Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

We're all disappointed that Perry changed his mind. But I suspect very few of us are surprised.

This recruit hasn't only walked away from a relationship with Mike, but is also walking away from a group of teammates that had plans of playing together in college. What in the world keeps high profile players from playing for Mike?  Even the best of ties were insufficient to get this player to the Hill.

Hopefully, the Hogs will be able to build off the energy the Arkansas players will bring.

The real Hogules

Quote from: RealHog on July 06, 2017, 09:52:55 pm
Of course. Pretty soon AR will be in recruiting battles with La Tech as we are afterthoughts to out of state kids.

Is there ANYTHING that you don't whine about????
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: HogFoo on July 07, 2017, 02:52:19 pm
Even without Perry this is still a top10 class.
How much money you have to wager? Whatever it is, I call
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: mizzouman on July 06, 2017, 03:13:30 pm
I have an entire history of Self and his ways of 'doing business' at ku.  Sad story.
Coming from a bitter rival in Mizzou, I'm not sure that carries a lot of weight.

HognitiveDissonance

Has FCJ weighed in?
For several years it's always been 'the recruits coming in, the recruits lined up...' etc etc etc
When people would comment that you don't base sole opinion on recruits 2-3 years away, they were shouted down as haters.
It's common sense: recruits can a)get injured b)sign somewhere else c)not qualify academically d)other
Any number of things can happen in a 2-3 year time span.

Me, my thoughts have always been I needed both. I was excited about recruits, but I also needed something right now to make me feel good about the direction. The ending of this season provided that, a solid finish in the 2nd round and strong SECT.

Anyone basing their thoughts on the whims of recruits is crazy. That is a shaky foundation at best, and this Perry thing is Exhibit A.

I give 5% chance he re-commits to UA, so there is still slim hope.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 08, 2017, 12:08:33 pm
Has FCJ weighed in?
For several years it's always been 'the recruits coming in, the recruits lined up...' etc etc etc
When people would comment that you don't base sole opinion on recruits 2-3 years away, they were shouted down as haters.
It's common sense: recruits can a)get injured b)sign somewhere else c)not qualify academically d)other
Any number of things can happen in a 2-3 year time span.

Me, my thoughts have always been I needed both. I was excited about recruits, but I also needed something right now to make me feel good about the direction. The ending of this season provided that, a solid finish in the 2nd round and strong SECT.

Anyone basing their thoughts on the whims of recruits is crazy. That is a shaky foundation at best, and this Perry thing is Exhibit A.

I give 5% chance he re-commits to UA, so there is still slim hope.

I give 95% chance that your percentages are 100% fabricated.

Sivad

"What difference does it make?"
Well, there's still a chicken dish on the menu.

Danny J

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 06, 2017, 10:14:43 am
You aren't paying attention if you think we are neutral. 

Look at the last two years, look at who we have coming back and coming in.  That is far from neutral.  We still have PLENTY of time to find a good replacement for perry and believe it or not, a one and done hurts us at this point in building back the program.  We need 2-4 year players.
I agree 100%...wouldn't mind a one and done that makes an immediate impact but I believe the style D and motion offense we run works better when you have guys that have experience together. It's rough to hear he is looking elsewhere but at least we have been given plenty of time to find a solid replacement

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 07, 2017, 10:34:35 pm
We're all disappointed that Perry changed his mind. But I suspect very few of us are surprised.

This recruit hasn't only walked away from a relationship with Mike, but is also walking away from a group of teammates that had plans of playing together in college. What in the world keeps high profile players from playing for Mike?  Even the best of ties were insufficient to get this player to the Hill.

Hopefully, the Hogs will be able to build off the energy the Arkansas players will bring.

What part of his dad is ill that you can't understand?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Sivad on July 08, 2017, 02:35:46 pm
"What difference does it make?"
Well, there's still a chicken dish on the menu.

Or those cold cut steaks they gave KeVaughn Allen

TNhawgfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 08, 2017, 05:52:08 pm
What part of his dad is ill that you can't understand?
Nothing. It's why that means he has to decommit from the U of A when he's still part of a travel team that tours the globe I'm not getting
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

azhog10

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 09, 2017, 08:28:56 am
Nothing. It's why that means he has to decommit from the U of A when he's still part of a travel team that tours the globe I'm not getting
Travel team is a summer. His college choice is a full year process and maybe longer. The two aren't comparable.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 08, 2017, 12:29:12 pm
I give 95% chance that your percentages are 100% fabricated.
Nice. strong take.

Since FCJ hasn't chimed in, maybe you would like to take a shot at reminding us again how smart it is to base hopes and dreams on recruits 2-3 years down the road. Wanna give it a shot?

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on July 09, 2017, 11:51:28 am
Travel team is a summer. His college choice is a full year process and maybe longer. The two aren't comparable.

So his dad is too ill for RP to move away from home, but not so ill that he can still spend the summer away from home?

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 10, 2017, 09:54:32 am
Nice. strong take.

Since FCJ hasn't chimed in, maybe you would like to take a shot at reminding us again how smart it is to base hopes and dreams on recruits 2-3 years down the road. Wanna give it a shot?

Had to base the hopes and dream on recruits 2 or 3 years away because There were no real big time recruits coming in any sooner.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 10, 2017, 09:54:32 am
Nice. strong take.

Nah, I'm still crunching the numbers on your statistics.

Razorbackers

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 07, 2017, 10:34:35 pm

I think this is a legitimate issue. Monk was in NWA and had stronger ties than any recruit could ever have. Perry's best friends all are coming here. Still can't land them.

While recruiting is OBVIOUSLY on the uptick overall, these very public swing-and-misses just keep throwing fuel on the "Mike can't get it done" fire.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorbackers on July 10, 2017, 10:32:46 am
I think this is a legitimate issue. Monk was in NWA and had stronger ties than any recruit could ever have. Perry's best friends all are coming here. Still can't land them.

While recruiting is OBVIOUSLY on the uptick overall, these very public swing-and-misses just keep throwing fuel on the "Mike can't get it done" fire.

Kid wants to be near for his sick father to be able to see him play in college. Nothing to do with CMA, we had his commitment, until his dad's illness changed the circumstances.

Bad luck for the kid and his family and unfortunate timing for the Hogs, in terms of recruiting. Nothing more.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on July 10, 2017, 02:07:20 pm
TBH, not surprised by this. We're Arkansas, good luck and fortune doesn't shine our way. We don't pull in 5 stars... And if he is serious about his dad (which I HIGHLY question, calling BS) then may be a blessing. He'd be a for sure one and done, and we might possibly be better long run obviously depending on player we get. Having said that, it's a huge blow and doesn't make much sense. Why would he say all of those things about Arkansas being his dream school, decide to play with Hawks teammates, etc and then back off just because he's ranked higher? And if his dad is having problems, wouldn't you want to be around a good support system even more so???

Pretty sure his family is the best support system for him. You certainly can't rely on Hogville.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ArkansasI

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 10, 2017, 12:51:38 pm
Kid wants to be near for his sick father to be able to see him play in college. Nothing to do with CMA, we had his commitment, until his dad's illness changed the circumstances.

Bad luck for the kid and his family and unfortunate timing for the Hogs, in terms of recruiting. Nothing more.
Totally agree.  I want this young man to do whatever is best for his family and himself.  Prayers to his father.

My post above was conferring my belief that I would have been shocked if Reggie had kept his commitment to Arkansas - regardless of his father's condition.  While that will be viewed as a swipe at Mike, it is offered as a mere observation.  Don't read more into it.

Mike has a very respectable resume.  The man was a 17 year assistant to Hall of Famer Nolan Richardson.  Mike left Arkansas under difficult circumstances, got an opportunity in his hometown at UAB, was successful - enough so to parlay that into the Mizzou job, was successful again - and parlayed that into a return "home" to Fayetteville - because he had his choice and chose to be at Arkansas.  Yes, this African-American man dedicated himself to return his African-American family to Northwest Arkansas. 

A fellow could hang his hat on that record with confidence.  One would think that players would see Mike - who we all agree is a good fella - as a guy worth playing for and Fayetteville as a place to come enjoy basketball success.  Mike's teams have been respectable without all-world players.  Perhaps if a couple of all-world guys would play for Arkansas, we'd break back into the national spotlight.

These are logical conclusions.  Yet, this is not what is happening in recruiting.  If we pursue elite national talent I hear nothing of it.  Perhaps we hear nothing of it because elite national talent doesn't consider Mike's overtures.  Whichever, why not?

Why doesn't elite national talent consider Mike's program as a destination?  What are other coaches telling these players that make Creighton, Mississippi State, Xavier... more attractive?  Why can't the same goals be accomplished at Arkansas as Kentucky?

Seriously...  And don't say money.  I refuse to believe every great basketball recruit wants to be part of a cheater.

hogsanity

Lets see where he ends up playing. IF he truly does end up at a school close to his dad, then really no one should say much about it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BannerMountainMan

It will be Florida St. or he recommits
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

PonderinHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 10, 2017, 04:53:59 pm
It will be Florida St. or he recommits
I've seen enough of Reggie (and that ain't much) to know I don't want to see him at another SEC school. 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 10, 2017, 05:05:26 pm
I've seen enough of Reggie (and that ain't much) to know I don't want to see him at another SEC school.
Well Florida St will work for you then or especially recommitting
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

PonderinHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 10, 2017, 05:34:40 pm
Well Florida St will work for you then or especially recommitting
I really want to see him in a Hog uniform and hope that door has not closed.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hogsanity on July 10, 2017, 04:19:02 pm
Lets see where he ends up playing. IF he truly does end up at a school close to his dad, then really no one should say much about it.
That's where I stand. If it's Fla St or somewhere close like that, then all is well.
If it's somewhere else not so close and not Arkansas, then we'll know it was all baloney to get out of his commitment.
Or I could see this scenario too: "My dad is better now, and after further consideration, I feel ____ is a better place for me than Arkansas."
Not giving up hope yet, but like the football TE Luke Ford who also de-committed, you generally don't get them back after they de-commit. We shall see and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

songofthesword

Mike Anderson's long term success is going to ride on his ability to lock down the state of arkansas. as long as he ddoes that, he's going to be fine.  And despite this set back, he's still doing that.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 06, 2017, 02:05:06 pm
So when was there a time that Arkansas signed top 10 classes? EVERY coach that has ever coached here both in football and basketball has stated that recruiting kids here is tough. That's not an excuse it's a fact!
Nolan Richardson signed at least one top 10 class, maybe two.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hoglady on July 06, 2017, 08:19:09 pm
Thanks for posting - I wish I would have listened to "The Buzz" today.
I thought the kid was telling the truth to begin with, saw no reason to make something like that up.
I don't believe Ingram and Fitz Hill are going to lie, either.
Nope, they want him to go to Arkansas more than anyone. They said it themselves.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: RealHog on July 06, 2017, 08:48:26 pm
Well maybe his Dad is really sick, but likely he will continue traveling as usual and playing ball at some blue blood for some other coach who actually knows how to recruit. Time to start getting in to pro ball where technically it's a level playing field. Thunder just signed George, there's some good news!
You need to change your name FakeHog...Just a thought... ;D

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 06, 2017, 09:07:40 pm
Do I think a one and done helps us?  Sure, but they are just going to leave after the one year and when we aren't killing it in recruiting the odds of not having a drastic drop off is minimum.
My point exactly. I'm not sure how much a one and done would really help us at this point. Didn't turn out too well for LSU either. Just saying...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogs33 on July 07, 2017, 11:11:44 am
lol... you guys do realize we almost knocked out the eventual National Champions from the NCAA tourney right? It was an awesome game (except the outcome.) SO what if we lose out on Perry, get over it and move on.
Nope, they forget so quickly. Our program is on the way up anyway you look at it. Perry or no Perry.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 11, 2017, 09:20:19 am
My point exactly. I'm not sure how much a one and done would really help us at this point. Didn't turn out too well for LSU either. Just saying...

I have never been upset when the Hogs lose out on a sure one and done player. For a program that relies on being familiar with the coaches system, playing 8-10 players a game, having a guy here for 1 year has the potential to cause many more problems than it solves.

ArkansasI

Quote from: hogsanity on July 11, 2017, 10:43:30 am
I have never been upset when the Hogs lose out on a sure one and done player. For a program that relies on being familiar with the coaches system, playing 8-10 players a game, having a guy here for 1 year has the potential to cause many more problems than it solves.
What do you say we try having such a player sometime... one time... to prove your thesis?

hogsanity

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 11, 2017, 02:05:30 pm
What do you say we try having such a player sometime... one time... to prove your thesis?

Look, I am no fan of MA, and his record of landing top level instate talent is pretty poor, but that is a different argument than whether having a one and done here or not is good or bad for the program.

If Monk, Goodwin, and possibly Perry were from out of state, no one would think twice about them not coming to play for the Hogs. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 10, 2017, 03:01:58 pm
Why doesn't elite national talent consider Mike's program as a destination?  What are other coaches telling these players that make Creighton, Mississippi State, Xavier... more attractive?  Why can't the same goals be accomplished at Arkansas as Kentucky?

Seriously...  And don't say money.  I refuse to believe every great basketball recruit wants to be part of a cheater.
99.9% your ELITE/BLUE CHIP football and basketball players get paid to play college sports one way or another rather you want to believe it or not.

HogFoo

Quote from: Hogfan991 on July 10, 2017, 07:11:21 pm
[tweet]884436574808801281[/tweet]
oh hell.  well we all know how dirty auburns coach is.  wish we had him! hahaha.. I'm kidding..  I'm guessing that is where he is going.   and that to me is just bs.

ya know, I mentioned it in another thread.  I personally have not seen a tweet or note saying how disappointed he isn't gonna get to be a hog?  I mean, after such a strong letter of "UA is my Kentucky, duke, Kansas etccetccc"  I didn't get the same type of emotion when he 'had to decommit' from the UA because of illness in the family.  I mean, hey, if kids dad is sick, good Lord gonna take care of that.  But, man, it just doesn't smell right still.    oh well.  it is what it is.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

ArkansasI

Quote from: hogsanity on July 11, 2017, 02:31:19 pm
Look, I am no fan of MA, and his record of landing top level instate talent is pretty poor, but that is a different argument than whether having a one and done here or not is good or bad for the program.

If Monk, Goodwin, and possibly Perry were from out of state, no one would think twice about them not coming to play for the Hogs. 
We're both Hog fans, but you're rationalizing all over the place on this...  You originally indicated a one and done guy would not be good for the Arkansas basketball program.  I disagree.  At the very least, I don't know the impact of a one and done on the program because we haven't had any.

Then, you indicated Razorback fans wouldn't know Malik and Archie if they weren't from Arkansas.  What?  I'm suggesting it would be nice to land a one and done player from anywhere.  However, the reason we're so frustrated about recruiting elite players is because Monk and Goodwin are from Arkansas, and chose Kentucky.  And it's really hard for me to watch an Arkansas kid beat the Razorbacks - regardless of how elite the player coming out of high school.

I get so pissed reading fans explaining why they understand that an Arkansas kid would choose to play basketball at Kentucky.  Well, I don't understand.  And I don't understand why kids from other states so quickly abandon home to play at Kentucky, either.

The United States of America is filled with fantastic places.  Different states having different cultures, each having much to brag about.  Great universities abound.  When we criticize other institutions, we are typically revealing our ignorance.

So, let me reveal my ignorance about Kentucky.  Lexington and the area around it are beautiful places.  It's thoroughbred horse country, and bourbon country as well.  Fun, fun stuff.  But these attributes have nothing to do with basketball, and far less to do with attracting 18 year old basketball players.

The exceptionality of Kentucky basketball is reflected in its willingness to do anything to win...  By that I mean cheat.  Sure, they have an amazing history of winning basketball games, but Kentucky cheated under Rupp, Hall, Sutton... We know what Pitino has shown a willingness to do.  God only knows the levels Cal goes in order to get his guys.

The entire state (Louisville, too) is scorched-earth college athletics - their successes coming in tides of corruption.  They have no shame and the media fawns all over them.

If the citizens of Kentucky only cared as much about finding a cure for cancer...

The argument to Malik was easy...  "Malik, stay home and be a hero.  We've known each other for years.  Play for the people that are already invested in you.  Going to Kentucky did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for Archie's career."

Surely everyone is not morally bankrupt.  The trend must be broken.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: HogFoo on July 11, 2017, 03:41:51 pm
oh hell.  well we all know how dirty auburns coach is.  wish we had him! hahaha.. I'm kidding..  I'm guessing that is where he is going.   and that to me is just bs.

ya know, I mentioned it in another thread.  I personally have not seen a tweet or note saying how disappointed he isn't gonna get to be a hog?  I mean, after such a strong letter of "UA is my Kentucky, duke, Kansas etccetccc"  I didn't get the same type of emotion when he 'had to decommit' from the UA because of illness in the family.  I mean, hey, if kids dad is sick, good Lord gonna take care of that.  But, man, it just doesn't smell right still.    oh well.  it is what it is.   

That's another reason I think the kid is full of BS and using Daddy as an excuse. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hamARchy in the USA

Young kids who commit are bound to second guess as they mature and consider their future.  They may have the talent to help a program but some will undoubtedly wonder how much a program can help them.  Bottom line: How many 5* players want to play for a 2* coach ?

Pork Twain

So much butt hurt on here.  I hope you guys dont attack all kids that change their minds this way.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HardingHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2017, 08:29:32 pm
So much butt hurt on here.  I hope you guys dont attack all kids that change their minds this way.

Don't worry, only the good ones get this kind of attention (see Monk, Allen, Hill, Ford, and any other 4/5 star who doesn't choose us in basketball/football)

hogsanity

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 11, 2017, 03:50:33 pm

Then, you indicated Razorback fans wouldn't know Malik and Archie if they weren't from Arkansas.  What?  I'm suggesting it would be nice to land a one and done player from anywhere.  However, the reason we're so frustrated about recruiting elite players is because Monk and Goodwin are from Arkansas, and chose Kentucky.  And it's really hard for me to watch an Arkansas kid beat the Razorbacks - regardless of how elite the player coming out of high school.

No, I said no one would think twice about those guys not coming to Arkansas if they were not from Arkansas. When Duke signs a one and done type from California no one says " well, wonder why he chose Duke over Arkansas ".

And I have said, many times, that Mike's lack of ability to keep the top players in state is troublesome, and speaks to his overall lack of recruiting ability. He can't get those type of players REGARDLESS of where they are from, be it 10 miles from campus or 1,000.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on July 12, 2017, 09:23:07 am
No, I said no one would think twice about those guys not coming to Arkansas if they were not from Arkansas. When Duke signs a one and done type from California no one says " well, wonder why he chose Duke over Arkansas ".

And I have said, many times, that Mike's lack of ability to keep the top players in state is troublesome, and speaks to his overall lack of recruiting ability. He can't get those type of players REGARDLESS of where they are from, be it 10 miles from campus or 1,000.

Who has ever gotten one and dones to Arkansas?

zebradynasty

Why is it so hard to accept that some kids don't grow up wanting to be Razorbacks? Also, why criticize kids for leaving Arkansas to play all the time asking for kids from other states to leave their state and come play here. Saw a segment on the other night where Bumper Pool (football player) from TEXAS said he grew up wanting to be a Razorback. Showed pictures of him as a kid wearing a hog jersey. Is he here because of poor recruiting in Texas? Monk, Goodwin, and Allen never wanted to be a Razorback has nothing to do with the coach. I will say this I do not like how Monk handled his recruiting but in the end he was where he WANTED to be.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 12, 2017, 11:16:52 am
Also, why criticize kids for leaving Arkansas to play all the time asking for kids from other states to leave their state and come play here.

I've said that several times, BUT the only times Hog football or basketball are very good is when they have several good in staters. They are never going to sign enough top out of state talent to makeup for missing out on the top in state guys.

If it were just Goodwin, or just Monk, or just Allen it would be one thing, but when it is just about every top in state player, it does show something is there that makes so many of them not want to play for mike.

ArkansasI

Thanks for the reply.  I think I understood your point - agreed with it...  We agree about Mike's recruiting.

My hope remains that Mike will somehow raise to the challenge of keeping Arkansans home.  Eddie did it.  Nolan did it.  It is not unreasonable for Razorback fans to expect recruits to stay home when all other things are equal - a fine university and first rate facilities in a great college town.

I do not believe Kentucky, Florida or most other state universities offer more to our kids.  If you do, I encourage you to visit those schools and towns and tell me why our players should abandon what we have in Fayetteville in favor of Lexington, Gainesville or wherever.  I feel the same way about football.

I know that some players will want to leave Arkansas just for the sake of leaving Arkansas, but I find it odd that the players that typically leave happen to be the best players in the state.  So what makes these kids believe they are better off elsewhere?  Why is elite talent more susceptible to being lured away?

I've defended Mike's resume.  Are kids being told something that makes them believe Mike can't help them?  Doesn't Mike's record prove that he is capable of developing talent?  Does Mike struggle to bond with recruits?

I'm just frustrated.  A Razorback coach must be able to successfully explain to the in state kids the reasons they should be Razorbacks.  A man being paid $2M+ should be a rare talent capable of picking the low hanging fruit.

Bottom line - it is easier to accept losses at Arkansas if they are suffered with the best players the state produces.  If we can't land the best from Arkansas, how can we expect to go out of state and do any better?

This is not a witch hunt or a criticism of any recruit.  It's a question that deserves answering.  Right now, Mike seems to be keeping the Arkansans home.  This is reason for excitement.

GO HOGS!

hogsanity

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 12, 2017, 12:33:33 pm
Thanks for the reply.  I think I understood your point - agreed with it...  We agree about Mike's recruiting.

My hope remains that Mike will somehow raise to the challenge of keeping Arkansans home.  Eddie did it.  Nolan did it.  It is not unreasonable for Razorback fans to expect recruits to stay home when all other things are equal - a fine university and first rate facilities in a great college town.

I do not believe Kentucky, Florida or most other state universities offer more to our kids.  If you do, I encourage you to visit those schools and towns and tell me why our players should abandon what we have in Fayetteville in favor of Lexington, Gainesville or wherever.  I feel the same way about football.

I know that some players will want to leave Arkansas just for the sake of leaving Arkansas, but I find it odd that the players that typically leave happen to be the best players in the state.  So what makes these kids believe they are better off elsewhere?  Why is elite talent more susceptible to being lured away?

I've defended Mike's resume.  Are kids being told something that makes them believe Mike can't help them?  Doesn't Mike's record prove that he is capable of developing talent?  Does Mike struggle to bond with recruits?

I'm just frustrated.  A Razorback coach must be able to successfully explain to the in state kids the reasons they should be Razorbacks.  A man being paid $2M+ should be a rare talent capable of picking the low hanging fruit.

Bottom line - it is easier to accept losses at Arkansas if they are suffered with the best players the state produces.  If we can't land the best from Arkansas, how can we expect to go out of state and do any better?

This is not a witch hunt or a criticism of any recruit.  It's a question that deserves answering.  Right now, Mike seems to be keeping the Arkansans home.  This is reason for excitement.

GO HOGS!

Having recently been to several schools as my son was looking for a college I can tell you the things you or I think a recruit ( he was a academic recruit I guess you would say, 35 act score gets you that type of attention ) want are actually the things that 17-18 year olds want.

From a basketball standpoint, Ky and FL have a lot more to ffer. Multiple final 4 trips & NC's since the last time the Hogs made any noise in the ncaat. Multiple players in the nba. Thats what these recruits want, a place that will raise their profile to the highest level possible, to be the highest draft pick possible, to make the most $ possible. How many players have been drafted from the UofA into the nba in the last 2 decades?