Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this the future of College Sports?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 22, 2017, 09:51:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on June 26, 2017, 10:14:01 am
This is what keeps me from cutting the cord. I do not want to have to subscribe to PSVUE & Hulu and Netflix, and Amazon, and have a antenna and have to have limits on how may tv's I can stream to at once, or have to have multiple fire sticks, etc, with limited or no dvr capability. The convenience of having one bundle is worth it for me.
Not to mention that the cable that serves me has been very reliable thus far.

gchamblee

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 26, 2017, 06:12:42 pm
In our case, we just found we weren't watching TV enough to justify the large (and growing larger bills).  The cord cutting trimmed our TV bill by right at one half - for us it was worth it but as with many things, YEMV. 

Edit: I did forget to mention Amazon - $99 per year but we use a good deal of the other services as well.  From a TV standpoint only, I would never suggest getting Amazon for its streaming content as it just does not have enough.

True on Amazon. I get my moneys worth with the free 2 day shipping though.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 26, 2017, 06:12:42 pm
In our case, we just found we weren't watching TV enough to justify the large (and growing larger bills).  The cord cutting trimmed our TV bill by right at one half - for us it was worth it but as with many things, YEMV. 

Edit: I did forget to mention Amazon - $99 per year but we use a good deal of the other services as well.  From a TV standpoint only, I would never suggest getting Amazon for its streaming content as it just does not have enough.

We have prime and the wife watches some stuff.

hogsanity

Quote from: ImHogginIt on June 26, 2017, 05:46:12 pm
Seems like a lot of jumping through hoops compared to just turning on each TV and viewing what I want.

And the cord cutters always want to not include the cost of the internet connection, but without that the streaming does not work.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on June 27, 2017, 09:53:44 am
And the cord cutters always want to not include the cost of the internet connection, but without that the streaming does not work.

We dont include the cost of electricity either.

hogsanity

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2017, 09:57:29 am
True enough, but to be fair, internet access is pretty much the norm these days.  Now whether the connection is sufficient enough to support streaming is another story, but I do agree that all costs and factors need to be considered when making this decision. 

And I have no issue with those going the non cable route, but I just question the actual savings once everything is figured in.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2017, 10:20:27 am
As I noted above, I am saving money compared to what I used to spend on DirecTV at first, then later Dish but this exercise in cord cutting is making me question even subscribing to PS Vue when I consider how few channels of it I actually use as well.  I guess the upside here is the process of closely examining the content I actually consume has allowed me to scale back expenditures and I don't feel like I am spending as much time in front of the TV.

Now, if I could just do the same with Hogville!   >:(

For us the big issue is how varied our viewing is. My wife is hgtv/diy type stuff, I am AHC/Disc/Hist and sports. My 14 year old is sports and action movies. And we use the dvr a great deal.

31to6

Quote from: UAfanatic on June 26, 2017, 11:31:15 am
The Bottom Line is that cable dying is not the same as the passion of the fans for their teams being dead..

So there will be another avenue as fans will get their access.. an on-demand type pay structure, or more likely a hulu/netflix for sports fans that may bring in more money for colleges.
So much this...

As long as college fans are buying TV's there will be a way to monetize the sport. It just may be more complex and people may have to pay more directly for the future streaming/cable cutting/on demand distribution methods.

College sports viewership (all sports, not just FB) is going *up* not down.

The problem is that ESPN's model of bullying their subscription fee into the basic and intermediate cable/satellite bundles and thereby getting money from people who don't like sports is being destroyed by cable cutting.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on June 27, 2017, 09:53:44 am

99.9% of cord cutters would have internet already anyway. THAT is the one thing they won't get rid of. Therefore you might as well use it to lower your TV viewing cost.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HiggiePiggy

I'm just wondering when ESPN will be a stand alone like HBO. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 08, 2017, 10:15:26 am
I'm just wondering when ESPN will be a stand alone like HBO. 

Many market estimates are that ESPN would have to charge $30+ per month if it were offered as a stand alone premium like HBO.

GuvHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on June 25, 2017, 09:32:04 am
Not really about affording it.  People shouldn't have to pay 100+ for tv and then watch new subscribers to providers get a discount while others that have been with them for awhile get price hikes.

That doesn't bother me. I'm a Directv subscriber and I know that those discounts that the new subscribers get are only temporary so they will eventually be paying the higher prices too. I wouldn't think of giving up Directv.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 06, 2017, 08:44:39 pm
Uh-oh - Looks like Play Station has lost their understanding of the market and looks like I'll be changing vendors.  A $10 increase for fewer channels is not what the market is demanding.  From PSV website:

Yep those cord cutters who are saving money now won't be doing so for long. I remember when satellite TV became the rage. A person could put one of those giant dishes in their yard and subscribe to whatever channels they wanted and then it became so expensive that it was cheaper to get something like Directv and get a bunch of channels for one price. Now some believe that's too high and they are looking for ways to cut the cord. Soon that will get too expensive and some will be looking for something else.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 08, 2017, 08:06:08 am
99.9% of cord cutters would have internet already anyway. THAT is the one thing they won't get rid of. Therefore you might as well use it to lower your TV viewing cost.

That's fine, but it still has to be figured into the cost of their tv because without it they can't stream anything.

waphill

Uh-oh - Looks like Play Station has lost their understanding of the market and looks like I'll be changing vendors.  A $10 increase for fewer channels is not what the market is demanding.  From PSV website:

Yep, they're losing me. They dropped the one channel that I watch 75% of the time, and then up my bill 30%.

hogsanity

So who you going to run to now - until they change their price anyway?

gchamblee

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2017, 12:12:14 pm
Yep those cord cutters who are saving money now won't be doing so for long. I remember when satellite TV became the rage. A person could put one of those giant dishes in their yard and subscribe to whatever channels they wanted and then it became so expensive that it was cheaper to get something like Directv and get a bunch of channels for one price. Now some believe that's too high and they are looking for ways to cut the cord. Soon that will get too expensive and some will be looking for something else.

You are so uninformed and critical of things you do not understand. I can assure you I am paying quite a bit less than you for my television viewing, and the ps vue price hike still doesn't get me close to the prices you are paying. I can change packages on the fly, don't have to rent any equipment, don't pay franchise fees and 3 or 4 other made up charges, can switch providers within 30 seconds of deciding I want to and the list goes on and on. Keep trying to make us look stupid for not paying as much as you for the same channels.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on July 10, 2017, 12:33:35 pm
That's fine, but it still has to be figured into the cost of their tv because without it they can't stream anything.
Ill add it to my cost if you will add it to yours. It is not a new expense, you and I both pay for internet already. Now, since we have established that, lets look at the costs of television packages, unless you would like for me to add my electric bill to my costs since I can watch any of it without electricity.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on July 10, 2017, 04:09:46 pm
So who you going to run to now - until they change their price anyway?

Why are you trying to shame him for having choices and competing services wanting his business lol.

hogsanity

Quote from: gchamblee on July 11, 2017, 09:01:44 am
Ill add it to my cost if you will add it to yours. It is not a new expense, you and I both pay for internet already. Now, since we have established that, lets look at the costs of television packages, unless you would like for me to add my electric bill to my costs since I can watch any of it without electricity.

I do add it to my cost because it is part of the bundle I pay for.

Quote from: gchamblee on July 11, 2017, 09:02:56 am
Why are you trying to shame him for having choices and competing services wanting his business lol.

I am not trying to shame anyone. I have looked into the options the cord cutters talk about, and they always seem to leave out things. For me, and I am just speaking for my family of 4, it is not worth it to have to have streaming devices or smart tv's in 3 or 4 rooms. I do not want to have to subscribe to ps vue, plus hulu and netflix and amazon to piece together the tv package I have now. I do not want to be limited on how many tv's I can use at one time on a particular service.

Now, in 4 years when it is just me and my wife at home, that may very well be an option, but right now it is not worth it to me.

PLHawg

We cut off Directv in January because our bill was getting ready to go back up to $130 a month unless we re-upped for another contract.  Seriously, half the channels on Directv that we were paying for were informercial channels, and we literally watched like 5 channels outside of the network channels. In addition our teenage boys never watched Directv, they only watch Netflix and Youtube.  Not counting the cost of internet, which is irrelevant because we have to have it anyway, we're paying like $13 a month for Netflix, $8 a month for Hulu and $100 a year for Amazon Prime, which my wife really initially used for the two day shipping (although we definitely use Amazon Video and I've replaced iTunes with Amazon music).  For our main tv we purchased a Mohu Leaf antenna for our network stations, which was a one time $50 purchase.  Not counting the cost of the antenna and factoring in the yearly cost of Amazon Prime we're paying around $30 a month - compared to $130 a month that we were paying for Directv.  I will possibly do a Sling TV subscription once football season starts for ESPN and SEC Network, which is around $30 a month, but it's month to month - no contract required.  I can honestly say after 6 months cutting the cord, we don't miss it whatsoever, and we're saving a lot of money.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on July 11, 2017, 08:59:28 am
You are so uninformed and critical of things you do not understand. I can assure you I am paying quite a bit less than you for my television viewing, and the ps vue price hike still doesn't get me close to the prices you are paying. I can change packages on the fly, don't have to rent any equipment, don't pay franchise fees and 3 or 4 other made up charges, can switch providers within 30 seconds of deciding I want to and the list goes on and on. Keep trying to make us look stupid for not paying as much as you for the same channels.

Oh I understand very clearly. I just realize that your rates will keep rising and soon you'll be paying as much as I do for TV channels. That's just the way it works. Demand pushes prices up. I don't think you're stupid at all, I just know you are getting what is only a temporary reprieve.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PLHawg on July 11, 2017, 09:58:48 am
We cut off Directv in January because our bill was getting ready to go back up to $130 a month unless we re-upped for another contract.  Seriously, half the channels on Directv that we were paying for were informercial channels, and we literally watched like 5 channels outside of the network channels. In addition our teenage boys never watched Directv, they only watch Netflix and Youtube.  Not counting the cost of internet, which is irrelevant because we have to have it anyway, we're paying like $13 a month for Netflix, $8 a month for Hulu and $100 a year for Amazon Prime, which my wife really initially used for the two day shipping (although we definitely use Amazon Video and I've replaced iTunes with Amazon music).  For our main tv we purchased a Mohu Leaf antenna for our network stations, which was a one time $50 purchase.  Not counting the cost of the antenna and factoring in the yearly cost of Amazon Prime we're paying around $30 a month - compared to $130 a month that we were paying for Directv.  I will possibly do a Sling TV subscription once football season starts for ESPN and SEC Network, which is around $30 a month, but it's month to month - no contract required.  I can honestly say after 6 months cutting the cord, we don't miss it whatsoever, and we're saving a lot of money.

So is the 130 a month with direct tv including internet?  And is the the 30 you are paying including internet?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GuvHog

Quote from: PLHawg on July 11, 2017, 09:58:48 am

Our Directv bill is $135 a month but we also have the Starz-Encore package and the Hallmark Movie Channel package as extras.

PLHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on July 11, 2017, 12:33:58 pm
Our Directv bill is $135 a month but we also have the Starz-Encore package and the Hallmark Movie Channel package as extras.

The $130 a month is just the cost of Directv.  The $30 a month doesn't include the cost of internet, I've left that out because I'm going to be paying for internet regardless of whether I have Satellite/cable or not.

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on July 13, 2017, 01:05:56 pm

The $130 a month is just the cost of Directv.  The $30 a month doesn't include the cost of internet, I've left that out because I'm going to be paying for internet regardless of whether I have Satellite/cable or not.

That may be, but for those who are using streaming for their tv, they have to include that cost because they can't stream with the internet.