Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 14, 2017, 11:13:24 pm
Interesting quote. Maybe MA would have more luck recruiting if he ran a different more pro style system.

Golden State plays a up and down system.

lynbug

So let me get this straight..... Mike turned UAB around , then went to Mizzou and turned their program around.  But, somehow since then recruiting, in state talent loyalty, one and dones, etc.... heck the whole college basketball landscape has totally changed.  Well.... it seems like we gotta change with it.  Not sure who, how, when or what has to change.  Or maybe we should take up a collection (yeah, I know... it would need to be a huge collection) and send Cal to an island in the South Pacific cause he has become the proverbial "turd in the SEC coaching punchbowl".

batmanfan

We had people adamant on here just shaming folks if they didn't totally believe 100% it was about his dad being sick.  Lol.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

niels_boar

Quote from: batmanfan on July 15, 2017, 12:40:28 pm
We had people adamant on here just shaming folks if they didn't totally believe 100% it was about his dad being sick.  Lol.

What's the point of questioning whether a recruit has a sick family member?   If he signs with FSU, you're going to look like jackass.  Decommitting is not an action that is beyond the pale for any recruit. They have a right to do so. Hence, they didn't owe anybody a public explanation. Find something better to do.  It shouldn't be that difficult.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on July 14, 2017, 10:46:07 pm
The mystery is why anyone would see a mystery here.  MA is a lackluster coach with a lackluster career record.  They don't hang banners for never having had a losing season.

Meanwhile ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2600224-bobby-portis-still-waiting-but-ready-for-opportunity-with-chicago-bulls

"It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me."
I like the gyst of your take, but that's too harsh. I wouldn't use 'lackluster' at all.
Mike has had a very nice career. He's had 'success' everywhere he's been a head coach.
By anyone's measurement, they would say he's been 'successful' at each stop. Including Arkansas.
The problem is only if you're expecting more than that. He has put together pieces and band-aids of a team at each stop and won games.
But he usually never has enough talent to go farther. And that's because of average recruiting.
It's only if you dream of being an elite program does Mike look bad.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 15, 2017, 03:24:49 pm
I like the gyst of your take, but that's too harsh. I wouldn't use 'lackluster' at all.
Mike has had a very nice career. He's had 'success' everywhere he's been a head coach.
By anyone's measurement, they would say he's been 'successful' at each stop. Including Arkansas.
The problem is only if you're expecting more than that. He has put together pieces and band-aids of a team at each stop and won games.
But he usually never has enough talent to go farther. And that's because of average recruiting.
It's only if you dream of being an elite program does Mike look bad.

Well, seems to me that lackluster is generous.  MA simply isn't a championship coach.  He's an also ran coach.  The only reason he's had two pops in record the last 3 years at Arkansas is because the SEC schedule imbalance, a product of over expansion, fell heavily in his favor.   If he was ever going to put together a team that could compete for the conference title then he couldn't have asked for a better crutch. 

We know that the Razorback program doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone.  We knew when Long made the MA hire that any hope of championship success in the future was gone.  I don't blame MA.  He got paid a lot of money to take a job he couldn't handle.  He is what he is and he simply can't do any better.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on July 15, 2017, 08:12:11 pm
Well, seems to me that lackluster is generous.  MA simply isn't a championship coach.  He's an also ran coach.  The only reason he's had two pops in record the last 3 years at Arkansas is because the SEC schedule imbalance, a product of over expansion, fell heavily in his favor.   If he was ever going to put together a team that could compete for the conference title then he couldn't have asked for a better crutch. 

We know that the Razorback program doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone.  We knew when Long made the MA hire that any hope of championship success in the future was gone.  I don't blame MA.  He got paid a lot of money to take a job he couldn't handle.  He is what he is and he simply can't do any better.

