Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hootens Arkansas Football 2017

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, June 28, 2017, 07:25:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Just letting you guys know that the 2017 edition of the Hootens Football magazine is out
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Inhogswetrust

Magazine................Don't you have to be over 60 to read those anymore? Same with newspapers.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

1highhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 28, 2017, 11:10:58 am
Magazine................Don't you have to be over 60 to read those anymore? Same with newspapers.

lol, what does that mean?  I know that newspapers are a dying breed because of the Interweb, but there's no way I can go cold turkey and just read everything on the computer.  There's just something about setting back and reading a good book that I've always found enjoyable, the computer, not so much.

HF#1

Don't waste your money. It's a ripoff.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RagingHawgOn

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on June 28, 2017, 12:39:59 pm

Grab it and a drink and read it at Barnes and Noble and then put it back on the shelf.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HF#1 on June 28, 2017, 12:39:59 pm
Well, when they include a picture of your brother tackling Leornard Fournette above the synopsis of the defense, its definitely worth the $16.99  ;)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Cinco de Hogo

I stopped reading them way before I turned 60, just not the junkie I once was.

Sivad

Eddie Goodson

I'm more of a Quilted Northern guy, but thanks for the notice.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

MuskogeeHogFan

Well forgive me, but I still like to engage in what is considered to be the outdated method of learning through actually reading a publication that I can actually hold in my hands. Foreign Affairs magazine is an excellent example. So is Phil Steele's magazine.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

You do bring up a good question.  Why doesn't Hooten offered a digital copy of their book?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Justifiable Hogicide

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: 1highhog on June 28, 2017, 11:29:13 am
lol, what does that mean?  I know that newspapers are a dying breed because of the Interweb, but there's no way I can go cold turkey and just read everything on the computer.  There's just something about setting back and reading a good book that I've always found enjoyable, the computer, not so much.

Except you are NOT "setting" back you are SITTING back! 

Oklahawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 28, 2017, 06:17:10 pm
Well forgive me, but I still like to engage in what is considered to be the outdated method of learning through actually reading a publication that I can actually hold in my hands. Foreign Affairs magazine is an excellent example. So is Phil Steele's magazine.

Oh, nice! Foreign Affairs is a well-conceived magazine.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Porked Tongue

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on June 28, 2017, 05:58:15 pm
I'm more of a Quilted Northern guy, but thanks for the notice.

Another angry Crossett fan.

goodguytex

I like it mainly for the local HS breakdowns. And local colleges too. But yeah it is a big rip off. I usually get it given to me by my brother as a present for my birthday. I'm sure not buying one.

hobhog

I think America should have a "no cell or laptop" week. Just power down the Internet and cell towers and see if anyone under 40 can survive.

It would be good training for the country so when Russia drops the dirty bomb people will know how to think for themselves. But half would probably starve without GPS. And would have to learn how to turn a page (the horror!).

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: AP85 on June 29, 2017, 09:20:54 am
Another angry Crossett fan.
Angry? No. I just demand softness in my t.p.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hobhog on June 29, 2017, 10:05:25 am
I think America should have a "no cell or laptop" week. Just power down the Internet and cell towers and see if anyone under 40 can survive.

It would be good training for the country so when Russia drops the dirty bomb people will know how to think for themselves. But half would probably starve without GPS. And would have to learn how to turn a page (the horror!).
You sound like one of those guys that starts most of his sentences with "back in my day"

razorbackfanatic

June 29, 2017, 12:06:45 pm #21 Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:18:51 pm by razorbackfanatic
This will be my 21st edition in a row to buy. I bought my first one in 1997 with CJ McClain on the front cover that said Resurgent D leads Hogs. I can't tell u how many times I've met someone over the years and they told me what high school they played for and I looked them up to see what their coach said about them. It's a tradition for me and before the internet world really blew up they were like gold for my green analytical personality.

hobhog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 29, 2017, 11:54:28 am
You sound like one of those guys that starts most of his sentences with "back in my day"

Get off my lawn!!

Porked Tongue

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on June 29, 2017, 12:06:45 pm
This will be my 21st edition in a row to buy. I bought my first one in 1997 with CJ McClain on the front cover that said Resurgent D leads Hogs. I can't tell u how many times I've met someone over the years and they told me what high school they played for and I looked them up to see what their coach said about them. It's a tradition for me and before the internet world really blew up they were like gold for my green analytical personality.
If you would have spent that money on Apple stock you'd be a millionaire.

nchogg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 29, 2017, 11:54:28 am
I like it. Sounds like me sometimes with only tv, radio and news papers.

Dr. Starcs

Good to hear from you, Chad

goodguytex

My dad collected them, unknown to me until he died in 08. I found hootens going back to 95,  I believe.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I think they're a good keepsake. Its pretty cool to look back 10 or 15 years and see what the outlook on the program was. Who the big boys on campus were and just reminisce

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 29, 2017, 08:41:32 pm
I think they're a good keepsake. Its pretty cool to look back 10 or 15 years and see what the outlook on the program was. Who the big boys on campus were and just reminisce
True that, but I find their info on the Hogs to be common knowledge for the most part. However,  the high school section is semi-worth it for me.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I've never gotten one.  It sounds like if you are a HS football fan it's basically your Phil Steele if not it's not worth it for the college content which is understandable.  Some of the comments are hilarious though.  Hogville never fails to disappoint.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GuvHog

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on June 29, 2017, 08:53:35 pm
True that, but I find their info on the Hogs to be common knowledge for the most part. However,  the high school section is semi-worth it for me.

No doubt, the high school section is the strength of that publication. They do a good job there. The people who call it a rip off are usually just tight wads who don't want to spend the money to buy it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 11:54:40 am
No doubt, the high school section is the strength of that publication. They do a good job there. The people who call it a rip off are usually just tight wads who don't want to spend the money to buy it.
+1

Mike Irwin

It is an offshoot of Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine. There was a big section on SWC football and a rundown on every high school football conference in the state.

I can tell you if you were a high school player it was a big deal to get mentioned in Dave Campbell's magazine. About 10 years ago an old high school teammate of mine called me on his cell phone. He said: "Hey Irwin I'm at this flea market outside of Lubbock and guess what I found? A 1965 copy of Dave Campbell's magazine. They're talking about you in the section on District 3-AA. You want me to buy it and send it to you?

"How much is it? I asked"

"Thirty five dollars," he answered.

"That's highway robbery," I said. "No thanks."

Now I'm thinking it might have been nice to have. I could pull it out and show it to my grandkids. I've always been a cheapskate.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 29, 2017, 03:46:11 pm
If you would have spent that money on Apple stock you'd be a millionaire.

So you didn't buy hootens?

Where's your millions, then?

haha just kidding hootens does suck. Who would pay that much for a magazine?

Porked Tongue

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 30, 2017, 02:51:46 pm
It is an offshoot of Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine. There was a big section on SWC football and a rundown on every high school football conference in the state.

I can tell you if you were a high school player it was a big deal to get mentioned in Dave Campbell's magazine. About 10 years ago an old high school teammate of mine called me on his cell phone. He said: "Hey Irwin I'm at this flea market outside of Lubbock and guess what I found? A 1965 copy of Dave Campbell's magazine. They're talking about you in the section on District 3-AA. You want me to buy it and send it to you?

Now I'm thinking it might have been nice to have. I could pull it out and show it to my grandkids. I've always been a cheapskate.
That is pretty much the same with Hooten's. I know several proud parents who went and bought one, and it would be worth it for that.
Speaking of, does anyone know of a local high school basketball publication that does a preview?

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 30, 2017, 02:51:46 pm

My first one was about 1972 with Dick Morton on the front. I will buy a 2017 for sure. Good read over and over and over again. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: SamBuckhart on July 01, 2017, 11:44:29 pm
My first one was about 1972 with Dick Morton on the front. I will buy a 2017 for sure. Good read over and over and over again. Wooo Pig!

I remember those Dave Campbell's Arkansas Football magazines very well. My dad used to buy one every year. The Hootens have done a nice job of filling the void created when Dave Campbell stopped doing that publication once Arkansas left the SWC.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 11:54:40 am

It is a little pricy, but for the amount of information that it contains, it's worthwhile. I've bought eight out of the last 11 editions and will be nine of 12 when I get the 2017 book before long.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 30, 2017, 11:03:23 pm
I've never bought a Hooten's. 

You were a closet Hootie supporter, admit it........

I bought 3 when my son was playing, I will admit that.

247Hog

I can't pay $30 for one magazine.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

AirWarren

GuvHog

Quote from: AP85 on July 02, 2017, 09:39:06 pm
18$ with the taxes.

That's odd. I got mine for just a bit over $17.00 with taxes.

GuvHog

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on July 02, 2017, 07:59:15 pm
It is a little pricy, but for the amount of information that it contains, it's worthwhile. I've bought eight out of the last 11 editions and will be nine of 12 when I get the 2017 book before long.

It is a bit pricy but that's because it's much more  a book than it is a magazine

1highhog

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on June 28, 2017, 10:05:16 pm
Except you are NOT "setting" back you are SITTING back! 

No, I'm not "sitting" at all.  I used what I used and "ise" said what I said, I'm setting back and reading.  You can do what you do and I can dooos what Ise dooos.

Lanny

If you like the magazine buy it.  I'm glad someone puts out a High School Magazine
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

rricha

Its a classic book to read before the season it also gives the high school players some pub

Iwastherein1969

in an effeminate voice on 103.7 THE BUZZ on the SONIC BLAST, this person says, "Randy, and Hooten's see's Norphlet's offensive line as an experienced one and they will dominate Parker's Chapel defensive line, final score on this huge game in the very tough district 2B tilt, as Norphlet 11, Parker's Chapel  5, it will be a great game Randy"..."oh they don't have a Sonic in either Norphlet or Parkers Chapel ?  My bad, on to Star City versus England"
The long Grey line will never fail our country.