spending time on is which direction you're going when the road comes to an end.

+1

Think you for your service Sir.

Oh and where's the bathroom!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 09, 2017, 09:29:43 pm
Well I at least understand the difference, like I said you can twist his meaning if it suits you.  Evidently his opinion is that without strong fan support AND high expectations it's possible for a team to follow suit. 

I know a lot of teams that win on a high level, they all have fans that expect to win and they all would fire a coach for not meeting those high expectations.

I also know of a lot of teams that don't,  they don't expect to win on a high level, they still fire coaches for not winning.

Maybe that's wrong maybe it's not but it's part of sports.
maybe I just mis understood his intent.   Obviously fan support does play a role in the success of the program in general.  and I do agree with him about what the program goals should be.

Hogs49ers

SCREW Vandy!