Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 12, 2017, 12:09:41 pm
I've said that several times, BUT the only times Hog football or basketball are very good is when they have several good in staters. They are never going to sign enough top out of state talent to makeup for missing out on the top in state guys.

If it were just Goodwin, or just Monk, or just Allen it would be one thing, but when it is just about every top in state player, it does show something is there that makes so many of them not want to play for mike.

So he can bond with players nobody expects much from but he can't with potential first round picks? Doesn't make sense to me! ??? The only way that makes sense is that MA doesn't bond well kids that are future NBA draftees because they want him to kiss their rear and he won't. Otherwise, if a 2-3 star kids like Mike then there's no reason to think a 4-5 star kid won't.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 12, 2017, 11:16:52 am
Why is it so hard to accept that some kids don't grow up wanting to be Razorbacks? Also, why criticize kids for leaving Arkansas to play all the time asking for kids from other states to leave their state and come play here. Saw a segment on the other night where Bumper Pool (football player) from TEXAS said he grew up wanting to be a Razorback. Showed pictures of him as a kid wearing a hog jersey. Is he here because of poor recruiting in Texas? Monk, Goodwin, and Allen never wanted to be a Razorback has nothing to do with the coach. I will say this I do not like how Monk handled his recruiting but in the end he was where he WANTED to be.
This isn't true.

First, the coach absolutely makes a difference. Nolan didn't let Corliss or Joe Johnson get away. I don't believe that was a coincidence, or they were just 'all Hog'. Corliss could have went anywhere and it came down to Knight and Indiana and John Thompson and Georgetown. Nolan convinced him to stay home.

Same with Eddie and the Triplets.

It's not one guy with Mike. It's a clear pattern of repeated behavior. For whatever reason, many top kids aren't interested in playing for him. He doesn't excite them for whatever reason. What you're saying is Allen, Monk, and Goodwin all would have left anyway even if Nolan in his prime were the coach. I don't buy that at all. The coach who is recruiting them makes a big difference.

Secondly, you can't compare a kid from Texas to an Arkansas kid. Because, Arkansas is like Nebraska, it's a one-school state. Turning your nose at Arkansas is not even close to a Texas kid going out of state. There are over a dozen D-1 colleges in Texas alone so it's not the same dynamic as growing up an Arkansas kid.

Hogimus Prime

Nolan had several instate kids leave to go somewhere else.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 12, 2017, 01:50:11 pm
This isn't true.

First, the coach absolutely makes a difference. Nolan didn't let Corliss or Joe Johnson get away. I don't believe that was a coincidence, or they were just 'all Hog'. Corliss could have went anywhere and it came down to Knight and Indiana and John Thompson and Georgetown. Nolan convinced him to stay home.

It's not one guy with Mike. It's a clear pattern of repeated behavior. For whatever reason, many top kids aren't interested in playing for him. He doesn't excite them for whatever reason. What you're saying is Allen, Monk, and Goodwin all would have left anyway even if Nolan in his prime were the coach. I don't buy that at all. The coach who is recruiting them makes a big difference.

Secondly, you can't compare a kid from Texas to an Arkansas kid. Because, Arkansas is like Nebraska, it's a one-school state. Turning your nose at Arkansas is not even close to a Texas kid going out of state. There are over a dozen D-1 colleges in Texas alone so it's not the same dynamic as growing up an Arkansas kid.

I can tell you for certain Allen NEVER wanted to be a Razorback. Can't say for sure about Monk or Goodwin. Goodwin never indicated he was truly was considering Arkansas especially once Kentucky showed interest. If he wanted to be a Hog he could have committed before we hired Mike. Just like adults that leave Arkansas in the belief there is something better out of state, kids can have the same beliefs. Arkansas has lost good athletes to other school from time to time. I find solace in the vast majority of the time at least they went to BETTER programs. Nobody should fault anyone for trying to achieve the best!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 12, 2017, 01:58:09 pm
A few, yea, and they were all in the later years when many felt he had lost the fire for recruiting.
There was the 'rift' with the Parkview coach that let a few guys like Quincy Lewis go elsewhere.
But from 1985-95 I don't recall anyone getting away.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 12, 2017, 02:02:21 pm
I can tell you for certain Allen NEVER wanted to be a Razorback. Can't say for sure about Monk or Goodwin. Goodwin never indicated he was truly was considering Arkansas especially once Kentucky showed interest. If he wanted to be a Hog he could have committed before we hired Mike. Just like adults that leave Arkansas in the belief there is something better out of state, kids can have the same beliefs. Arkansas has lost good athletes to other school from time to time. I find solace in the vast majority of the time at least they went to BETTER programs. Nobody should fault anyone for trying to achieve the best!
If it were just Archie Goodwin, I would have hardly batted an eye.
Because I know and agree there are occasionally kids who want to go out-of-state.
But when it's Goodwin, Monk, and Allen combined that makes it a different story. Clearly there is now a pattern and therefore you have to look for other explanations.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 12, 2017, 02:44:10 pm
If it were just Archie Goodwin, I would have hardly batted an eye.
Because I know and agree there are occasionally kids who want to go out-of-state.
But when it's Goodwin, Monk, and Allen combined that makes it a different story. Clearly there is now a pattern and therefore you have to look for other explanations.

We KNOW what the pattern is...the kids wanted to play for bigger and better programs. Arkansas is producing more basketball talent than when Nolan was here. So therefore the basketball elite will continue to come in and try to swoop one or two. Until we get back to the sweet 16's and final fours we will lose some. Unless we can get a statement from recruits we lost saying that Mike was problem....it's sour grapes!

hogsanity

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 12, 2017, 01:58:09 pm

When you are going out of state and getting the likes of Day, Mayberry, Miller, Huery, McDaniel, Bradley, Robinson, Wilson, Credit, Beck, Stewart, & Wallace, just to name a dozen, you can do that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 12, 2017, 03:14:06 pm
We KNOW what the pattern is...the kids wanted to play for bigger and better programs. Arkansas is producing more basketball talent than when Nolan was here. So therefore the basketball elite will continue to come in and try to swoop one or two. Until we get back to the sweet 16's and final fours we will lose some. Unless we can get a statement from recruits we lost saying that Mike was problem....it's sour grapes!
Come now....you REALLY believe they're going to put out a statement saying that?
They don't have to, anyway.
Their actions are making a statement.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 12, 2017, 04:05:57 pm
Come now....you REALLY believe they're going to put out a statement saying that?
They don't have to, anyway.
Their actions are making a statement.

Not suggesting they point blank say "I Hate Mike". But you cannot assume that because they didn't come here that it's because of Mike. You would think that even years after the recruiting process that at least one person would say something that could be seen as negative about Mike's approach to recruiting.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 12, 2017, 02:41:55 pm
A few, yea, and they were all in the later years when many felt he had lost the fire for recruiting.
There was the 'rift' with the Parkview coach that let a few guys like Quincy Lewis go elsewhere.
But from 1985-95 I don't recall anyone getting away.

Richard Scott from LR Central. Started at Kansas on a Final Four team. In fact, Richard Scott leaving helped Quincy later decide he could leave.

Prior to 1995 (in the NR years) Dion Cross left but he wasn't recruited by Arkansas. Just Stanford. And Derek Fisher was obviously undervalued by everyone considering UALR was able to sign him and yet he developed and won 6 NBA rings. His older brother, whose name escapes me, went to Murray State or Tennessee State and played in the NBA as well.

Again, as someone points out later, when you're getting good enough, comparable or better talent elsewhere like Memphis, it doesn't matter if a player here or there leaves. And I heard it straight from Nolan's mouth that in a lot  of cases with in-state guys, he felt, some highly touted guys were just happy to have Arkansas on their chests. And he readily admitted and we all knew plenty of examples of Arkansas natives who weren't heavily recruited, grew up at Juco or wherever, ended up at Texas A&M or wherever, and would have their career nights over and over against the Hogs, but you still knew what day-in and day-out, they were just at best barely playing if they were on Nolan's Hogs.

Now, if you're losing first-round draft picks or All-SEC first team guards and not recruiting comparable from out of state, like the past 3 years, that's not good.

Thank goodness Corliss stayed in state. Joe Johnson as well.

Just hypothetically: If Arkansas was having to fight off the big boys (i.e. Kentucky, Duke, UNC) for any of the current crop of in-state talent, would they be choosing to stay here?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 12, 2017, 04:28:23 pm
Not suggesting they point blank say "I Hate Mike". But you cannot assume that because they didn't come here that it's because of Mike. You would think that even years after the recruiting process that at least one person would say something that could be seen as negative about Mike's approach to recruiting.

I'm certain that the people who were in KeVaughn's ear the most, outside of the NLR high school team, were anti-Mike, anti his supposed "style," and Arkansas from the get-go.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HOGINTENNESSEE

Fishers brother played at Middle Tennessee State which is different from Tennessee State. Duane Washington

Arkansas has shown some interest in his son Duane Washington JR who lives in Michigan

ArkansasI

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 12, 2017, 05:41:23 pm
I'm certain that the people who were in KeVaughn's ear the most, outside of the NLR high school team, were anti-Mike, anti his supposed "style," and Arkansas from the get-go.
Jim,

You're hitting the issues that interest me most. A few posts above you mention the fortune we seemingly have that we are not competing against traditional powers for most of our current crop.

Yikes!  Really don't want to go there...

And in the quote above you mention the Mike naysayers.  I believe these people have truly impacted Mike's recruiting - adversely. Who are they?  Why do they care? Why the Mike hate? Why do these kids listen?  And, finally, why can't Mike seem to recruit past these bad vibes?

Mike has a fine record. Why can't he sell it?  The man is living the dream.  Not one day out of work. He's had an exciting career. He ought to be filled with successful enthusiasm.

I still can't get over the posts that insist Kentucky/Florida/wherever have more to offer than Arkansas. So-called better programs...  Those fans are missing the objective truth. They've bought the kool-aid. I know Cal is a great coach, but what did he do for Archie, the Harrison twins, etc.? How hard is it to explain to elite players that they are elite wherever they play?

Do they believe Mike is going to screw up their game?  Based on what?

The Hogfather

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 12, 2017, 10:31:45 pm
Why do they care? Why the Mike hate? Why do these kids listen?

Ignorance, cheating by other teams, inflated self worth, ideas of grandeur, idea that they are better than Arkansas, falsehoods about Anderson not being able to "make" lottery picks, brothers trying to become agents selling bills of goods, leftover racial talk, stature of the program, Curse of Nolan.  In that order.  Then Mike.

BannerMountainMan

I'm gonna twist it up and say Mike was the one who recruited all of Nolans players back in the day. Heard that it was true
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HognitiveDissonance

July 13, 2017, 09:44:14 am #316 Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:25:08 pm by HognitiveDissonance
Quote from: ArkansasI on July 12, 2017, 10:31:45 pm
Jim,

You're hitting the issues that interest me most. A few posts above you mention the fortune we seemingly have that we are not competing against traditional powers for most of our current crop.

Yikes!  Really don't want to go there...

And in the quote above you mention the Mike naysayers.  I believe these people have truly impacted Mike's recruiting - adversely. Who are they?  Why do they care? Why the Mike hate? Why do these kids listen?  And, finally, why can't Mike seem to recruit past these bad vibes?

Mike has a fine record. Why can't he sell it?  The man is living the dream.  Not one day out of work. He's had an exciting career. He ought to be filled with successful enthusiasm.

I still can't get over the posts that insist Kentucky/Florida/wherever have more to offer than Arkansas. So-called better programs...  Those fans are missing the objective truth. They've bought the kool-aid. I know Cal is a great coach, but what did he do for Archie, the Harrison twins, etc.? How hard is it to explain to elite players that they are elite wherever they play?

Do they believe Mike is going to screw up their game?  Based on what?
It's 'charm'.
Mike doesn't have it.
It's as simple as he doesn't excite anyone.
You can say guys like Calipari and Stan Heath are full of doo-doo. But recruiting is a just a massive sales pitch.
'Come play for me...let me show you all the wonderful things I can do for you.'
It's a con job. Isn't that what sales is? It's the art of persuasiveness. Some have it, some don't.
In some ways, Anderson not being full of doo-doo is a compliment. Because he is a solid individual. A guy you would want to know, befriend, and be your neighbor.
It just so happens that this 'sales pitch' is a big part of your job.
I am NOT saying that all good recruiters are full of doo-doo. Some are, some aren't.
I think Calipari is greasy too. Not implying like most that he cheats like crazy, I don't know. I just know he could sell ice to eskimos. He's got the gift. Clearly, he has the gift. When I listen to him for a while, I become enchanted too. I'm thinking, 'this guy knows what he's doing, knows where he's going, is confident in what he's doing, and I want to hear more'. So if a middle-aged guy like me is being persuaded like that, what the heck do you think these kids are thinking?
Nolan in his prime was not a sales guy like Calipari, but he did create a dynamic in his program and cult of personality that made recruits interested in him and what he had to offer. For a while, all the top recruits were listening to what he had to say.

Anderson doesn't have this gift. It's not one of his talents.

I think it's about as simple as that. Just my opinion.

JayHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 13, 2017, 01:04:29 am
I'm gonna twist it up and say Mike was the one who recruited all of Nolans players back in the day. Heard that it was true

Scott Edgar was a big recruiter for us back then.

daprospecta

From what I'm hearing, Mike runs a clean program.  Blue Chip recruits are getting paid whether you want to believe it or not.  I think the fact that Perry's current teammates are going to Arkansas is what swayed him in the beginning.  Money talks. Not saying that is the case with Perry because I lost my mother around his age and seeing them sick can be tough.  I can understand wanting to be close. With that being said........money talks.

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 13, 2017, 09:44:14 am
It's 'charm'.
Mike doesn't have it.
It's as simple as he doesn't excite anyone.
You can say guys like Calipari and Stan Heath are full of doo-doo. But recruiting is a just a massive sales pitch.
'Come play for me...let me show you all the wonderful things I can do for you.'
It's a con job. Isn't that what sales is? It's the art of persuasiveness. Some have it, some don't.
In some ways, Anderson not being full of doo-doo is a compliment. Because he is a solid individual. A guy you would want to know, befriend, and be your neighbor.
It just so happens that this 'sales pitch' is a big part of your job.
I am NOT saying that all good recruiters are full of doo-doo. Some are, some aren't.
I think Calipari is greasy too. Not implying like most that he cheats like crazy, I don't know. I just know he could sell ice to eskimos. He's got the gift. Clearly, he has the gift. When I listen to him for a while, I become enchanted too. I'm thinking, 'this guy knows what he's doing, knows where he's going, is confident in what he's doing, and I want to hear more'. So if a middle-aged guy like me is being persuaded like that, what the heck do you think these kids are thinking?
Nolan in his prime was not a sales guy like Calipari, but he did create a dynamic in his program and cult of personality that made recruits interested in himi and what he had to offer. For a while, all the top recruits were listening to what he had to say.

Anderson doesn't have this gift. It's not one of his talents.

I think it's about as simple as that. Just my opinion.

So the 2-3 Stars recruits from other states...he charms them but 4-5 star recruits....he can't charm them? Look these kids that are 4-5 star recruits all have been involved in AAU and travel squads for years by the time they commit. They are not as naïve as you think. They know BS when they hear it in the end a lot are looking for the best deal (not necessarily money but money talks....). I mean no kid is going to sign with a coach they don't like but they not signing with a coach because he's a great talker either.

ArkansasI

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 13, 2017, 11:03:15 am
So the 2-3 Stars recruits from other states...he charms them but 4-5 star recruits....he can't charm them? Look these kids that are 4-5 star recruits all have been involved in AAU and travel squads for years by the time they commit. They are not as naïve as you think. They know BS when they hear it in the end a lot are looking for the best deal (not necessarily money but money talks....). I mean no kid is going to sign with a coach they don't like but they not signing with a coach because he's a great talker either.

I think HD hit the nail on its head.  It seems Mike's lack of charisma is his first and last problem. 2-3 star recruits from other states are more likely to be sold on the size of support that the University of Arkansas receives compared with their other suitors.  Those being recruited by programs with similar resources are looking higher for the point of sale.

Perhaps Mike doesn't communicate a pitch that players buy into; or his delivery isn't as likely to move players to commit.  Otherwise, he has the resume' that should reel them in.

It has to help when men like Fitz Hill throw their support behind Mike.  Regardless of whether Perry returns to the fold, gaining commitments from the Arkansans that have been targeted sends a solid signal to the rest of the country that those who should know best see good things happening in the program.

It was great seeing the Razorbacks enjoy some success down the stretch.  Following a win in the SEC tournament, Mike was interviewed and he was fantastic... smiling, offering credit to his players and our opponent.  His comments were sincere and enduring - not the least bit jackwagon.   I liked that.

I like Mike.  And I want to know that Mike is making his best arguments to sell himself and the Arkansas program.  If he can't, then that's a problem.  There have been times that I have been left believing that he has not done enough in this area to justify the position he holds.  If I'm wrong, this wouldn't be the first time...

GO GET 'EM MIKE!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JayHog on July 13, 2017, 10:48:03 am
Scott Edgar was a big recruiter for us back then.

Myth. Edgar was gone by 90-91.

Our best recruiting was after that.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 12, 2017, 01:50:11 pm
This isn't true.

What's not true is your Corliss story. Always was Hog bound just like Portis. Even gave Nolan a commitment well before hi sr season.

The original triplets weren't highly recruited , certainly not by the Kentucky and Kansas's of their era.

You are in the stone age in regards to recruiting these days. Goodwin was mostly recruited by Pelphrey. They did all they could to get Monk and Allen never wanted to come to Arkansas just like Jimmie Oliver an in stare kid who went to Purdue and played in the NBA..........while Nolan was coach.

Ever hear of Keith Lee and Michael Cage. Two of the greatest in state players and they basically gave Sutton the middle finger as they headed out of the state and played in the NBA.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 13, 2017, 07:36:49 pm
What's not true is your Corliss story. Always was Hog bound just like Portis. Even gave Nolan a commitment well before hi sr season.

The original triplets weren't highly recruited , certainly not by the Kentucky and Kansas's of their era.

You are in the stone age in regards to recruiting these days. Goodwin was mostly recruited by Pelphrey. They did all they could to get Monk and Allen never wanted to come to Arkansas just like Jimmie Oliver an in stare kid who went to Purdue and played in the NBA..........while Nolan was coach.

Ever hear of Keith Lee and Michael Cage. Two of the greatest in state players and they basically gave Sutton the middle finger as they headed out of the state and played in the NBA.

Exactly!

HogFoo

Saw this tweeted out this morning.

http://elevatehoops.com/portfolio/reggie-perry-speaks-on-decommitment-programs-that-have-reached-out/

July 14, 2017

By: Julius Kim

Spartanburg, SC – Class of 2018 forward Reggie Perry had a solid morning outing at the Adidas Uprising against Indiana Elite. The 6-foot-9 Georgia native showed his ability to put the ball on the floor, rebound on both ends, and his aggressiveness inside. The five-star product spoke about his recent decision to decommit from Arkansas and the latest surrounding his recruitment.

"Really, I just wanted to be closer to home," he said. "It's always family first so that's why I decided to back off a little bit and reconsider," he added.

He quickly touched on how the recruiting process will be different this time around.

"I'm just going to think things through more thoroughly; it's a little tougher; it's a lot of pressure but really it's just the same," he stated. "I'm just going back to the drawing board; square one," added Perry.

The Kansas Jayhawks were one of the first programs to reach out to Perry since his decision. He briefly spoke about what their message has been to him.

"They were just like I fit well in their system and they told me about all of the one and dones they had and asked me if I wanted to be a one and done and I said of course and they said they were going to come out and see me."

The Arkansas Hawks prospect shared his thoughts on Florida State as the Seminoles also reached out to him as well.

"I really like their facilities, the coaching staff, great players would be around me if I went there."
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

Doesn't sound like father's health has anything to do with anything.  It wasn't brought up in that article.  And he even talks about stupid arse kansas???  Funny, I didn't realize that Kansas was closer than Arkansas.  Man, I must have missed that day in geography.     What a croc!   Almost makes it seem like he's only just stepping back to look at other schools. I guess if ya reached and wanted to be optimistic,  ya could say that Arkansas could still be a possibility since he is considering kansas? But, I highly doubt it.  He's gonna probably end up at kansas, or kebtucky, or duke or which ever school like that that he thinks would be better than Arkansas.   Man!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

azhog10

Definitely interesting on many levels. Says he wants to stay closer to home, says he just wanted to take some time and step back and think it all through. Almost made it seem as though Arkansas isn't out of the picture. Then states the part about Kansas and Florida State. Hopefully the staff stays on him and maybe once he thinks it all through he still wants to be here.

I think being close to home may weigh on his decision some, but it doesn't appear as though dad's health is the absolute deciding factor......

HawgAdvocate

You are in the stone age in regards to recruiting these days. Goodwin was mostly recruited by Pelphrey.

Coach A and his same staff at Mizzou had been recruiting Goodwin as long as anyone else had.

June, 2011 - "Kentucky, UConn, Baylor, Memphis, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee ... all the same schools that have been there from the start," Goodwin said. (http://247sports.com/Article/Archie-Goodwin-isnt-in-a-hurry-to-make-his-recruiting-decision-31481)

But come September 2011, Archie had cut Missouri and Coach A because "the Arkansas native eliminated Missouri and Texas because his relationship with their head coaches wasn't satisfactory." (https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/elite-recruit-eliminates-baylor-because-he-doesnt-like-its-colors?urn=ncaab,wp4726)
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HogFoo on July 14, 2017, 09:15:31 am
Doesn't sound like father's health has anything to do with anything.  It wasn't brought up in that article.  And he even talks about stupid arse kansas???  Funny, I didn't realize that Kansas was closer than Arkansas.  Man, I must have missed that day in geography.     What a croc!   Almost makes it seem like he's only just stepping back to look at other schools. I guess if ya reached and wanted to be optimistic,  ya could say that Arkansas could still be a possibility since he is considering kansas? But, I highly doubt it.  He's gonna probably end up at kansas, or kebtucky, or duke or which ever school like that that he thinks would be better than Arkansas.   Man!

Maybe our staff just hasn't received Perry's paperwork from the Congo...smh. ;)

Shout out to Ted Kapita, sophomore at NC State. Typical Arkansas. So close, yet so far away.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

King Kong

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 14, 2017, 10:45:23 am

Shout out to Ted Kapita, sophomore at NC State. Typical Arkansas. So close, yet so far away.

Sophomore at NC State? You aren't as sharp as you used to be

PorkRinds

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 14, 2017, 10:45:23 am

Uh...
https://www.backingthepack.com/nc-state-basketball/2017/5/18/15658922/ted-kapita-nba-draft-nc-state-basketball

zebradynasty

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 14, 2017, 10:44:30 am
Coach A and his same staff at Mizzou had been recruiting Goodwin as long as anyone else had.

June, 2011 - "Kentucky, UConn, Baylor, Memphis, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee ... all the same schools that have been there from the start," Goodwin said. (http://247sports.com/Article/Archie-Goodwin-isnt-in-a-hurry-to-make-his-recruiting-decision-31481)

But come September 2011, Archie had cut Missouri and Coach A because "the Arkansas native eliminated Missouri and Texas because his relationship with their head coaches wasn't satisfactory." (https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/elite-recruit-eliminates-baylor-because-he-doesnt-like-its-colors?urn=ncaab,wp4726)

Time line is off Mike was hired in March 23, 2011. This article was written September 9, 2011. So if he was referring to MA when he said he didn't have a good relationship with the coaches at Missouri...MA wasn't there. Also the article never said it was MA. Goodwin at least listen to MA but he never really was coming to Arkansas. Especially, once Kentucky came at him full bore.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: King Kong on July 14, 2017, 11:04:25 am
Sophomore at NC State? You aren't as sharp as you used to be

Yeah, I'm burned out on college basketball. Too much mediocrity at Bud Walton, for too long. I saw he played one year, but didn't care enough to see that he already left.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 14, 2017, 11:39:40 am
Time line is off Mike was hired in March 23, 2011. This article was written September 9, 2011. So if he was referring to MA when he said he didn't have a good relationship with the coaches at Missouri...MA wasn't there. Also the article never said it was MA. Goodwin at least listen to MA but he never really was coming to Arkansas. Especially, once Kentucky came at him full bore.

Fair points. That's what I get for not giving a flip anymore. Carry on.

azhog10

Look who's back, back again.....HA back, tell a friend.

Like clock work.

LRHawg

I said it before and I'll say it again. Razorback recruiting: Invest resources getting on kids early, then pray their recruiting doesn't blow up. After what Perry said when he committed, I hope you all will take what a kid says with a grain of salt and be patient until time for the kids to start putting their pen where their mouth is.

HognitiveDissonance

I'm well aware Corliss committed before the season---after he narrowed the list to Arkansas, Georgetown, and Indiana.
Of course, since he ended up at Arkansas you can say in hindsight that he was Arkansas all along.
I'm sure he was a fan. But I'm also saying he was excited to play for Nolan Richardson. That had a lot to do with it.
Otherwise, he could have been another guy who went elsewhere---in which case if that happened today like Monk, Goodwin, and Allen the narrative would be 'he was never interested in coming here'.

Spin it however you want. I don't know why it's so hard to just acknowledge that different guys have different skills, and some just ain't that great at recruiting.

This is how I would rank the last five coaches ON RECRUITING ABILITY ALONE, looking at their body of recruiting work while they were at Arkansas
1)Nolan Richardson
2)Stan Heath
3)John Pelphrey
4)Eddie Sutton
5)Mike Anderson

Those last two guys have more in common that you might think. Neither was known for recruiting prowess and relied a lot on jucos and transfers. (Alvin Robertson, Darrell Walker, Joe Kleine, William Mills, etc).

On OVERALL COACHING (includes all facets of coaching, mainly results)
1)Nolan Richardson
2)Eddie Sutton
3)Mike Anderson
4)Stan Heath
5)John Pelphrey

TNhawgfan

Listening to Perry talk about Kansas' sales pitch, i guaran-damn-tee you schools like kansas and Kentucky are bringing up that mike has never had a one and done. You can almost hear calipari now, "i have lottery picks every year, Mike's never had one."
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

zebradynasty

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 14, 2017, 02:39:34 pm
I'm well aware Corliss committed before the season---after he narrowed the list to Arkansas, Georgetown, and Indiana.
Of course, since he ended up at Arkansas you can say in hindsight that he was Arkansas all along.
I'm sure he was a fan. But I'm also saying he was excited to play for Nolan Richardson. That had a lot to do with it.
Otherwise, he could have been another guy who went elsewhere---in which case if that happened today like Monk, Goodwin, and Allen the narrative would be 'he was never interested in coming here'.

Spin it however you want. I don't know why it's so hard to just acknowledge that different guys have different skills, and some just ain't that great at recruiting.

This is how I would rank the last five coaches ON RECRUITING ABILITY ALONE, looking at their body of recruiting work while they were at Arkansas
1)Nolan Richardson
2)Stan Heath
3)John Pelphrey
4)Eddie Sutton
5)Mike Anderson

Those last two guys have more in common that you might think. Neither was known for recruiting prowess and relied a lot on jucos and transfers. (Alvin Robertson, Darrell Walker, Joe Kleine, William Mills, etc).

On OVERALL COACHING (includes all facets of coaching, mainly results)
1)Nolan Richardson
2)Eddie Sutton
3)Mike Anderson
4)Stan Heath
5)John Pelphrey

It's not spin! Corliss told the whole world he wanted to be hog growing up! You never heard Goodwin, Allen or Monk come close to saying that... L they never even hinted that Arkansas was their first choice let alone dream school. Not saying Corliss was an easy get for Nolan but the kid wanted to be a hog FIRST. This is not speculation, hindsight or rumor...Based purely on the kids actions Goodwin, Allen and Monk left because they believed they were going to a better place had nothing to do with the coach here. There is a slim chance I am wrong about Goodwin and Monk. I would bet the farm on Allen it had nothing to do with Mike.

I don't think Stan Heath was as great of a recruiter as everyone thinks and he most certainly was not/is not a good coach. The guy has got fired from his last two jobs and barely won 50% of games for his entire career. Take MA over him any day!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 14, 2017, 02:45:38 pm
Listening to Perry talk about Kansas' sales pitch, i guaran-damn-tee you schools like kansas and Kentucky are bringing up that mike has never had a one and done. You can almost hear calipari now, "i have lottery picks every year, Mike's never had one."

Also in a quote Perry brings up Kansas has the right fit for him system wise. Whether it reality or not is up for debate, but there is a perception that MA's system doesn't get players ready or the NBA.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

King Kong

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 14, 2017, 04:19:46 pm
Also in a quote Perry brings up Kansas has the right fit for him system wise. Whether it reality or not is up for debate, but there is a perception that MA's system doesn't get players ready or the NBA.

Well the perception is you can't be a one and done at Arkansas

But this narrative has been made possible by Goodwin and Monk going elsewhere.
Or by BJ Young not going pro after his Freshman year. When he was on most mock drafts as a late first/second round pick

ArkansasI

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 14, 2017, 03:08:59 pm
It's not spin! Corliss told the whole world he wanted to be hog growing up! You never heard Goodwin, Allen or Monk come close to saying that... L they never even hinted that Arkansas was their first choice let alone dream school. Not saying Corliss was an easy get for Nolan but the kid wanted to be a hog FIRST. This is not speculation, hindsight or rumor...Based purely on the kids actions Goodwin, Allen and Monk left because they believed they were going to a better place had nothing to do with the coach here. There is a slim chance I am wrong about Goodwin and Monk. I would bet the farm on Allen it had nothing to do with Mike.

I don't think Stan Heath was as great of a recruiter as everyone thinks and he most certainly was not/is not a good coach. The guy has got fired from his last two jobs and barely won 50% of games for his entire career. Take MA over him any day!
Stop refusing to see the obvious.

These elite players don't reveal themselves as seniors. We watch them growing for years.  Archie and Malik were celebrities in Arkansas since they were middle schoolers. Kentucky fans became familiar with these guys about a half hour before they committed.

Why do so many of us seem unable to appreciate the value of relationships?  Mike knew both of these guys for years. He started recruiting Archie from Mizzou and should have been able to strengthen whatever he started in Columbia when he got called home to Fayetteville.

Think about how Archie's endorsement may have kick-started Mike's return to the Hill?  Instead, Archie became little more than a memory in Kentucky basketball. You cannot say Archie benefitted in any way from choosing the Cats. Zero impact professionally.

We're told Mike invested a ton of time and effort in Malik and his family. We know Mike favored Marcus and took his entire Razorback basketball team to watch Malik play in high school.

At what point does Mike's time with a player become meaningful? How can such attention not be returned?

This is the problem isn't it?  -  How many of us could have a multi year relationship with someone, with complete knowledge and understanding of the importance of your relationship to that person - not to mention your home state, and with ease - borderline ecstasy, decide to partner with that someone's greatest nemesis to the heartbreak of your home state?

The frustration has been coupled with Mike's somewhat dumbfounded responses when this has occurred. We find a transfer from Jackleg State or a high school kid that is either a late qualifier or has few options. How can Mike seemingly have no sense what these guys are thinking?  Worse, how can 3-4 years of recruiting a kid mean so little to the player that he leaves without it appearing to have been a tough decision?

Don't tell me the kids don't get it. Malik especially...  This is some cold blooded darn. And Mike's record deserves respect. How can he be so unconvincing?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: King Kong on July 14, 2017, 04:43:20 pm
Well the perception is you can't be a one and done at Arkansas

But this narrative has been made possible by Goodwin and Monk going elsewhere.
Or by BJ Young not going pro after his Freshman year. When he was on most mock drafts as a late first/second round pick

MA has only had two first round picks in his career. I'm sure whoever got in his ear before decommiting told him that MA's system doesn't get guys ready or even too the NBA. That's why Monk and Goodwin said no thanks.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hamARchy in the USA

The mystery is why anyone would see a mystery here.  MA is a lackluster coach with a lackluster career record.  They don't hang banners for never having had a losing season.

Meanwhile ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2600224-bobby-portis-still-waiting-but-ready-for-opportunity-with-chicago-bulls

"It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me."

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on July 14, 2017, 10:46:07 pm
The mystery is why anyone would see a mystery here.  MA is a lackluster coach with a lackluster career record.  They don't hang banners for never having had a losing season.

Meanwhile ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2600224-bobby-portis-still-waiting-but-ready-for-opportunity-with-chicago-bulls

"It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me."

Interesting quote. Maybe MA would have more luck recruiting if he ran a different more pro style system.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 14, 2017, 08:48:29 pm
Stop refusing to see the obvious.

These elite players don't reveal themselves as seniors. We watch them growing for years.  Archie and Malik were celebrities in Arkansas since they were middle schoolers. Kentucky fans became familiar with these guys about a half hour before they committed.

Why do so many of us seem unable to appreciate the value of relationships?  Mike knew both of these guys for years. He started recruiting Archie from Mizzou and should have been able to strengthen whatever he started in Columbia when he got called home to Fayetteville.

Think about how Archie's endorsement may have kick-started Mike's return to the Hill?  Instead, Archie became little more than a memory in Kentucky basketball. You cannot say Archie benefitted in any way from choosing the Cats. Zero impact professionally.

We're told Mike invested a ton of time and effort in Malik and his family. We know Mike favored Marcus and took his entire Razorback basketball team to watch Malik play in high school.

At what point does Mike's time with a player become meaningful? How can such attention not be returned?

This is the problem isn't it?  -  How many of us could have a multi year relationship with someone, with complete knowledge and understanding of the importance of your relationship to that person - not to mention your home state, and with ease - borderline ecstasy, decide to partner with that someone's greatest nemesis to the heartbreak of your home state?

The frustration has been coupled with Mike's somewhat dumbfounded responses when this has occurred. We find a transfer from Jackleg State or a high school kid that is either a late qualifier or has few options. How can Mike seemingly have no sense what these guys are thinking?  Worse, how can 3-4 years of recruiting a kid mean so little to the player that he leaves without it appearing to have been a tough decision?

Don't tell me the kids don't get it. Malik especially...  This is some cold blooded darn. And Mike's record deserves respect. How can he be so unconvincing?

It's much easier to blame it on Mike...I know that's the easy way. But the truth is simple. These kids have been playing AAU they see kids on draft day many of whom they know personally or played against. A lot went to Kentucky the winningest college basketball program of all time and lately the whole starting 5 for KY been going in the first round. That kind of money is guaranteed immediately lifting whole family's out of poverty. Compare that with staying at Arkansas and becoming an Arkansas legend. You can still be drafted but it may not be high (that's what the think reality players are drafted on if the can play PERIOD). So when KY comes a calling kids listen it's a business decision and honestly a good one. Hey it's not like Arkansas lost first round draft picks to Auburn! Kentucky is good there is no arguing that. If a kid decided being a hometown hero here that's a good decision also but it may not be the best business decision. I will always believe until I hear otherwise from them Goodwin and Monk (already know Allen) their decision had nothing to do with Mike...it was just business.   

zebradynasty

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 14, 2017, 11:13:24 pm
Interesting quote. Maybe MA would have more luck recruiting if he ran a different more pro style system.

Pro-style? Explain to me what that is? Had Bobby went to KY they would have done the same thing with him as Arkansas. How I know this? No good coach runs an offense through a player that doesn't have the skill set to match it. No they would have done the same as thing as MA he still would struggle his first year in the NBA just like nearly all of Kentucky's one and dones have. The only difference in KY he probably would not have played center. But Arkansas has a long history of letting it's big men play out on the floor IF they had the skills. KY isn't running any more NBA style offense than Arkansas nor does Gonzaga, Wake Forrest, Michgan...all the European players that get drafted early. Watch a NBA game! Better yet watch a summer league game it's hard to watch how much standing around not sure where to go. Very few get it their first year but somehow Cal's offense get's them ready in one season...really ???

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

FineAsSwine

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 15, 2017, 06:34:03 am
Impossible! Lexington is too far from his sick dad. Excuse me while i go vomit

Probably ends up at KY Jelly with Marcus as his agent.
Hogs up! Covid down!