Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg414 on July 17, 2017, 01:49:02 pm
did he not have a dad until 2 weeks ago?
was his dad not in the picture when he made his original, dramatic, heart felt commitment?

manageable drives, same jersey numbers, and convenient places to stay overnight didnt all just become relevant 2 weeks ago. 

Yeah, still shady.  Dude is acting like Perry's girlfriend just gave birth to his dad a few weeks ago.

"Well, when he committed to Arkansas initially, he didn't have a dad.  His girlfriend just had his dad, so everything changed.  He has to do what is best for his dad, which is clearly to move 7 hours away to a complete shizhole."

King Kong

July 17, 2017, 01:51:25 pm #401 Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:10:31 pm by King Kong
I love you cut an hour off the drive to make it seem more plausible.

It's a 7 hour drive. Expect Senior Perry to have a job in Starkville

ShadowHawg

A
was his dad not in the picture when he made his original, dramatic, heart felt commitment?

manageable drives, same jersey numbers, and convenient places to stay overnight didnt all just become relevant 2 weeks ago.

This has been going on longer than two weeks. I know for a fact the Perry family visited Miss St over a month ago.

It takes months for any illness to get diagnosed. In my mom's case it took years.

Yes, you are right about it having been going in for a while.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 01:51:25 pm
I love you cut an hour off the drive to make it seem more plausible.

It's a 7 hour drive. Expect Senior Perry to have a job in Starkville

It's between 6 and 7. You are so butt hurt you are really trying to claim that as a make or break point.

King Kong

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 17, 2017, 02:19:42 pm
It's between 6 and 7. You are so butt hurt you are really trying to claim that as a make or break point.

It's 7 hours and 1min drive. You are the one grasping at straws to defend you point.

AirWarren

Just a bunch of uneducated morons who live vicariously through these "croots" as they call them.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: King Kong on July 17, 2017, 02:29:40 pm
It's 7 hours and 1min drive. You are the one grasping at straws to defend you point.

You are ocd if you have actually driven and timed it and naive if you simply buy what a mapping software says. I used to travel a lot and the mapping software tends to overestimate drive times.

NWAHog479

Can anybody actually confirm that his dad is ill?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 10:51:57 am
So at Kentucky they run everything through 1-2 players or do 8-10 players share the ball?
That's exactly what I was going to say. Kentucky would seem to be the total opposite of the point that 'too many players play in this system'.
At KY, every recruit is the proverbial 5-star recruit. That makes Cal's recruiting even more impressive, and what also makes him underrated as a coach. He not only convinces those guys to sign with KY knowing full well there will be four other 5-star recruits signing in the kid's same class---but he also gets them to play well as a team. I've never noticed a whole lot of prima-donna behavior on those teams. They generally play hard and play together.
Do I think Cal is a great bench coach? Not really. But his recruiting and 'team first' coaching are off the charts. And that leads to a ton of wins.

BannerMountainMan

I drove it once and it only took me 5 hours and 43 minutes, all interstate, that should end that argument ;)
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

ShadowHawg

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 17, 2017, 02:36:23 pm
I drove it once and it only took me 5 hours and 43 minutes, all interstate, that should end that argument ;)

Lol. Appreciate the levity. Have a good one!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 11:01:27 am
I do not disagree, but it is going to keep Mike from getting the Monk's, Perry's etc.

I do disagree about he GS comparison. 1 those guys are getting paid, and the management can go out and get free agents.
Disagree.
Preaching team concepts and no egos didn't prohibit Nolan from getting Huery, Day, Mayberry, Darnell, Corliss, Wilson, G Alexander, D Hood, K Reid, did it? Every one of those players was either a McDonald's or Parade 1st or 2nd team All-American.

Because Nolan could recruit. Mike, not so much.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 12:37:37 pm
What I see is you said Mikes system isn't conducive to top high school players. When I pointed out that KY runs the same system....somehow that proves I have problem with reasoning ??? Yes KY has numerous lotto picks over the last few years. That was not the point you made. The only difference between MA's system and KY system is KY is doing it with better players. I will say this MA is more concerned about defense than KY otherwise about the same system. The BIG difference which people seem to ignore:

Kentucky is the most successful NCAA Division I basketball program in history in terms of both all-time wins (2,237) and all-time winning percentage (.765). Kentucky leads all schools in total NCAA tournament appearances (56), NCAA tournament wins (124), NCAA Tournament games played (174), NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances (42), NCAA Elite Eight appearances (37), and total postseason tournament appearances (64). Further, Kentucky has played in 17 NCAA Final Fours (tied for 2nd place all-time with UCLA), 12 NCAA Championship games, and has won 8 NCAA championships (second only to UCLA's 11).

Not saying Arkansas basketball does not have a record to be proud of but compare the two it's not even fair. Now if we were consistently losing top players to Auburn...I  could see the butt hurt. So you tell me which person has an easier job to sell Calipari or Mike? That should be enough eliminate a lot post on this thread!
But, Nolan was going head-to-head with Kentucky in his prime. Toe-to-toe with Pitino and all the KY tradition.
People remember that and therefore don't just throw in the towel and expect KY to come here and raid all our recruits.
The right coach can put a stop to much of that.
They realize Mike isn't that kind of caliber, so he can't stop it.
Actually the players themselves realize it first, and that's why they're leaving.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 17, 2017, 12:42:50 pm
+1, He's a coach and a man of ultimate integrity and the Mike critics just can't stand that. ::)
So since Nolan recruited better are you implying he had no integrity?
Or are you saying good recruiting and integrity don't mix?
Not buying that.
Nolan is proof of that.
I don't think he cheated, and he recruited extremely well for a while.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: AP85 on July 17, 2017, 11:46:35 am
So what if he goes where his dad went?
If this commitment sticks, I'm actually ok with it.
Why? Because this is one of the logical places you might have expected Perry to go---considering his dad's history with the school.
If the Hog commitment hadn't happened so long ago, would anyone have been surprised at Perry to MSU? Not me.
And it IS much closer to home than Fayetteville is.

hogsanity

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 17, 2017, 02:38:45 pm
Disagree.
Preaching team concepts and no egos didn't prohibit Nolan from getting Huery, Day, Mayberry, Darnell, Corliss, Wilson, G Alexander, D Hood, K Reid, did it? Every one of those players was either a McDonald's or Parade 1st or 2nd team All-American.

Because Nolan could recruit. Mike, not so much.

Mike is an average recruiter, AT BEST. Why some here won't just admit that is puzzling.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 02:59:38 pm
Mike is an average recruiter, AT BEST. Why some here won't just admit that is puzzling.

Ha. Mo$t of the coache$ at the blue blood$ are average recruiter$ and coache$ at be$t

98hogs

Skankville is a hole.  Good luck Mr. Perry

Hogimus Prime

Jerry Reed drove from Atlanta to Texarkana, TX and back in 18hrs in a truck hauling 400 cases of beer in the late 70's.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 17, 2017, 02:43:35 pm
But, Nolan was going head-to-head with Kentucky in his prime. Toe-to-toe with Pitino and all the KY tradition.
People remember that and therefore don't just throw in the towel and expect KY to come here and raid all our recruits.
The right coach can put a stop to much of that.
They realize Mike isn't that kind of caliber, so he can't stop it.
Actually the players themselves realize it first, and that's why they're leaving.

Dude! Kentucky raids EVERYBODY! Heck I'm so glad the state now produces the type of player that Kentucky wants. Your recollection of history is...different I don't recall Nolan beating KY in recruiting now he did beat them on the floor some but I don't recall Nolan taking players from KY. By the way Mike is 4-7 against Kentucky and had a 3 game win streak against them. Nolan 7-12.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 03:28:19 pm
Dude! Kentucky raids EVERYBODY! Heck I'm so glad the state now produces the type of player that Kentucky wants. Your recollection of history is...different I don't recall Nolan beating KY in recruiting now he did beat them on the floor some but I don't recall Nolan taking players from KY. By the way Mike is 4-7 against Kentucky and had a 3 game win streak against them. Nolan 7-12.

Nolan - NC, NC runner Up 3 Final 4's, an elite 8, couple more sweet 16's all while at Ar. Mike , 3 noshows a 8 seed and a 5 seed. You really want to compare the two.

Oh, and in the year when Mike's team beat KY twice, KY ended up NCAAt runner up and Mike's team ended up losing at Cal in the NIT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 03:36:49 pm
Nolan - NC, NC runner Up 3 Final 4's, an elite 8, couple more sweet 16's all while at Ar. Mike , 3 noshows a 8 seed and a 5 seed. You really want to compare the two.

Oh, and in the year when Mike's team beat KY twice, KY ended up NCAAt runner up and Mike's team ended up losing at Cal in the NIT.

Moving the goal post. The point was made that Nolan went head to head with KY. It appears Mike has too. Neither coach out recruited KY. The reason KY is expected to get the best players from Arkansas is because they have done it to nearly every state in the union. We're not living in a bubble. You say the right coach could stop it, there is no way to prove that as it hasn't happened before. Arkansas will NEVER pay a coach enough to do what you are asking.

ArkansasI

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 03:49:31 pm
Moving the goal post. The point was made that Nolan went head to head with KY. It appears Mike has too. Neither coach out recruited KY. The reason KY is expected to get the best players from Arkansas is because they have done it to nearly every state in the union. We're not living in a bubble. You say the right coach could stop it, there is no way to prove that as it hasn't happened before. Arkansas will NEVER pay a coach enough to do what you are asking.
Name one Arkansas kid that signed with Kentucky while Nolan was our head coach.

The Hogfather

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 17, 2017, 04:17:11 pm

Things are a lot different now.

zebradynasty

Except for maybe Joe or Corliss name an Arkansas kid that KY wanted while Nolan was here?

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 02:59:38 pm
Mike is an average recruiter, AT BEST.
Actually, you're being quite kind.

Breems

Don't you guys understand?

MSU is Perry's Kentucky/Arkansas/Duke/UNC.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HognitiveDissonance

I'm not narrowly focused on Ark and KY going after the same guys. I'm speaking at a higher level than that. Recruiting as a whole.
I listed all the top recruits Nolan signed while he was here. All of those guys are the same caliber of players as the Allens, Monks, and Goodwins of today. That is, they were on the blue blood list of hot-shot recruits of the day. Corliss, Day, Mayberry, Hood, Reid etc etc. Nolan was yes, signing as many hot shots back in the day as the 'blue bloods' were. That was the whole point. And that in turn allowed the great success back then. It's quite simple: you get some of the top recruits, you win a lot. If you don't, you take a backseat to the KYs, Kansas, UNC's and Dukes.
Even though Nolan liked to say especially later that he had Burger King all-americans instead of McDonald's he was being disengenuous, because he signed and went after a lot of the McDonald's guys.
The fact is, Arkansas WAS a blue blood program for a while---all because of great recruiting.

HognitiveDissonance

Think higher.
Don't worry so much about being 4-7 against KY.
Advance farther than them in the NCAA Tournament. That's the goal here. Nolan did that sometimes, Mike not yet.
Sure I enjoyed beating them twice a few years ago, but as someone said by March that year they were torching us. Better talent. Those freshmen take a while to jell usually but by March they were clicking. Beat 'em early is usually the case. They're just freshmen no matter how talented they are. So sometimes you can beat 'em.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 04:40:55 pm
Except for maybe Joe or Corliss name an Arkansas kid that KY wanted while Nolan was here?
Pargo was one that both programs wanted.
I really prefer this to be a macro level discussion and not micro-level as just Ark vs Ky. I'm thinking Ark vs college basketball and what it takes to be highly successful.
Besides, in Pargo's day, Nolan wasn't recruiting as well as he once did, and Tubby wasn't a great recruiter either.

farfromgroovins

I don't know whether to be afraid of what Howland is building at MSU or be skeptical of what he is brewing.

Can't say I like this one getting away but then again no kid is ever a Hog until they sign on the Hogged-line so he technically never was "ours" to begin with.
I like to reserve judgement on a coach until the season is over and gauge them on results on the court rather than what could-have-been with recruits. I guess that is my old-school way of thinking. We just didn't have this much information at our fingertips 20+ years ago to see all the ones that got away unless they were in our back yard.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 17, 2017, 03:13:21 pm
Jerry Reed drove from Atlanta to Texarkana, TX and back in 18hrs in a truck hauling 400 cases of beer in the late 70's.
Don't think so..the Texas side was dry back then.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on July 17, 2017, 06:47:49 pm
Don't think so..the Texas side was dry back then.

Happened. Saw a tv show about it. A guy named Bo Darvill helped in a black Trans Am

tophawg19

He committed to us on his Dad's birthday and they all celebrated it. His family is all for it. Then he goes to an Adidias camp in Europe [MSU IS ADIDIAS} , Arkansas isn't . Coincidence ?????? now he commits to Addias ER I mean MSU . Again i ask Coincidence ?????$$$$$
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hoglady

You can't really compare Nolan's recruiting to today's college basketball.
What's happening with the one and done kids wasn't an issue back then.
The reasons and motivations for recruits were different - kids chose a school knowing they would be there a few years.
For the one and done kid's - it's temporary, a 9 month stopping point to the NBA. For the most part, they don't care about the school or the program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Porkchop#1

Is that not the truth?  What a silly thread.

3kgthog

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 17, 2017, 05:27:36 pm
I'm not narrowly focused on Ark and KY going after the same guys. I'm speaking at a higher level than that. Recruiting as a whole.
I listed all the top recruits Nolan signed while he was here. All of those guys are the same caliber of players as the Allens, Monks, and Goodwins of today. That is, they were on the blue blood list of hot-shot recruits of the day. Corliss, Day, Mayberry, Hood, Reid etc etc. Nolan was yes, signing as many hot shots back in the day as the 'blue bloods' were. That was the whole point. And that in turn allowed the great success back then. It's quite simple: you get some of the top recruits, you win a lot. If you don't, you take a backseat to the KYs, Kansas, UNC's and Dukes.
Even though Nolan liked to say especially later that he had Burger King all-americans instead of McDonald's he was being disengenuous, because he signed and went after a lot of the McDonald's guys.
The fact is, Arkansas WAS a blue blood program for a while---all because of great recruiting.

I leave you to re-writng history. The year we won National Championship how many players off that team went on to a successful NBA career?

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 09:57:09 pm
I leave you to re-writng history. The year we won National Championship how many players off that team went on to a successful NBA career?

One. Corliss.  Beck and McDaniel spent a season or two in the league. Darnell Robinson was drafted but never played in the NBA. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 17, 2017, 10:57:31 am
Sound to me that Mike style is similar to the style of the NBA champions, Golden State Warriors. Mike Anderson is really ahead of the curve in the college game because he is asking kids to sacrifice some of yourself for the greater good of the team. This me Mentality does not fit the team concept. I think some people got in the ear of Reggie Perry and convinced him to decommit.  I don't knock the kid at all because it's his opportunity and he is in a position to do some great things for his family.

I really don't want Mike to sell these kids a lie. The brand is Arkansas Razorbacks basketball!! Not Reggie Perry, Malik Monk, Bobby Portis etc...

Nice.  And RP should know that lots of minutes and possession can and will be earned, but if RP wanted time and possession that he didn't deserve then that's fine.  I care more about Arkansas winning than recruiting.  They should be synonymous but not if players put themselves above the team. 

HogsonHicks

This thread is comical.

I had a great dad until he passed away. He'd tell me to man up and honor my commitment.

LRHawg

All
Day
I
Dream
About
$

"Starkvegas is my Kentucky"

JenksHawg

I saw Perry at the Real Deal. In my estimation he's a similar player but way more skilled and athletic than Bobby Portis. So yeah, losing him is a huge deal and goes from taking the program a big step forward to continue to being stuck in mediocrity. That big of an impact.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 17, 2017, 02:33:29 pm
You are ocd if you have actually driven and timed it and naive if you simply buy what a mapping software says. I used to travel a lot and the mapping software tends to overestimate drive times.

They expect people to drive the speed limit............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Boar War

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 15, 2017, 11:30:43 pm
You people are pretty short minded and basically ignorant to team sports.  If you think losing one player in a team sport will drag a program down, that explains how little understanding of the game you have.  Get it through your thick skulls, one and dones don't improve programs!  See U.K.!  When was the last time their one and done roster won a NC?  Stop it!  You are showing your lack of sports IQ in this thread!

Yeah they're really hurting over there in Kentucky.   Didn't even win a national championship this year.

FWIW there's a huge difference between adding a one and done type talent to a good roster and trying to start over year after year with college freshmen.  Either one seems to be better than not trying to sign the best players.

The_Iceman

Because unless you grow up in Arkansas and are a Hog fan, Mike Anderson cannot recruit you to Arkansas.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 17, 2017, 02:45:20 pm
So since Nolan recruited better are you implying he had no integrity?
Or are you saying good recruiting and integrity don't mix?
Not buying that.
Nolan is proof of that.
I don't think he cheated, and he recruited extremely well for a while.
What I said had nothing to do with recruiting. It has everything to do with Mike doing it the right way rather he gets all the best recruits or not he's not going to do anything shady or shameful to the program to get them. We might not get many 5 stars but we do however get plenty of 4 stars. And the last time I checked 4 stars are not too bad. ;)

Maybe some of us just want a Bobby Petrino repeat or something IDK...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 03:36:49 pm

Point?

Youngsta71701

Wasn't many Arkansas kids at the time that were good enough to even play for Arkansas so why would Kentucky want them? Nolan did however recruit a lot of Memphis kids. Come again?

Hawg Red

Quote from: hoglady on July 17, 2017, 07:47:18 pm
You can't really compare Nolan's recruiting to today's college basketball.
What's happening with the one and done kids wasn't an issue back then.
The reasons and motivations for recruits were different - kids chose a school knowing they would be there a few years.
For the one and done kid's - it's temporary, a 9 month stopping point to the NBA. For the most part, they don't care about the school or the program.

Making way too much sense for Hogville to adopt this fact.