Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mallett Waits For Another Chance to Start

Started by Mike Irwin, July 01, 2017, 10:24:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

July 01, 2017, 10:24:33 pm Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:51:49 am by Scott Marshall
The former Hog talks about his situation at Baltimore. Mallett was asked what he was doing this summer to make sure he would be ready if, for some reason, a chance to take over the reigns at Baltimore presented itself. "Just tighten up a little footwork. Small things that you do every off-season," Mallett answered

Read Story here: http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/mallett-waits-for-another-chance-to-start/755836881

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

goodguytex

Best of luck to him. I hope he gets his chance to start.

bphi11ips

July 02, 2017, 02:26:43 pm #3 Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:47:51 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: zeke_in_kc on July 02, 2017, 12:10:34 pm
Balanced article. I like it.

But I don't believe Mallett will ever be in the category of "this is our guy" for an NFL team. Beyond whatever may have been wrong on the front end, age is becoming a factor.

Jim Plunkett is the only guy I can think of who crashed and burned for years (very little success) then blossomed into a championship QB in the right setting.

Then there's Earl Morrall.  Not perfectly analogous because Morrall had some good seasons early in his career with the Lions and one good season with the Giants.  But no one could have seen what he would do at age 34 with the Colts (Baltimore) when he took over for an injured Johnny Unitas in the first game of the regular season.  Morrall led the Colts to a 15-1 record and a berth in the Super Bowl, where the Jets and Joe Namath shocked the world with an upset.

Mallett had the misfortune of being picked up in the draft by the best in the business at knowing a QB bargain when he sees it.  Tom Brady will be 40 in a month and just won a Super Bowl with an epic performance.  There was no way Mallett was going to replace him, nor is New England's dink and dunk precision passing game well suited to Mallett'arm strength. 

It looked like things might open up when Mallett was traded to Houston in 2014.  Bill O'Brien's offense was seen as being better built for Mallett's big arm.  Mallett took over as the starter for Ryan Fitzpatrick in early November and completed 20 of 30 passes in a win over the Browns.  Two weeks later a torn pectoral muscle ended his season.  The next year he missed a team flight and the Texans canned him. 

Baltimore seems a better fit for Mallett than New England or Houston.  Joe Flacco is about the same size as Mallett and three years older.  John Harbaugh is a completely different personality than Bill O'Brien and not likely to go anywhere soon.  Who knows, Mallett is one play away from stepping in.  If he must, maybe history will repeat itself in Baltimore.

bphi11ips

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on July 02, 2017, 02:34:38 pm
Solid stuff but it's worth pointing out Mallett had been beaten out long before blowing off a flight in Houston.

Mallett, at best, is a poor man's Flacco so Baltimore is a decent fit.

Nice on Morrall. Top three backup, ever? I've got Don Strock and George Blanda in there (maybe Charlie Batch?) but Morrall was excellent. Here's the rub: they thrived on pressure.

I'm of the opinion RM doesn't, consistently crumbling. It's a pattern it'd be nice for him to break.

Yep, Mallett missed the flight after Brian Hoyer was named the starter.  He was seen as pouting and probably was.  It didn't surprise me when the Texans fired him.  Not good for Mallett.  Didn't surprise me when Harbaugh picked him up, either.  Mallett has a lot of upside in the right offense.  He does appear to have to get his head right.  If that article is any indication, maybe he has.

As for crumbling, I'm not sure Mallett has played enough in the NFL to really form an opinion on that yet.  Nor has he played enough to know whether he's a "poor man's Flacco".  O'Brien doesn't seem to have the patience to settle on a QB.  For example, he flip flopped between Mallett and Hoyer the first few games of the 2015 regular season before Mallett missed the flight. Then Hoyer was released during the 2016 offseason.  I was at the Titans victory over the Texans in Nashville on New Year's Day this year.  Tom Savage started for some reason and looked terrible.  Brett Osweiler took over early in the second quarter with the Texans down 7-0 when Savage was injured.  Osweiler played well in a 24-17 loss.  Had he started my guess is the Texans would have won.  If O'Brien would let a QB play long enough to develop some timing and rythm, the Texans might be scary.  They definitely have the defense to be a Super Bowl contender.  My point is that Mallett was part of the ongoing QB shuffle under O'Brien at Houston.  It's hard to tell whether his replacement by Hoyer was due more to his play or O'Brien's impatience.

If Mallett ever gets a chance in the right system to get his wings underneath him, he may be much better than you think he is.  If not, there's an old saying that the best position in the NFL is backup QB. 

Cinco de Hogo

And then there was that St Louis qb a few years ago!

jgphillips3

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 02, 2017, 10:33:00 pm
And then there was that St Louis qb a few years ago!

Kurt Warner...good example.  From the arena leagues to the Super Bowl.