Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jabberjawls

The way we play defense, the way we play offense, our tournament appearances (or lack of), our record, our recruiting AND losing this kid and OTHER kids are not not the problem.  They are merely symptoms of the problem.

Breems

Quote from: jabberjawls on July 06, 2017, 03:45:41 pm
The way we play defense, the way we play offense, our tournament appearances (or lack of), our record, our recruiting AND losing this kid and OTHER kids are not not the problem.  They are merely symptoms of the problem.

Tournament appearances and recruiting are actually the best they've been in years.

The decommit doesn't change the fact that we gained his attention and had a commit. Believe it or not, we're not the only school to suffer a decommit.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jabberjawls

Quote from: Breems on July 06, 2017, 04:29:09 pm
Tournament appearances and recruiting are actually the best they've been in years.

The decommit doesn't change the fact that we gained his attention and had a commit. Believe it or not, we're not the only school to suffer a decommit.
Its been awesome hasn't it?

Breems

jfred59

Quote from: lynbug on July 06, 2017, 08:39:35 am
You're right. Good point.  I just can't get over the reality that when we do produce a five star...we have such a hard time keeping him in-state.  And yes,, I know Perry was not in-state.....I guess it's not being able to get or keep five stars....except occasionally.

We dont pay well enough.  Nuff said

jfred59

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 06, 2017, 11:04:45 am
I don't think Self or Williams "cheat" in that way you imply. Now, maybe the boosters of Kansas or UNC (if you've every been around that crowd at the NCAA Tournament sites, and not unlike a few Arkansas boosters in the 1990s as well -- and Duke boosters, don't let me forget those) may make it worthwhile to choose their school, but I have more reason to believe from what I've seen that they DON'T play dirty than believe any speculation that they do.

But Ole Roy runs a great academic program doesnt he

GoHogs1091

Not for sure what the uproar is over losing this supposed one-and-done player.

I have only seen 1 one-and-done player who was truly a difference maker, and that was Anthony Davis.

The rest are prima donnas who usually get exposed when they face actual defenses at the collegiate level.

Us losing this player is not going to change anything for us.  Either way we are still an inconsistent middle-of-the pack program.

It pained me to type that last sentence, but truth/reality can hurt.

texas tush hog

Quote from: NashvilleHog on July 06, 2017, 01:19:45 pm
Rumor on one of the Mississippi State boards is that the family recently visited Starkville.  Who knows how it ends up...

If the family moves to Starkville that is believable I'm sure a lot of family might still live there. Only just not Kentucky.

AirWarren

Coach Ingram and fitz hill have both stated on the air today on the buzz that it is indeed a decision based off travel for his ill dad. Coach Ingram is very close to the razorback 5 and he stands by it. Fitz hill, obviously Justice's dad, agrees.

Those two are closer to this kid than any of you morons on here and verified his dad's illness without going into detail. That's good enough for me and it should be for all of you.

Hopefully we stay after him and he follows the other 4. If not. So be it.

hoglady

Quote from: AP85 on July 06, 2017, 07:20:46 pm
Coach Ingram and fitz hill have both stated on the air today on the buzz that it is indeed a decision based off travel for his ill dad. Coach Ingram is very close to the razorback 5 and he stands by it. Fitz hill, obviously Justice's dad, agrees.

Those two are closer to this kid than any of you morons on here and verified his dad's illness without going into detail. That's good enough for me and it should be for all of you.

Thanks for posting - I wish I would have listened to "The Buzz" today.
I thought the kid was telling the truth to begin with, saw no reason to make something like that up.
I don't believe Ingram and Fitz Hill are going to lie, either.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

RealHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 06, 2017, 03:27:43 pm
Well we all have to accept facts...You can say you don't like them but it is what it is. Arkansas is a tough place to recruit.

One of our top 2018 targets Ian Steere committed to Creighton today...Omaha Nebraska. How do we lose out to Creighton and Omaha----Besides apparently out coaches voices being good to catch a nap to while he tries to arrange a visit. Just very little recruiting ability with this staff. The complete whiff in 2015, Monk, Perry. It's just sad really.

RealHog

Well maybe his Dad is really sick, but likely he will continue traveling as usual and playing ball at some blue blood for some other coach who actually knows how to recruit. Time to start getting in to pro ball where technically it's a level playing field. Thunder just signed George, there's some good news!

Hawg Red

Just curious, who would you be calling a moron if he committed to Kansas, Mississippi State, or some school that isn't in Georgia or Tallahassee? If he ends up at Kansas or Kentucky, how can anyone say it's because his dad was ill?

AirWarren

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 06, 2017, 08:48:38 pm
Just curious, who would you be calling a moron if he committed to Kansas, Mississippi State, or some school that isn't in Georgia or Tallahassee? If he ends up at Kansas or Kentucky, how can anyone say it's because his dad was ill?

You would be one of them.

His coaches say it. A dad of a kid on the team says it. I'll listen to them over a bum hurt fan like yourself.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RealHog on July 06, 2017, 08:43:28 pm
One of our top 2018 targets Ian Steere committed to Creighton today...Omaha Nebraska. How do we lose out to Creighton and Omaha----Besides apparently out coaches voices being good to catch a nap to while he tries to arrange a visit. Just very little recruiting ability with this staff. The complete whiff in 2015, Monk, Perry. It's just sad really.

First, Creighton just had a one and done. There second NBA first rounder in 4 years. There HC just turned down Ohio State and there basketball success speaks for itself. There were also on Steere long before us.

2015 wasn't a whiff at the time. Kapita and Whitt were big time out of state gets. Now, it is for sure a whiff. But at the time excellent recruiting

2016 yeah Monk will always stings. But that class was a massive hit in the recruitng rankings and on the court.

Perry yeah it sucks big time. No way around it. He was the star of this class. Without him the 2018-2019 could be a NCAAt miss if Hall, Garland and Gafford aren't ready to take over.

RealHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 06, 2017, 08:58:54 pm
First, Creighton just had a one and done. There second NBA first rounder in 4 years. There HC just turned down Ohio State and there basketball success speaks for itself. There were also on Steere long before us.

2015 wasn't a whiff at the time. Kapita and Whitt were big time out of state gets. Now, it is for sure a whiff. But at the time excellent recruiting

2016 yeah Monk will always stings. But that class was a massive hit in the recruitng rankings and on the court.

Perry yeah it sucks big time. No way around it. He was the star of this class. Without him the 2018-2019 could be a NCAAt miss if Hall, Garland and Gafford aren't ready to take over.

Just, you kind of summed it up for me, Creighton is a higher profile program than Arkansas now, better recruiting, and AR has a very recent history of big recruiting misses. Yes, we aren't LSU/Johnny Jones bad, we're just okay to good.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 06, 2017, 12:53:19 pm
Perry basically saying he was going to be a one and done could have something to do with this. Mike could have encouraged him to look around :-\. Mike doesn't want one and done's. He wants kids that are going to here at least 3 years.

Do I think a one and done helps us?  Sure, but they are just going to leave after the one year and when we aren't killing it in recruiting the odds of not having a drastic drop off is minimum. 

JenksHawg

You've never seen him play I take it?  I would say - more difference than if Portis had not signed.  He's much better than Portis at this stage IMO.  Class of '18 now becomes very average pending other pickups.  Sills and Joe are nice players but not game changers. 

JenksHawg

RealHog

Quote from: SportsLife on July 06, 2017, 10:57:01 am
Any at all? Depends on where he lands?

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/reggie-perry-de-commits-2-weeks-rumors/

Of course. Pretty soon AR will be in recruiting battles with La Tech as we are afterthoughts to out of state kids.

JenksHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 06, 2017, 10:14:43 am
You aren't paying attention if you think we are neutral. 

Look at the last two years, look at who we have coming back and coming in.  That is far from neutral.  We still have PLENTY of time to find a good replacement for perry and believe it or not, a one and done hurts us at this point in building back the program.  We need 2-4 year players.

did you seriously just say "one and dones hurt the program"?  Especially since we've never had one?  I'd love to find out! :)

BadHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 06, 2017, 06:03:09 pm
Not for sure what the uproar is over losing this supposed one-and-done player.

I have only seen 1 one-and-done player who was truly a difference maker, and that was Anthony Davis.

The rest are prima donnas who usually get exposed when they face actual defenses at the collegiate level.

Us losing this player is not going to change anything for us.  Either way we are still an inconsistent middle-of-the pack program.

It pained me to type that last sentence, but truth/reality can hurt.

I've read five pages of this thread.

I vote for this post.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

HogBreath

No worries..Coach Mike has stated that he is always recruiting.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hawg Red

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 06, 2017, 08:58:54 pm

Justin Patton was a redshirt freshman, so only technically a one-and-done.

Hawg Red

Quote from: AP85 on July 06, 2017, 08:49:48 pm
You would be one of them.

His coaches say it. A dad of a kid on the team says it. I'll listen to them over a bum hurt fan like yourself.

I would be a moron for questioning his REASON (I'm not questioning weather or not the father is ill) for his decommitment if he ends up at a school not close to his home? Why else would someone give that reason for decommitting from a school?

Again, this is about the reason we've been given. He could go anywhere in the country and it doesn't mean his dad isn't sick. That isn't the point (which it's clear you don't get). But when you announce you are decommitting from Arkansas because of her father's health, it can only imply that you need to stay close to home. Kansas ain't close to home. Mississippi State (which they've been rumored to visit) ain't close to home. Kentucky ain't close to home. The whole thing (the reason) smells fishy to me right now. If he ends up somewhere in Georgia or at FSU or Auburn, that would put any skepticism I have to rest.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hoglady on July 06, 2017, 08:19:09 pm
Thanks for posting - I wish I would have listened to "The Buzz" today.
I thought the kid was telling the truth to begin with, saw no reason to make something like that up.
I don't believe Ingram and Fitz Hill are going to lie, either.

Don't know Ingram, but if Fitz Hill were to tell me the sun was coming up in the south tomorrow, I'd go change my sun dial and ask questions later.

PorkRinds

I agree that Fitz wouldn't lie, but he only knows what they tell him.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 08:18:07 am
Always find the common denominator. And since 2011, that's been MA.

And Arkansas. And it's "fans."
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hogs33

lol... you guys do realize we almost knocked out the eventual National Champions from the NCAA tourney right? It was an awesome game (except the outcome.) SO what if we lose out on Perry, get over it and move on.
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

BigSexyHog

But its cool for him to spend most of his summer overseas thousands of miles away and play AAU ball all over the country..... Nice try.  Not buying the sick daddy excuse.  This kid doesn't owe anything to anyone but himself and his family so at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me at all.  It's his choice and no one else.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

3kgthog

Quote from: Hogs33 on July 07, 2017, 11:11:44 am
lol... you guys do realize we almost knocked out the eventual National Champions from the NCAA tourney right? It was an awesome game (except the outcome.) SO what if we lose out on Perry, get over it and move on.

Key point being almost. We've been "almost" every season since Nolan's last Sweet 16 run.

A player like Perry is the one piece Arkansas has needed to compliment the roster and move past "almost". The fact that we can't get a big break for this basketball program is why it's hard for some of us to just get over it.

jry04

His father's health is more important, and I am not sure people are trying to question the validity of his father's health. However, I think the big question people have is why does he have to decommit from Arkansas 13 months in advance because of his father's health right now, but continues to play overseas, in LA, and in AAU tournaments out of state. His father is sick right now, and may be sick in the future, but he continues to travel and play basketball. He can do it now when his dad is certainly sick, but has to decommit from a school he will attend 13 months from now because of travel issues? I personally do not follow it, but it isn't my decision to make. It just seems like a knee-jerk reaction if it is the true reason.

Dominicanhog

thought we were going to hear from Hogdayafternoon about his read on the situation.. I was looking forward to it...

Breems

mizzouman

Quote from: BigSexyHog on July 07, 2017, 11:35:15 am
But its cool for him to spend most of his summer overseas thousands of miles away and play AAU ball all over the country..... Nice try.  Not buying the sick daddy excuse.  This kid doesn't owe anything to anyone but himself and his family so at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me at all.  It's his choice and no one else.
It's about, from what I read, his dad's ability to travel.  Dad was never going to travel overseas to watch his kid play summer ball, but probably would love to see him play college ball.  So, being closer to home makes sense.  I would suspect that playing overseas isn't in play here.  But, I, just like everyone else, is just guessing.

Dominicanhog

willyacs

Miss St thinks they have him. Not sure how that helps with his dad's health, if it's true. How can he play the rest of the summer with the wings? Why not move on now?

The Hogfather

Quote from: willyacs on July 07, 2017, 12:30:24 pm
Miss St thinks they have him. Not sure how that helps with his dad's health, if it's true. How can he play the rest of the summer with the wings? Why not move on now?

Yeah, that would be 7-8 hours away.

ml2200

Why hasn't his dad been offered a job in Arkansas?  We've got some great hospitals, and they used to live here, correct?

Jim Harris

Quote from: mizzouman on July 06, 2017, 03:13:30 pm
I have an entire history of Self and his ways of 'doing business' at ku.  Sad story.

would love to hear it! Like I said too, I have no doubts there are KU boosters who "help." KU has a very good academic institution, but surely by now we know that has nothing to do with attracting 4 and 5 star players, especially from the Far West, not to mention magically appearing from Memphis.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: ml2200 on July 07, 2017, 01:19:28 pm
Why hasn't his dad been offered a job in Arkansas?  We've got some great hospitals, and they used to live here, correct?

I am pretty sure that if, before 5-star kid's senior year in high school, a parent suddenly had a job come open in the Fayetteville area (remember, Monk moved after ninth grade and was already living in Arkansas), that the NCAA would swoop in on the UA and the investigation would last as long as the NCAA wanted, until they found anything, which happened in 1996. Give them a reason to come, and they'll come.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mizzouman

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 07, 2017, 02:39:13 pm
would love to hear it! Like I said too, I have no doubts there are KU boosters who "help." KU has a very good academic institution, but surely by now we know that has nothing to do with attracting 4 and 5 star players, especially from the Far West, not to mention magically appearing from Memphis.
If you got an email address you want to send, I'll forward you a 'timeline' of his shenanigans.

HogFoo

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 06, 2017, 09:51:41 am
It looks like the, "I should accept mediocrity and poor recruiting" guys are coming out of the wood work. Again, Arkansas basketball is eerily starting to feel like Arkansas football. Just sit back and accept mediocre classes and convince yourself how great and top notch they are.
wow.  Man folks need to relax. Even without Perry this is still a top10 class. And there are still guys we can add to it. Possibly 2 since we have Perry spot.  That DJWeaver guy looks great to me, even after his injury. Also that SG/PG. Moss? He look good too. Folks need to calm down.its gonna be fine.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

King Kong

Quote from: HogFoo on July 07, 2017, 02:52:19 pm
Even without Perry this is still a top10 class

Without Perry this will not end up a top 10 class. Historically (teams with similarly rated players) this will finish in the high teens to mid 20's. If we can add Moss maybe around mid teens.

Assuming nobody significantly drops or rises in the rankings. Which currently seems likely

Arthur pigby sellers.

I'm not as knowledgeable about college basketball as most of the posters on here, but it think losing Perry will probably have a big impact on the program over the course of the next few years. We have been weak at the 4 spot recently, and having a five star talent come in and man that position for a year would set us up for a final four run.  Losing out on Monk wasn't that big of a deal since we had two very talented JUCO come in and got hot near tournament time. With Monk we still probably lose to UNC, but if we had a five star freshman at the four spot we probably beat UNC. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 07, 2017, 11:35:22 am
Key point being almost. We've been "almost" every season since Nolan's last Sweet 16 run.

Are you drunk?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 07, 2017, 12:31:16 pm
Yeah, that would be 7-8 hours away.

But isn't it 7-8 hours closer?  Lets be honest here.  He is probably going to use the Dad thing as true as it may be, as his reasoning for being lured to a new possibility, it is exactly a head coaches job during the recruiting process. 

All keep in mind, Mike won't talk to a recruit while he is committed to another school. 

King Kong

July 07, 2017, 05:58:43 pm #248 Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:21:56 pm by King Kong
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 07, 2017, 04:55:04 pm
Are you drunk?

Ironically it's the most sense he has ever made in a post

PonderinHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 07, 2017, 05:54:30 pm
But isn't it 7-8 hours closer?  Lets be honest here.  He is probably going to use the Dad thing as true as it may be, as his reasoning for being lured to a new possibility, it is exactly a head coaches job during the recruiting process. 

All keep in mind, Mike won't talk to a recruit while he is committed to another school.
Then he needs to be talking, a lot, right now.  And I'm sure he is.