Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toughest Three Week Stretch of Games for 2017

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 23, 2017, 10:02:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: rljjr on June 30, 2017, 07:42:41 am
Just don't understand the USC-East hype. Muschamp, who had all of the built-in advantages of Florida, couldn't get it done there. Why then would anyone believe he's going to take USC-E, who has less history, pedigree and advantages, back to a 10-win type of atmosphere? I get they play in the East and it's infinitely easier, but if we apply the same "he has to prove it first" rubric that ALWAYS is applied to Arkansas then I'll believe it when I see it.

As for the other three, I'll believe we beat Bama when we actually do it. At least we're typically reasonably competitive in that game. Auburn doesn't scare me, but Gus seems to get his guys up for that game. We get them at home and we're irritated about last year so that will be a good game. Ole Miss is our little sister now. They're still broken from the Henry Heave, and while they still have good players, we've beaten their best teams in the last 50 years (FIFTY!!!) so I'm not afraid of that competition. 

I would hope 2-2 is the worst case scenario.

Ole Miss was good in 2015 but they weren't good last year and the on going NCAA investigation has really damaged their recruiting. That program is in shambles.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 07:50:06 am
Ole Miss was good in 2015 but they weren't good last year and the on going NCAA investigation has really damaged their recruiting. That program is in shambles.

Guv

For the million and 15th time..

We won't see the impact on their recruiting until maybe next year at the earliest
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on June 30, 2017, 07:55:21 am

Guv

For the million and 15th time..

We won't see the impact on their recruiting until maybe next year at the earliest

I respectfully disagree. They didn't have a very good recruiting class last year and this years class is worse. They lost quite a few starters off of last years team and depth will be a serious issue for them too.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 08:08:43 am
I respectfully disagree. They didn't have a very good recruiting class last year and this years class is worse. They lost quite a few starters off of last years team and depth will be a serious issue for them too.

Wrong. Their 2016 class was really good according to the "services"

Their 2017 class took a hit but probably wouldn't provide much impact this year.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on June 30, 2017, 08:22:05 am

Wrong. Their 2016 class was really good according to the "services"

Their 2017 class took a hit but probably wouldn't provide much impact this year.

We'll find out because a lot of that class will have to play this year as well as some of their Freshman. They aren't picked to finish DEAD LAST in the SEC west by almost every pundit for no reason.

rhames

June 30, 2017, 08:41:09 am #55 Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:07:37 am by rhames
Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 08:32:22 am
We'll find out because a lot of that class will have to play this year as well as some of their Freshman. They aren't picked to finish DEAD LAST in the SEC west by almost every pundit for no reason.

Yeah. Finishing last means it's impossible to beat an average arkansas team at home in the latter part of the season.

Jborohog09

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2017, 08:32:22 am

Because preseason predictions are always so accurate.  Their QB will give them a chance in a lot of their games.

GuvHog

Quote from: Jborohog09 on June 30, 2017, 09:17:25 am
Because preseason predictions are always so accurate.  Their QB will give them a chance in a lot of their games.

It takes 11 players on both sides of the ball to win games. The Ole Miss QB is pretty good but he doesn't have much talent around him.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on June 30, 2017, 08:41:09 am

Yeah. Finishing last means it's impossible to beat an average arkansas team at home in the latter part of the season.

Arkansas will be a better than average team this year and you are correct, Ole Miss won't beat the Hogs in the latter part of the season this year.

elksnort

We should beat everyone but Alabama in this stretch. We should be an improved football team this fall, especially in terms of consistency. Lack of consistency was the issue last season obviously.

The defense should be better or they darn sure ought to be. Who knows about the special teams. I can not imagine we will be better at punter, for sure. Hopefully, Hedlund (sp) will improve.

Offense is still the key to this Bret Bielema lead regime at Arkansas, in my opinion. IF WE RUN BLOCK WELL ENOUGH and CONSISTENTLY ENOUGH, we will win games.

Run blocking is the deal. It opens up the passing, protects the defense, runs time off the clock, etc.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Jborohog09 on June 30, 2017, 09:17:25 am

Patterson is a better runner than Chad Kelly was, but Kelly is by far the better passer of the two. Kelly was responsible for (on average) 343 YPG of Ole Miss' total yards and when Patterson played, he was responsible for 349 YPG of the total offense. I suspect that his first year as a true starter, he isn't going to be much better than Kelly was as the starter.
Go Hogs Go!

Jborohog09

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2017, 12:08:17 pm
Patterson is a better runner than Chad Kelly was, but Kelly is by far the better passer of the two. Kelly was responsible for (on average) 343 YPG of Ole Miss' total yards and when Patterson played, he was responsible for 349 YPG of the total offense. I suspect that his first year as a true starter, he isn't going to be much better than Kelly was as the starter.

Oh he definitely isn't a better passer than Kelly.  I just think his ability to buy time and athleticism will help make-up for other deficiencies in their offense.  Not quite a Johnny Manziel, but similar in that regard. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 26, 2017, 04:21:37 pm
He's a Senior this coming season. I think TCU plays us closer than A&M will. I believe we put A&M away this year.

I think I may have to amend my statement above. While the way he played in TCU's spring game was unimpressive and maybe he plays better when we kick it off, Kenny Hill and the TCU offense had a very underwhelming spring game. It was so bad, it prompted this comment from ESPN.

TCU redshirt senior QB Kenny Hill completed 3-of-9 passes for 15 yards and two interceptions in the team's spring game.

Oh dear, this was a poor showing for Hill, but more than that, it was simply a dirge-like performance for the TCU offense on the whole. They failed to score on 15-of-16 possessions.

Horned Frogs HC Gary Patterson addressed both of Hill's interceptions, saying, "One was a good play (by the defense). The other one, he just threw it to us. We've got to be better than that."

Hill led the Big 12 in interceptions with 13 this past season and decision-making remains an issue in his game, but he will be the likely starter come the open of the 2017 season unless the wheels completely fall off in August.

May 7 - 2:36 PM
Source: ESPN.com
Go Hogs Go!