Mike Anderson has been the best thing to happen to the basketball program in the last 20 years. The guy is a winner and he wins the right way.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 15, 2017, 08:48:21 pm
Mike Anderson has been the best thing to happen to the basketball program in the last 20 years. The guy is a winner and he wins the right way.

I think your over exaggerating winning. MA is 128–74 (.634), 60–46 (.566) in conference and only two NCAA tournament appearances at Arkansas. But you make MA out to be Coach K.

As for doing it the right way. Maybe that's part of the problem when it comes to recruiting. MA and staff don't want to get in the mud a little to land elite players.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Pancetta

Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

HogFoo

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 15, 2017, 11:30:43 pm
You people are pretty short minded and basically ignorant to team sports.  If you think losing one player in a team sport will drag a program down, that explains how little understanding of the game you have.  Get it through your thick skulls, one and dones don't improve programs!  See U.K.!  When was the last time their one and done roster won a NC?  Stop it!  You are showing your lack of sports IQ in this thread!
i always think its funny the ones who get angry at ones complaining about a recruit and yet they themselves are complaining about those complainers. haha.. okay.......

One & dones.....  i guess it really depends on the timing of a 1&done.  take for example last season.  We had a pretty good core of talent as we found out as we should have beaten UNC,, the eventual NC of basketball.  Now some look at it and say, Malik wouldnt have helped that much last season, we still had a great season, etc..etc.. but, i will just have to call BS on that.  IF Malik had came, mixed in with what we have, we very well could have gone undefeated and probably at the worst been a final four team.  I believe that Malik would have still been draffted at least where he was at 11th in the NBA draft.  He would not have hurt his stock at all and probably would have improved it just a little bit more while becoming a state hero, and also while bringing hog ball back where it's supposed to be.   Well, it didnt happen.  I agree, i dont think losing any one player will kill a team, but it can sure help it gain higher noterioty and standing.   Just like with R.Perry.  The nucleus of that team is great.  The combined players as a whole are great.  Does losing Perry kill the nucleus and make it a suck team?  No.  Does adding him elevate the possibilities of what this team could do?  Of course it does.  As many say, those type players are the 'missing pieces' .  That's what seperates the Duke, kansas, UK, etc..etc.. from the rest, because they are able to continue to get that 'missing piece' they need to put together a national championship team.  Will this 18' class now be able to achieve that type of lading?  I doubt it.  But, will they be good?  yes, i think that they will be!   I believe theyll be a perenial sweet16 type team.  No one else on that team will be considered a 1&done, so, by the time they are all jr's, adding in some of the other in state talent, (if we can get them lol) we will have a team good enough to possibly go further in the tournament.   

It takes time to get these teams of that type stature when we can't get 'missing piece' type players to come and be a Hogs.    What we will have until we can finally get those kinds of players, are hard willed, tough teams who will win probably 25 games a year average.  With the occasional 27+ win seasons, and elite 8 trips.  Eventually though, we'll get another Corlis, or Portis, who will say, by gosh, the UA really IS my Kentucky, my Duke, and i am going to come in and win a title for my home state Hogs!   oh wait.... we did have that kid, but then his dad supposedly got sick.. =-/   :puke:

it sucks.  it really does because it just delays what i feel will be the inevitable a little bit longer.  And that is, another national title.  I really feel that we will get that feeling again.  We will!  but, it'll keep being pushed further and further back until we can convince our own state talent to "be arkansas"  not just from arkansas! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HognitiveDissonance

No, Mike does do it the 'right' way. And that does indeed count for something. Wins and losses are the ultimate judge, but having integrity and having good academics will give you the benefit of the doubt if it comes to that.
But I don't believe you have to shade the rules to be good at recruiting.
Yes, I do believe every program has some guys who are glad to hand out $100 handshakes and line up jobs for you as a favor. But that goes on everywhere.
I don't believe Nolan was cheating when he was convincing Huery, Day, Mayberry, etc in the late 80s to come here. Switching from Sutton ball to Nolan ball was a complete shift and was essentially starting over at 12-16 in 1985. There was no 'history' to sell as far as Nolan's tenure was. He was just selling a vision and himself. But he convinced those guys to buy into that vision that good things were going to happen here. Sure, after that it gets a little easier because then you have some actual success to sell. But that's all recruiting is: selling yourself, your vision, and your school. Sales 101.
Nolan had a commanding personality that demanded respect and he was also on the leading edge of that style of play. Recruits back then obviously listened to him.
Mike doesn't have any of that. He doesn't have to cheat, he's just not a good salesman.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 17, 2017, 09:50:59 am
No, Mike does do it the 'right' way. And that does indeed count for something. Wins and losses are the ultimate judge, but having integrity and having good academics will give you the benefit of the doubt if it comes to that.
But I don't believe you have to shade the rules to be good at recruiting.
Yes, I do believe every program has some guys who are glad to hand out $100 handshakes and line up jobs for you as a favor. But that goes on everywhere.
I don't believe Nolan was cheating when he was convincing Huery, Day, Mayberry, etc in the late 80s to come here. Switching from Sutton ball to Nolan ball was a complete shift and was essentially starting over at 12-16 in 1985. There was no 'history' to sell as far as Nolan's tenure was. He was just selling a vision and himself. But he convinced those guys to buy into that vision that good things were going to happen here. Sure, after that it gets a little easier because then you have some actual success to sell. But that's all recruiting is: selling yourself, your vision, and your school. Sales 101.
Nolan had a commanding personality that demanded respect and he was also on the leading edge of that style of play. Recruits back then obviously listened to him.
Mike doesn't have any of that. He doesn't have to cheat, he's just not a good salesman.

I know we all say some people can sell ice to an Eskimos but has anyone ever considered it may be WHAT Mike is trying to sell?

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 10:04:05 am
I know we all say some people can sell ice to an Eskimos but has anyone ever considered it may be WHAT Mike is trying to sell?

Mike is trying to sell a style in which 8-10 players share time and the ball in a game that has become focused on individuals. The elite players do not want to share time with a guy who was recruited by only Arkansas and Keneesaw St. They want to be the focus, they want to be the headliner to build their brand to get the highest draft pick possible to make the most $.

His sales pitch is going to work on 3 star guys, and juco guys. It is not going to work on one and done types because he is not selling what they are looking for.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 10:28:51 am
Mike is trying to sell a style in which 8-10 players share time and the ball in a game that has become focused on individuals. The elite players do not want to share time with a guy who was recruited by only Arkansas and Keneesaw St. They want to be the focus, they want to be the headliner to build their brand to get the highest draft pick possible to make the most $.

His sales pitch is going to work on 3 star guys, and juco guys. It is not going to work on one and done types because he is not selling what they are looking for.

So at Kentucky they run everything through 1-2 players or do 8-10 players share the ball?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 10:28:51 am

Sound to me that Mike style is similar to the style of the NBA champions, Golden State Warriors. Mike Anderson is really ahead of the curve in the college game because he is asking kids to sacrifice some of yourself for the greater good of the team. This me Mentality does not fit the team concept. I think some people got in the ear of Reggie Perry and convinced him to decommit.  I don't knock the kid at all because it's his opportunity and he is in a position to do some great things for his family.

I really don't want Mike to sell these kids a lie. The brand is Arkansas Razorbacks basketball!! Not Reggie Perry, Malik Monk, Bobby Portis etc...

hogsanity

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 17, 2017, 10:57:31 am
Sound to me that Mike style is similar to the style of the NBA champions, Golden State Warriors. Mike Anderson is really ahead of the curve in the college game because he is asking kids to sacrifice some of yourself for the greater good of the team. This me Mentality does not fit the team concept. I think some people got in the ear of Reggie Perry and convinced him to decommit.  I don't knock the kid at all because it's his opportunity and he is in a position to do some great things for his family.

I really don't want Mike to sell these kids a lie. The brand is Arkansas Razorbacks basketball!! Not Reggie Perry, Malik Monk, Bobby Portis etc...

I do not disagree, but it is going to keep Mike from getting the Monk's, Perry's etc.

I do disagree about he GS comparison. 1 those guys are getting paid, and the management can go out and get free agents.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 10:51:57 am
So at Kentucky they run everything through 1-2 players or do 8-10 players share the ball?

KY has had how many lottery picks the last 5 years? If you do not see the difference we cant help you.

ArkansasI

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 10:04:05 am

Your problem is that you see inferiority when you look at the University of Arkansas.  You have bought the media message hook, line and sinker.  The opinions you offer make me question your reason for being a fan...

I believe that I see the University of Arkansas for what it is... a fine state university in an attractive area to live.  I'm extremely proud of our efforts to be competitive in all aspects.  It is not Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Yale or Duke - nor is it intended to be.  But I also know that the University of Arkansas offers as good an university experience and opportunity as the University of Kentucky, the University of Florida, Mississippi State University, the University of Kansas and other state universities.

Arkansas should be recruiting against the latter schools, but we haven't been.  Mike's staff has us recruiting mostly against schools that offer a lesser college experience.  This is not a criticism of those schools.  They simply don't have the resources to offer more to their student athletes.  No shame in that.

Don't bother trying - you cannot convince me otherwise.  You may point to lottery picks, and I would explain that they would have been lottery picks elsewhere - including Arkansas.  I would point to players that went to certain schools expecting to come out as lottery picks, but didn't.

There is no way to prove which of us is right.  It's a waste of our collective time.  You believe that Arkansas is inferior - and I disagree.  Perhaps you haven't traveled much; or you are inclined to believe that what others have is better than your own simply because of who possesses it.  I see things differently - what others have is great.  Luckily, we can match it.

True, we are without the recent tradition of success that certain other schools have enjoyed.  I believe much of our tradition has been lost due to claims of racism and the abandonment of Arkansas recruits of the Razorback tradition.  Both of these burdens are terrifically difficult burdens to bear.  We have the passage of time to get past the former.  The latter... we are a unique tradition and pay coaches a lot of money to ensure its continuation.  In fact, Arkansas has less to "overcome" now than ever before.  Industry leaders are nearby - Wal-Mart, Tyson, Stephens, Dillards...

I believe that winning starts at home.  When they are going to Stanford and Duke, I'm likely to understand their "business decision" if they prove to be attending that university for reasons other than a "one and done" basketball experience.  For all others, I'll question their business acumen.

Of course, none of this applies to Reggie Perry because he is from Georgia.  But I do believe that Arkansas should not lose Reggie Perry to any schools other than Georgia Tech and Georgia.  In fact, Arkansas seems to have a competitive advantage over the other schools because Reggie is friends with our committed recruits.

King Kong

To the post above. Florida State is closer to where Reggie lives than UGA or Tech

The_Iceman

Committed to Miss State. What a joke.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 11:39:42 am

Certainly not about being toooo close to his dad.  I think he got paid and/or his dad put pressure on him to go to his alma mater.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2017, 11:39:42 am

YEa, so much closer to dad than Fayetteville.

AirWarren

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 17, 2017, 11:43:58 am
Certainly not about being toooo close to his dad.  I think he got paid and/or his dad put pressure on him to go to his alma mater.

So what if he goes where his dad went?

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on July 17, 2017, 11:46:35 am

That is not the issue. The issue was the reports that his decision to de-commit had to do with his dad's health and wanting to be closer to him in Florida.

The Hogfather

Quote from: AP85 on July 17, 2017, 11:46:35 am

Sure, Miss State is closer than Fayetteville, but it is still 7 hours away.  He can go to where his dad went, but I think something dishonest and/or nefarious is going on here.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 11:49:59 am
That is not the issue. The issue was the reports that his decision to de-commit had to do with his dad's health and wanting to be closer to him in Florida.

7h:20 minutes to a game vs 13h:20 minutes to a game. Do the math.

Why are y'all so angry? I've been alive 32 years and this is razorback athletics. Nothing has changed and nothing will ever change.

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on July 17, 2017, 11:55:26 am

Why are y'all so angry? I've been alive 32 years and this is razorback athletics. Nothing has changed and nothing will ever change.

Who said I was angry? I am not surprised at all that Mike could not keep everyone in that class. Not enough basketball to go around.

The Hogfather

Not angry.  Calling bullshiz when I see it.

Hawg Red

Going to be tough to expect people to buy Mississippi being close to home (Georgia). People don't think a full (work) day of driving when they think "close to home."

But, obviously, it's closer to Arkansas. Not close enough to make it stop smelling fishy, though. Is what it is. Let people live and have emotions. People will react to stuff like this on message boards. Now, the people attacking Twitter, while I don't feel bad for him, that's a bad look. No harm in having an opinion on something Razorback related on a Razorback message board.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 11:02:21 am
KY has had how many lottery picks the last 5 years? If you do not see the difference we cant help you.

What I see is you said Mikes system isn't conducive to top high school players. When I pointed out that KY runs the same system....somehow that proves I have problem with reasoning ??? Yes KY has numerous lotto picks over the last few years. That was not the point you made. The only difference between MA's system and KY system is KY is doing it with better players. I will say this MA is more concerned about defense than KY otherwise about the same system. The BIG difference which people seem to ignore:

Kentucky is the most successful NCAA Division I basketball program in history in terms of both all-time wins (2,237) and all-time winning percentage (.765). Kentucky leads all schools in total NCAA tournament appearances (56), NCAA tournament wins (124), NCAA Tournament games played (174), NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances (42), NCAA Elite Eight appearances (37), and total postseason tournament appearances (64). Further, Kentucky has played in 17 NCAA Final Fours (tied for 2nd place all-time with UCLA), 12 NCAA Championship games, and has won 8 NCAA championships (second only to UCLA's 11).

Not saying Arkansas basketball does not have a record to be proud of but compare the two it's not even fair. Now if we were consistently losing top players to Auburn...I  could see the butt hurt. So you tell me which person has an easier job to sell Calipari or Mike? That should be enough eliminate a lot post on this thread!

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 12:37:37 pm
What I see is you said Mikes system isn't conducive to top high school players. When I pointed out that KY runs the same system....somehow that proves I have problem with reasoning ??? Yes KY has numerous lotto picks over the last few years. That was not the point you made. The only difference between MA's system and KY system is KY is doing it with better players. I will say this MA is more concerned about defense than KY otherwise about the same system. The BIG difference which people seem to ignore:

Kentucky is the most successful NCAA Division I basketball program in history in terms of both all-time wins (2,237) and all-time winning percentage (.765). Kentucky leads all schools in total NCAA tournament appearances (56), NCAA tournament wins (124), NCAA Tournament games played (174), NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances (42), NCAA Elite Eight appearances (37), and total postseason tournament appearances (64). Further, Kentucky has played in 17 NCAA Final Fours (tied for 2nd place all-time with UCLA), 12 NCAA Championship games, and has won 8 NCAA championships (second only to UCLA's 11).

Not saying Arkansas basketball does not have a record to be proud of but compare the two it's not even fair. Now if we were consistently losing top players to Auburn...I  could see the butt hurt. So you tell me which person has an easier job to sell Calipari or Mike? That should be enough eliminate a lot post on this thread!

Well, we just lost one to MSU................

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 15, 2017, 08:48:21 pm
+1, He's a coach and a man of ultimate integrity and the Mike critics just can't stand that. ::)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 15, 2017, 09:51:45 pm
I think your over exaggerating winning. MA is 128–74 (.634), 60–46 (.566) in conference and only two NCAA tournament appearances at Arkansas. But you make MA out to be Coach K.

As for doing it the right way. Maybe that's part of the problem when it comes to recruiting. MA and staff don't want to get in the mud a little to land elite players.
However you want to spin it we're right there with Kentucky and Florida when it comes to total wins and SEC wins since Mike has been the coach. Now spin that.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 10:51:57 am
Good one... ;D

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 11:02:21 am
But don't those lottery picks share the ball and play as a team?

JayBell

Damn.  I thought the strong finish to the season and the return of Barford and Macon would have quelled some of the intense anti-Anderson sentiment on here.  Guess not.

There really shouldn't be much to dispute at this point.  If he was a great coach, he'd win more, sign better recruits and actually keep them on campus.  If he was a terrible coach, he would lose more often, especially considering the mediocre nature of his recruiting classes.

Like most things, the reality is closer to the middle.  Unfortunately, Anderson may hamper himself further by steadfastly standing by a system that deters elite prospects from signing with his program.  Maybe he can build a successful program with a lot of JUCO players and less recruited high school commits, but it looks like he will always have to do it without the Monks, Allens and Perry's of the world.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 17, 2017, 12:42:50 pm
+1, He's a coach and a man of ultimate integrity and the Mike critics just can't stand that. ::)

So wait, now integrity is good? I get confused here because it seems to vary by sport if integrity is a good trait or not.

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 17, 2017, 12:48:29 pm
But don't those lottery picks share the ball and play as a team?

Some have argued that their selfishness has been their downfall in the ncaat the last 3 or 4 years.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 12:11:13 pm
Going to be tough to expect people to buy Mississippi being close to home (Georgia). People don't think a full (work) day of driving when they think "close to home."

But, obviously, it's closer to Arkansas. Not close enough to make it stop smelling fishy, though. Is what it is. Let people live and have emotions. People will react to stuff like this on message boards. Now, the people attacking Twitter, while I don't feel bad for him, that's a bad look. No harm in having an opinion on something Razorback related on a Razorback message board.

No harm in having opinions?

Like the opinions of some who questioned how we had a particular offensive lineman on a awards watch list?

That's the main problem with this website. It's the "slanted" opinions that are welcomed. Not the critical ones.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 12:54:01 pm
Some have argued that their selfishness has been their downfall in the ncaat the last 3 or 4 years.
Maybe :-\ but at least they play good enough as a team to get there.

Hawg Red

Quote from: AP85 on July 17, 2017, 12:54:58 pm

Like the opinions of some who questioned how we had a particular offensive lineman on a awards watch list?

That's the main problem with this website. It's the "slanted" opinions that are welcomed. Not the critical ones.

All opinions should be welcome.

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on July 17, 2017, 12:54:58 pm

Because one drives traffic and the other doesnt.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2017, 12:58:24 pm
All opinions should be welcome.

Correct. But around here, it's not.

Unless your jocking it up so tight players can't breathe.

AirWarren

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 12:58:47 pm
Because one drives traffic and the other doesnt.

Haha. It's usually the same know it all posting anyways.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 12:39:08 pm
Well, we just lost one to MSU................

And somehow that was because of Mike!? Just seems to me that the kid/family made a decision based upon things other than basketball. I don't know that but I feel pretty sure it wasn't because Mike didn't make a good enough case.

hawgfan4life

End commitment to AR to go to Miss St?  Reason is for proximity to family member for health reasons?  Driving distance to FL State, FL, GA, AL, AUB, and GA Tech are all closer drives.  There are several other drives that are very similar in distance to his home as Miss St that provide quality basketball opportunities.  Staying close to father is not a sound reason when you drive multiple times farther distances and don't choose Florida State, Florida, Georgia Tech, Georgia, and Auburn.  All of these schools were a very reasonable distance.  A five star going to Miss State doesn't add up other than Dad being an alumni of that school.  Still, that is an odd commitment when he hadn't committed to them already.  I smell a rat.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 17, 2017, 11:07:58 am
Your problem is that you see inferiority when you look at the University of Arkansas.  You have bought the media message hook, line and sinker.  The opinions you offer make me question your reason for being a fan...

I believe that I see the University of Arkansas for what it is... a fine state university in an attractive area to live.  I'm extremely proud of our efforts to be competitive in all aspects.  It is not Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Yale or Duke - nor is it intended to be.  But I also know that the University of Arkansas offers as good an university experience and opportunity as the University of Kentucky, the University of Florida, Mississippi State University, the University of Kansas and other state universities.

Arkansas should be recruiting against the latter schools, but we haven't been.  Mike's staff has us recruiting mostly against schools that offer a lesser college experience.  This is not a criticism of those schools.  They simply don't have the resources to offer more to their student athletes.  No shame in that.

Don't bother trying - you cannot convince me otherwise.  You may point to lottery picks, and I would explain that they would have been lottery picks elsewhere - including Arkansas.  I would point to players that went to certain schools expecting to come out as lottery picks, but didn't.

There is no way to prove which of us is right.  It's a waste of our collective time.  You believe that Arkansas is inferior - and I disagree.  Perhaps you haven't traveled much; or you are inclined to believe that what others have is better than your own simply because of who possesses it.  I see things differently - what others have is great.  Luckily, we can match it.

True, we are without the recent tradition of success that certain other schools have enjoyed.  I believe much of our tradition has been lost due to claims of racism and the abandonment of Arkansas recruits of the Razorback tradition.  Both of these burdens are terrifically difficult burdens to bear.  We have the passage of time to get past the former.  The latter... we are a unique tradition and pay coaches a lot of money to ensure its continuation.  In fact, Arkansas has less to "overcome" now than ever before.  Industry leaders are nearby - Wal-Mart, Tyson, Stephens, Dillards...

I believe that winning starts at home.  When they are going to Stanford and Duke, I'm likely to understand their "business decision" if they prove to be attending that university for reasons other than a "one and done" basketball experience.  For all others, I'll question their business acumen.

Of course, none of this applies to Reggie Perry because he is from Georgia.  But I do believe that Arkansas should not lose Reggie Perry to any schools other than Georgia Tech and Georgia.  In fact, Arkansas seems to have a competitive advantage over the other schools because Reggie is friends with our committed recruits.

WOW! You were able to discern that from one post stating that Arkansas is not as good of program as Kentucky?

Hawg Red

Quote from: AP85 on July 17, 2017, 01:02:03 pm
Correct. But around here, it's not.

Unless your jocking it up so tight players can't breathe.

You're taking it up with the wrong person. I'm just a dude talking like you. Don't want to hear anyone tell me how I should feel or react to something so long as I'm being reasonable.

ShadowHawg

Perry going to Miss St only makes sense because of his dad.

A 6 hour drive is manageable for home games. Especially in a town where the Perry family probably has friends to stay with overnight as well since his father is an alumni. So it is much easier on his father if he plays in Starkville.

Secondly, if your father weren't having health problems it would be tempting to play at the same school as he did anyway. Wear the same jersey #, etc. If your father was very ill the pull would be even stronger, if you loved him. Most of us want to please and honor our father's.

Third, Ben Howland isn't worth zilch for improving NBA stock. In the last two years he has taken 2, 5 star rated kids and turned them into transfers, not one and dones. Too many of you are being smarter by half on this one.

Sucks to lose such a talented kid but it looks like he really does care about his dad in this instance.

Hawg414

did he not have a dad until 2 weeks ago?
was his dad not in the picture when he made his original, dramatic, heart felt commitment?

manageable drives, same jersey numbers, and convenient places to stay overnight didnt all just become relevant 2 weeks ago.