Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It amazes the amount of energy we put into a impossible situation.

Started by luke hawg, July 02, 2017, 11:44:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on July 08, 2017, 03:00:54 pm
If they were ranked when we beat em, then we beat a ranked team.

Preseason and early season rankings are nothing more than popularity contests, opinions.  If beating a team some people thought would be good but really wasn't makes you feel better, good for you.

The next time the weatherman predicts snow but we end up not getting a flake I'm going to point out how well my vehicle handled on icy roads.

GrouchyOldGuy

Let's get KU & KSU IN THAT LIST OF TEN SO WE CAN HAVE A PLAYOFF

luke hawg

The offense is not the problem at all. We were the most efficient offense in the entire country in 2015. This is an objective statement just look it up. We replaced four offensive linemen, lead runner, Mackey award winner, and drafted QB. A slight setback on offense was expected. Defensively has required major changes. I think Bielema's idea on offense entering the SEC has worked. His philosophy on defense has been minus on year of subpar QB play in the division has been a failure. I'm hoping this moves him in a direction of speed over size with more aggression and less BBDB.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 08, 2017, 05:46:52 pm
So you don't care if apathy happens?  Your answer is "well stop being a fan then"?  When I was young and full of piss and vinager I agonized over ever lose.  Growing old mellows you but to think that the ones taking my place shouldn't care that much is taking a chance that eventually even the young really won't care.
Not saying that at all. However, being a fan doesn't mean you have to "throw in the towel" just because your team isn't living or playing up to your expectations. Being a fan doesn't mean giving up just because you aren't beating the 'Bamas of the world on a regular basis (or even semi-regular) basis. Yes, you want the Hogs to win every time out; however, you can't give in to the gloom and doom that some express. If you do then you cease to hope and push to be better.

I realize that in many respects CBB has not produced the type of winning consistency that we would have hoped. And while one can argue/debate over why we haven't, I still believe (hope) that he is the right person for the job. Obviously only time will tell. One thing I WON'T do is give up on the ultimate success of the Hogs; the other thing I won't do is to give into the gloom and doom of the original poster.

Tusks

I agree, drop ticket prices, go to an easier conference and throw a party every saturday.  Have players that want to be choir boys and play just for the love of the university and for the love of having the hog on their helmet.

Out ole miss at being ole miss.  Never lose a party.  Sell beer at the games and that alone will make up for the lost revenue of playing in a big time conference.

The UA likes the money and playing big fish without having to produce at a big fish level.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 09, 2017, 11:13:17 am
Not saying that at all. However, being a fan doesn't mean you have to "throw in the towel" just because your team isn't living or playing up to your expectations. Being a fan doesn't mean giving up just because you aren't beating the 'Bamas of the world on a regular basis (or even semi-regular) basis. Yes, you want the Hogs to win every time out; however, you can't give in to the gloom and doom that some express. If you do then you cease to hope and push to be better.

I realize that in many respects CBB has not produced the type of winning consistency that we would have hoped. And while one can argue/debate over why we haven't, I still believe (hope) that he is the right person for the job. Obviously only time will tell. One thing I WON'T do is give up on the ultimate success of the Hogs; the other thing I won't do is to give into the gloom and doom of the original poster.

That's fine if it works for you I just don't believe it will play out that well over time.   If a program like Arkansas wants to stay in the second tier you better win something.  That is what we did in the past(long gone past)to be in the second tier.  How long can we protect the charade of expecting to win if we don't win?  How long before our fans become no different that Houston fans, or Memphis?  Heck we are behind even Louisville in all three major sports as far as winning goes.  We ARE a rent a win team for the SEC elite!  Is that because we can't compete or is it because we settle for...like you do.  I've said this before but if you took the 60, 70 and 80's, only Alabama averaged a higher ranking than us.  Thirty years and it was given away on a golf course in Augusta. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Surfing8 on July 09, 2017, 03:26:06 pm
In what respect has CBB produced a form of winning consistency, to make pointing out the many where he has not worthwhile?

I have yet to see some compelling point made as to why he's 'the right person for the job' as you mention.  It would honestly be nice to see some semblance of progress to point to and say 'we're getting there'. 

If it's because we haven't had a kicker or punter get caught with a roomful of hookers and blow during his tenure... well I guess I don't give him as many points for that as some might. 

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 09, 2017, 11:13:17 am

You know, that's the problem with deleting part of a post that you quote. Often times others don't get the full meaning and you can capitalize on your post and your particular agenda.
Go Hogs Go!

majestic

Bama fans agononize over a loss because they expect to win. We are elated when we beat a top 20 team because we expect to lose. It's just what you get used to. Almost every big game that would have elevated us to a BCS type game over the last 30 years we've lost. Stoernover, Fish fumble, LSU in 2011, the dropped interception against Miami, etc.......

I'll always be a Hog fan, but I don't expect us to ever win a national title, or even an SEC championship, in football. I enjoyed the Petrino years because the offense was fun to watch and we won a lot of games. But we still lost the big ones.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: majestic on July 09, 2017, 03:44:31 pm
Bama fans agononize over a loss because they expect to win. We are elated when we beat a top 20 team because we expect to lose. It's just what you get used to. Almost every big game that would have elevated us to a BCS type game over the last 30 years we've lost. Stoernover, Fish fumble, LSU in 2011, the dropped interception against Miami, etc.......

I'll always be a Hog fan, but I don't expect us to ever win a national title, or even an SEC championship, in football. I enjoyed the Petrino years because the offense was fun to watch and we won a lot of games. But we still lost the big ones.

Alabama 2010 also.  Arkansas is the team of maybe next year and what ifs.  Sad but it has been Arkansas for as long as we have been in the SEC. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

rhames

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2017, 03:46:56 pm
Alabama 2010 also.  Arkansas is the team of maybe next year and what ifs.  Sad but it has been Arkansas for as long as we have been in the SEC. 

Actually getting screwed at Auburn in 2010 hurt just worse than losing to bama that year

Arkansas would have been in a BCS bowl again in 2011 if it wasn't for that stupid 2 team from a conference rule.

If we aren't ever going to win championships, I'd at least like to enjoy 10 or 11 win seasons every now and then. The more we get closer to the season the more I'm buying that Bret can pull it off this year.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Cinco de Hogo

But that excitement, wins and top 20 finishes will keep our program in the second tier, what we have seen post Petrino not so much, don't you think?

MuskogeeHogFan

We beat ranked teams and we have with few exceptions, always found a way to do so. Our problem is that we just haven't been able to find a way to become sustainable in that regard season in and season out. Consistency is what we need for this to become sustainable. We just have to learn to line up and bring it every week and embrace the "next man up" philosophy when it comes to injuries.
Go Hogs Go!

majestic

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2017, 03:46:56 pm
Hope springs eternal.... the screwing we took against the Tebow FL team was unbelievable, but expected. I remember the electricity we had against USC in Fayetteville. It lasted about 5 minutes, haha.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

rhames

Quote from: majestic on July 09, 2017, 04:07:50 pm
Hope springs eternal.... the screwing we took against the Tebow FL team was unbelievable, but expected. I remember the electricity we had against USC in Fayetteville. It lasted about 5 minutes, haha.

That hit on the opening kick off at the USC game. My freshman year. Never forget that place when that happened.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: majestic on July 09, 2017, 04:07:50 pm

That was two different moments in time. The Florida game, we should have won. Yes, we got screwed from an officiating standpoint. They did everything they possibly could to give it to Florida, The USC games, well, the staff just didn't have us prepared and on top of it all, we were out-talented, but no excuse to lose that badly.

All that said, I'm glad that the current team doesn't look back at these games from years ago that have nothing to do with them and the coming season and adopt the loser mentality of the fan base that has been derived from those negative moments in Razorback history.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 04:16:24 pm
That was two different moments in time. The Florida game, we should have won. Yes, we got screwed from an officiating standpoint. They did everything they possibly could to give it to Florida, The USC games, well, the staff just didn't have us prepared and on top of it all, we were out-talented, but no excuse to lose that badly.

All that said, I'm glad that the current team doesn't look back at these games from years ago that have nothing to do with them and the coming season and adopt the loser mentality of the fan base that has been derived from those negative moments in Razorback history.

So now step back and analyze that last paragraph.  There are a lot of analogies and metaphors etc etc... you can run with.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 09, 2017, 04:31:22 pm
So now step back and analyze that last paragraph.  There are a lot of analogies and metaphors etc etc... you can run with.

Please, take it literally. That is how it was meant.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 04:37:12 pm
Please, take it literally. That is how it was meant.

i was taking it as your literally meant what you said.  However what you said is still a root to a problem.  You can't escape what a fan feels regardless of what a player thinks. Actually the two have little to do with one another unless the players attitudes produces positive results.  Like it or not fans support is derived from success on the field not the other way around.  I don't know if you can find an exception to that or not, but it pleases some to blame fans. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 09, 2017, 04:50:15 pm
i was taking it as your literally meant what you said.  However what you said is still a root to a problem.  You can't escape what a fan feels regardless of what a player thinks. Actually the two have little to do with one another unless the players attitudes produces positive results.  Like it or not fans support is derived from success on the field not the other way around.  I don't know if you can find an exception to that or not, but it pleases some to blame fans. 

As fans, we have a tendency to carry decades of failures and try to project them as an indication of future results. I get the thing about learned behavior and the development of an attitude that we will never succeed. Fortunately for the team, this is something that is more prone to grow in a fan base than the attitude of the team, thank God.

But you know, teams need to know that their fan base still believes in them and their ability to overcome past results. As a team, there isn't anything worse than knowing that the fan base doesn't have confidence in them or doesn't support them and expects them to fail. Believe it or not, teams generate motivation from the support of the fan base. They become linked, the fans supporting them and pulling for them, the team feeling an obligation to the fan base to play at a high level and never give up.

Don't think for a moment that there aren't players or parents of players who read Hogville and pass on that which they read here. Hogville is THE Arkansas fan site and more people read it than you may think.

I don't like negative talk. I don't like someone blowing smoke in a more positive and unrealistic way either. But every season is a season of new possibilities. The ball hasn't bounced this way or that way yet, games haven't been played, blocks haven't been executed, adjustments haven't been made, kicks haven't been covered, etc.

I just think that we should start out every season as positive and supportive as possible. Sure, we look at returning talent in various positions, returning starters, returning production, the future schedule and discuss and project based on all of that, but we need to also realize that things can turn on a dime and those things are often not predictable.

Yeah, we want to discuss and we want to have good, solid discussions about Razorback football, but being negative from the outset isn't anymore realistic than those who think we are likely to win the NCG this coming season, though I would love it if we could.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2017, 05:17:36 pm
As fans, we have a tendency to carry decades of failures and try to project them as an indication of future results. I get the thing about learned behavior and the development of an attitude that we will never succeed. Fortunately for the team, this is something that is more prone to grow in a fan base than the attitude of the team, thank God.

But you know, teams need to know that their fan base still believes in them and their ability to overcome past results. As a team, there isn't anything worse than knowing that the fan base doesn't have confidence in them or doesn't support them and expects them to fail. Believe it or not, teams generate motivation from the support of the fan base. They become linked, the fans supporting them and pulling for them, the team feeling an obligation to the fan base to play at a high level and never give up.

Don't think for a moment that there aren't players or parents of players who read Hogville and pass on that which they read here. Hogville is THE Arkansas fan site and more people read it than you may think.

I don't like negative talk. I don't like someone blowing smoke in a more positive and unrealistic way either. But every season is a season of new possibilities. The ball hasn't bounced this way or that way yet, games haven't been played, blocks haven't been executed, adjustments haven't been made, kicks haven't been covered, etc.

I just think that we should start out every season as positive and supportive as possible. Sure, we look at returning talent in various positions, returning starters, returning production, the future schedule and discuss and project based on all of that, but we need to also realize that things can turn on a dime and those things are often not predictable.

Yeah, we want to discuss and we want to have good, solid discussions about Razorback football, but being negative from the outset isn't anymore realistic than those who think we are likely to win the NCG this coming season, though I would love it if we could.

I don't question the strength of the Arkansas fan base related to success on the field, it has alway been over the top compared to just about any program.  I question the judgement of those who think it will never matter and get complacent.  I bet you it would be next to impossible to find a fan that doesn't want a great season.  Finding ones that really believe it's going to be a great season is the hard part and that comes with experience and yes, historical reference. 

You can't make it disappear by condemning fans constantly.  If it's there it's a potential problem best nipped in the bud if possible.  Only thing I want is for SOMEONE to show some awareness.  You could say CBB did that with his recent statement.   I haven't see anything like that from Long or any member of the PTB which is to be expected because they work behind closed doors. 

But yes you are right, we hope none of that has an impact on how the program does this season.  The stands will be full of pretty close to full depending on the game.  Full of hopeful and expectant fans most of whom will leave happy with a win and disappointed with a loss.

The players know that as well as anybody.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: luke hawg on July 02, 2017, 11:44:58 am
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/how_much_do_sec_football_coach.html

The probability of the Razorbacks winning anything more than the Cotton or Capital 1 bowl is extremely slim given the rules and landscape of college football. There are some that will complain and suggest I've been brainwashed by Long, Broyles, Nutt, Bielema, national sports media, or anyone else outside the hogville echo chamber. But the reality is some schools get to spend a lot more on facilities, coaches, and recruiting than we do. Those schools also happen to be in higher population areas with more local talent. Talent that can be monopolized to the fullest. We are essentially going to the playground and letting the best player pick his entire team then trying to beat him with the leftovers. If one of our chosen leftovers does a 360 in warm ups, the best team retains the right to pick him up before the game actually starts. We can then replace the cornerstone of our team with someone playing on another court full of less talented players. If a coach can't out perform schools in a better situation consistenetly with yearly upward trajectory, he should be fired.

I get it Bobby Petrino won 10 and 11 games in back to back seasons for the Cotton bowl. Houston Nutt won 10 and 9 with 3 conferences championship appearances. Danny Ford took us to the championship game as well. The differences between those almost great seasons isn't coaching. It's Jarius wright diving on a fumble against A&M, Stoerner breaking his fall with the ball, Horton diving on the ball instead of scooping and scoring, miracle on markham, Jerry Franklin returning a unforced Zac Stacy fumble 95 yards, and Reggie Fish willie mays ing a punt on the 2 yard line.

The only way for us to achieve more than the average is build a solid program with minimal attrition of players not good enough to contribute and wait for a local talent to choose the hogs that plays QB with 1st round talent. The continuing carousel of coaches because one wins 10 with a cotton bowl win and the other wins 9 with a capital one loss is dumb. We aren't playing the same game as Alabama, LSU, Auburn, or Florida.

Take Auburn out
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU