Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best highlight reel to date of Reggie Perry ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, June 06, 2017, 09:40:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Wow that was awesome and wasn't he mainly going up against 4 and 5 stars?

Dominicanhog

WOWW.. we may finally have the PF I've been hoping for since 1976, he looks once in a generation for us.... reminds me a bit of James Worthy with his dunks and running the floor and the Mailman with his inside and mid-range game.. but appears to have better range...

the OP keeps saying " why he'll be a pro"  his ability to create and knock down outside shots... I agree..

Kevin McPherson

June 07, 2017, 10:29:48 am #3 Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:07:10 am by HOGdayafternoon
Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 07, 2017, 12:21:56 am
Wow that was awesome and wasn't he mainly going up against 4 and 5 stars?

Absolutely. I've gotten to see Perry play in person so many times, both practices and games, and he's always the best player on the court. He destroyed Top 15 and 5-star E.J. Montgomery at Real Deal in the Rock back in early April. He was one of the top players, arguably the best, during Adidas Gauntlet (two sessions) going up against some of the best players in the country. He just made a statement at Pangos where he was arguably the best player there.

The other thing is, he's a nice, humble young man off the court with a strong, supportive family. He is an Arkansan to the core, he'll be the first to tell you that. He lived here for approximately 7 years before moving to the Tallahassee area with his family, but he's been in the ARHawks organization before the move and since, and he's 100% Arkansan.

I have ZERO doubt that if he were uncommitted right now and being pursued by KY, Duke, and the other bluebloods who started coming to his AAU games last July (he committed to Arkansas in mid-August) that he'd already be a 5-star according to all the services and probably ranked in the Top 10 for 2018, which is where I've been saying for a year he belongs.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Dominicanhog on June 07, 2017, 08:54:43 am
WOWW.. we may finally have the PF I've been hoping for since 1976, he looks once in a generation for us.... reminds me a bit of James Worthy with his dunks and running the floor and the Mailman with his inside and mid-range game.. but appears to have better range...

the OP keeps saying " why he'll be a pro"  his ability to create and knock down outside shots... I agree..

He'll be a pro because he can play inside and out; he's long, agile, and athletic (although not a big leaper); strong with an NBA-ready body; has plus-handles and plus court-awareness for a big; can shoot at all 3 levels; and can be a bull inside at both ends of the floor.

I've seen comparisons to Dedrick Lawson (which I really don't think says nearly enough about Reggie's game) and a few others, but I've felt that he compares more with guys like Chris Webber and Lamar Odom in terms of how he impacts the game as a 4 who can be a force inside, but w/3 skils and ability to be highly effective facing up all the way out to the 3-point line, in transition, handles and vision, etc.

Go back to what made Webber and Odom so good: One night those guys would go out and get you 25 points and 15 rebounds while being more of an interior force, and the next night they would give you 12 points, 11 rebounds, and 7 or 8 assists because of their floor skills and ability to do wing and guard things. We're talking about 4s who can rebound and block shots at one end, then push and go coast-to-coast like a PG! Match-up nightmares! Now, Perry is not a replica of those 2 guys physically or athletically, but the comparison is 4s with rare abilities to play and impact games the way they do.

The_Iceman

chiti66

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 07, 2017, 10:47:09 am
He'll be a pro because he can play inside and out; he's long, agile, and athletic (although not a big leaper); strong with an NBA-ready body; has plus-handles and plus court-awareness for a big; can shoot at all 3 levels; and can be a bull inside at both ends of the floor.

I've seen comparisons to Dedrick Lawson (which I really don't think says nearly enough about Reggie's game) and a few others, but I've felt that he compares more with guys like Chris Webber and Lamar Odom in terms of how he impacts the game as a 4 who can be a force inside, but w/3 skils and ability to be highly effective facing up all the way out to the 3-point line, in transition, handles and vision, etc.

Go back to what made Webber and Odom so good: One night those guys would go out and get you 25 points and 15 rebounds while being more of an interior force, and the next night they would give you 12 points, 11 rebounds, and 7 or 8 assists because of their floor skills and ability to do wing and guard things. We're talking about 4s who can rebound and block shots at one end, then push and go coast-to-coast like a PG! Match-up nightmares! Now, Perry is not a replica of those 2 guys physically or athletically, but the comparison is 4s with rare abilities to play and impact games the way they do.

Great comparisons, definitely see the Webber comparison. 

azhog10

I spoke to a guy who runs some showcase events here in AZ. He bring Dinos Trigonis out once or twice a year to AZ. He was at the Pangos event and I asked him how Reggie looked. His reply "one word....a beast". Selfishly I hope the NBA doesn't change the one and done rule until 2019 because if Reggie keeps improving he could get drafted. He's got a great feel for the game, his face up game in the post is high level and his overall skill and athleticism will get some looks from NBA teams. He may not be a lottery pick coming out of high school but I could see an NBA team taking a second round pick on him knowing he will be a first rounder one or two years out of college. Just hope Reggie sees the value in waiting (that's if he's not a projected lottery guy out of high school).

The_Iceman

I don't think the NBA owners want to go back to the high school rule. They like the ability to evaluate a player against college competition.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 07, 2017, 10:47:09 am

Agree with everything and would add that he can be really "sudden" finishing at the rim just like Webber was in college.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

AlmaHog2011

Man that kid can play. Webber is who he reminds me of. Very well rounded game and with his size..Wow.

HogFoo

I agree he reminds me of webber.  Man, we've missed having a player his caliber at a 4.  hopefully Gafford will be around when the "5" get to campus.  Speaking of Gafford, anyone got an update on his injury or whatever happened to him? 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogFoo on June 13, 2017, 11:49:04 pm
I agree he reminds me of webber.  Man, we've missed having a player his caliber at a 4.  hopefully Gafford will be around when the "5" get to campus.  Speaking of Gafford, anyone got an update on his injury or whatever happened to him?

Gafford is not a one and done player.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 14, 2017, 05:59:04 am
Gafford is not a one and done player.

I agree as of today. You just never know, though, how quickly a player with his gifts acclimates to the high-major level. His frame is perfect for adding muscle and weight without compromising his agility and bounce. Skill-wise he made strides his senior year of high school, but still seems a ways off from a one-and-done caliber prospect.

Arkansas's system seems like the perfect for him because of how he glides from end-to-end quickly, so that alone could be a factor in helping his statisitical production as well as promoting his strengths as a player. IF he comes in and averages 10-12 points, 8-10 boards, and 2-3 blocks per game -- AND comes on big time toward the end of the season to help Arkansas advance to say a Sweet 16 or beyond -- I could see a scenario where he gets low 1st-round, high 2-round draft grades.

Having said all of that, from this vantage point I think it's more likely Dan will be a 2-3 year college player.

King Kong

KM in your opinion what can we expect from Gafford at the free throw line? And maybe your opinion of his long term potential just based on his mechanics.

Just the google stats I have seen are around 52%.

mhuff

Appears many of our commits the next two years stand to improve FT shooting in a big way

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 14, 2017, 10:38:48 am
I agree as of today. You just never know, though, how quickly a player with his gifts acclimates to the high-major level. His frame is perfect for adding muscle and weight without compromising his agility and bounce. Skill-wise he made strides his senior year of high school, but still seems a ways off from a one-and-done caliber prospect.

Arkansas's system seems like the perfect for him because of how he glides from end-to-end quickly, so that alone could be a factor in helping his statisitical production as well as promoting his strengths as a player. IF he comes in and averages 10-12 points, 8-10 boards, and 2-3 blocks per game -- AND comes on big time toward the end of the season to help Arkansas advance to say a Sweet 16 or beyond -- I could see a scenario where he gets low 1st-round, high 2-round draft grades.

Having said all of that, from this vantage point I think it's more likely Dan will be a 2-3 year college player.

Exactly, never count out a coordinated, long, 6'11", super athletic guy from going to the NBA.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: King Kong on June 14, 2017, 11:20:16 am
KM in your opinion what can we expect from Gafford at the free throw line? And maybe your opinion of his long term potential just based on his mechanics.

Just the google stats I have seen are around 52%.

His mechanics are good, but his timing/routine at the line has not been consistent. They'll work on that. I wouldn't expect a big improvement right away, but maybe they can correct some things early and the percentage jumps above 60%. We'll see.

RazorAg

Yeah, I'm the Dedric Lawson comparison guy. And, yeah, I do agree that Reggie is more well-rounded than Dedric. But, I think he's closer to Dedric than he is Webber and Odom. Webber was signicantly more explosive and quick. Odom was far more of a facilitator and ball-handler. I won't argue strongly, though. We're talking small differences. They're all pretty good comparisons.

Excited to see Perry's rise in rankings.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: RazorAg on June 14, 2017, 08:23:44 pm
Yeah, I'm the Dedric Lawson comparison guy. And, yeah, I do agree that Reggie is more well-rounded than Dedric. But, I think he's closer to Dedric than he is Webber and Odom. Webber was signicantly more explosive and quick. Odom was far more of a facilitator and ball-handler. I won't argue strongly, though. We're talking small differences. They're all pretty good comparisons.

Excited to see Perry's rise in rankings.

We'll agree to disagree. Again, the comparisons to Webber and Odom were not about athleticism or size, but about the ability to impact the game like a 3, sometimes even like a guard, away from the basket in the halfcourt and in transition. That's simply not Dedric Lawson's game. As for Webber, the further his career moved along, the more and more he played away from the basket because he was such a matchup nightmare for 4s trying to cover him. Absolutely more explosive than Reggie (as was Odom) but you might be under-valuing RP's quickness = he's constantly pilfering the ball away from guards out on the floor. Reggie a better handler on the move than Webber, but as you said maybe not as good as Odom, who BTW was able to play inside-out, and was one of the first 4s in the modern game to impact the game doing wing and guard things. I've seen RP enough to see a similar impact. Not exactly like those guys, but enough similarities. The only relevant comparisons with Lawson are similar size and lack of big-time lift. Lawson can't do all of the things Reggie can, and really there are a lot more differences in their games than there are similarities.

RazorAg

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on June 14, 2017, 09:30:25 pm
We'll agree to disagree. Again, the comparisons to Webber and Odom were not about athleticism or size, but about the ability to impact the game like a 3, sometimes even like a guard, away from the basket in the halfcourt and in transition. That's simply not Dedric Lawson's game. As for Webber, the further his career moved along, the more and more he played away from the basket because he was such a matchup nightmare for 4s trying to cover him. Absolutely more explosive than Reggie (as was Odom) but you might be under-valuing RP's quickness = he's constantly pilfering the ball away from guards out on the floor. Reggie a better handler on the move than Webber, but as you said maybe not as good as Odom, who BTW was able to play inside-out, and was one of the first 4s in the modern game to impact the game doing wing and guard things. I've seen RP enough to see a similar impact. Not exactly like those guys, but enough similarities. The only relevant comparisons with Lawson are similar size and lack of big-time lift. Lawson can't do all of the things Reggie can, and really there are a lot more differences in their games than there are similarities.
Yep, I could give more, but I won't. Agree to disagree like you said.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 07, 2017, 01:05:09 pm
I don't think the NBA owners want to go back to the high school rule. They like the ability to evaluate a player against college competition.
That's why they should evaluate for at least two years.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: RazorAg on June 15, 2017, 06:30:48 am
Yep, I could give more, but I won't. Agree to disagree like you said.

I'm probably not giving your take enough credit, because I don't think Dedric does as much away from the hoop as the other names mentioned here. There are some similarities beyond just size and lack of lift, though, so in fairness to your comparison I felt compelled to jump back in here and acknowledge that.

Hogs49ers

June 15, 2017, 10:49:33 pm #25 Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:02:15 pm by Hogs49ers
I absolutely love his competitiveness and that stare down right at the beginning of this video!!! That freaking pumps me up, cannot wait to have him on the court as a Hog!
I think the main reason he is so dominate is his constant motor, every time I watch him play he absolutely out works everyone on the court, great footwork, constantly moving.  Also, just an extremely high basketball IQ!  What can I say, he was born to play this game - he's just a baller...

I know he is a 1 and done type player, but because of his absolute LOVE for the Hogs - I can actually see him sticking around for 2 years (Like Portis) to play with his best friends 1 more year and the fact they likely would be a legitimate national title contender!

Thoughts?
SCREW Vandy!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogs49ers on June 15, 2017, 10:49:33 pm
I absolutely love his competitiveness and that stare down right at the beginning of this video!!! That freaking pumps me up, cannot wait to have him on the court as a Hog!
I think the main reason he is so dominate is his constant motor, every time I watch him play he absolutely out works everyone on the court, great footwork, constantly moving.  Also, just an extremely high basketball IQ!  What can I say, he was born to play this game - he's just a baller...

I know he is a 1 and done type player, but because of his absolute LOVE for the Hogs - I can actually see him sticking around for 2 years (Like Portis) to play with his best friends 1 more year and the fact they likely would be a legitimate national title contender!

Thoughts?

I think his athleticism will keep him at Arkansas two years. Lot could change between now and then, though. Skill-wise, he's a one-and-done for sure.

Little Lady Back

Just when I thought that I could not possibly get anymore excited than I already am about the next couple of classes coming in, I see this! Just WOW!!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt