Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Five

Quote from: The real Hogules on July 06, 2017, 07:26:51 am
NO, not everyone is mad at Mike Anderson! Some that post here are adults and know that crap like this happens. It's only the diaper wearing crowd that jumps on the coach and declares the rest of TWO recruiting classes "meh", due to the loss of a single recruit.
Hopefully someday though, you'll grow up and stop making yourself look foolish.

CONCUR
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

J-Five

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 06, 2017, 08:10:14 am
It is not hard to out recruit Anderson. Once the doors were open for people to start talking to him, we were never gonna land him unless he was just set on Arkansas for whatever reason.

So, MA should've locked Perry in a room, huh.  So, no other school could talk to him? 
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: J-Five on July 06, 2017, 09:45:21 am
So, MA should've locked Perry in a room, huh.  So, no other school could talk to him? 

Thats what LA Tech did with Karl Malone

The_Iceman

bkjbearcat

It looks like the, "I should accept mediocrity and poor recruiting" guys are coming out of the wood work. Again, Arkansas basketball is eerily starting to feel like Arkansas football. Just sit back and accept mediocre classes and convince yourself how great and top notch they are.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 09:37:20 am
It's not that easy, that's why every team can't do it.... but I disagree, it is that simple... winning teams recruit better..

How do you win without the better recruits? It can be done, but it's tough to do consistently. It takes a lot of good fortune. A coach like Anderson needs kids to stay in the program. That is what has gotten him so far, IMO. It was a huge deal for both Barford and Macon to come back for this season. It's just tough out there right now for programs like Arkansas that have to battle transfers (which every program has to) and try to sell themselves, without breaking rules or blurred lines, to top national recruits. By no means am I saying Mike Anderson is recruiting as well as he can because I'll never feel that way. I do think there is that extra gear missing from our coaching staff when it comes to recruiting. They're too old school, for the most part. The addition of Scotty Thurman seems like it's helped but I guess it's possible it hasn't. You can't just have one good year and expect recruits to start lining up. And it's damn near impossible to win consistently without those kinds of recruits.

J-Five

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 09:51:41 am
It looks like the, "I should accept mediocrity and poor recruiting" guys are coming out of the wood work. Again, Arkansas basketball is eerily starting to feel like Arkansas football. Just sit back and accept mediocre classes and convince yourself how great and top notch they are.

Stop watching then...simple.  No one is accepting mediocrity, but some folks are rational and realize that things happen, ESPECIALLY when a teenager is involved.  Secondly, you can't make a kid do anything.  We aren't a "blue blood" school, so this will happen to us, unfortunately.  I'm confident in MA, if he doesn't get the job done, then he'll be gone. 

Hawg Red

How many programs in college basketball are truly above "mediocrity?" How many programs in college basketball truly have excellent recruiting year in and year out?

No one is happy about losing Reggie Perry. But at some point you might want to consider setting realistic expectations for yourself as a fan in light of what is realistic in college basketball.

azhog10

Mike did all he could do. Hell he had the kid committed saying we were his Kansas and Kentucky. Obviously something happened when he went on the trip. Maybe it was being away from home, maybe it was someone got in his ear and told him if he wants to be a lottery pick then he has to go somewhere else. Who knows. Saying CMA will play him at the 4 and so and so will play him at the 3 is dumb. Mike really doesn't have positions. All his guys are fairly interchangeable outside of the 5 and Perry was never going to play that position. This smells like handlers or others got involved and in his head. Mom sent out a tweet saying she really wants him to be a razorback but she wants him to follow his heart and do what he wants. Sadly it didn't work out for us. I expect his return to the Hawks to be a bit chilling. Sills and Justice seem to be a little upset about his decision.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 09:59:48 am
How many programs in college basketball are truly above "mediocrity?" How many programs in college basketball truly have excellent recruiting year in and year out?

No one is happy about losing Reggie Perry. But at some point you might want to consider setting realistic expectations for yourself as a fan in light of what is realistic in college basketball.

I don't think we're Kansas or Michigan St. But the conference is getting better and it seems like Arkansas under MA are constantly in neutral. He's going into his 7th season and I know I'm not the only one tired of going two steps forward and one step back and being told just to accept it.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hoglady

Hate to lose this kid - hate even more to hear his father is having health issues.
I can't imagine Perry isn't being truthful about his Dad - I mean there's really no reason to say that if it's not true.
Hoping his Dad gets better and Perry finds a program he can be happy with and stay close to home.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

onebadrubi

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 10:09:13 am
I don't think we're Kansas or Michigan St. But the conference is getting better and it seems like Arkansas under MA are constantly in neutral. He's going into his 7th season and I know I'm not the only one tired of going two steps forward and one step back and being told just to accept it.

You aren't paying attention if you think we are neutral. 

Look at the last two years, look at who we have coming back and coming in.  That is far from neutral.  We still have PLENTY of time to find a good replacement for perry and believe it or not, a one and done hurts us at this point in building back the program.  We need 2-4 year players.

texas tush hog

Quote from: azhog10 on July 06, 2017, 10:05:59 am
Mike did all he could do. Hell he had the kid committed saying we were his Kansas and Kentucky. Obviously something happened when he went on the trip. Maybe it was being away from home, maybe it was someone got in his ear and told him if he wants to be a lottery pick then he has to go somewhere else. Who knows. Saying CMA will play him at the 4 and so and so will play him at the 3 is dumb. Mike really doesn't have positions. All his guys are fairly interchangeable outside of the 5 and Perry was never going to play that position. This smells like handlers or others got involved and in his head. Mom sent out a tweet saying she really wants him to be a razorback but she wants him to follow his heart and do what he wants. Sadly it didn't work out for us. I expect his return to the Hawks to be a bit chilling. Sills and Justice seem to be a little upset about his decision.

The next few weeks will tell the story. He either goes to Florida State, Georgia Tech, Georgia or Auburn if this is all legit. If he goes to Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke or Kansas then the whole thing is a farce. It's not like he is an Arkansas kid like Monk or Goodwin. Neither of those two should ever be allowed back in the state. Either way we will be okay.

Dominicanhog

so the conference is getting better but we are taking steps backwards?.. I think we have the 2nd most wins in the  SEC since Mikes arrival.. we had one year where we took a step back and then rebounded for a pretty good season.. and should be in good shape for another...

azhog10

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 06, 2017, 10:15:12 am

The next few weeks will tell the story. He either goes to Florida State, Georgia Tech, Georgia or Auburn if this is all legit. If he goes to Kentucky or Kansas then the whole thing is a farce. It's not like he is an Arkansas kid like Monk or Goodwin. Neither of those two should ever be allowed back. Either way we will be okay.
Exactly! Florida State makes the most sense.

LRHawg

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 06, 2017, 10:15:12 am

The next few weeks will tell the story. He either goes to Florida State, Georgia Tech, Georgia or Auburn if this is all legit. If he goes to Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke or Kansas then the whole thing is a farce. It's not like he is an Arkansas kid like Monk or Goodwin. Neither of those two should ever be allowed back in the state. Either way we will be okay.

Yeah, I mean, why paint yourself into a corner with the comment about his father's health and staying home, if you don't keep it to within the few schools nearby? The slightly less amount of backlash from the decommit isn't worth making up some story about your old man being sick. I would sincerely hope that this kid is not taught it is ok to lie about something as series as their father's health. His parents seemed like good people so I just don't see them allowing him to say this if it isn't true. Best of luck to this kid and more importantly, I hope his father recovers from whatever it is.

AirWarren

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 09:41:12 am
I already did.. read a few post up... WIN often and you'll recruit better because kids will know your a winner...

What do you call last year? We had a heck of a season.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hoglady on July 06, 2017, 10:11:32 am
Hate to lose this kid - hate even more to hear his father is having health issues.
I can't imagine Perry isn't being truthful about his Dad - I mean there's really no reason to say that if it's not true.
Hoping his Dad gets better and Perry finds a program he can be happy with and stay close to home.
yeah, well, everybody has or will have health problems. Welcome to Earff. I hate losing this kid and the dad stuff is horse shiot.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

tigerinhogtown

I bet he doesn't make any commitment till next spring.  If his Dad is sick, could need the cash and may jump straight to the G league.  5 stars can wait it out to see what opens up come next spring.

HoopS

Hate to lose him but hope his father gets well.

As for the ones crying again. Whatever. Sulk all you want and bemoan Anderson. Who gives a crap what you same ole crybabies think. Personally, I don't see why some even waste time trying to convince you of anything. You're very bitter and have been for years now. That's your prerogative and you get none of my time or concern beyond this post. Learn to deal with your emotions like the rest of us. Have a good day.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 06, 2017, 08:48:00 am
When I read MA isn't a good recruiter my thought is 'MA won't play dirty'. Let's face it the Bill Selfs, Roy Williams and Calipari types are dirty slimeballs who only get the top players cause they do whatever it takes to get them i.e money, cars, jobs for family.  90% of those types are not good coaches.  They win most of their games cause they out talent a team., not because of their x's and o's.

I don't think Self or Williams "cheat" in that way you imply. Now, maybe the boosters of Kansas or UNC (if you've every been around that crowd at the NCAA Tournament sites, and not unlike a few Arkansas boosters in the 1990s as well -- and Duke boosters, don't let me forget those) may make it worthwhile to choose their school, but I have more reason to believe from what I've seen that they DON'T play dirty than believe any speculation that they do.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 06, 2017, 10:44:48 am
You are showing just how much you don't know about basketball or college recruiting.  5* HS kids go to the best programs available in any sport period.  UA is raising its profile every year in BB and with that, the recruits will come.  UA BB has been in such a horrible place for so long, why would a 5* come here?  As far as the committed class, losing Perry only drops the Hogs in recruiting rankings, not game day results.  The '18 class is still very talented and UA BB is on the rise under MA!  Get your popcorn ready and stop showing your lack of BB and recruiting iq!

Yep, accept poor recruiting and tell yourself the class is top notch. Got it.

Breems

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 06, 2017, 08:48:00 am
When I read MA isn't a good recruiter my thought is 'MA won't play dirty'. Let's face it the Bill Selfs, Roy Williams and Calipari types are dirty slimeballs who only get the top players cause they do whatever it takes to get them i.e money, cars, jobs for family.  90% of those types are not good coaches.  They win most of their games cause they out talent a team., not because of their x's and o's.

They don't have to be dirty. They're at blue blood programs where 5*s flow in like honey.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Arkansas has finished in the top 3 of the SEC in 2 of the last 3 seasons. This news does not do anything for this coming season's outlook.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 06:35:19 am
I'll buy it if he ends up somewhere like FSU. But if he ends up at Kansas, we'll know he's full of it. The whole thing smells fishy, though. Just comparing the way that family acted when he committed to compared to how they've acted in decommitting. Doesn't line up that it's some situation out of their hands. After the heartfelt committment letter you'd think the statements given now would convey more sadness (or whatever term fits best).

Completely agree.  Something is OFF.  Hope his dad gets better, but I don't think that's what is keeping him from coming to Arkansas.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 06, 2017, 11:04:45 am
I don't think Self or Williams "cheat" in that way you imply. Now, maybe the boosters of Kansas or UNC (if you've every been around that crowd at the NCAA Tournament sites, and not unlike a few Arkansas boosters in the 1990s as well -- and Duke boosters, don't let me forget those) may make it worthwhile to choose their school, but I have more reason to believe from what I've seen that they DON'T play dirty than believe any speculation that they do.

UNC under Williams didn't cheat?  Not going to classes and receiving grades has nothing to do with boosters...

texas tush hog

Quote from: azhog10 on July 06, 2017, 10:16:08 am
Exactly! Florida State makes the most sense.

36 miles away and coached by long time excellent coach Leonard Hamilton. Any other school is bogus. If he goes elsewhere, it shoots the whole health issue in the head. If a medical emergency arises, he can be home in 45 minutes.

mizzouman

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 06, 2017, 11:04:45 am
Hmm, hmm.  Self is a cheating SOB. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 05, 2017, 10:45:31 pm
All those guys will do is get us bounced in the second round. Again.

MA and staff just can't recruit elite talent. Struck out two out of three times with five star in state kids now this. He's just not a good recruiter.
You mean he doesn't pay his recruits. Fixed it for ya... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 05, 2017, 11:37:25 pm
Same ones freaking out about Monk last season. Arkansas was 2 minutes away from the sweet 16. Take a deep breath.
Don't worry about him. He's one of those "Mike can't do anything right" type of guys.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 06, 2017, 06:54:52 am
Just another one that got away from Mike Anderson and staff. You just come to expect it now.
Why don't you go ahead and pay the man Iceman so he can come here. I'm sure you got the money to do so... ;) That's pretty much what it boils down to. Coach Anderson runs a clean program and refuses to play players to come here and you have to commend him for that.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 06, 2017, 07:13:05 am
I don't buy the dad is sick.  IMO some other school had someone get in his ear telling him at Arkansas he is going to be stuck at the 4 and if goes to this school he will play at the 3
Hell he's playing the 5 now. Don't see any issue with him not wanting to play the 4.

Youngsta71701

Aw...just STHU...The more you post the dumber and void of reality you sound.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 06, 2017, 10:14:43 am
You aren't paying attention if you think we are neutral. 

Look at the last two years, look at who we have coming back and coming in.  That is far from neutral.  We still have PLENTY of time to find a good replacement for perry and believe it or not, a one and done hurts us at this point in building back the program.  We need 2-4 year players.
Perry basically saying he was going to be a one and done could have something to do with this. Mike could have encouraged him to look around :-\. Mike doesn't want one and done's. He wants kids that are going to here at least 3 years.

TexArkHogFan

Wasn't he quoted as saying he really liked his trip to Los Angeles.  I just cannot see him going to a program that is no better than Arkansas just "to be close to home" We'll see how it plays out but since he presumably is  a one and done would not surprise me to see him end up some place like LA. Getting ready for prime time in the NBA.  Losing Griffin was not that big a deal since he never played up to his full potential as a college player.  Even Cal said "I can't coach you".  Of course that's no big deal either since Cal can't coach anybody.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

navyhog24

Supposedly Marcus Monk is now the handler for Perry

The Hogfather

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 06, 2017, 01:16:11 pm
Supposedly Marcus Monk is now the handler for Perry

Please tell me you're effing around.

NashvilleHog

Rumor on one of the Mississippi State boards is that the family recently visited Starkville.  Who knows how it ends up...
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: NashvilleHog on July 06, 2017, 01:19:45 pm
Rumor on one of the Mississippi State boards is that the family recently visited Starkville.  Who knows how it ends up...

If true, wow.

King Kong

Quote from: NashvilleHog on July 06, 2017, 01:19:45 pm

His dad played college ball there. Wonder if they will offer him a job

That's what I would do

Jim Harris

Quote from: mizzouman on July 06, 2017, 12:01:07 pm
Hmm, hmm.  Self is a cheating SOB. 

Well, you may be right but you're certainly entitled to the opinion. I'm pretty certain he wasn't willing to pay for a recent recruit that was also considering Arkansas, Oregon and Kentucky. That's not all I'm basing the assessment on, but OK. I have no doubt that any coach will take the rules up to the line, though. I think Self and his staff will play tougher in recruiting than perhaps UA's guys. But Self also possesses an edge in the charisma factor when he walks in the gym. Winning a ton helps.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 06, 2017, 11:30:29 am
UNC under Williams didn't cheat?  Not going to classes and receiving grades has nothing to do with boosters...

We were discussing recruiting, not keeping them eligible.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 06, 2017, 12:53:19 pm
Perry basically saying he was going to be a one and done could have something to do with this. Mike could have encouraged him to look around :-\. Mike doesn't want one and done's. He wants kids that are going to here at least 3 years.

Extremely doubtful.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 06, 2017, 01:35:53 pm
We were discussing recruiting, not keeping them eligible.

my bad.. I thought it was cheating.... I guess there are differences to some...

zebradynasty

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 11:09:52 am
Yep, accept poor recruiting and tell yourself the class is top notch. Got it.

So when was there a time that Arkansas signed top 10 classes? EVERY coach that has ever coached here both in football and basketball has stated that recruiting kids here is tough. That's not an excuse it's a fact!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 06, 2017, 02:05:06 pm
So when was there a time that Arkansas signed top 10 classes? EVERY coach that has ever coached here both in football and basketball has stated that recruiting kids here is tough. That's not an excuse it's a fact!

Sure it is... Hey I'm with you. Just accept lackluster recruiting and tell your self all is OK. It's hard to get kids, even in-state kids twenty miles from campus to come to Arkansas.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 06, 2017, 02:05:06 pm

Unbelievable! Arguing College Basketball in July

mizzouman

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 06, 2017, 01:34:26 pm
Well, you may be right but you're certainly entitled to the opinion. I'm pretty certain he wasn't willing to pay for a recent recruit that was also considering Arkansas, Oregon and Kentucky. That's not all I'm basing the assessment on, but OK. I have no doubt that any coach will take the rules up to the line, though. I think Self and his staff will play tougher in recruiting than perhaps UA's guys. But Self also possesses an edge in the charisma factor when he walks in the gym. Winning a ton helps.
I have an entire history of Self and his ways of 'doing business' at ku.  Sad story.

zebradynasty

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 02:09:51 pm
Sure it is... Hey I'm with you. Just accept lackluster recruiting and tell your self all is OK. It's hard to get kids, even in-state kids twenty miles from campus to come to Arkansas.

Well we all have to accept facts...You can say you don't like them but it is what it is. Arkansas is a tough place to recruit. That's not failing to recognize that recruiting is tough for everyone but acknowledge that Arkansas has some problems that is more to deal with than other schools. You're in denial if you think every great player in Arkansas will sign with the Razorbacks. It NEVER has been that way. Changing coaches wont change that...unless you get a Williams, Calipari, Self... to coach here